• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XV - Official Review Thread

Metacritic

• 90s+

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • 85+

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • 80+

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • 75+

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • 70+

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • 65+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60+

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Below 60s

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Review Embargo Lifts on at 8:00 AM PST/ 11:00 AM EST on February 11th, 2022.

Thanks to Tinsley PR for the review code of King of Fighters XV - Stay tuned for our verdict as well :) Will update thread according as always!

Play the polls for now.

splattered

Tempted to jump on this on Xbox :) Though my time to game on console these days is so limited i'm worried i'll never play it :(

nikos

I'd love to get this, but I never really got into KoF so I'd have to learn the game plus THREE characters minimum. Seems like a lot. I'll probably get it anyway.

splattered

Almost pre-ordered deluxe edition w season pass but at like $85 or whatever I decided to wait for an eventful sale. Tons of other games to play in the meantime. Glad it's scoring well though!

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Are there any meaningful differences between PS4 version running on PS5 and the PS5 version?

I got it for PS4 because I wanted the Omega edition

Life

I get the most satisfaction out of competing in fighting games...but every time a new KOF releases - I pass. The game has a ton of characters which is great - but learning to play 3 characters simultaneously is difficult. I struggle learning multiple characters in a fighting game - especially when I have to switch between them...cos I end up doing things I normally would do with another character.

My question is - why not just drop the whole 3 v3 thing? 1 v 1 as a standard is fine - and makes it so easy to get into. Heck, making it a tag-team game with assists is easier than learning 3 characters. Until KOF does that - it's hard to be interested.

I know the game allows you to play 1 v 1 but its not the competitive standard.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Are there any meaningful differences between PS4 version running on PS5 and the PS5 version?

I got it for PS4 because I wanted the Omega edition
PS5 has better load times but worse input lag. They might be some performance issues on PS4 for supers as I was noticing some choppiness yesterday during some moves.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
PS5 has better load times but worse input lag. They might be some performance issues on PS4 for supers as I was noticing some choppiness yesterday during some moves.
So it sounds like running the PS4 version on a PS5 isn't going to be any different then. Nice.

I get the most satisfaction out of competing in fighting games...but every time a new KOF releases - I pass. The game has a ton of characters which is great - but learning to play 3 characters simultaneously is difficult. I struggle learning multiple characters in a fighting game - especially when I have to switch between them...cos I end up doing things I normally would do with another character.

My question is - why not just drop the whole 3 v3 thing? 1 v 1 as a standard is fine - and makes it so easy to get into. Heck, making it a tag-team game with assists is easier than learning 3 characters. Until KOF does that - it's hard to be interested.

Are you a Capcom fanboy? Because you sound like a Capcom fanboy.

P.S. Only 2 more days until the PC version releases.

Last edited:
I struggle learning multiple characters in a fighting game - especially when I have to switch between them...cos I end up doing things I normally would do with another character.
You should really just learn how to play everyone at a most basic level anyway and then focus on a few favourites.
Most fighting games (except mk), are set up in a way where if you understand the basics/fundamentels really well, you can pass those on to different characters quite easily, even if their combos and special moves have different properties; it also helps a lot with actually understanding what your opponents are doing with other characters.

So playing a tag/team fighting game might actually make you a better fighting player as a whole.

Mabdia

I didn't play the game, our other writer has. But based of the trailers, Mai is hot as always.
james franco GIF

I've watched a review of a brazilian youtuber that seems to have the same taste as mine about the KOF series and by what him talked about the game, I might like it. And man... Vanessa, Mary and Shermie day one!!!!

Last edited:

Only want to use one character?
4101079633_d9deff6759_o.jpg

Arthimura

Planning to get this. Amazon delayed my physical copy, trying to decide if I just go digital or wait for the delivery.

I hope I can get into this game, I used to play KOF 98' a lot with local friends, after that I played some titles in the franchise but just a little.

Street Fighter V is too hard for me, too many charge characters. I can only execute combos well with a few characters.

Ge Os

You do know most tag-team games with assists requiere you to learn how to use at least 2 characters, right?

Pejo

Gold Member
So it's at 81 metacritic now, about what I expected. They added the characters I was hoping for, and the game looks fun enough, I'm in. Super pumped about B. Jenet being added later, never thought we'd see her again. Looks so much better than XIV

Mabdia

Simple!

Select a main, train to be really good with it. After that, every match give a handicap to you opponent and let he win the first 2 rounds. After that put your training into practice and kick his ass with your only main!

Life

You do know most tag-team games with assists requiere you to learn how to use at least 2 characters, right?
And you do know that 2 is less than 3, right?

Not to mention in tag fighters you swap in and out of your mains - so you're constantly getting used to playing with them. With KOF you get like 1 round on average? Unless you're really good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom