• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Larian Studios: "I don't think current-gen consoles would be able to run Baldur's Gate 3"

Quezacolt

I love how all these devs come out during the year of new consoles and suddenly nothing can work on the current systems.
yep. the game looks great, but we've seen games on the same level and even with huge open worlds, so this excuse is dumb, or they simply can't optimize their engine.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I love how all these devs come out during the year of new consoles and suddenly nothing can work on the current systems.

That's because they are measuring it based on settings that only the PCs can handle well. You guys keep looking at the current gen games and how they had to make all the sacrifices. Well, they aren't what is representative of the director's vision. BG3 is incredibly detailed and definitely the best looking RPG to date imo. The graphics engine (UE4) has a LOT of 3D features in it. I would be surprised if the 2080Ti can handle 4k/60FPS with all the settings maxed out.

Kenpachii

divinity 2 had to be rebuilded for consoles so its not shocking that this is the case.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

iorek21

I wish I knew how to play Larian Studios' games.

I did something like 10h at Divinity 1, fell in love with its setting, characters and exploration, but I just suck at that combat system, I struggled even on easy.
Not really a surprise though, I also gave up on Pillars of Eternity a while back (I know, they are different kind of games, but I still suck nonetheless).

Kinda sad, really, people say a lot of good things about Divinity 2 and Baldurs Gate 3 also looks great, but I bet I would get stuck in a random encounter after the tutorial xD

RedVIper

Banned
I would be surprised if the 2080Ti can handle 4k/60FPS with all the settings maxed out.

I could make a game that looked like CS 1.6 and a 2080TI couldn't run, that doesn't mean the game is just "too demanding", it means that I made a poorly optimized game.

If a 2080TI can't run this game at 4k/60fps it just means the the engine isn't properly optimized.

daveonezero

Banned
I wish I knew how to play Larian Studios' games.

I did something like 10h at Divinity 1, fell in love with its setting, characters and exploration, but I just suck at that combat system, I struggled even on easy.
Not really a surprise though, I also gave up on Pillars of Eternity a while back (I know, they are different kind of games, but I still suck nonetheless).

Kinda sad, really, people say a lot of good things about Divinity 2 and Baldurs Gate 3 also looks great, but I bet I would get stuck in a random encounter after the tutorial xD
Really? dang I'm sorry. The combat is great when it clicks. I have a thing with this game and things like it of FOMO and having the best party. For Original Sin it took me a dozen or so tries to get my beginning party right with the other available characters. . Finally settled with a dual wielding wizard, sword and shield (paladin like) warrior, The Beast chick as an archer and wolfram as a rogue. With this I got a good mix of magic and able to manipulate the ground with my mage and have a tank. I think after you get a decent party and some skills it becomes more manageable.

I'm having the same trouble here not being able to get the characters I want. I may just have to make up my own and then use the ones in the game. Just not sure who I am interested in traveling with.

ElOdyssey

Neo Member
Huge pc gamer but this sounds like either he wasn’t sure what to say and said whatever or just plain ol’ bullshit. Thinking the latter. If The Last of Us Part 2 is on PS4 then this can run on current gen consoles.

supernova8

Banned
Plenty of more complex/visually pleasing games that run on current gen. Framerates aren't always the best but to say it won't run on current gen sounds like them being lazy.

Certainly didn't see any dazzling new gameplay mechanics that need a next gen machine to run.

Grinchy

Banned
We have new consoles coming in like 4 months. Just put it out on those.

Stadia :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom