• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Larian Studios: "I don't think current-gen consoles would be able to run Baldur's Gate 3"

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Are you coming to other storefronts on PC, are you coming to consoles?

Walgrave:
We are now focusing on PC and Stadia but that's it. I... did not prepare for this question so I have no idea [laughs].

So, the previous games, we ported them to PC, Mac, Switch, Xbox and PlayStation. Because when you've been working on a game for three years or so, you just want to maximise the audience, like let's sell it to more people!

Once it's done on PC and it does come to thinking about consoles, would that be next-gen?

Walgrave:
Mmhmm! I don't think that current-gen consoles would be able to run it. There's a lot of technical upgrades and updates that we did to our engine, and I don't know if it would be capable of being able to actually run on those things.

Maybe it could run, but then we would have to tone down the textures and this and that and it wouldn't look as cool anymore.

check the link for more.

This can't run on current gen consoles? Right....

587004965550293029.png

daveonezero

Banned
that sounds a bit extreme. We know it wouldn't look as good. Everyone still wants it on the massively popular consoles out today.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, come on... It looks about on par with Divinity: Original Sin II and certainly doesn't appear to be doing anything much more sophisticated that Dragon Age: Inquisition graphically.

Suck my dick, Google Stadia.
I still have zero interest in cloud gaming. I don’t see why they’re putting any effort in it, especially for BG3. Focus on the platformS people actually care about. I can see why they’re passing up on current gen since next gen is out this holiday season.

It they make it a EGS exclusive then they’ll definitely be on my shit list.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Since the game looks identical to DOS2 which is fantastic on console, this is obvious bullshit.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I still have zero interest in cloud gaming. I don’t see why they’re putting any effort in it, especially for BG3. Focus on the platformS people actually care about. I can see why they’re passing up on current gen since next gen is out this holiday season.

It they make it a EGS exclusive then they’ll definitely be on my shit list.
It's coming DRM free to GOG.

Last edited:

Mokus

The game is far from finished product and by the time they'll launch the GOTY edition, next gen consoles will be here to handle anything. So no stress.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So the divinity original sin 2 dlc / sorry baldurs gate 3 is not running on current consoles?

Sure jen 🤭

Do we have sales figures for the Divinity console releases? If the numbers were crap I could see why they wouldn't bother with a port, but if they sold well why not make the money?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
ITT people who have never played Divinity os 2 on PC and an Xbox One.

There are differences. Big differences. Split screen co op runs like dog shit on consoles.

The PC version is superior and I say this as a console player!
I've played it on PC and Xbox One X. I didn't notice any difference.

Vawn

Banned
ITT people who have never played Divinity os 2 on PC and an Xbox One.

There are differences. Big differences. Split screen co op runs like dog shit on consoles.

The PC version is superior and I say this as a console player!

Well, then that's on the team doing the port. There is no reason why Divinity 2 shouldn't run flawlessly on Xbox One.

johntown

Banned
I didn’t see anything jaw dropping graphics wise that would make me think it could not run on consoles. Maybe their engine or optimization sucks?

Eurojank is notoriously hard to optimize.
.... what? DOS1 and DOS2 are far from eurojank. They’re probably one of the most polished games I’ve played from across the pond. DOS1 has its issues and the definitive edition, which they released for free, fixed all of that. Then DOS2 came out great from the start and it’s definitive edition just makes it even better.

Larian is on track to be the next CD Projekt RED. They’re good people and they make good games with great consumer interaction.

GHG

People exposing themselves ITT. Imagine claiming Larian are Eurojank.

If they say they think it will struggle to run on current gen consoles then it most likely will.

If they didn't target current gen consoles when they were making their engine upgrades then why would it run well?

Last edited:

Pallas

Hopefully we can see it run on XsX and PS5 but I guess this is a small victory for Stadia? By small, I mean really small.

Kumomeme

..b...bbut people been saying that scale down is easy! turn down the slider!

joke aside..its a sign that next gen console would left current gen in the dust

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've read hundreds if not thousands of posts in this forum the past few months about how the new consoles will "raise the baseline", but when a dev working on a PC game says they raised their baseline to the point where a console port will be on the new consoles instead of the old consoles, people get upset.

RedVIper

Banned
I've read hundreds if not thousands of posts in this forum the past few months about how the new consoles will "raise the baseline", but when a dev working on a PC game says they raised their baseline to the point where a console port will be on the new consoles instead of the old consoles, people get upset.

I mean, people don't seem upset, there's just nothing particularly impressive about this game to say that consoles can't run it.

h3ad0rZ

Yeah, with the way they port them it makes sense, I played DOS2 on PS4 Pro and when there was fire on screen, it was also in my console.

Stuart360

I know you cant really compare different games from different genres, but XB1/PS4 can run DOOM Eternal (which is the best looking game yet imo, the PC version anyway), at 60fps i presume, but cant run Baldurs Gate 3?, ok.
I swear we get these quotes a few months before a new gen, every time. Its like they want to release it on next gen, but dont want to upset current gen owners, so talk bullshit.

Top Bottom