• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - "I'm a man who plays a woman in Video Games, and I'm definitely not alone".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy

Banned
As a male I always go with male. I'll only go with female if I'm replaying a game, just to make it different. But I don't mind playing as a female in games where thats the protagonist. It's not something that would influence my decision to buy the game.

Drencrom

I'm already seeing a pattern that people playing as women in games also have a female as their avatar in this thread

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I play as a female in any game that gives me a choice

Fallout:NV
Mass Effect
Saints Row

In GTA:Online having my character as a woman is perfect when I want to get the drop on bounties.

Along with Fallout 3, Skyrim, and pretty much any MMO, are games that I've had female characters in.

okayfrog

Banned
What up with gender,races,sexual orientation topics in GAF ?

Gender and sexual orientation have been hot button topics in the gaming industry since Anita Sarkeesian and her Feminist Frequency thing became big back in 2012.

Race was a big topic about five or so years ago, back when RE5 was released. It still lingers here or there, but it's not as big as gender/sexual orientation.

Ansatz

WoW is the only game I play both genders but in other cases I always pick the female character. I think it started during the N64 local multiplayer era because I liked being unique. There are generally less females to choose from and my friends always picked male characters so playing as female was a rare occurence. In Mario Kart 64 there's only Peach so I picked her and now I main Daisy because she is even more obscure. Now it's just a habit I guess.

This reminds me, A friend of mine also had a female character in WoW and would actually pretend to be a female (in game) from time to time when he wanted some help or items, gold even.

It was amazing to see the amount of help he got this way, he would get stuff for free and some would practically shower him with gold.
Knowing the truth this always made me laugh.

True Story: Back when I was a GM at Blizzard, I pulled a ticket by a guy who wanted his items and some gold back. He gave this stuff to a "girl" he met ingame and felt cheated when his little flirt turned out to be a dude. I couldn't help him though, because such behaviour is not violating the code of conduct. Unlike someone impersonating a guild member's alt character to get access to your guild (bank).

Awntawn

"The researchers found that all the men in their study moved around in a very different way than the women. The men moved backward more often, stayed farther away from groups, and jumped about twice as much as the women did. When it came to moving around, the men behaved similarly whether they gender-switched or not".
/EXPOSED

It makes sense, since women don't get to play female characters as often. When I'm given the option, 99% of the time I will choose to play as a female character.

I'm a female and if given the option during character creation, I will create a female character (and make her black like me as well). But if it is a game that has different endings or dialogue choices like the Bioware games, my second character will be male when I run through the game again.

Personally it is nice to be able to change it up and not have to be the default male character and it is pretty cool that some men feel that way as well.

No, it's not. It's perfectly fine, really.
Yeah. :< Thank you so much.

I'm fine with people who like to stare at woman's bottom instead. Though it doesn't seem like a wonderful excuse.
Why is wanting to be a woman worse than wanting to stare at a woman's behind. It's so heteronormative and cissexist.
voco2wv.png

It depends on how much player agency there is for me to decide what gender I want to play as (I'm a guy). Stuff like Dragon Age, Mass Effect and even Skyrim I play as a guy cus I am roll playing as myself in those worlds to an extent. Games where the player has little to no choice I tend to play as a woman. So games from WoW to Titanfall and Halo, I will play with a female character model. I'm not sure why but I guess I like powerful women.

Mozendo

My friend decided to play as a girl in The Old Republic.
We had so many laughs seeing guy after guy hit on him some even were sending him erotic role playing messages.

One of the worst communities I've seen. lol

Herne

Femshep for the win, she was awesome, helped along of course with some brilliant voice acting. I sometimes play Guitar Hero on the Wii not only because I just like playing it, but because of what my imagination has come up with. I play as Casey Lynch and pretend that the songs I pick in Quick Play are part of one big concert, and I love the idea of this woman who has written the guitar riffs to all those songs and is as hugely popular as any famous guitarist you could name - Slash, for example.

I created a thread a year ago explaining why I like to cheat in single-player games. Without going into too much detail, I love that while invincible nobody can hurt me, that I become this force of nature that cannot be stopped. In my current playthrough of Skyrim I play as an Altmer woman and that really is the only way to describe her - as a force of nature. She stood with fallen heroes and took down Alduin, she, as a werewolf, travelled to Castle Volkihar and destroyed Lord Harkon and the rest of his coven.

I usually pick guys, but these are examples I can think of where I've recently picked a woman instead, and it's usually because my imagination gives me a reason. Sometimes, a female character just fits better.

Brohan

True Story: Back when I was a GM at Blizzard, I pulled a ticket by a guy who wanted his items and some gold back. He gave this stuff to a "girl" he met ingame and felt cheated when his little flirt turned out to be a dude. I couldn't help him though, because such behaviour is not violating the code of conduct. Unlike someone impersonating a guild member's alt character to get access to your guild (bank).

Amazing haha,i think most would feel too ashamed to even make a ticket.

Mik2121

I used to main a guy and then have a female character as my secondary to gather good items from other guys in the server :D

I use a female avatar all the time... I don't see any issue with this.

And I'm sure there are women out there who like to use male characters as well.

Word. I don't want to stare at a dude's ass for 100+ hours.

I will never understand this "reasoning". Why are you staring at your avatar's ass in the first place?

I strongly feel that people just use this as a bullshit excuse for "I want to remove as much non-essential gear from my female avatar to look at her tits".

Yeah. :< Thank you so much.

I'm fine with people who like to stare at woman's bottom instead. Though it doesn't seem like a wonderful excuse.
Why is wanting to be a woman worse than wanting to stare at a woman's behind. It's so heteronormative and cissexist.

I wouldn't call it an excuse, so much as a reason. The same as playing to pretend to be a woman or associate with femininity would be a reason.

The majority will be more comfortable with the former because it is more relatable. People shouldn't be judged either way, IMO, but I think we could fairly say the less usual one is more "weird" if we can say that without negative connotations.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I do too. Especially in fighting games. The male characters usually suck.

WhyMe6

I always prefer play as a woman in any game that I have the choice, including those where romantic options are available (e.g. Mass Effect). I don't have any reason why, I guess it's because I don't get along with guys well in real life and I'd much, much rather be spending my game time with someone that I enjoy playing as.

Also, as has been raised, but for me applies *only* to Pokemon games: ass.

datass.png

(wish I could find the Black/White one <_<)

That said, if I'm truly roleplaying in a situation where I'm really feeling like *I'm* projecting myself onto the MC, which for me really only happens in Persona 3 and 4, I'd pick male. So, if Persona *ever* offers a choice, I'll choose male.

Ferr986

I dont really have a fixed option for this, sometimes I play a male, sometimes a female.
Lost Planet 2 MP, FFXIV, Soul Calibur V, Anarchy Reigns... played as a female character.
FFXI, Tera, PSO2, Dragons Dogma, Dark Souls, Mass Effect... as a male.

Dawg

I really don't care whether I am looking at a dude's ass or a woman's ass in MMOs.

I just play male orc in WoW because I like their big shoulders and the way armor looks on them.

RSB

Banned
99% of the time, I'll play a female if given the choice.
Yep, me too.

Being a man in the real world is enough for me, so, if given the choice, I'd rather be a woman in my videogames. I guess I'm really into RPG's... heh.

Also, women are just nicer to look at, and they look way cooler than men whenever they do heroic shit. Playing Dragon's Dogma as a redhead girl was awesome, for example. Also female Noble 6 in Halo Reach was just badass. I still haven't played Mass Effect as a woman, but I'm planning to (hopefully when they release the remastered trilogy)

NewGame

Banned
I remember guys who would play as a girl to woo deseperatos to give them free gold and items in MMOs.

Some times there's gender locked stuff in games like in Monster Hunter if you're a girl character you can dress up as one of the guild clerks.

It totally varies for me, from game to game. I almost always choose whichever character has the design/personality I like the most.

And if it's a player generated character, I usually make a guy and a girl.

Kureizu

I also play as a female everytime i get the chance. Most game protagonists are male so I like to pick a female when i can to balance that.

That does not make me change the way I say stuff in a MMO or stuff like that, that's just weird.

And yeah, Female Shepard probably has a lot to do with this.

I will never understand this "reasoning". Why are you staring at your avatar's ass in the first place?

I strongly feel that people just use this as a bullshit excuse for "I want to remove as much non-essential gear from my female avatar to look at her tits".
That's not even really reading between the lines.

What I think is interesting is that people will say things like this, insinuating that attractive avatars are preferable, but I suspect if you asked most outright whether they think Nightelves are attractive they would say something like "it's just a videogame."

I always go with female, I just prefer the look pretty much, I like stealthy theif like female characters in RPGs or characters like lightning in ff, they just look cooler to me so I go with that.

Zombine

Banned
My default is usually to make Male characters unless there is some sort of tactical advantage to using a female model.

I've slowly been experimenting though, I really think the female models in Titanfall are way cooler than the males.

I play as a female in any game that gives me a choice

Fallout:NV
Mass Effect
Saints Row

In GTA:Online having my character as a woman is perfect when I want to get the drop on bounties.

Playing a women in Saints Row's is totally worth it for the female Russian accent alone.

Tekku

I only play female characters if there are options to remove make-up and such things. I don't fancy the Barbie look that you can see in games such as Guild Wars 2. I like it when characters are somewhat neutral, and not over-the-top feminine or masculine.

When it comes to singleplayer RPG's I always choose a gender that feels interesting in regards to the role he/she plays in the game. Like in Mass Effect for example, where I think it's really unique and inspiring to follow the story of a female commander.

I'm very picky with looks if there's a certain role written for the character. My Shepard had strict hair in Mass Effect, and barely no make-up, because that's how I imagine a person of that position would look like.

A lot of people are saying the like to play as girls because they look cooler/have better stuff brings up a pet peeve of mine.

In almost every game where you get to dress your character, the guys usually always get way less nice stuff as compared to the girls, and that's always bothered me. I want cool gear for both genders. :/

Qurupeke

I don't really dislike going with either but I prefer to play as a female character, when I have the choice. There are usually better armors, weapons. Also, it's kind of funny to confuse the others in a MMO game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom