• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver Remaster in Development, May Be Announced This Year

Bankai

Deserves a full remake but I'll take what I can get. I'd prefer Blood Omen to get the treatment first, that game is god-tier "blood and viscera frosted the walls" , good times.

I think you are right. In my mind the game is awesome and doesn't need any changes (or QoL improvements), but... in reality it's probably super-necessary.

run running GIF

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Both Blood Omens>The Soul Reavers
definitely not in terms of plot and dialogue, etc., aka. what made the series so good, to begin with.

They are literally in the same series and btw blood omen 2 is just soul reaver 2 with less puzzles.
well, the fighting mechanics and abilities for once are completely different. In terms of gameplay Blood Omen 2 is actually better, but the plot and dialogues are a whole lot worse than in both Soul Reaver games and below the series standards.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Soul Reaver 2 felt incredibly dated mechanically (box puzzles and clunky combat)
Soul Reaver 1 is the king of box puzzles, there are way fewer in Soul Reaver 2. However, Soul Reaver 2 is also way more linear, has a worse progression in general and the combat is dumbed down compared to the first. The combat in the original was also clunky, but more tactical with more depth, because killing vampires required you to use your environment (fire, sharp objects) or your abilities later on. In Soul Reaver 2 you're mostly fighting humans and those can be killed by just attacking them, and it's boring because it lacks depth.

Haggard

Banned
waaaay too old for a simple remaster.
It´s either a remake or it will turn out to be crap...if it`s coming at all.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The game wasn't even finished. This would need a remake that actually wraps things up.
That's partially true. Originally Soul Reaver was planned to have no sequel and there was content cut, however, the sequels are written to adjust for that. If they put the cut content back in it could ruin the canon.

Thanati

Is it fair to say that Soul Reaver is the most impressive PS1 game from a technical standpoint?

It has large, interconnected environments that can be traversed without any loading screens (the game uses similar tricks to hide load times as modern games), as well as a surprising amount of environmental interactivity. You can pick up weapons, vases, torches and other kinds of objects that can be found all over and throw them at enemies. If you throw spears, they stick to walls (and stay there until you pick them up again), you can kill enemies by throwing them into fire, into deep water or against spiked walls etc, and of course there‘s the famous dimension warping ability, which transforms the whole environment in real time. The animations are also pretty good, probably on par with the average PS2 game.

It’s probably one of the few PS1 games that wouldn‘t need to be completely overhauled to be considered a good game by modern standards, since the game‘s mechanics hold up pretty well. All it would really need is modern graphics, improved combat and a modernized control scheme (though the original still plays pretty well compared to most other games from that era).
Agreed. I fired this up a few weeks ago and it still looks stunning! There’s a few tweaks I would make to the mechanics, but otherwise it’s amazing.

This would explain the removal of the game from the Steam storefront. I installed it and was planning to play the series for the first time ever but it seems I was wise to hold off.

ethomaz

Banned
Alright... Everyone here shouting for blood omen, I challenge you to watch this and remove your nostalgia goggles. And not just 30 seconds, really watch it.

This game is not even close to being acceptable mechanically. Could make a good game, but it is beyond just a remaster or remake. It would need a reimagining at the very least.

Soul Reaver for reference:

Fun fact: These games came out less than 3 years apart.

Both are pretty good but Souls Reaver is indeed the better game.

Fun fact... Blood Omen was like the 5th game I played on PC in my entry life (Diablo, Warcraft 2, Star Craft and Age of Empires 2 were the the first games I played on PC).

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver may be getting a remaster, if a new rumor is to be believed. XboxEra co-founder Nick (@Shpeshal_Nick) mentioned the rumor in the latest episode of the XboxEra Podcast, saying that he had an anonymous source tell him there’s a Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver remaster in development, and that it may be announced sometime this year.

This will be a dream came true
I would not start with Soul Reaver.

In order to "understand" the world of Nofshgoth there is Blood Omen which is very important.

Legacy of Kain - and Raziel - are consequences of Blood Omen. They should start with that.

A remaster of a PS1-era game? Surely a remake would be more appropriate after this long.

It's a great game with solid art direction, but has anyone played it recently? lol
I'd be more excited to play a Soul Reaver that can actually look like that iconic CGI intro.

I'm pretty sure they mean remake. As otherwise it would be a waste of time.

Hopefully, this is a portent of things to come, and the entire LoK series will see a revival (and hopefully not into a shitty ass-quality MTX-fest like many of SE's more recent ventures).

You guys are forgetting that Shadow man...a game from the same time period for PS1 and N64 recently came out as a simple remaster. So id say curb your expectations about a full on AAA remake.

bender

What time is it?
Soul Reaver 1 is the king of box puzzles, there are way fewer in Soul Reaver 2. However, Soul Reaver 2 is also way more linear, has a worse progression in general and the combat is dumbed down compared to the first. The combat in the original was also clunky, but more tactical with more depth, because killing vampires required you to use your environment (fire, sharp objects) or your abilities later on. In Soul Reaver 2 you're mostly fighting humans and those can be killed by just attacking them, and it's boring because it lacks depth.

I honestly don't remember a lot about either game beyond Soul Reaver ending on cliffhanger and thinking "wtf" and the feeling that Soul Reaver 2 gave me, which was a really dull game with a really amazing characters, story and voicecast.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
and the feeling that Soul Reaver 2 gave me, which was a really dull game with a really amazing characters, story and voicecast.
Your memory is spot on. It's a game that is definitely worth playing for the lore, characters, etc., but in terms of gameplay, it's not that great.
If you're not into the lore it's not that enjoyable I'd say.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Calling bullshit on this. A remaster wouldn't cut it. It would need a full blown remake.

Top Bottom