• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs at Respawn somehow mostly hitting "PoC, queer folks and those on parental & medical leave" complains disabled queer ployamorous employee

This is what happens when people go out of their way to be problematic employees. They go into the workplace, create a bunch of resource groups, spend all their time "managing and advocating" for said group, instead of actually performing the job they were hired for. They accept a job with clearly stated terms, then start building a "movement" for full time remote work and/or unionizing against the evil empire, talking shit about the employer on internal channels and even publicly on social media. They file endless HR complaints against everyone in the building for some made up indiscretion and back themselves into a corner where no one wants to interface with them and then wonder why they'd be fodder for a layoff.

It’s incredible just how unproductive, incompetent and useless some people actually are. Good on Respawn for getting rid. They are usually the ones that spend all their time in pointless meetings, wasting time arranging stupid work ‘social’ events (I.e. lgbt+ awareness coffee afternoon) and attending nonsensical and unimportant ‘workshops’ for this and that. Seriously, these people actively avoid doing their actual jobs. It’s like when Elon Musk sacked something like 80% of Twitter staff and everything continued to run smoothly.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I said it in another topic.. changing is coming.. the world is waking from the woke fever dream.. it will take some time but the entertainment industry will heal and go back to Hiring for merit and make content that sells the most and not the content that spread "the message"

Last edited:

Romulus

It's insane we have to coddle these people even when they typically contribute far less.

I've worked around these types for years at different places, never once met one that was a top tier hard worker. They make everything about their "situation" because they have to. There's nothing else to offer.

Meanwhile I've seen disabled veterans with missing limbs out work them, all the while the blue haired posse whines and moans.

Last edited:
You can take this situation and completely remove all subjective statements and it makes complete sense.

"I was laid off today along with all the people who work closely with me"

This is completely logical and requires no sort of bias on the part of the management. I was once laid off, and they simply got rid of 20 contractors. It had nothing to do with my gender, attitude, productivity, etc. It was just getting rid of non-essential staff.
Fucking THANK YOU.

Mortisfacio

Tech company I work for has quite a few of these people. If I look at who I view as "top employees" as far as work ethic and technical skills, this group is not remotely there in my experience. Sure it's anecdotal, but I suspect this observation isn't isolated to my experience.

FeralEcho

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Finally,maybe after more diversity hires being laid off this industry can start actually releasing games faster than a 10 year cycle since these mentally challenged people spend more time on their twitter bio than actually working on developing the damn thing they were hired for in the first place.

Sound like some of the people who think they deserve better treatment for being queer.

I have no problem with queer people of any kind, but getting sick of the whole pronoun discussion. Why do they need to have something special, isn’t it enough if they are free to choose between he or she…

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Diversity hires are the first ones to go. Makes sense.
When it comes to layoffs it typically goes like this:

Sales demand drops a lot
- Anyone can get fired, including warehouse and production crews because demand has dropped
- Any department can get chopped

Sales demand is still good
- Support functions like HR, finance, category analysis, various departmental analysts etc.... are the first to go since they arent revenue generators or product shippers
- Since sales are still good, typically production workers are still needed, and sales is often needed to keep sales going, so to improve profits a company can get by cutting some of the less essential functions, or redundancies
- When times are kicking ass, companies often expand on support functions in hopes of efficiencies and analysis squeeze more profits if you got a bunch of internal staff analyzing processes and numbers

DEI kind of people are probably the first to go. Not only are they not sales or production/shipping functions, but they also dont contribute to financial/cost/efficiency support roles either.

Thats why these kinds of roles are heavy in tech companies with tons of money floating around thinking budgets are unlimited, while traditional companies will never build a company with DEI people as the cornerstone.

Think of it like sports. A team might build a core based on a quarterback, or goalie, or starting ace pitchers etc.... Then they round out the team. DEI hires and their HR supporters are like a the loud cheerleader bench player. Loud, can be seen and heard a mile, away but not essential to the team. Half the time they dont even play in games. When times are good, it's fun and cool to have these guys on the team. When the team sucks, these guys get waived mid season or dont get resigned in the off season. The team will find someone else who can contribute in a meaningful way. The comedics are over. Need to find players who can dig in and win.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This diversity shit needs to be over in all fields of work
Hire competent people competent developers no matter their race gender or whatever
Just imagine if you need to call a plumber, and the guy who shows up at your door is a forced diversity hire, or while he fixes your leaking pipe he starts talking about politics, gender and how brown PVC pipe is better than a white one because white pipes are evil.

But you dont get that.

But for whatever reason a lot of techie and entertainment companies enjoy hiring political people while most other companies dont.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This is what happens when people go out of their way to be problematic employees. They go into the workplace, create a bunch of resource groups, spend all their time "managing and advocating" for said group, instead of actually performing the job they were hired for. They accept a job with clearly stated terms, then start building a "movement" for full time remote work and/or unionizing against the evil empire, talking shit about the employer on internal channels and even publicly on social media. They file endless HR complaints against everyone in the building for some made up indiscretion and back themselves into a corner where no one wants to interface with them and then wonder why they'd be fodder for a layoff.

And who is to blame? You don’t think those red flags were there when this employee was hired? HR dropped the ball, and someone should be fired for this hire. They have the potential to derail the company’s production and cause the company money in legal fees.

Shut0wen

I hope the person who made catalyst is fired, if they want to add someone who isnt mentally stable thats fine, no problems with that but its a known fact respawn made them the most chattiest arsehole in the whole game

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who would hire someone like this...
It's insane
Believe it or not, her Linkedin says she's worked at 5 different companies since 2014 (last job is Respawn leaving in spring 2023). She doesn't seem to last more than a few years before moving on. I've been at my current company for over 10 years alone.

She probably got canned from Respawn a year ago, so she is salty.

Last edited:
I very much doubt that they'll be targeted for dismissal for anything other than their role is no longer required or they are not producing results. There's very little chance that an organisation would sack someone in this day and age for any of the reasons spouted by that fucking clown. The legal action taken against them would be massive.

If a bunch of psychotic snowflakes were sacked as part of the restructure then that's no real loss. The less of that nonsense that appears in games, the better.

Cyberpunkd

DEI kind of people are probably the first to go. Not only are they not sales or production/shipping functions, but they also dont contribute to financial/cost/efficiency support roles either.

Thats why these kinds of roles are heavy in tech companies with tons of money floating around thinking budgets are unlimited, while traditional companies will never build a company with DEI people as the cornerstone.
Which is why I absolutely adore working in Sales - if you are good you never get fired. If you do - everyone wants to hire you since YOU BRING THE MONEY IN.

Fbh

Companies need to cut costs and improve productivity.
Probably fires the least productive, harder to work with people
A lot of them end up being from the blue hair twitter pronoun brigade
Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

What is with these weirdos and their persecution complex, anyway? “Everyone at the office is mean to me. They’re all out to get me,” buddy nobody cares about you. You really believe entire groups of colleagues set their alarm clock in the morning and go to work just to ruin your day?

Narcissism. When you think you are perfect and can do no wrong, everything bad that happens to you needs an external explanation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Which is why I absolutely adore working in Sales - if you are good you never get fired. If you do - everyone wants to hire you since YOU BRING THE MONEY IN.
Yup.

The only time I've ever experienced first hand at some sales people laid off in an organized way was a restructuring where two divisions got merged so a bunch of us in different departments got gassed (me included).

But typically Sales is kept extra long as you guys are the frontline revenue generators. Support roles like me in finance will be gassed faster when the company is on hard times, but it's never a giant purge. There's always a finance team kept to do the numbers, formal submissions, accounting, taxes etc... Nice to have jr and mid level analysts are likely gassed first. Required finance people are kept.

Last edited:
So they're firing mentally unstable people?

Donald Glover Reaction GIF
Shaun The Sheep Movie Ok GIF

Plotting The Simpsons GIF
Most Excellent Yes GIF by Atlanta

The fact that this person firstly shoves all self proclaimed titles in your face is a clear indication it was justified.
Noone deserves special treatment for being different.
Noone deserves more attention for being different.

These people 9/10 times think they're above all others, just because an electical signal in their brain makes them second guess their place in life.

When they dont get this special treatment or talk to people who don't go along with their Fairy tale way of thinking, things get ugly real fast.
And then they draw the fucking victim card.

STOP SAYING YOU'RE SPECIAL AND DO YOUR FUCKING JOB AND LIVE YOUR LIFE!!!

Dont try to force others to see you the way you'd like. The world doesnt work that way.

Toxic wastes of oxygen.

Its fine to feel the way you feel. If that gives you comfort thats fine and all the power to you, sincerely.

But it's a bit like a penis. People don't like it when you ram it down their throats.

And that's exactly where the pushback is coming from. Forcing your ideals on to us. We. Wont. Have. It.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That kid is going to need one hell of a therapist.
That assumes there's enough time in the day for a therapy session.

She's a queer polyamorous parent on Twitter. So she's into multiple partners both men and women. That kid will be bounced around hanging out with whomever is the friends with benefits week to week.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I very much doubt that they'll be targeted for dismissal for anything other than their role is no longer required or they are not producing results. There's very little chance that an organisation would sack someone in this day and age for any of the reasons spouted by that fucking clown. The legal action taken against them would be massive.

If a bunch of psychotic snowflakes were sacked as part of the restructure then that's no real loss. The less of that nonsense that appears in games, the better.
Notice how they don’t actually say “the layoffs were targeted at people because of their identity”. Instead they try to lead the reader to that conclusion without saying it outright, probably because it’s untrue and they have no evidence for it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Always be weary comparing someone's linkedin and Twitter account. It's Jeckyll & Hyde.

Not surprisingly, her Linkedin seems pretty standard. Not a great pic, but the content is typical.. Listed some jobs, added some bullet points what she did etc... Zero weird posts or politics.

Her Twitter page is a mess. Just skim the first couple pages and it's all out complaining, looking for sympathy, publicly talks about a settlement from Riot Games, talks about a settlement needing to pay the father of her kid $10k etc....

Zero filter. Tell her a secret and no doubt the next day she'll air out your secret on her Twitter.

DonF

Nope found their profile they keep showing pictures of the child and talking about how their therapist in a "and then everyone stood and clapped" kind of way.

Good look to the child they will need it.

"massive medication-induced headache triggered by meds"

person, I dont like you because you write poorly, not because of your bio. But also because of your bio.

Top Bottom