• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

Papacheeks

Banned
Imagine getting up in arms for a kid cartoon from the 80s. What's next, people making a big deal out of Transformers and My Little Pony ? :p

That cartoon was in the 80's and had a good comic run that was recently redone and had a good following. understand all these people who were kids inlcuding me are now in their late 30's--early 40's. ANd also some have kids of their own, what better thing to sit down and watch this with them to show them how cartoons were back when you were a kid.

Only to have the message be butch looking women are drawn to be stronger and a better version of he-man than the main guy himself? What kind of message is that for young boys? That they cant be protectors of others? That being a man is bad?

Those are some of the things in the first episode with teela getting all pissy that made me roll my eyes. Also how the fuck did teela not find out long ago? Adam's mother knew?

It's forced carrying the torch storline is what bothers me. The whole" adam sacrificed himself knowing you would be here to protect eternia". Like I get it, it makes sense because thats what the champion of grayskull is suppose to do. But to say he" you are the new he-man now". It's kind of unwarranted because it happens in the first episode of a continuation/reboot of a series. Been nice if this was the end of episode 5, it would have had more buildup then having he-man sacrifice himself in the first episode. I totally know why they did this, and it's for shock, to make you want to sit through the rest of the female brigade.

Like there's stuff I like, alot, Evil-lyn is amazing, orcos was great. But part of me is regardless of what Mattel tried to pull with the licenese, you still were able to creat what ever you wanted without calling it he-man for the title. Dont know why you dont re-introduce heman do first 2-3 episodes about he-man/teela, have that shocker ending be episode 5 where she finds out.

I will watch the second part of this 10 episode, but im expecting more female he-man push. Which to me makes no sense.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
That Clownfish channel is one of the most annoying things I’ve ever heard. Whether they have a legit point or not, the two of them are squawking buzzards.
The problem with Clownfish is, they are actual industry people unlike 99% of Twitter. They have actual friends in the industry and were the first to know about the shift in Masters of the Universe. They did not even make a huge thing out of it, just that they got the information and you can take it with a grain of salt. Kevin Smith then validated them by public attacking them and sending the usual braindead twitter people after that.

All of that, just for reporting the truth. The same goes with Disney, they actually have ties and insight, but each time they make a video about it, a flock of braindead twitter people attacks them which turns out to be true again. This cycle repeats and repeats and repeats. Of course, it wears them down.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The problem with Clownfish is, they are actual industry people unlike 99% of Twitter. They have actual friends in the industry and were the first to know about the shift in Masters of the Universe. They did not even make a huge thing out of it, just that they got the information and you can take it with a grain of salt. Kevin Smith then validated them by public attacking them and sending the usual braindead twitter people after that.

All of that, just for reporting the truth. The same goes with Disney, they actually have ties and insight, but each time they make a video about it, a flock of braindead twitter people attacks them which turns out to be true again. This cycle repeats and repeats and repeats. Of course, it wears them down.
Thanks for info.

I’ve actually come across the channel before, so that’s just my general opinion on them. Awful presentation style. It’s like their yelling at their listeners.

sol_bad

That Clownfish channel is one of the most annoying things I’ve ever heard. Whether they have a legit point or not, the two of them are squawking buzzards.

I can't stand the girls voice, it's really irritating. I'm not a fan of Youtubers who don't show their face either in general.
Yeesh

Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31 I don't consider things a bait or switch when there are important plot points that are being protected. The trailers revealing the John Conner twist in Terminator Genesis was one of the stupidest marketing decisions ever. If Gone Girls plot twist was leaked that would have been annoying too.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31 I don't consider things a bait or switch when there are important plot points that are being protected. The trailers revealing the John Conner twist in Terminator Genesis was one of the stupidest marketing decisions ever. If Gone Girls plot twist was leaked that would have been annoying too.
So it's fine to make it seem like the show is still mostly a he-man show from the promotional material just to keep it a surprise that Teela's gonna be the main focus? Come on, bro.
E68yJ0HXMAExeNM
a5555b7a-7416-4eaa-b0f4-0cb8197b4400.jpg

iu

It would be easier to justify if it were an original show instead of an established franchise.

And what's to stop any other "big cast changes" to use that plot point excuse? What would be a genuine bait and switch in your book if plot reasons is a good excuse?

Part 2 might be more he-man centric again but so far I think it's fair that people don't like the big shift in focus if they were fans of the older series and came in nearly blind into this one.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So it's fine to make it seem like the show is still mostly a he-man show from the promotional material just to keep it a surprise that Teela's gonna be the main focus? Come on, bro.
E68yJ0HXMAExeNM

iu

It would be easier to justify if it were an original show instead of an established franchise.

And what's to stop any other "big cast changes" to use that plot point excuse? What would be a genuine bait and switch in your book if plot reasons is a good excuse?

Part 2 might be more he-man centric again but so far I think it's fair that people don't like the big shift in focus if they were fans of the older series and came in nearly blind into this one.

Don't bother on using Logic with Sol. It never works.

Lupingosei

Banned
Imagine getting up in arms for a kid cartoon from the 80s. What's next, people making a big deal out of Transformers and My Little Pony ? :p
This has always been my favorite argument.

In this case, people are angry at a Hollywood guy who used a franchise for a cheap bait and switch to gain some brownie points. And yes, to make the fans angry, as he said himself. This is of course all the fault of the fans and their toxic behavior is the worst thing ever.

However, when the crazy people send death threats to fan artists because they drew a fictional character too thin or the skin color is not right, we are supposed to look the other way. And while Kevin Smith or Rian Johnson will be perfectly fine, several creators have been bullied off the internet, because they did not make some same-sex often borderline illegal imaginary couple canon in kids shows. This of course is also ok.

So telling a Hollywood creator that his vision sucks, the worst thing ever. Fetishizing characters in kids' shows because of some unknown personal issue from the past, that is perfectly fine.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
This has always been my favorite argument.

In this case, people are angry at a Hollywood guy who used a franchise for a cheap bait and switch to gain some brownie points. And yes, to make the fans angry, as he said himself. This is of course all the fault of the fans and their toxic behavior is the worst thing ever.

However, when the crazy people send death threats to fan artists because they drew a fictional character too thin or the skin color is not right, we are supposed to look the other way. And while Kevin Smith or Rian Johnson will be perfectly fine, several creators have been bullied off the internet, because they did not make some same-sex often borderline illegal imaginary couple canon in kids shows. This of course is also ok.

So telling a Hollywood creator that his vision sucks, the worst thing ever. Fetishizing characters in kids' shows because of some unknown personal issue from the past, that is perfectly fine.
Again I note the vast disparate thinking between Western "creatives" like Kevin Smith and Rian Johnson, and Eastern creatives in the anime/manga industry. I've never seen such numerous amounts of fan-hatred in the East as I do in the West. And yes, I'm aware the Japanese fans on their message boards can be just as brutal and vicious as "Angry Chud Fans" of the West. But the norm that I've seen is that Eastern creatives are mostly very humble, measured and polite to their fanbases and don't start projects with the goal of "I want to make this fanbase angry!" (Imagine if a new creator took over the Berserk franchise and proceeded to literally "Gut" Guts to piss off the fans?)

To me, it shows a stark disconnect in thinking of what entertainment is to these people.

Last edited:

The Skull

Imagine getting up in arms about people saying they didn't like something? Same rhetoric.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Sure would be nice if He-man returns and he and Teela put things to an end together.

Take this as an ironic and unironic post if you want. It WOULD be nice.

Alx

Imagine getting up in arms about people saying they didn't like something? Same rhetoric.
If you're aiming at me, I'm definitely not "up in arms". Just chuckling at the sight of grown-ups getting upset by toy commercials.

DKehoe

Again I note the vast disparate thinking between Western "creatives" like Kevin Smith and Rian Johnson, and Eastern creatives in the anime/manga industry. I've never seen such numerous amounts of fan-hatred in the East as I do in the West. And yes, I'm aware the Japanese fans on their message boards can be just as brutal and vicious as "Angry Chud Fans" of the West. But the norm that I've seen is that Eastern creatives are mostly very humble, measured and polite to their fanbases and don't start projects with the goal of "I want to make this fanbase angry!" (Imagine if a new creator took over the Berserk franchise and proceeded to literally "Gut" Guts to piss off the fans?)

To me, it shows a stark disconnect in thinking of what entertainment is to these people.
I haven't actually seen all of the show but hasn't the creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion made it pretty clear he doesn't like the fans of the show?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
E68yJ0HXMAExeNM

iu

Bait and switch will never go away.

Thats one of the perks of the internet and social media. It's fast and you can always wait to find out the real deal since there's always some people will will try/buy it right away and willing to tell people their opinions on a product.

This series is a pass from me. I dont want to watch Teela running around.

The Skull

If you're aiming at me, I'm definitely not "up in arms". Just chuckling at the sight of grown-ups getting upset by toy commercials.
Nah not a personal attack. It's just what I see from the "other side". The people that say "imagine getting upset...." are the same ones that scream the usual "phobias" because people criticised something they like.

CGiRanger

Banned
See the thing for me is I liked Teela as a character, both in the original and especially in the 2002 version. But here she comes off as a total asshat and suddenly everything has to revolve around her. Again, it comes off as wholly unlikable, which is not a good thing to have in a protagonist you're supposed to be rooting for unless it's totally deliberate.

And also the whole thing with Ardra is just laughable. They really did basically "We're gonna race-swap her, but she's basically a background character with almost no presence and importance. But hey, we get our equity checkboxes filled in!"

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Bait and switch will never go away.

Thats one of the perks of the internet and social media. It's fast and you can always wait to find out the real deal since there's always some people will will try/buy it right away and willing to tell people their opinions on a product.

This series is a pass from me. I dont want to watch Teela running around.

It's not about Teela, per se. She's on a quest with a group of people... Each gets to shine in every episode of part one (it's not the whole season, mind you)... I was skeptical but I ended up liking it for the most part. There's plenty to criticize but it's kinda like... So bad it's good. Like the original toon.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Kevin Smith backpedalled in Comic Con and admitted he lied because he didn't want to spoil the story after Clowfish reported the rumor.

To be honest, the tweet reply was this ...

G6RQUi1.jpg

Reading this again, it sounds like "You should have told me earlier that you didn't like the idea - now it's too late".

Which is quite honestly, the stupidest thing to say. It's not like you asked anyone except your Netflix buddies about feedback, Kevin.

Shouta

See the thing for me is I liked Teela as a character, both in the original and especially in the 2002 version. But here she comes off as a total asshat and suddenly everything has to revolve around her. Again, it comes off as wholly unlikable, which is not a good thing to have in a protagonist you're supposed to be rooting for unless it's totally deliberate.

And also the whole thing with Ardra is just laughable. They really did basically "We're gonna race-swap her, but she's basically a background character with almost no presence and importance. But hey, we get our equity checkboxes filled in!"

Yeah, Teela's attitude is kind of the biggest problem with Part 1. Her personal conflict is understandable but it's really abrasive because she's basically salty as fuck the entire 5 episodes. If they had written her a bit more well-rounded, it'd come off a lot better.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but that tweet conveniently leaves the following line out, "So then let me be a god" which makes it clearer it's about how Skeletor was treated as a person.

Azurro

Banned

Well, the director made his whole career off of talking about nerdy stuff like Batman, Star Wars and Superman. He'd be nowhere near as successful solely off of his movies, he's pretty much a nobody outside of NA.

Last edited:

sol_bad

E68yJ0HXMAExeNM

iu

What the fuck? Do you think Smith controls the marketing?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Or could it be we dont want shit media? It's perfectly possible to make good entertainment out of a kids show. The transformers animated movie is way better than it has any right to be based off a cartoon designed to sell toys.

Ulysses 31

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but that tweet conveniently leaves the following line out, "So then let me be a god" which makes it clearer it's about how Skeletor was treated as a person.
The way I took it is he thinks that becoming a god would make him less lonely because the power would make him more attractive so in that sense omitting that line doesn't change the context(that he was lonely as a man).

What the fuck? Do you think Smith controls the marketing?
Don't bother on using Logic with Sol. It never works.
Like fucking clockwork.

Quick dodge and subvert the question with another question.

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Come on, Sol. Dont be a little b-word.

Answer his argument that he provided with actual proper evidence of his statement with an ounce of your brain and not just dodge it with a dead-end question, without a proper reply.

Besides, even if Smith doesn't control the marketing, why couldn't he control his lies and spin on Twitter that would stop the farce in the first place? 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
So, is this a dark reimagining of the 80s cartoon or is it a show made for kids? Because I watched the first episode and it feels like it's neither.

And I find it hilarious that Inceletor's plan to infiltrate Greyskull was akin to wearing a fake mustache. You're telling me he never tried to use some sort of illusion before?

sol_bad

Like fucking clockwork.

Quick dodge and subvert the question with another question.

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Come on, Sol. Dont be a little b-word.

Answer his argument that he provided with actual proper evidence of his statement with an ounce of your brain and not just dodge it with a dead-end question, without a proper reply.

I am using logic.
Someone doesn't take a million dollar pay cheque, become show runner and try and go against how the suits want to market the show. Directors and show runners generally have no input in the marketing, anyone with any idea on how the industry works should know that. No director or show runner would be dumb enough to go against the higher ups.

Sure, Smith could have just avoided the Twitter drama but the question of whether Teela was primarily in the show was going to come up. Him falling into the Twitter black hole was definitely a mistake.

Let's not forget that there are another 5 episodes, if Adam/He-Man are more front and centre in the back half then Smith is correct in what he always said.

Shouta

The way I took it is he thinks that becoming a god would make him less lonely because the power would make him more attractive so in that sense omitting that line doesn't change the context(that he was lonely as a man).

While the general motivation remains the same, the context of that ends up pretty different. If it's as a person in general, it's about how everyone treats him and where if you don't include the god line, then Skeletor looks specifically like an incel. The former is much more of a common motivation in stories to go try and rule the world. The latter also makes it look more "woke" when honestly, the show isn't very woke aside from Andra being raceswapped.

Dacon

Banned
While the general motivation remains the same, the context of that ends up pretty different. If it's as a person in general, it's about how everyone treats him and where if you don't include the god line, then Skeletor looks specifically like an incel. The former is much more of a common motivation in stories to go try and rule the world. The latter also makes it look more "woke" when honestly, the show isn't very woke aside from Andra being raceswapped.
Aaaaaand Teela being turned into a generic angry stronk woman stereotype, having all femininity drained from her appearance, the need for her to demean and put down male characters, the shelving of He-man and the humiliation of Prince Adam, King Grayskull being turned into a black man because and I quote "theres enough giant white guys in the show".

Theres also the implication of more going on between Andra and Teela that people laughable refuse to acknowledge.

Ulysses 31

Not so sure, the "lonely" and "have me as a man" part to me seems to imply that he couldn't get a partner rather than people in general not treating him how he wants. He still has subordinates which to me also seems to point out that the lonely part refers to him not having a life partner.

If we're being charitable, him becoming a god and thus people can't ignore/mistreat him anymore might've been the goal of that line. But it comes right after the lonely line which might also mean its the "cure" for his loneliness as a man.

Last edited:

Shouta

Aaaaaand Teela being turned into a generic angry stronk woman stereotype, having all femininity drained from her appearance, the need for her to demean and put down male characters, the shelving of He-man and the humiliation of Prince Adam, King Grayskull being turned into a black man because and I quote "theres enough giant white guys in the show".

Theres also the implication of more going on between Andra and Teela that people laughable refuse to acknowledge.

Teela being angry is definitely a problem with the show as I mentioned in earlier posts. Teela's design problems are in part due to her being so angry the entire time and the entire show just drawing everyone hyper-masculine. She's actually not too bad looking in some of the scenes in the first episode where she's relaxed but she's straight up scowling the rest of the time. Then she gets that ugly haircut after the timeskip. She doesn't downplay any male characters as far as I can remember, she does bitch about everyone keeping secrets though.

As for Adam and He-man, he's shelved for a bit yeah but I don't think they did anything to humiliate him. He made a sacrifice to save the universe and then he decides to give up his afterlife to go back to the living world and help restore magic to the universe.. If anything, the show really puts He-man on a pedestal by making him a central figure to the very existence of the universe and Adam's loss is almost everything Teela has on her mind, lol. Can't get over losing her man.

I forgot about the Grayskull change but that's not a huge issue. As I recall, Grayskull was created for the 2002 series but wasn't a figure that appeared in the 1980s show. Considering that Revelation is a continuation of the 1980s lore, the Grayskull change jives well. It better emphasizes that the champion is a mantle that is taken up rather than something that Adam is destined to be like when Grayskull was Adam's ancestor in the 2002 series.

Andra and Teela don't seem like an item aside from that second episode. I could see Andra having a thing for Teela but Teela definitely is all about Adam.

Not so sure, the "lonely" and "have me as a man" part to me seems to imply that he couldn't get a partner rather than people in general not treating him how he wants. He still has subordinates which to me also seems to point out that the lonely part refers to him not having a life partner.

If we're being charitable, him becoming a god and thus people can't ignore/mistreat him anymore might've been the goal of that line. But it comes right after the lonely line part which might also mean its the "cure" for his loneliness as a man.

Well, a lot of stories with this beat tend to emphasize that these characters don't have friends. They have subordinates that follow their every command because they fear the character for sure. However, they don't have anybody that they treat as an equal and have a real friendship with. That kind of fits Skeletor throughout the 1980s series, no? He doesn't have friends, he has subordinates that he uses for his schemes and then berates the fuck out of them when things go wrong, lol.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Teela isn't angry throughout the whole 5 episodes either, she starts to soften up over time. Even in episode 3 when she sees her father again you can see that she feels bad and guilty. Then at their house she really softens up when she sees Orko, she fucking hugs him and feels the same as he does. Yeah, she arks up at Duncan a bit but that's because her anger starts to cloud her judgement, then she calms down again when Roboto explains that he has a family to look after.
When Duncan shows up on the boat later, again Teela isn't angry, she says "I told you to go to Grayskull.", Duncan says she loves her and then Teela smiles.

Again, anyone that says she is a "stronk woman" hasn't watched the show or are choosing to omit certain details.

oagboghi2

Don’t even speak such evil into the world.

Teela isn't angry throughout the whole 5 episodes either, she starts to soften up over time. Even in episode 3 when she sees her father again you can see that she feels bad and guilty. Then at their house she really softens up when she sees Orko, she fucking hugs him and feels the same as he does. Yeah, she arks up at Duncan a bit but that's because her anger starts to cloud her judgement, then she calms down again when Roboto explains that he has a family to look after.
When Duncan shows up on the boat later, again Teela isn't angry, she says "I told you to go to Grayskull.", Duncan says she loves her and then Teela smiles.

Again, anyone that says she is a "stronk woman" hasn't watched the show or are choosing to omit certain details.
The way you are omitting certain details? Seriously enough with the damage control

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

I watched the show, and though there are moments with her father figure, orkos her attitude towards anything he-man/Adam is shit. And it feels like they are making bigger deal out of any character would get over. Also how Adam is projected in preternia as being useless in that hunt is also agrivating. In 2002 series Adam is a bumbling fool who lacks confidence/training that Teela obviously has. But changes the more time he is he-man.

Doubt we get that in the next 5 episode.

Going to be Teela being the better he-man. Which is total bullshit as she is supposed to be the new embodiment of gray skull magic aka sorceress.

I'll wait to pass final judgement, but right now on the outside looking in a lot of woke stuff is in this show and in your face about it. The whole skeletor line at end of episode 5 I had to do a double take.

Not saying the whole show is trash, but you deflecting any crit, is just you trying to do the same thing review sites are saying about anyone who is a fan and legit watched it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I say this as someone who was obsessed with He-Man as a kid, the source material is god awful, and watching them attempt to find a real story in this universe is kind of more cringe than just leaning into the camp value.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Former He-Man brand managers thoughts on the show. Lots of cool little details in here.

*EDIT*
He did this video too.

Last edited:

nush

I say this as someone who was obsessed with He-Man as a kid, the source material is god awful, and watching them attempt to find a real story in this universe is kind of more cringe that just leaning into the camp value.

Last edited:
Top Bottom