• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quiet Actress (MGS:V) on Sexualization: "Quiet's outfit is not practical at all."

cortadew

She's secretly cool as fuck. She was cinematic director on Wanted: Dead, and also released a good 80s style album used on the OST. Unlockables in the game include several episodes of a cooking show she is hosting live that are pretty hilarious. And she just released a single with Giorgio Moroder a few days ago.
How can you be cool and hot at the same time 😬

Majormaxxx

Sex appeal is bad m'kay. But - sex WORK is good. As long as it's done by stronk independent wxmen. So if Quiet was a sex WORKER in mgs, it would have been fine. Silly Kojima, next time consult us here at gaf to avoid being canceled.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
To be fair military equipment isn't practical either, that's why you need to train with it to reduce the hindrance.
But Quiet wasn't part of any Military with standard issue uniform and equipment so you can't even compare.
A lot of mercenaries don't wear practical clothes either and that's what she was.
Not defending her outfit but you can't control what a woman wears, practical or not

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Seems her career in games was also not practical

Also not discussing her being in the game glad they still push stuff like this is 2023 🤫

Last edited:

A.Romero

Bitching about oversexualization is just as stupid as bitching about undersexualization.

Respect the creator's choices and play what suits your taste. It's not that hard.

Hudo

Sounds to me like she was cornered by the interviewer so she gave a fluff answer, you can tell she doesn't really care. lol
This is the most likely case. Interviewer wanted to create some bullshit for Twitter and she gave the best non-response response she could.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

There shouldn't be any controversy. Devs get criticized for making "sexualized characters" while half the bitches on the internet sexualize themselves online either for attention or money.
Those are two different scenarios,what a person does to themselves is different than someone taking liberties fictional game/movie character.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Ah yes a "product of the time", I too remember the many eons in the past that was 8 years ago, how did we ever get through such a barbaric era and I'm glad we have since learned that sex is evil

sexy girl GIF

shamoomoo

Sometimes clothes are more sexy
She wouldn't have to were close,if Quiet skin was like Snake's suit then Quiet can change the color and I believe texture of her skin like an octopus to be less salacious. Hell, give her hair manipulation on top of skin color/texture manipulation.

Brigandier

I can remember the purple people going mad about Quiet being on all fours in the chopper when she literally shoves her ass in snakes face 🤣🤣🤣

I just found it ridiculous like MGSV's story.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I’d love to see the RAW interview with the questions IGN was asking her.
Quiet's outfit is not practical at all. Even with the explanation that was given of her breathing through her skin, of course there were so many other options you could have gone with. I do agree on that. I got to see the character artwork when we were starting motion capture, and of course my first reaction was, 'that's a very revealing costume', but I respected it and accepted it. So that's basically my stance. It's fantasy, and I find that acceptable as well.

Roni

Gold Member
Quiet was fine, another great bait and switch from Kojima.

FYI, when Kojima said people would be ashamed of their words and deeds, he meant the sheer number of results for this simple google search:

Keep Quiet MGSV: 235k entries.

How many other female characters choose (of their own volition) to peace out on the player in an action game?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I thought her opinion seemed pretty nuanced. But I also have zero problem with sexualization in games, like who cares? Games, movies, etc, are often idealizations of reality, why do the psychos who whine about this shit feel that every media property has to make a statement on modern social issues?

It's okay for shit to be cool, sexy, or weird if that's what the creator wants to do. The only thing that matters is consistency within the rules of the narrative.
My only problem is that she says that she understands the complaints too and connected it to games needing more representation… as if her character clothing made a difference in her sex and/or gender…

DryvBy

Didn't Joosten pretty much get all her fame from Quiet/Joosten simps? We wouldn't even know her name if Quiet was clothed.
The article seems to lean towards she doesn't care that it was over the top. Her bottom line is just like whatever, next question.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Those are two different scenarios,what a person does to themselves is different than someone taking liberties fictional game/movie character.

The main reason why people there's backlash is because some people believe women shouldn't be viewed as sex objects. They believe women should be portrayed differently in games.

The point is that this shouldn't even matter because a lot of women already sexualize themselves on social media. This hurts the portrayal of women more than a video game character like Quiet. Developers should be free to create what they want - as long as it's not downright offensive.

LordOfChaos

Then you shouldn't have taken the money for it should you have.

The least useful takes are those that take the payment and stay quiet (haha) while a thing is relevant, and then come out on the other side once their period of giving a shit about its sales is over. It's just a way to put you in the news twice.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
I’d take that outfit over something like her being in a greenhouse enclosure or something. Kojima characters are just kinda out there like that.

Fatbody

I wonder if she’s aware that if the people who complained about her outfit had their way, not only would they cover her up, but they’d likely tack on 30 pounds and 15 years as well. And maybe even give her the T-800 endoskull face for good measure.

violence

Can we just take a moment to appreciate Stefanie's stunning green eyes
H8HWnEz.jpg
mdaNcsR.jpg
She looks like a photoshop. She must make the crazy cat lady's jealous.

so how many more years before we find out how this guy felt about dressing like this?:

Skull-Face-Play-Arts-Kai-5.jpg
What is the ridiculous lore reason for making polygons looks like this. This is poor treatment of all men polygons.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Beautiful women aren’t allowed in games these days. You’ve got to be overweight, ugly, and have half your head shaved to match to developers.

Last edited:
Please someone rewinds me the whole (probably absurd) argument to explain to me how simple clothes can prevent air from passing through? Normal skin already does breathe perfectly well through normal clothes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom