• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill Screen: Why are videogames stuck in the era of Rambo-esque masculinity?

Parapraxis

I still haven't seen a game that captures the neo-noir/crime thriller genre, that kind of desperate tense No Country for Old Men-esque action. We haven't had a game like that, and it would definitely not be in the adventure game mold

I'd probably love a game like that, but it probably wouldn't really fit the FPS "shooter" genre.

Wowfunhappy is saying shooter's are "hyper-masculine", I assume because they involve killing, war, armies etc. They then say "hyper-masculinity" is the theme, I don't even know what that means, does it mean anything?
They also completely ignored the fact that there are females in almost every FPS these days, Destiny and COD included.

Hari Seldon

I'll take predator over a Ryan gosling flick 10/10 times. Good thing there are both for people of different tastes. If you don't like masculine games play one of the thousands of non war games.

A-V-B

SMH @ the amount of people in here who don't know First Blood was the sequel.

7dAPOks.gif

Because for a lot of games gameplay is still about one guy that can kill 400 enemies.

games without killing have had goofs like Charlie Chaplin as protagonists for decades.

Stiler

"This leaves little room for issues such as post-traumatic stress, much less any strong emotion that leaves the man vulnerable. The Reagan-era man is a morally cut-and-dry figure, with clear delineation between good guys and bad guys. John Rambo exemplifies this. Rambo is a national symbol of toughness who “wins” his films by “defeating enemies through violent physical action.” The hero rarely feels bad for his foes, rarely feels regret in taking out his opponents. The '80s man is purely focused on the task at hand with little regard for interpersonal pleasantries, not at all interested in reflecting upon the impact of his actions."

I feel like none of them have ever watched Rambo.

The first one I mean, sure the sequels were more cliche "action hero" movies, but the first one?

How many people did he take out? ONE, a single person in the entire film.

Also the entire point of Rambo was that he DOES reflect on the past, he DOES suffer from PTSD (Why the heck do they think he's been drifting and wandering around for TEN YEARS!).

He doesn't harm anyone or anything, he acts in defense against a crooked guy who mistreats him, the other people? He doesn't harm anyone he doesn't have to and certainly doesn't disregard his actions (hence why there's only a single body count).

hile there is a stealth angle to Metal Gear, both games still contain an impressive amount of killing. It is the primary focus, the determining factor in whether or not one may progress—how effective the player is at taking out these obstacles. Just as Rambo is remembered less for his story and characterization and more for his build and acts of physical prowess, so the protagonists of these games are distinguishable predominantly by their physical appearance and by what actions the player can make them do. These characters are muscled, weapon-toting men on the side of justice who defeat countless swarms of clearly delineated bad guys. The game demands that the player beat all these bad guys, or else lose all their health and receive a game over. The necessarily simplistic action allows for a clear binary between good and bad, much the same way that the simple thrills of their film inspirations do.

I can't even....did these people even PLAY or watch ANY of these games or movies???

Metal gear allows you play multiple ways, you can go completely stealth and do not have to take anyone out outside of select few or boss fights.

Also side of justice? Umm.....yeah do they even know that Boss, Liquid, and Solid Snake are not the same people???

I am not really sure what the point of this article is? Are they trying to say there's no games without this? Because there are plenty, Gone Home, The last of us, Life is Strange, Dragon Age, Elder scrolls/fallout, on and on.

It seems like the article likes to cherry pick things.

Are they advocating that there shouldn't be ANY of these kind of 80's type action heroes in games? Cause I certainly don't agree with that.

There should always be a variety, 80's inspiried, 90's, all types, variety and what people like will determine if it's marketable or not.

Neff

Rambo might be cartoony and stupid for much of its running time, but as it closes you get the impression that Rambo's patriotism isn't blind or unconditional. He does love America, or it seems like he wants to, but he's all too aware that she's collectively corrupt, uncaring, and cruel.

And First Blood? That's genius.

The Reagan-era man is a morally cut-and-dry figure, with clear delineation between good guys and bad guys. John Rambo exemplifies this. Rambo is a national symbol of toughness who “wins” his films by “defeating enemies through violent physical action.”

This seems to me like the author watched some of the trailers for research and called it a day. Rambo is no clear-cut good guy. We empathise with him because he has a good heart and because he's unfairly shit on, but he's a slave to his trauma, his combat instincts, and his bitterness, which of course makes him spiral dangerously out of control. As for clear-cut bad guys, he is betrayed, twice, by
'good guys'

Just read the article. Full of contradictions, errors, assumptions, and bending of facts to fit a flimsy, broad agenda.

eso76

Because in the genre of killing everything on screen, a dainty character makes little sense?

Look at the composure of real world soldiers, male or female.

Yeah, this.
A lot of the time it's gameplay dictating main characters' appearance.

Most devs still can't figure how to make a game that doesn't revolve around killing/beating people. It's like the only fun device the industry knows.

Let me rephrase that: the only device the AAA industry knows.

We've had different genres with different main characters for decades.

Video games are uniquely suited to providing power fantasies. They aren't very well suited to telling a morally complex story. We have books, TV and, to a lesser extent because they're so sort, movies to do that. A good action game requires a skill based gameplay loop that you repeat over and over again, which means repeatedly killing tons and tons of enemies. How would you make a Dances with Wolves game with good gameplay? Dances with Wolves would only work as some sort of Telltale style adventure game, or walking simulator, and these types of games aren't much different than movies.

Henkka

Banned
I can't even....did these people even PLAY or watch ANY of these games or movies???

Metal gear allows you play multiple ways, you can go completely stealth and do not have to take anyone out outside of select few or boss fights.

Also side of justice? Umm.....yeah do they even know that Boss, Liquid, and Solid Snake are not the same people??? .

I think they're talking about the original MSX games. But still, it's pretty daft to expect moral gray areas and musings on masculinity from 8-bit games.

Lork

The thread title is extremely misleading, giving people a very inaccurate idea of what the article actually says. For starters, it doesn't seem to be advocating for games to stop emulating 80s movies, not directly anyway. A mod should probably change it, as it's really riling people up in this thread.

Having said that, this seems like a terrible piece. Just about every single attempt at analysis of a game or movie is way off the mark. It reads as if the author hasn't bothered to play or watch any of the titles being discussed.

Aeqvitas

The commentary on Rambo is atrocious. Clearly the author never watched the first Rambo film, which is all about the problems of post-traumatic stress on Vietnam War vets. Rambo actively avoids killing in the film as much as possible, and is acting in self-defense against over zealous government officials who are prejudiced against him simply because of his status. The film is actually a very deep commentary on many of the issues that the author is saying it blows over.

Hard to give much weight to the arguments when it's clear little to no actual research was done in support of them.

Top Bottom