• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

longdi

Banned
Some of you are, at some point, going to have to articulate your complaints beyond URRGH ITS WOKE. I mean I've one watched one episode so what do I know, but put some more effort into your criticism.

I read the critics and imo seems fair, so its not URGH WOKE as you put it...

People enjoyed and can appreciate the expanded lore, but the bad parts are so bad and illogical, that it feels like subversive 'artists' hacks always depends on shock factor to display their 'directing talent', well lack of. Like what's the logic to make Teela look like a male stereotyped view of strong woman?

and like ghostbuster 2016, those who enjoy the shock factor that's offended the fanbase, will put out theories to gloss over the bad writing choices. It's really just mocking and piling on others unhappiness. 🤷‍♀️

Mossybrew

It's really just mocking and piling on others unhappiness. 🤷‍♀️

And yes its my opinion that if you are that invested in these dumb corporate products, that if the new corporate overlords dictate it go in a direction you don't like, that that genuinely makes you unhappy, you are a tool.

Mossybrew

Like what's the logic to make Teela look like a male stereotyped view of strong woman?

Ok so what is with this, are you a woman and interpreting Teela as a male-gaze type whateverthefuck, where is this shit coming from that you are offended by a male written female character? Maybe you are a dude that knows women so much better, that you would do it differently, or what's going on here really?

longdi

Banned
And yes its my opinion that if you are that invested in these dumb corporate products, that if the new corporate overlords dictate it go in a direction you don't like, that that genuinely makes you unhappy, you are a tool.

You fit my description then. How about addressing the criticisms of the show that has been brought up?

Why does directors that crave subversion, not have the courage to do it on their own creation, but bank on existing IP shock value?

longdi

Banned
Ok so what is with this, are you a woman and interpreting Teela as a male-gaze type whateverthefuck, where is this shit coming from that you are offended by a male written female character? Maybe you are a dude that knows women so much better, that you would do it differently, or what's going on here really?

As i said, Smith is using stereotypes to combat stereotypes. So yes male written female characters.
More cheap shock value 🤷‍♀️

Teela art is but one of issues brought up.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

, not have the courage to do it on their own creation, but bank on existing IP shock value?

Give me a break lol. The only people that would consider any development in the HE MAN UNIVERSE as SHOCK VALUE are fucking turbo nerds so lost up their own ass that their opinion has less weight than a dandelion seed on the breeze.

nush

Kevin Smith going to the Netflix office on Monday.

Cc31iQd7rBcC.gif

longdi

Banned
Give me a break lol. The only people that would consider any development in the HE MAN UNIVERSE as SHOCK VALUE are fucking turbo nerds so lost up their own ass that their opinion has less weight than a dandelion seed on the breeze.

No need to get so worked up. Afaics it, this is another lazy shock value to get the publicity, and those on the woke scale on board. Lazy smith knows he will get enough woke defenders on his sides, so bad writing logic be damned. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Mossybrew

No need to get so worked up. Afaics it, this is another lazy shock value to get the publicity,

Dude, who is going to be SHOCKED by the direction of this cartoon? Fucking nobody. This is crazy talk thinking that stuff you invest emotionally into is a shared experience, sorry to burst your bubble but nobody (the figurative nobody) cares enough about HE MAN in the year of our lord 2021 to be SHOCKED by anything they could possibly do.

Mossybrew

LOL anyone who thinks HE MAN is some universally beloved property that has been shit upon and fans are now so angry, you are as out of touch as any boomer. Like if they remade Gilligan's Island and made Ginger the focus of some new arc, you'd be up in arms because The Professor was clearly the main protagonist. Fucking LOL at your baby boomer mentality that the stuff of your youth must never change, you are as dumb as your grandparents but just can't see it.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Dude, who is going to be SHOCKED by the direction of this cartoon? Fucking nobody. This is crazy talk thinking that stuff you invest emotionally into is a shared experience, sorry to burst your bubble but nobody (the figurative nobody) cares enough about HE MAN in the year of our lord 2021 to be SHOCKED by anything they could possibly do.

LOL anyone who thinks HE MAN is some universally beloved property that has been shit upon and fans are now so angry, you are as out of touch as any boomer. Like if they remade Gilligan's Island and made Ginger the focus of some new arc, you'd be up in arms because The Professor was clearly the main protagonist. Fucking LOL at your baby boomer mentality that the stuff of your youth must never change, you are as dumb as your grandparents but just can't see it.

idk friend, you seemed pretty worked up with the valid criticisms that have been put across. because the negative reviewers are all 'URGH WOKE BOOMER', amirite? 🤷‍♀️

see what i mean about lazy smith writing trope modern media and letting the tropey defenders to patch the poor writing

Mossybrew

Gotta love how Mossybrew is more worked up about this on the inverse than the people who are actually unhappy with the series. Self awareness level zero. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Oh come now. I know text is hard to parse emotionally, but I'm just having fun because I'm moderately drunk and bored. And people are making themselves easy targets in this thread IMO hehe.I am not the least bit worked up about this, but just killing some time before bed.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Gotta love how Mossybrew is more worked up about this on the inverse than the people who are actually unhappy with the series. Self awareness level zero. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It seems par for the course for fans of the show. They (in this case Moss) get hysterical over any criticism about the show and begin personally insulting people, over something as trivial as a He-Man cartoon mind you, calling everyone else dorks or bigots and more while never stopping and realizing they're actually everything that they're projecting upon others. Feels like an angry castaway from *ahem* some other place.

nush

Oh come now. I know text is hard to parse emotionally, but I'm just having fun because I'm moderately drunk and bored. And people are making themselves easy targets in this thread IMO hehe.I am not the least bit worked up about this, but just killing some time before bed.

That's cool man, I get you. I'm just here watching the shitshow for fun too. I don't even have Netflix.

Mossybrew

LOL nevermind, as far as I'm concerned this was all light spirited verbal jousting, but I just hit that point where I need to go to bed. I don't really care about He Man you guys, other than it seems OK entertainment and I will keep watching tomorrowz.

Methos#1975

Look, I liked the show but let's not pretend that Kevin Smith did a good job here. I really hate the notion that we "boomers" hate it because it focused on woman and had more minority representation when the reality is that people hate it because it completely throws away everything that made the fans gravitate towards it in the 1st place for those things. Why is it that all of these creators trying to revamp these properties lack the creative skill needed to keep the core lore and themes of a property intact to keep the older fanbase thrilled while also adding in new developments, characters,themes, etc to diversified and broaden it to bring in new fans. Look no one hates change,female represention, or minorities. We just want those things added in a way that doesn't destroy why we have been long term fans. Surely someone out there possesses the ability to appease both camps.

I'm not even really sure the so called represention is even a positive thing in this case. Let's be honest. Seems that butchered and weakened the female chatters more than they developed them or made them stronger entities. Teela is a complete joke here. She went from a highly confident character in the orginal that was willing to do anything for the safety of Eternia and it's people to a whiny crybaby that has a hysterical meltdown and turned her back on everyone because she wasn't included. That's some of the most negative female stereotyping one could possibly cringe at. That didn't strengthen her as a character at all. She literally berates Adam for dying because it Impacted her, while being aware that if he hadn't of sacrificed himself everyone to include her would of died. She is miserably represented in this show.

Evil Lynn is even worse. They actually give her depth and character growth. She is a person that realizes she gave the best part of herself to a undeserving man and in the process lost her dreams and aspirations. She goes to lengths to council Teela and Andra on her mistakes and that they should never do the same if they want to become their own person. Then Kevin Smith the hack cannot help himself and he devalues Evil Lynn by molding her into just another lazy female archetype, thus time the battered abused female that cannot help herself and even though she realizes it's destructive, goes right back into the relationship she kept saying harmed her. Jesus Christ. How is this crap strong female represention in anyone's eyes?

As to diversifying the show and adding better minority representation. Where? Andra is pretty much just series flotsam. She is just there for the ride and is of utterly no importance to anything going on. Hell Smith couldn't of even be bothered to give her any back story at all. What is the point of her exactly? Clamp Champ in the orginal series did more than she did in the few episodes he popped up in. So stunning and brave. I guess if having a token black character that just sits in the shadows and has zero development is better represention, Smith knocked it out the park Ehhh?

nush

Are you fucking kidding? He's going to get another series and probably another big hollywood movie off the back of this.

This series appeals to and sucks up to all the right characters in media enterprise, Smith is probably set for the next 10 years.

I guess you don't follow Kevin Smith all that much do you?

Dacon

Banned
I guess you don't follow Kevin Smith all that much do you?
Look at the state of Hollywood, Netflix productions and the general media industry as a whole.

There's nothing to indicate that Netflix would be so displeased with this that they completely cancel the rest of his series.

Doczu

Look at the state of Hollywood, Netflix productions and the general media industry as a whole.

There's nothing to indicate that Netflix would be so displeased with this that they completely cancel the rest of his series.
Ratings and views. This can still get canned

Nickolaidas

How is the animation quality? Step above, say, the DC direct stuff?
I think it's Powerhouse's worst work by far. They always had a 'choppy frame rate' style that gives you the impression sometimes that you watch something at 5 frames per second, but the fights in this series especially look sluggish and drowsy. There is no real feel of impact in the attacks and the animators keep giving me a 'half-assed attempt' vibe here.

sol_bad

There might not be plans for Smith's show to continue, it might be a one and done show.
The reason I say that is only because Netflix have another He-Man show that is CG animated and aimed at a kid audience. I'd imagine this would be the show that gets multiple seasons.

Last edited:
Jesus fucking christ man, what went up your ass?

I'm just dropping in to see how the thread is going and all I see your whiny childish ass trying to force everyone to accept your opinion as what we should abide by.

Calm your tits for a second, please.

If one post can't get your message across, spamming multiple replies isn't going to make anyone look at your posts and go "what a reasonable opinion and articulated thought this child has."

I swear, aisles on both side of this topic acting like we're in a religious war 🤷🏽‍♂️

Labolas

Saw the trailer, thought it looked good, then heard the news about what actually happened and nope out immediately. Fuck that I'm not wasting my time on woke nonsense and I want to watch stuff I actually enjoy.

sinnergy

Saw the trailer, thought it looked good, then heard the news about what actually happened and nope out immediately. Fuck that I'm not wasting my time on woke nonsense and I want to watch stuff I actually enjoy.
How do you know if you didn’t watch it or even tried 🤣

I let my 4 year old try stuff he thinks he doesn’t like .. after that he can decide.

Anyway , liked both first episodes . And I loved He-man in the 80s. It a refreshing different take.

Last edited:

Labolas

How do you know if you didn’t watch it or even tried 🤣

I let my 4 year old try stuff he thinks he doesn’t like .. after that he can decide.

Anyway , liked both first episodes . And I loved He-man in the 80s. It a refreshing different take.
Saw snippets of it, plus it was already spoiled for me. No thank you, not a fan of Man Arms.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I thought about it for a bit, and I think that the biggest mistake of Revelation is the fact that for the story Kevin Smith wanted to tell, 100 minutes simply aren't enough. It's like asking Jackson to direct Lord of the Rings in one hour. It'd be a mess with frantic pace, minimum characterization and scenes lacking impact because there's no emotional stake in it.

Also, there was no need for Adam to die in the beginning. Losing the powersword is enough - this means no He-Man, so Adam has to be given the quest by Sorceress (accompanied by angry Teela if they have such a boner for the 'YOU LIED TO ME' sub-plot), has to learn what it means to be a hero without wielding a magic toy. It could work in so many ways and praise male and female characters at the same time, but the idiocy and time restraints utterly crippled this series before it even began.

Spoilers Obviously.

Yeah, I'm with Drinker on this one. The show is a travesty, which is not surprising considering Kevin Smith's latest output. The first Jay & Silent Bob movie was crude but brilliant fun, the sequel was horribly unfunny and an absolutely terrible movie. I don't understand how you can go from producing some of the best indie low budget movies, like Clerks and Dogma, to this crap. It feels like Hollywood has sapped the soul out of Kevin Smith.

LOL
In this live stream Kevin points out that all the review bombing is a good thing. Yes there are 10k negative reviews but Netflix has over 200 million subscribers. So the negative reviews are just a drop in an ocean.

"LOL", showrunner is in full panic mode, trying to mitigate the mess he's caused through frantic tweets after outright lying to the fanbase and holding the audience in contempt. "LOL"

I will freely admit I judge people based on their media choices and level of dedication to said choices. Call it a personality flaw.

Yeah man, I watched a silly He-Man show on Netflix and am an avid reader of Stanisaw Lem. What does that make me?
Stop being such a judgmental prick, because I'm sure the stuff you're consuming is not all Buñuel and Joyce.

NahaNago

That is pretty much a man
Another point related to what I said about Grace Randolph...

Why is it when 2 women or 2 men are close friends that some folks see that as gay or lesbian leanings? I see close friends and it's completely platonic. There's such a thing and strong love between friends that borders on familial.
Grace Randolph pretty much roots for all things lgbtq, so if it can be shipped, hinted, or implied then she wants it to be an lgbtq relationship that is open and blatant.

Imagine getting up in arms for a kid cartoon from the 80s. What's next, people making a big deal out of Transformers and My Little Pony ? :p
When the My Little Pony reboot happened about 10 years ago, long time female fans were struggling with the new, expanded fan base of sweaty male nerds ("Bronies") lining up for McDonald's toys and stalking the toy aisles for little girls' pony toys. And that show was still made for little girls. The content didn't change all that much. But when He-man, a franchise for little boys abandons its male rolemodels to appeal to the female audience (which already has She-ra btw) they should just accept that or they are just "afraid of change" and are called childish neckbeards. It's interesting how that goes.

Top Bottom