• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak: Switch 2 to use Orin T239 Nvidia Soc , PS4 and PS4 pro performance Without DLSS

zeldaring

Banned
We're gonna have a new Nvidia Nintendo chip leaks with insider posts every few weeks for the next couple of months, each getting more and more ridiculous ultimately leading to disappointment when it finally appears 😀
It never fails. Wiiu insiders saying it's 3 x 360 and switch suppose to be between half the power of ps4 lol.

Mr.Phoenix

One of those pie-in-the-sky threads.

First of all, XB1s (1.2 fp32 TF) is more along what anyone should expect from the SWitch 2. The steam deck doesn't even have PS4 TF. And there is no amount of docking that is going to take a handheld from 1.2TF all the way up to 4TF. Shit just doesn't that way.

A more realistic optimistic expectation would be 1.2TF (XB1s) in handheld mode and 1.8TF (PS4 perf) in docked mode.

Mr Moose

The PS4 is extremely weak by now, I dont think its that hard to believe but lets hope.
Yeah but it's still 3x as powerful as a current Switch, it's the Pro part that is making me doubt it. I would love it to be true, might get some decent AA in their games. Would love to play a great looking Mario Kart.

My educated guess is that on paper it will be both less powerful and more powerful than the PS4 in certain areas, but it will be running on less than 15 watts. It will also be using more modern architecture and DLSS so that the image will be more close to modern consoles. Maybe running at a lower resolution with DLSS and/or slower frame rate.

As long as it can get ports it will be fine. And considering the landscape right now it will. They are still servicing the PS4 and we have the Xbox Series S, as well as lower end PCs.

And mobile. We are getting to that spot where it's not about power so much as accessibility and support.

Onironauta

But technically the current Nintendo Switch has the power similar to a PS4... It can run Doom Eternal, Hellblade and The Witcher 3:pie_thinking:

That's because those games are well optimized and they run at lower settings, resolution and fps, on Switch compared to PS4.
PS4's GPU is roughly x10 more powerful than Switch in handheld mode, and PS4 Pro is roughly x10 docked Switch.
For comparison, PSVita was also more or less 10 times weaker than PS3, but running games on a smaller screen at lower resolution does wonders, so the graphics looked similar-ish.

bender

What time is it?
why are people saying $299? Lol

It’s going to be $399 if we are lucky possibly $449
oaydjA.gif

JordiENP

Seems pretty par for the course being behind a gen or so in specs
not really behind considering the scaling tech and the handheld form factor... also power usage and cooling. the ps4 Pro sounds like a jet when pushing some games and is a stationary console.

Kataploom

Gold Member
PS4 its just a little abit believable.
But PS4 pro? You guys are way too obessessed with this power stuff. To the point of stupidly and blindy believe Nintendo even cares about those aspects in a new console. They don't.
We are reaching Bloodborne port rumors levels of rumors. Just wishfull thinking.
What if they do now? They have these new handheld computers emulating switch games almost every month, even if sales are not the big right now, they could be in the future.

Nintendo don't care about power because they don't think they need it, until there's a reason to give it priority and making emulation more difficult seems quite a good reason to do so.

Onironauta

First of all, XB1s (1.2 fp32 TF) is more along what anyone should expect from the SWitch 2. The steam deck doesn't even have PS4 TF. And there is no amount of docking that is going to take a handheld from 1.2TF all the way up to 4TF. Shit just doesn't that way.

A more realistic optimistic expectation would be 1.2TF (XB1s) in handheld mode and 1.8TF (PS4 perf) in docked mode.
Well, Switch's GPU doubles its clock speed when docked, going from 0.2 TF to 0.4 TF approximately.
A x10 performance in the next console doesn't sound that unreasonable to me, but I agree that it will probably be a bit weaker (IMHO something like 1.5TF handheld, 3TF docked).
Also, Steam Deck runs on AMD, Switch is ARM + Nvidia, comparing apples to oranges is not that useful.

Last edited:
If all their old games will be patched/improved to run at 4k/1440p 60 FPS docked then I'm 100% in. I have a lot of games to play. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT its nintendo lmao. Enjoy hardware worse than your phones.

I think the uptick in performance makes alot of sense.
With the OG switch there was no competition, so Nintendo could release what they wanted to. Now however, there is far more competition in the handheld Market with ROG, Steam, and more coming down the pipeline. It would be a mistake for Nintendo to go under powered with that much competition.

Katajx

Gold Member
Speculation about all these numbers isn’t fun. It is a handheld, but it also feels like setting the bar absurdly low.

There is no way I could get excited for a switch 2 having PS4 “power”. It will be atleast 7 years since the switch launched before we actually get our hands on this.

I love my switch and some of the games, but going from Wii U to switch wasn’t much of a jump if you look at something like Breath of the Wild. Tears of the Kingdom was great, but a sequel needs to look and feel like it wasn’t possible to make on the Switch.

It’s time for a generational leap, and not so much a baby step forward.

Last edited:

ManaByte

It’s time for a generational leap, and not so much a baby step forward.
You will never get that with Nintendo again. People need to accept it and just enjoy the games. The Wii and Switch have sold more than the NES and SNES combined. Iwata’s philosophy of low cost hardware has given Nintendo more success than Yamauchi ever did. They’re not changing.

Buggy Loop

I’m guessing it will be around a Steam Deck

Has to be better

Under Snapdragon XR gen 2 would be incredibly awkward. Qualcomm did propose the chipset to Nintendo, so picking Nvidia over a chipset that will be mass produced, is proven to be cheap and performs in the 2.4TFlop range for a chipset made by nvidia for under Steam deck's 1.4 1.6 TFlop?

I mean.. Nintendo right.. but Nvidia must have some pride also to showcase their tech on console space.

Also the idea that Nvidia would propose Nintendo to scale to 4TF to meet PS4 pro is ridiculous. There's no way they aim for that nowadays, the age of native brute force is over. It could reach PS4 pro quality with the usual dock overclock and DLSS. The architectures have changed so much too between then and now. 2.5~3 Tflops from Nvidia's recent architectures ain't playing fair with AMD's PS4 solutions. PS4 pro with Jaguar CPUs :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
And there is no amount of docking that is going to take a handheld from 1.2TF all the way up to 4TF.
Well - if they had a cooling assembly that can scale from 5W to 30W it could - but I doubt Nintendo would want their handheld to be as heavy or big as those mobile PCs are.
But what could also be interesting is simply making a (proprietary)GPU dock for it - they could monetize all those upgrade obsessed people more easily with one :p

Mr.Phoenix

Well, Switch's GPU doubles its clock speed when docked, going from 0.2 TF to 0.4 TF approximately.
A x10 performance in the next console doesn't sound that unreasonable to me, but I agree that it will probably be a bit weaker (IMHO something like 1.5TF handheld, 3TF docked).
Also, Steam Deck runs on AMD, Switch is ARM + Nvidia, comparing apples to oranges is not that useful.
Arm... X86...

TFs are still TFs.

We will see I guess.

Katajx

Gold Member
You will never get that with Nintendo again. People need to accept it and just enjoy the games. The Wii and Switch have sold more than the NES and SNES combined. Iwata’s philosophy of low cost hardware has given Nintendo more success than Yamauchi ever did. They’re not changing.
From the Wii U to the next hardware? It needs to be different. In two generations I think it’s fair to ask of them to seem like they have moved atleast one.

That’s setting the bar low as is.

Last edited:

sachos

PS4 Pro level performance when docked + DLSS with way better CPU performance would be AMAZING for Nintendo hardware. If true the jump in performance/quality should be huge.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

Kopite7kimi is a trustable source when it comes to Nvidia leaks. I would take this leak honestly seriously.

and if we going to have PS4 level in portable mode, I will say game over to every console in the market.
😂 Of course it won't be game over to every other console in the market...far from it. Nintendo don't even compete with ms or playstation. They are in their own world.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Has to be better

Under Snapdragon XR gen 2 would be incredibly awkward. Qualcomm did propose the chipset to Nintendo, so picking Nvidia over a chipset that will be mass produced, is proven to be cheap and performs in the 2.4TFlop range for a chipset made by nvidia for under Steam deck's 1.4 TFlop?

I mean.. Nintendo right.. but Nvidia must have some pride also to showcase their tech on console space.

Also the idea that Nvidia would propose Nintendo to scale to 4TF to meet PS4 pro is ridiculous. There's no way they aim for that nowadays, the age of native brute force is over. It could reach PS4 pro quality with the usual dock overclock and DLSS. The architectures have changed so much too between then and now. 2.5~3 Tflops from Nvidia's recent architectures ain't playing fair with AMD's PS4 solutions. PS4 pro with Jaguar CPUs :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Deck is 1.6TF, but when comparing handhelds the power consumption and battery life is more important. Deck is consuming 26-28W with ~60-80min battery life to get to its max performance. Switch 2 will probably be running 8-10W.

ManaByte

From the Wii U to the next hardware? It needs to be different. In two generations I think it’s fair to ask of them to seem like they have moved atleast one.

That’s setting the bar low as is.
Nintendo will never join the arms race. Accept it.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Iirc Switch on FP16 is anyway half what Xbone performance in raw GF since it only has FP32 precision, not counting Nvidia flops for that generation are way more efficient than AMD's.

JordiENP

Deck is 1.6TF, but when comparing handhelds the power consumption and battery life is more important. Deck is consuming 26-28W with ~60-80min battery life to get to its max performance. Switch 2 will probably be running 8-10W.
Deck is also utilizing AMD, Nvidia knows how to control power usage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom