• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

CoolS

Not sure. They definitely need something with Frank… ;)

Amazon keeps recommending this Police Forest Station to me which looks pretty familiar. There's this Police Station, too, which is definitely not exactly the station in the game, though I'm sure one inspired the other.

Yeah in an interview, which is somewhere in the OP, they said they are inspired by the Lego City sets and that you can build everything that's made out of Lego in the game for yourself if you have enough Legos.

Speaking of the game, I've been playing it for two hours yesterday (mostly story that is) and I didn't have a single loading screen during that time. The only time I had one was in the end when I went into the station to unlock a few things. It's really just the first impression of the loading times that is really, really bad. It gets so much better later on.

tajd

Banned
Yeah in an interview, which is somewhere in the OP, they said they are inspired by the Lego City sets and that you can build everything that's made out of Lego in the game for yourself if you have enough Legos.

Speaking of the game, I've been playing it for two hours yesterday (mostly story that is) and I didn't have a single loading screen during that time. The only time I had one was in the end when I went into the station to unlock a few things. It's really just the first impression of the loading times that is really, really bad. It gets so much better later on.

loading screen starting the game
loading screen loading the game save file
loading screen if you go back to police station
loading screen for special mission main levels

Change your thief outfit to
Rex Fury. You should have gotten that outfit during the last level and then you have to spend 1 million coins to buy it before you can use it.

Set Rex Fury to your burglar disguise. He can do all the burglar stuff + use orange handles. He's in one of the stud rings during the free fall sequence at the end (right at the beginning of the final sequence when you're almost to the command module.
Thanks guys. I got that and its been bought. Ill try and schlepp through the story missions later today.

CoolS

loading screen starting the game
loading screen loading the game save file
loading screen if you go back to police station
loading screen for special mission main levels

Your point being? My missions yesterday all took place on the world map, so I never encountered any loading. And you almost never HAVE to go to the police station. So the only loading really is at the beginning of the game or when you do special assignments, which doesn't happen enarly as often as some reviews made it sound.

tajd

Banned
Your point being? My missions yesterday all took place on the world map, so I never encountered any loading. And you almost never HAVE to go to the police station. So the only loading really is at the beginning of the game or when you do special assignments, which doesn't happen enarly as often as some reviews made it sound.

i was only pointing out when i get loading time love the game

frank honey the besy "ill wait for you inside"

Akira_83

Banned
I really enjoy this game so far but why does it treat me like im stupid?

EVERY single time i get in a vehicle prompts are popping up telling me how to steer and accelerate. How to combo attacks when in combat, etc etc

its like a tutorial is just stuck on at all times and it looks really dumb and detracts from the game... i hate having a line of text scrolling at the bottom of the screen all the time. I did the missions that have built in tutorials so i know all this stuff.

also any time i try branching off to play around in the world my gamepad keeps beeping reminding me to get to my next mission and telling me where to go. I was on this mission yesterday and you had to climb a building. so the game did this painful intro where it slowly scrolled through the entire layout to make sure i knew exactly where to go, instead of letting me take over and figure it out myself. Not that it would be hard, considering you just following any legos with BLUE on them...

im not looking for Dark Souls difficulty here, but let go of my hand a bit jesus christ

otherwise a good game

CoolS

I really enjoy this game so far but why does it treat me like im stupid?

EVERY single time i get in a vehicle prompts are popping up telling me how to steer and accelerate. How to combo attacks when in combat, etc etc

its like a tutorial is just stuck on at all times and it looks really dumb and detracts from the game... i hate having a line of text scrolling at the bottom of the screen all the time. I did the missions that have built in tutorials so i know all this stuff.

also any time i try branching off to play around in the world my gamepad keeps beeping reminding me to get to my next mission and telling me where to go. I was on this mission yesterday and you had to climb a building. so the game did this painful intro where it slowly scrolled through the entire layout to make sure i knew exactly where to go, instead of letting me take over and figure it out myself. Not that it would be hard, considering you just following any legos with BLUE on them...

im not looking for Dark Souls difficulty here, but let go of my hand a bit jesus christ

otherwise a good game
The reason is that it is a LEGO game. I hope that some day in the future, they will give you the option to turn ob hints, textst etc. in LEGO games.

Akira_83

Banned
The reason is that it is a LEGO game. I hope that some day in the future, they will give you the option to turn ob hints, textst etc. in LEGO games.
I understand that majority of the audience for this is probably kids. But the truth is besides thinking legos are awesome, i got this because i am desperate for some fresh games on my wii u and i love gta style games

they dont need to take it away at all, just have a few options in the settings menu

one to turn off or on all hints and reminders. maybe another setting for disabling all in game movies that show you exactly where to go and just drop you right in... i dont know

this is not making me hate the game, i love the game... just want more freedom to find things out on my own

otherwise a good game

The lego brand's core demographic is age 5-12. Visitors to Lego.com are overwhelmingly under 18, and also visit Cartoon Network, PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Nick Jnr and Hasbro.

The games probably have a broader demographic I reckon, but I bet that's the kind of thing they take into account when they're building a lego game.

If I were to make a wishlist for a sequel (or similar game in the lego franchise), I would have:

• Some more Frank Honey, I don't want to play as him, I just want him there - being dumb
  • Options for Hints on/off, and SatNav on/off
  • Faster top driving speed
  • More unforgiving police in police chases
  • Ability to buy costumes, cars and red bricks directly from the pause menu
  • Improved loading or streaming
  • Planes
  • Ability to fly higher than any building
  • Introduce the weapons into combat (paint/laser gun, chicken, grapple hook, etc)
  • An ending as epic as this game's ending

A game notes thing might be a good idea too. There are times when I've seen something I'm not able to get to -- an astronaut-pad inside a building for example, and I want to remember it for later, but have no way of noting it down... let us mark the map!

Akira_83

Banned
The lego brand's core demographic is age 5-12. Visitors to Lego.com are overwhelmingly under 18, and also visit Cartoon Network, PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Nick Jnr and Hasbro.

The games probably have a broader demographic I reckon, but I bet that's the kind of thing they take into account when they're building a lego game.

If I were to make a wishlist for a sequel (or similar game in the lego franchise), I would have:

• Some more Frank Honey, I don't want to play as him, I just want him there - being dumb
  • Options for Hints on/off, and SatNav on/off
  • Faster top driving speed
  • More unforgiving police in police chases
  • Ability to buy costumes, cars and red bricks directly from the pause menu
  • Improved loading or streaming
  • Planes
  • Ability to fly higher than any building
  • Introduce the weapons into combat (paint/laser gun, chicken, grapple hook, etc)
  • An ending as epic as this game's ending

A game notes thing might be a good idea too. There are times when I've seen something I'm not able to get to -- an astronaut-pad inside a building for example, and I want to remember it for later, but have no way of noting it down... let us mark the map!

wait.. those planes ive seen in the airport are not usable? not any? hell id even take a joke one like the Dodo from GTA 3 for a fly... oh man i thought i was going to be able to fly over the city and explore at some point

:-(

CoolS

wait.. those planes ive seen in the airport are not usable? not any? hell id even take a joke one like the Dodo from GTA 3 for a fly... oh man i thought i was going to be able to fly over the city and explore at some point

:-(

There are helicopters, just no planes :)

I'd like a vehicle building editor with parts that you can collect and unlock. It would be you "standard car" that you can call to help you K.I.T.T.-style ;]

SmokyDave

What's the deal with 'custom' characters / disguises? I see the option in each category but I've never come across anywhere to create anything.

What's the deal with 'custom' characters / disguises? I see the option in each category but I've never come across anywhere to create anything.

in the police office there is a door to the left of allie's counter. It's in there where you can mix and match the figures.

zigg

Yup,
boats and helicopters, and a rocket pack!
-- I enjoyed all of that, would have been cool to jet off a runway though -- I suppose landing one or ditching on to a crash mat from a plane might have been a bit sketchy
Did you know that if you fly close enough to a car or boat, you can jump from the helicopter to that vehicle? Dunno what happens to the helicopter afterward though…

I tried to use that trick to get onto Lady Liberty Island initially, using the boat parked at the dock, but the game caught me and very slowly pushed my boat away from the island :lol

Room to the left of Ellie's desk.

CoolS

Just got into the second gang and met
Johnny Spoilers, who tells you about a part later in the game and "spoils" you :lol.
Man the humor in this is awesome.

CoolS

I've only just begun to explore and discovered the metro station in Auburn. This game. So many details.

Yeah, the density of the world really is insane. I just unlocked boats and drove through an tunnel which was full of stuff I never knew about. There's just so much to do in this game, it really is insane and packed with content to the top. Just looking at the map really doesn't do it justice.

choodi

Banned
Started this today. Really freakin' loving it!

The script is great, Honey is ridiculous and Chase just nails the 70s/80s cop cliches so well.

Unfortunately, my gamepad is low on battery, so I am just waiting for it to charge before heading back in.

Started this today. Really freakin' loving it!

The script is great, Honey is ridiculous and Chase just nails the 70s/80s cop cliches so well.

Unfortunately, my gamepad is low on battery, so I am just waiting for it to charge before heading back in.

Need to get that Nyko Gamepad PowerPak!... whenever the damn thing ever becomes available again.

I tried to use that trick to get onto Lady Liberty Island initially, using the boat parked at the dock, but the game caught me and very slowly pushed my boat away from the island :lol
How can you get there? It's so depressing :( I finished the story though.

This is the only place that I can think to ask this - what is the likelihood of a price drop on this anytime soon. I've heard that Nintendo published games don't drop very fast...

I'm eager to play this. Maybe I should just bite the bullet. I'm guessing that there's enough content to justify the 50 bucks.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This is the only place that I can think to ask this - what is the likelihood of a price drop on this anytime soon. I've heard that Nintendo published games don't drop very fast...

I'm eager to play this. Maybe I should just bite the bullet. I'm guessing that there's enough content to justify the 50 bucks.

It's worth the $50. IT seems to be selling quite well, so I can see it going the usual Nintendo route and being $50, 10 years from now.

zigg

I think you need the
Rex Fury disguise to destroy a statue of him which open a warp pipe to get to the island. Not sure though because I haven't finished the story yet.
Close: you do indeed need that, which you'll have post-story, but you're actually looking for
an orange-handled box
, which can be found in
a round enclosed area in Downtown
—a spot which I believe you've already seen when completing the story.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see a random retailer drop this to $40 for a single week promotion or something by June, but I'm just a speculating nobody. Haven't played the game yet, but seems worth the $50 to me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Do you have to do something to turn on red bricks once you find them besides going to the station and unlocking them? My unlimited dynamite and 10x studs bricks don't seeme to be working and I've gone to the station kiosk and unlocked them.

HeySeuss

Do you have to do something to turn on red bricks once you find them besides going to the station and unlocking them? My unlimited dynamite and 10x studs bricks don't seeme to be working and I've gone to the station kiosk and unlocked them.

In the pause menu under extras I think, has a list that you need to toggle on/off each boot up.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
What HeySeuss said. Also, the multipliers stack so you can have 2x * 4x * 6x * 8x * 10x for a total of 3840x multiplier.

jet1911

Thanks. But now it's listed, but it's red, and won't let me turn it on. Why are some of the extras listed yet, unable to be turned on?

I had the same question the other day. You need to go im the basement of the police station, open the safe where you can buy new vehicules and take the key card to use the lift in the middle of the basement.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I had the same question the other day. You need to go im the basement of the police station, open the safe where you can buy new vehicules and take the key card to use the lift in the middle of the basement.

Already did that. Think I found the problem. You apparently can't turn on some of them inside the police station. I went outside and now I can click it on.

What HeySeuss said. Also, the multipliers stack so you can have 2x * 4x * 6x * 8x * 10x for a total of 3840x multiplier.

Oh man, I just blew all my studs on unlocks and then did this. Got like 3 million studs minute after walking outside.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Thanks. But now it's listed, but it's red, and won't let me turn it on. Why are some of the extras listed yet, unable to be turned on?
I know it won't let you use the unlimited dynamite in missions. I don't think any of the other red bricks have limitations.

Kai

So I'm on Chapter 6 now - and I have a few questions:

I keep getting "new people" rewards finding them around town, like the journalist, etc. How do I use them?

Also - I have stolen a few cars and then it says I've "unlocked" them after successfully finishing the police chase. How do I use/choose them? Everything I go to the drop points - I can't select any of these cars.

CoolS

So I'm on Chapter 6 now - and I have a few questions:

I keep getting "new people" rewards finding them around town, like the journalist, etc. How do I use them?

Also - I have stolen a few cars and then it says I've "unlocked" them after successfully finishing the police chase. How do I use/choose them? Everything I go to the drop points - I can't select any of these cars.

Go to the basement of the police station. You can buy the unlocked disguises at ellies desk on the left and the new vehicles on the desk on the right.

I think you need the
Rex Fury disguise to destroy a statue of him which open a warp pipe to get to the island. Not sure though because I haven't finished the story yet.
Close: you do indeed need that, which you'll have post-story, but you're actually looking for
an orange-handled box
, which can be found in
a round enclosed area in Downtown
—a spot which I believe you've already seen when completing the story.
Thx you both. Got it and collected all stuff there :)

That's so sick. I switched back to x1 after reaching > 10 million. Never gonna need that lol.

Top Bottom