• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

xrnzaaas

This is shaping up to be a beautiful trainwreck. But hey, thanks to the leak many people will skip this show entirely and Neftlix won't be able to boast about how many views they got.

Lupingosei

Banned
This is shaping up to be a beautiful trainwreck. But hey, thanks to the leak many people will skip this show entirely and Neftlix won't be able to boast about how many views they got.
They do that anyway because it is a black box. People will spin this, they also did it with that godawful Watchman tv show. Also, nobody is watching Batwoman, but it is trending on Twitter.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
It's funny... The same people complaining about Teela being "mannish" are the same ones cheering on Gina Carano in the Mandalorian.

Brought to you by Hollywood - "Keep consuming, don't ask questions. ™️".

She isn't "mannish", she straight up looks like a butch lesbian now (wouldn't surprise me if she was), the hell did they do with her design? Looks like the show isn't even about He Man going about that latest trailer.

Hype deflated.

Alx

She isn't "mannish", she straight up looks like a butch lesbian now (wouldn't surprise me if she was), the hell did they do with her design? Looks like the show isn't even about He Man going about that latest trailer.
It's definitely a change of design compared to her original looks, but it isn't far-fetched either. She's supposed to be captain of the guards, in a world where all fighters are heavily muscular. It's the original "Barbie doll" look that didn't make much sense (except for the purpose of selling dolls, actually).

Nickolaidas

It's definitely a change of design compared to her original looks, but it isn't far-fetched either. She's supposed to be captain of the guards, in a world where all fighters are heavily muscular. It's the original "Barbie doll" look that didn't make much sense (except for the purpose of selling dolls, actually).
The problem with the design, other than the fact it's pure woke pandering, is the fact it utterly disregards her iconic look in everything. Her hair, her clothing, her armor, and I'm pretty sure that her personality will follow suit as well.

You look at Revelation Skeletor and you say that's Skeletor. Evil Lynn is changed, but not to the point she's unrecognizable. Teela literally looks like a guy and if someone didn't tell you it's her, you wouldn't guess it in a million years.

Azurro

Banned

Oh please, the pandering to that shit crowd is obvious. Besides, the look of the show is inspired by Conan, bodybuilders, very striking looks, beautiful Amazonian like women, skeletons, there is a particular name for this art style but it escapes me at the moment.

Having a butch lesbian walking around because the wokies hate good looking characters ruins the look.

Last edited:

Izumar

Banned
It's funny... The same people complaining about Teela being "mannish" are the same ones cheering on Gina Carano in the Mandalorian.
gina_carano_3-450x646.jpg

It's funny.

And that short hair on 1 side, just like Teela.
pik3fvF.jpg

NuTeela's hair is shaved on one side, Gina's above is pulled back.

And again, Gina's character is original and in the process of being established by her performance. Teela on the other hand is not and on top of that the new show is supposed to be a continuation of the original series. The continuation part is the key marker.

Xenon

Y'all are purposely being contrarian. You can see her arms...

All good. Y'all still cool with me

Gina plays an original character who is a former military mercenary. Teela is an established character put through the wacky woke converter to appease Netflix execs. A tool that's been overused of late, which is a big part of the problem.

sol_bad

NuTeela's hair is shaved on one side, Gina's above is pulled back.

And again, Gina's character is original and in the process of being established by her performance. Teela on the other hand is not and on top of that the new show is supposed to be a continuation of the original series. The continuation part is the key marker.

So Teela isn't allowed to buff up during whatever time gap happens?

Nickolaidas

I just read that Kevin Smith interview where he blatantly admits Revelations is about Teela. After insulting clownfish tv, calling them liars and whatnot, he flat out admits the show is about Teela. What a tool.

But that's not what bothers me. He also adds that He-Man was sidelined because there's only so much he could do with the character.

So the writer of the show .... sidelined the main character of the IP ... because he didn't know HOW to write him.

And he got the job.

It's like me going to Marvel and wanting to make a Spiderman comic, and say I won't have Spiderman in the story but I'll put Silver Sable as the main character instead because I have no idea what to do with Peter Parker. And Marvel says ok and gives me the job.

Mind.

Blown.

Hey, Kevin. Here's a thought. Instead of looking at the MCU for inspiration on how to write superheroes, why don't you READ a little Superman and Wonder Woman comics by DC in order to get a grasp on how Lawful Good characters are written, instead of sidelining them (He-man) or butcher their characters (Teela) in order to suit THE ONLY KIND OF SUPERHERO STORY YOU SEEM CAPABLE OF WRITING?

What garbage.

Here's the interview, btw.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I just read that Kevin Smith interview where he blatantly admits Revelations is about Teela. After insulting clownfish tv, calling them liars and whatnot, he flat out admits the show is about Teela. What a tool.

But that's not what bothers me. He also adds that He-Man was sidelined because there's only so much he could do with the character.

So the writer of the show .... sidelined the main character of the IP ... because he didn't know HOW to write him.

And he got the job.

It's like me going to Marvel and wanting to make a Spiderman comic, and say I won't have Spiderman in the story but I'll put Silver Sable as the main character instead because I have no idea what to do with Peter Parker. And Marvel says ok and gives me the job.

Mind.

Blown.

Hey, Kevin. Here's a thought. Instead of looking at the MCU for inspiration on how to write superheroes, why don't you READ a little Superman and Wonder Woman comics by DC in order to get a grasp on how Lawful Good characters are written, instead of sidelining them (He-man) or butcher their characters (Teela) in order to suit THE ONLY KIND OF SUPERHERO STORY YOU SEEM CAPABLE OF WRITING?

What garbage.

Here's the interview, btw.

Interview seems to cut off for me, I don't see anything mentioned about Teela? Is there a link to the actual video interview?

Nickolaidas

Interview seems to cut off for me, I don't see anything mentioned about Teela? Is there a link to the actual video interview?
It's not a video interview, it's a buch of distorted articles.

"The new Netflix animated series Masters of the Universe: Revelation brings back He-Man. However, fans of the other masters might be happy to know that the show gives Teela a more central role in the story. That was something creator Kevin Smith wanted to do since he was such a fan of the original cartoon."

"Smith spoke with reporters by Zoom on June 3. We’ll have more with Smith and the cast of Masters of the Universe: Revelation before it premieres July 23. But first, here’s Smith’s take on why Teela became a more prominent character in his series."

"
Masters of the Universe was based on the Mattel toy line. Every character with an action figure was in the show, but Teela was always along for He-Man’s adventures. However, the original series never really developed her.
“Teela’s character was always so interesting because she’s in every episode of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe,” Smith said. “Just as many episodes as He-Man is in, Teela’s right there with him, fighting side by side with He-Man if not protecting Prince Adam as Prince Adam’s bodyguard.”

Kevin Smith questioned Teela’s role in the universe​

He-Man was Prince Adam’s secret identity and only a few people knew. Teela wasn’t one of them, and Smith thought she might have some issues over that. Sarah Michelle Gellar provides the voice of Teela in Masters of the Universe: Revelation."

"
Teela gets to be much more complex than He-Man in ‘Masters of the Universe: Revelation’
Masters of the Universe: Revelation is still an animated series appropriate for kids. However, Smith wanted to have the characters deal with deeper issues."

“The old series didn’t really have a mythology,” Smith said. “It was very morality tale oriented so they’d go on an adventure and you’d learn a lesson at the end of it and they’d even talk to you on camera, straight to camera at the end to tell you what that lesson was. So, we don’t have to necessarily do that. Ours is not a simple morality tale. We get to tell a story of what happens when people have to deal with adult emotions. She gets disillusioned and leaves it all behind.”

"Smith felt there was only so much you could explore with He-man without drastically changing his character. Teela was right there for a new story for Masters of the Universe: Revelation.
“He-Man is a great character of course, but like Superman, he’s got a limitation inasmuch as He-Man is the most powerful man in the universe,” Smith said. “So there’s literally nobody he can’t beat. And if there is somebody he can’t beat, well, he can just take the sword because that’s the sword of power. So when you have an impossibly overpowered character like that, you got to find creative ways to tell a story that isn’t like oh, I guess he’s going to win because he always wins. I felt like Teela was our way into that.”

sol_bad

It's not a video interview, it's a buch of distorted articles.

"The new Netflix animated series Masters of the Universe: Revelation brings back He-Man. However, fans of the other masters might be happy to know that the show gives Teela a more central role in the story. That was something creator Kevin Smith wanted to do since he was such a fan of the original cartoon."

"Smith spoke with reporters by Zoom on June 3. We’ll have more with Smith and the cast of Masters of the Universe: Revelation before it premieres July 23. But first, here’s Smith’s take on why Teela became a more prominent character in his series."

"
Masters of the Universe was based on the Mattel toy line. Every character with an action figure was in the show, but Teela was always along for He-Man’s adventures. However, the original series never really developed her.
“Teela’s character was always so interesting because she’s in every episode of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe,” Smith said. “Just as many episodes as He-Man is in, Teela’s right there with him, fighting side by side with He-Man if not protecting Prince Adam as Prince Adam’s bodyguard.”

Kevin Smith questioned Teela’s role in the universe​

He-Man was Prince Adam’s secret identity and only a few people knew. Teela wasn’t one of them, and Smith thought she might have some issues over that. Sarah Michelle Gellar provides the voice of Teela in Masters of the Universe: Revelation."

"
Teela gets to be much more complex than He-Man in ‘Masters of the Universe: Revelation’
Masters of the Universe: Revelation is still an animated series appropriate for kids. However, Smith wanted to have the characters deal with deeper issues."

“The old series didn’t really have a mythology,” Smith said. “It was very morality tale oriented so they’d go on an adventure and you’d learn a lesson at the end of it and they’d even talk to you on camera, straight to camera at the end to tell you what that lesson was. So, we don’t have to necessarily do that. Ours is not a simple morality tale. We get to tell a story of what happens when people have to deal with adult emotions. She gets disillusioned and leaves it all behind.”

"Smith felt there was only so much you could explore with He-man without drastically changing his character. Teela was right there for a new story for Masters of the Universe: Revelation.
“He-Man is a great character of course, but like Superman, he’s got a limitation inasmuch as He-Man is the most powerful man in the universe,” Smith said. “So there’s literally nobody he can’t beat. And if there is somebody he can’t beat, well, he can just take the sword because that’s the sword of power. So when you have an impossibly overpowered character like that, you got to find creative ways to tell a story that isn’t like oh, I guess he’s going to win because he always wins. I felt like Teela was our way into that.”

EH
It doesn't say He-Man is sidelined, just that Teela has been fleshed out. I'll wait for the show and have an opinion then. Not long to go now.
:)

Doczu

The original show wasn't even some glorious masterpiece, but just some consumable junk used to sell toys.
Like every 80s cartoon. Transformers, TMNT - you name them.
But, they had an impact, created fans and the "new" Transformers G1 comics and (Netflix) series show that you can have great storylines (go read the new comics, they are fucking great), alternate realities where you show respect to the material you are working with. And Transformers fans (G1) are also one of the most rabid defenders of the sacred toys.

Alx

He-Man was Prince Adam’s secret identity and only a few people knew. Teela wasn’t one of them, and Smith thought she might have some issues over that.
All that Teela talk made me try and remember what she did in the original show, and as far as I remember her main contribution was that she was the only one not knowing He-Man's secret identity (yeah, "only" Man-at-arm, the Sorceress and Orco knew about it, but with Teela they were the only members of the action crew). Characters had to make her look the other way while Adam did his "power of Greyskull" dance, and that's basically all the "tension" there was in an episode. Could have solved most of the plots by just telling her in episode 1. :p

kunonabi

All that Teela talk made me try and remember what she did in the original show, and as far as I remember her main contribution was that she was the only one not knowing He-Man's secret identity (yeah, "only" Man-at-arm, the Sorceress and Orco knew about it, but with Teela they were the only members of the action crew). Characters had to make her look the other way while Adam did his "power of Greyskull" dance, and that's basically all the "tension" there was in an episode. Could have solved most of the plots by just telling her in episode 1. :p
Spoken just like Kevin Smith i.e like somebody who doesn't know what he's talking about.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Kevin Smith and the marketing giving mixed signals when it comes to the show being an actual sequel or not. o_O

This prequel comic might be a sign of further things to come.

That's a good analysis of recent MotU stuff but daaaamn, that narrator needs to up the caffeine or do less rehearsing or something, that was the most monotonous and low energy video I've seen in a long while.

kunonabi

Orko conversation starts at little over 3 minutes. He also goes on to shit on Evil-Lyn. He gives off a huge "this was all shit and we finally made it good" vibe.

Orko conversation starts at little over 3 minutes. He also goes on to shit on Evil-Lyn. He gives off a huge "this was all shit and we finally made it good" vibe.

From what I recall basically the same shit the new She-Ra staff said about the original show.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Is anyone honestly surprised? Look at the people who are championing this show. The usual suspects who have never actually done something of merit, only cry on the internet about how awful the real world is while living with first world amenities and never having to actually struggle.

Top Bottom