• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends World Championships 2015 |OCT 1-OCT 31|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
To be fair, what doesn't China play? lol

Also is China like universally hated in asia or something?

They all hate each other. It's part of our shared culture.

Pan-Asia Co-Grudges Sphere

faridmon

SKT is just too strong. China needs to re-evaluate itself in order to even come close to these guys. The aggressive, mindless battles, while entertaining, just don't work against a team that have impeccable decision making and great shot calling. Also they need to strengthen their playstyle of Vision strategies and turret diving since that is the only thing they have an advantage over the Koreans, although relying too much on that just decreases your shot calling on instincts and fast reaction times. Oh and get educated on teh current metas you idiots.

EU have done their best and they can only improve from there. The just need to create an even more competitive scene since most of the teams in that continents are more or less shit. They also need to increase their champion pools. When you see Koreans expect counters and counter-counters, you just can't relay on Janna or Morgana for supp only for instance. Their gameplay style have become state and need to mix and match. Their aggressive style have gone a long way, they just need to play more like a team and stop relaying on individuals to carry teams. Oh and they should learn how to stop tilting when you lose.

NA..... Lol, Just stop being so damn predictable and you might get 1 more win.

zkylon

zkylewd
thinking back about worlds this year, i think there were a lot of fun games, specially around the first three weeks, and while from then onwards it was mostly clean sweeps, i think a lot of the games were fun to watch and competitive even if skt looked undefeatable.

champion variety was fun and also we saw lots of different strategies at play from many different teams. the blue side advantage was a big spot on the competitive quality of the whole thing but there's always something and good teams played around it well. the best team won and the best teams made it to worlds (maybe ig didn't deserve their spot but w/e), and that was really cool. riot really made the points system work.

presentation wise tho, i think these worlds were kind of a big stepback from previous years

i think the worlds trailer was really bad and boring (i loved the song tho), these finals being set in a closed stadium looked imo a lot less exciting than korea's finals. i don't really like imagine dragons but i appreciated them being there and the effort to make the celebration longer and more fun for the audience, it just felt like a much bigger and more fun event. and they didn't interview the koo players this time. and they still messed up the cup stuff and it's still super heavy for like the fourth year in a row which looks awkward as fuck, as did skt when they looked like they weren't told they could grab it yet

also finals being kr vs kr just begged for montecristo to be casting, not on the analyst desk. jatt and deficio did a good job but it just feels wrong. i can understand not having doa (tho doa+monte would've been godly), but monte just had to be there

and finally the patch thing, i think rito learned their lesson and will have to time their big patches better next year, because it just warped the meta so hard that some of the teams looked unrecognizable from themselves when they earned their regional spots. similarly, the gragas bug and the vision bugs were pretty bad and hopefully will be fixed by next years. rito acted fair on all of that but still soured things a bit

all in all not my favorite worlds, i think i enjoyed last year's much better, in no small part cos the timezone was much better to watch with friends (and that's not really rito's fault lol), but i just wish the finals had more flair to them. they were just so bland this year

i mean faker was doing rolls and eating broccoli and trolling fans and talking in english, faker was awesome, you have to do your part too rito, best league player ever deserves better

and ffs make another fucking anime trailer next year. i'm tired of grimdark black and white dramatic shit, worlds is supposed to be fun, not depressing

edit: i know gragas bug was fixed u dumbo, it's still bad that a key champion at worlds is disabled

Usobuko

Banned
Here's my take on Korean new bloods joining the Dota scene, it is probably almost non-existent.

The LoL scene in Korea is rule by corporations first and there are many who want to curry favours with China ( reminder that Tencent is Riot's owner ). Look the prominent chinese gaming brands, LGD, IG, WE, Newbee, VG etc. They all have respective LoL/Dota teams ( they want maximum exposure in their homeland, China ) but the same cannot be said for Korea teams for the past 4 seasons I watch worlds.

Regardless of how attractive TI winnings are, new korean players don't have the financial backing to take the first step. It's probably also harder to ditch LoL and play Dota 2 instead when your peers and friends are all into LoL, as LoL had the first mover advantage in Korea.

Yes, but i think the most hated country is japan

Japan is beloved in ASEAN and they know it.

Their investment in ASEAN this year is more than 2 times higher than their investment in China for example. In most of these ASEAN countries, Japan is the no.2 biggest foreign investors, behind European Union.

that's all you took from my writeup -__-
No, that's all I had a comment about lol

I mostly agree with you, Riot had this cool venue but their overall presentation was weak. I don't wanna watch CGI Bjerg picking up a blue rock, gimme cool bands with women playing cellos while rocking kickass leather outfits and cheesy songs like a live presentation of Get Jinxed or something

killatopak

Japan is loved so much tho.

Mostly because of anime, games and its culture.

gonna be awesome when they get their own server. They're gonna love all the anime references.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TI6 is going to be holograms believe.

Livestreamed to your VR set so you can watch from the POV of the casters.

Watch as Enigma naisl a 5 man black hole right in front of your fucking eyes.

Japan as a country is hated, but their media is AAA in that sphere.

Whereas China hate is milder but everyone boycotts Chinese products (for good reasons, mind you). Even my Chinese relatives boycott Chinese products that's how bad it is.

killatopak

TI6 is going to be holograms believe.

Livestreamed to your VR set so you can watch from the POV of the casters.

Watch as Enigma naisl a 5 man black hole right in front of your fucking eyes.

Japan as a country is hated, but their media is AAA in that sphere.

Whereas China hate is milder but everyone boycotts Chinese products (for good reasons, mind you). Even my Chinese relatives boycott Chinese products that's how bad it is.

VR Lina and Rylai? Yes please.

Usobuko

Banned

This is why Johnson's Baby predict only a small impact for their business in China when the government announce the 2-children policy.

Apart from kids being expensive, even chinese avoids their own products if possible.

zkylon

zkylewd
No, that's all I had a comment about lol

I mostly agree with you, Riot had this cool venue but their overall presentation was weak. I don't wanna watch CGI Bjerg picking up a blue rock, gimme cool bands with women playing cellos while rocking kickass leather outfits and cheesy songs like a live presentation of Get Jinxed or something
yeah, i think riot has to remember that worlds is supposed to be above all young and fun

all that srs esports crap is ok i guess but to me the broccoli and the flips and crap are the really cool thing about how esports are presented (or at least esports as i know them through league of legends). i like all the epic stories of faker redeeming himself for s4 and smeb playing against his friends huni and reignover and all that, but i also want this not to sound like a stressful as fuck thing with those angsty trailers that just feel like forced goosebumps

like look at koo, they lost and they were still smiling and laughing, wish we had gotten an interview with them and wish the end stuff was a bit less scripted analysis into interview into replays and more of a fun celebration that league had another great year and how cool a game it is and all that

that's kind of why i'm not super against fist bumps and i don't think the cup needs to be a super classy glass trophy thing, make it a cool looking trophy but lighter so that pros can carry it around the stage and lift it like they do in real sports.

it's not just blindly "legitimizing esports", it's about making something fun and exciting to watch and experience

Was there anything special about the stage at Worlds?

I remember at Dota 2 International 2015 that the whole stage shows the whole map with colorful effects.

I remember at Dota 2 International 2015 that the whole stage shows the whole map with colorful effects.
The floor under the players had a screen that showed some cool things and the players were lined up so both teams were facing each other, that's about it.

zkylon

zkylewd

there were some nice effects but nothing as flashy as doto stage

i liked the stage, wouldn't say it was bad, just doto really did a cool thing this year

only thing i thought was really dumb was when skt won they had like giant faces of the players where they were standing so after that ppl were just stepping over faker and marin and co.'s faces

patchday

Well that's it for Worlds 2015. I'll bid you guys farewell til Worlds 2016

That's good. Too bad it's never gonna take off.

Don't they have their own league in Japan already? No offense but you don't seem very informed since you didn't know a server was coming in the first place.

Don't they have their own league in Japan already? No offense but you don't seem very informed since you didn't know a server was coming in the first place.
What league? And what does that have anything to do with what I said about japan's moba scene being small? I'm not talking about japan having their own league, I'm talking about overall popuarity with moba/strategy games in japan. For example, Riot has server in Turkey. That doesn't change the fact that Moba scene, let alone LOL scene in that country isn't gonna take off. The popularity of this game isn't magically gonna spawn just because Riot is creating a server in japan.

Its not that Japan isnt into mobas/strategies, whoever says that is wrong, but PC gaming in general isnt big in Japan. Thats why it took riot so long to make a japanese server, because it wasnt feasible to launch it when League was new unlike the EU servers or Korean servers where PC games are really popular.

zkylon

zkylewd
someone at reddit had a very a good suggestion for next worlds i think rito should pay attention to

6q065Mh.png

Happy with the effort from KOO. They took a game off SKT to stop them attaining the first ever perfect run at Worlds, which is something. Landed a couple of blows too in game 1 before it all fell apart in the bot lane TP play which Faker read and quickly roamed to on Kassadin. Runners-up is quite a bit more than I thought they would achieve at the start of the tournament, and they even got revenge on KT along the way. As for SKT, they were just too good. Faker and bengi deservedly become the first two-time World Champions, and Marin was exceptional on a patch geared towards top lane. This team might end up being even more dominant than the great Impact/bengi/Faker/Piglet/ManDu line up, which is crazy to think about.

zkylon

zkylewd
apparently skt said they would like these skins in an interview:

marin - thinks it's gonna be rumble/fiora but wishes for a renek skin
bengi - elise
faker - ryze (...)
bang - kaly
wolf - alistar

faker said he'd like ryze to have broccoli hair like he does which is kind of hilarious but still

fuck you ryze

you ruin everything

go back to your blue man group planet you blue person nobody likes you

apparently skt said they would like these skins in an interview:

marin - thinks it's gonna be rumble/fiora but wishes for a renek skin
bengi - elise
faker - ryze (...)
bang - kaly
wolf - alistar

faker said he'd like ryze to have broccoli hair like he does which is kind of hilarious but still

fuck you ryze

you ruin everything

go back to your blue man group planet you blue person nobody likes you

Those characters have like a billion skins each

Fuck all of those choices

zkylon

zkylewd
kaly and elise have not that many

Happy with the effort from KOO. They took a game off SKT to stop them attaining the first ever perfect run at Worlds, which is something. Landed a couple of blows too in game 1 before it all fell apart in the bot lane TP play which Faker read and quickly roamed to on Kassadin. Runners-up is quite a bit more than I thought they would achieve at the start of the tournament, and they even got revenge on KT along the way. As for SKT, they were just too good. Faker and bengi deservedly become the first two-time World Champions, and Marin was exceptional on a patch geared towards top lane. This team might end up being even more dominant than the great Impact/bengi/Faker/Piglet/ManDu line up, which is crazy to think about.
i still think best team ever was samsung white last year but yea, skt mk2 is super ahead of the curve

kaly and elise have not that many

i still think best team ever was samsung white last year but yea, skt mk2 is super ahead of the curve

As much as I agree that their flame burned brightest of all, it was expunged prematurely by Chinese gold, and watching a great team try to keep the fire burning as long as possible is what helps build their greatness. Or, to put it selfishly, I feel I was robbed of seeing Samsung White decline naturally, seeing them rage against the dying of the light, so I don't feel anything like the same admiration as I do for S3/4 SKT, S2/3 WE, and (hopefully) the revamped S5/S6 SKT.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's an upgrade from wildturtle for sure but remains to be seen what the hell will tsm end up looking like next year since there are so many players left to fill. i guess this shapes the team to probably be mid-bot centric so wonder which toplaner they'll get

and clg too, will freeze end up there then?

what will happen to xpecial? wouldn't it be kind of cool if he came back to tsm since he seemed to mesh really well with doublelift at all stars back then?

interesting stuff

What about Turtle?
tsm sub looking for team

As much as I agree that their flame burned brightest of all, it was expunged prematurely by Chinese gold, and watching a great team try to keep the fire burning as long as possible is what helps build their greatness. Or, to put it selfishly, I feel I was robbed of seeing Samsung White decline naturally, seeing them rage against the dying of the light, so I don't feel anything like the same admiration as I do for S3/4 SKT, S2/3 WE, and (hopefully) the revamped S5/S6 SKT.
sure i can agree to that

i want to see season 6 edg tho

i really want china to prove they're there

Ahahaha.

Doublelift: "Winning in NA is just not good enough for me anymore..."

You say that as if it's something you've been doing for years and not just once, man.

Top Bottom