• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quiet Actress (MGS:V) on Sexualization: "Quiet's outfit is not practical at all."

We all know women put on high heels and tight dresses for the practicality of it. Same with jewelry, and make up.

Love how now we have to gaslight ourselves into thinking a character shouldn't be sexy for the sake of being sexy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

RaySoft

dt2pAi0.png

I don't see the issue.. She looks fine in the outfit.
You can't deny the diversity..

Sorcerer

I doubt it's kojima/toriyama/masashi etc who are into the over sexualization, at least 70% of them are not, Japanese creators aren't given that kind of freedom given in the west If they hand in a project, ceo's/shareholders will straight up tell them "Go make a character more like Goku" or "make the two female characters sexier and make sure she's wearing something skimpy"

Simply put that shit sells to their majority male audience, I just hate it when they f*** with the creators vision, whether it's fans attacking Neil Druckman or Kotaku giving Enix shit for the lack of diversity

Creators should do whatever the hell they want.

Plus Death stranding is all him, so no old man Japanese CEOs demanding sexy character to project higher sells
Interesting, I always think of Kojima as one who had maybe a little more automony than most. Therefore, with that in mind my post should have read "Kojima games" rather than attribute the sexualization to Kojima himself (I don't know either way) but better to err on the side of caution. Your point is taken!!!

Last edited:

deathsaber

I mean, it's not, she's not wrong, but whatever. She looked great in the role. Its not like MGS is realistic. That IP feigns "tactictal realism" but its basically as anime as it comes.

She took the job, cashed her check, gained a degree of internet nerd fame that can be extended to other modeling, streaming, acting, voice-acting, motion-capture, face-modeling, whatever else she wants to do in or around the greater "nerdy" industry, and she got a career out of it. Good for her.

rsouzadk

I thought she had to wear the clothes and didnt talk because
she photosynthesized and was infected with a specific strain of whatever bioweapon they were dealing with in mgs5,
not because she sustained injuries fighting big boss in the beginning of the game.
Am I misremembering something? its been almost a decade.
She breathes through her skin.

Last edited:

Fbh

5 Pages and no one has posted the Ocelot model swap gifs?
PkVd.gif

aZYItL.gif

Either way her response seems good. Admits it was a bit silly but without throwing Kojima under the bus or pretending it was huge issue like gaming media wants it to be.

Vaelka

We all know women put on high heels and tight dresses for the practicality of it. Same with jewelry, and make up.

Love how now we have to gaslight ourselves into thinking a character shouldn't be sexy for the sake of being sexy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The only thing that rly bothers me about it is how people only care about '' muh practicality '' when it comes to what women wear, but then you can have guys running around on battlefields wearing no armor with their shirts off or weird fantasy armor where the helmet alone would literally break their neck and they've got spikes coming out everywhere etc.
I don't think I've ever in my life seen anyone complain about practicality when it comes to male character designs, and it's not because they're practical.
Like people will see a fully armored woman and throw a tantrum about her because her breastplate has even a slight hint of a womans chest but then they'll say nothing when a guy next to her isn't wearing any armor at all or is wearing some insane armor that would render him immobile.

The thing that bothers me on the topic as a whole tho and how it gets lumped in with diversity and representation for some reason is that these character designs literally makes things more diverse too?
Since when did diversity mean less options?
Does diversity and representation just mean modesty?
Obviously a bikini swings heavily in the other direction, but so what?
If anything it just makes characters in the industry more diverse not less, it would've been different if every character in games wore a bikini but that's obviously not true and would be an absurd claim.

It's just really frustrating how it's always people on the '' pro-modesty/ prudish '' side who always are so obsessed with shoving their views down everyones throat and acting like their way is the only way.
I think some people need to get over themselves and just accept that people are allowed to enjoy different things for a variety of different reasons and that the industry is big enough for everyone.
The same goes for ppl complaining about '' woke games '' and such too, I do think it's overdone today maybe but I don't think that even a '' super woke '' game existing is a problem in and of itself.

Honestly even when it comes to stuff like bikini armor the frequency of it has been blown completely out of proportion, and in basically every game that had it there were also men running around half-naked in combat too.
Bikini armor was basically '' we can't show womens nipples, so we gotta cover them somehow '', they were basically the equivelant of a guy with his shirt off.
I honestly struggle even thinking of games with actual bikini armor that aren't/ weren't Korean games too, there's a reason why almost always people point at Tera Online and can't really point to much else.
Is it really a problem then?
Is the argument that games like Tera has no right to exist because that's all I can interpret from people complaining about it?

Edit: Also last thing I'll say about it then I've said my peace lmao.
I hate how people try and guilt trip people into '' just admit you just like it because it's sexy ''.
It always feels like people are just trying to get you to say it for alterior motives, especially because the same people tend to talk about it in a really negative way it always comes across like they're trying to paint you as a pervert or make your opinion seem less valid.
Like I have no issue saying that yes I like that 2B's design is sexy ( and I also think it's a really cool design too... it can be both ).
But if someone is like trying to pressure me into '' admiting it '' then it feels like they're coming at it from a bad faith angle and are trying to reduce my opinion.

At least she knows its "fantasy" departament, and it's not supposed to mirror reality. Unless she consider having a mechanical functional arm and having a bone in your skull as a part of reality.
But even if it was, I would still disagree with her. A female bimbo as an assassin is perfectly acceptable because the nature of beauty and sexyness plays a role in assassination.

As I said above it's very one-sided against women to begin with too.
But even characters like James Bond are completely unrealistic, not just because of the tools and gadgets but also his entire persona that's just not what spies are like at all lmao Bond would've been the absolute worst agent ever.
He draws a ridiculous amount of attention to himself nothing in the Bond movies really make sense from an actual irl secret agent angle.
The reason why he traditionally wears suits isn't because they're practical or what actual agents wear it's because of the fantasy angle.

Not to mention that using sex is an actual tool that real life agents and spies do use, but it's almost always women who do it xD.
There have even been cases in the US where female spies from other countries have slept themselves up to VERY high positions in governmental agencies for many years before getting caught.

But yeah I think people obsess about practicality and realism when in reality it's usually just an attempt to justify why things they dislike shouldn't exist in their mind.
I don't believe that people who complain about '' impractial armor '' or attire for women in games genuinely care about it... If they did they'd apply the same standards to men too and they don't..

Sometimes clothes are more sexy
Not saying you're doing this specifically, but it's kinda funny and annoying how people sexualize modesty while at the same time going after others for finding revealing attire sexy.
It's something I see too with stuff like people very aggressively going after people for liking big boobs or skinny women and accusing them of sexual objectification, but then they'll VERY aggressively sexualize and fetishize women who are muscular.
Even women who are actual athletes and don't want to be sexualized.

Or ppl complaining about revealing armor being sexualized but then in the next breath they'll sexualize the hell out of women in full historical-styled armor.
Like at that point the complaint it's just a '' you're not sexualizing it according to my taste '' rant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom