• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

zigg

I know it won't let you use the unlimited dynamite in missions. I don't think any of the other red bricks have limitations.
Instant Vehicles does too.

Incidentally, I'm re-annoyed at the difficulty of locating boats in this game. There's a disguise token under a bridge on the wrong side of a shark line. Can't swim there… I wonder if there was another trick.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That's so sick. I switched back to x1 after reaching > 10 million. Never gonna need that lol.
You might need a bit more if you haven't bought the available gold bricks in the police station already.

Instant Vehicles does too.

Incidentally, I'm re-annoyed at the difficulty of locating boats in this game. There's a disguise token under a bridge on the wrong side of a shark line. Can't swim there… I wonder if there was another trick.
I remember that one. I just got back onto the bridge and then came down on the other side of the shark line. I wish we could've collected boats and picked them with instant vehicles.

zigg

I remember that one. I just got back onto the bridge and then came down on the other side of the shark line. I wish we could've collected boats and picked them with instant vehicles.
Yeah, I arrived with a boat and then discovered afterward that the shark line was a double. Annoying. And seconded on the boat-summoning.

thomaser

I asked previously, but didn't get an answer, so I'm trying again:

I caught the alien in Bright Lights Square, but the notification didn't appear. The menu on the Gamepad still says that I have found 0/1 aliens in that area. I should have turned off the game, but saved before realizing what I should have done...

Any way to make the alien appear again, so I can cross out that box? Or am I screwed and forever unable to get 100%? Also, has anybody else experienced something like this?

If someone from the developer reads this, I used the
space suit and stunned the alien with the gun
before catching it. Maybe that triggered a bug?

I asked previously, but didn't get an answer, so I'm trying again:

I caught the alien in Bright Lights Square, but the notification didn't appear. The menu on the Gamepad still says that I have found 0/1 aliens in that area. I should have turned off the game, but saved before realizing what I should have done...

Any way to make the alien appear again, so I can cross out that box? Or am I screwed and forever unable to get 100%? Also, has anybody else experienced something like this?

If someone from the developer reads this, I used the
space suit and stunned the alien with the gun
before catching it. Maybe that triggered a bug?
Did you go back to the location that spawned the alien initially? If the space box is still open (meaning the game saved you capturing the alien but failed to recognize it) then you might be screwed but maybe the box reset and will allow you to do it again.

thomaser

Did you go back to the location that spawned the alien initially? If the space box is still open (meaning the game saved you capturing the alien but failed to recognize it) then you might be screwed but maybe the box reset and will allow you to do it again.

I haven't actually gone back there yet. Had to go on a week-long business trip the day after it happened, and now that I'm home again I don't even remember how to get to that space box... the path to it was very long-winded, and I don't remember where it started :) I'll try to check it tomorrow.

Coolwhip

Banned
The game is pretty entertaining mainly because of the cutscenes. I roll my eyes every time combat is involved sadly. 1 button floaty combat isnt very fun. The driving controls leave much to be desired too, the boost gives a cool visual effect and the city looks great, but its almost impossible to properly drive with a lot of vehicles and not very fun. The costume switching is a bit tedious as it doesnt add much besides scrolling through your costumes all the time.

choodi

Banned
I'm really loving the game so far. So much charm and fun. Probably my favourite Lego video game ever.

However, I can't help but get the feeling that they are really missing a trick with these Lego games by not allowing more interaction with the building process.

I would love them to make a game where, instead of collecting studs and identical bits of Lego, I had to collect a variety of pieces of real Lego from around the world, along with plans from actual real world Lego sets.

Then when it came time to solve a puzzle, it would be up to me to choose the set from my collection and then build it with the pieces I have collected. It would open up the puzzles to some great problem solving possibilities. Kinda like Scribblenauts, but not as random.

Instead, I just break random shit and hold a button to build a predetermined object. Hardly taxing on my brain.

Apart from the Mario hat you can unlock I am surprised there aren't more Nintendo disguises in general. Mario, Luigi, Link, Samus etc. Maybe a full-blown Nintendo LEGO game is next for the partnership...

I don't know if I want that. I love all of the little NIntendo nods in Lego City, but I don't think I'd enjoy a Lego Mario game all that much.

Pitmonkey

Not the best looking game, but it does have it's pretty moments.

7vkrC1b.jpg

h3u2Dc8.jpg

oh, and I love Nintendo easter eggs.

ccOcQHH.jpg

NateDrake

I blocked traffic by a train track just for a minute when the train came around and destroyed the car on the track. Was so unexpected that it was funny.

zigg

I blocked traffic by a train track just for a minute when the train came around and destroyed the car on the track. Was so unexpected that it was funny.
Yeah man, those trains are deadly. There's a place where you can, post-game, get one of those railroad handcars. So I'm pumping madly across a bridge and look at my map… train's comin'. The handcar did not survive. :lol

On a less destructive note, my son was walking around and stopped in the street to talk to us for a minute. A car pulls up, stops, and a minute later starts laying on its horn at him. Love little details like this.

I don't know if I want that. I love all of the little NIntendo nods in Lego City, but I don't think I'd enjoy a Lego Mario game all that much.

Some kind of Nintendo City type thing might be cool though -- a roster like Mario Kart's with different abilities and stuff...

but really, I think part of the problem with Nintendo fans is that they find such things too appealing. Third parties probably see us asking for Nintendofied things and it just reinforces what they believe about only strongly supporting first party stuff... or things that have Mario in.

Lego City is damn good. If travellers tales continue to make em this good, I'll buy whatever they make - Nintendo themed or not, nods to games or not. Just continue making fun / funny games please Tt!

I wish I had my own capture kit btw... there've been a few times when I've wanted to take screens. I've used the in-game camera to take some nice pictures actually...

I finally finished this the other night. Enjoyed it quite a lot, though I think I'm going to put it to rest for a few days/weeks before I jump back in. I'll prep some customised costumes (gorilla head on everyone) and see how much high I can get my completion percentage before I get tired of the game.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
finally started this and man I could not stop playing. kept thinking "what am I collecting those tons of blocks for?" then I stumbled on the first Super Build. Brilliant!

did the first chapter then lost myself in the farm. The curse has begun. i will never finish this

Did a test with the console on 1080p and 720p.

My eyes tell me that it runs better with the console on 720p.

Have you noticed any differences?

Rubixcuba

Banned
Just finished game !
As other have said, oh my wow at the ending, one of the best I've seen in a while.
Have around 40% at completion, time to start the long crawl towards 100%!
Also really hope there is some sort of sequel and that the 3DS prequel is just as good.

Mn, my 5 year old son loves Lego, and this seems like a great game. Is it safe to play with a 5 year old?
Thinking about buying it to play together and have some fun.

zigg

Mn, my 5 year old son loves Lego, and this seems like a great game. Is it safe to play with a 5 year old?
Yeah, pretty much (father of a 6-year-old boy here.) The only real issue is the fact that Chase does a lot more robbing than policing, operating under the notion that it gets him in good with the gang he's trying to bust. Some of the jokes are a little crude too, but it's definitely elementary-school crude.

Keep in mind it's not multiplayer, though, unlike the other LEGO games.

thomaser

Yay! I finally found the space box again, and it spawned the alien one more time. When I caught it this time, it registered. 100% is still within reach :)

Yeah, pretty much (father of a 6-year-old boy here.) The only real issue is the fact that Chase does a lot more robbing than policing, operating under the notion that it gets him in good with the gang he's trying to bust. Some of the jokes are a little crude too, but it's definitely elementary-school crude.

Keep in mind it's not multiplayer, though, unlike the other LEGO games.

Okay, cool. Thanx!

I think one small touch that I really loved in the game is the animated portraits in the upper left. They used to be static images in past games, and I just happen to notice one of them moving slightly while playing LCU.

SmokyDave

Where did you find it?

There's a toy shop in the uptown district with two rockets over the front door. If you have a green colour gun equipped you can shoot the red circles at the base of the rockets and they turn into moving platforms. It was up there on the left (or right) somewhere.

So basically,
shoot the rockets
and then explore the area that opens up. The
toy shop
also has
three primary coloured cubes
over the doorway, that might help you find it.

CoolS

There's a toy shop in the uptown district with two rockets over the front door. If you have a green colour gun equipped you can shoot the red circles at the base of the rockets and they turn into moving platforms. It was up there on the left (or right) somewhere.

So basically,
shoot the rockets
toy shop
also has
And if you are looking for the green color for the gun, there's a hangar at the airport which has every color.

zigg

So basically,
shoot the rockets
toy shop
also has
How'd I miss that? I know what you're talking about, I was there, I just didn't… figure it out. I suppose I got distracted, which never happens in this game ever.

SmokyDave

And if you are looking for the green color for the gun, there's a hangar at the airport which has every color.

Conveniently, there's a green 'filling station' at the base of the building in question.

I didn't find it until after I'd trekked to the airport and back though!

This game has no fucking right being this good. It's a god damned Lego game.

Just finished Lego City Undercover and I think everyone is underestimating this game. Sucha great story and a lot to do in a fun open world environment. It sits right under Bioshock Infinite for GOTY right now.

Apenheul

When I started playing this game two weeks ago I only saw it's (mostly technical) problems, but after completing a chapter or eight I must say that this game is really fun to play. The city is also quite a bit larger than I initially thought and there's a lot to do besides the missions.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm completely lost. I just keep wandering around, finding secrets, hunting for bricks, doing the occasional story mission....played about 15 hours and I'm at 6,5%. It's just a damned drug. Definitely the best lego game I played and one of the best open worlds, if not the best

my WiiU may have been collecting dust lately, but it sure as hell going on full steam with this game

CoolS

Been playing this a LOT the last few days and I love it. Now that I'm only missing one costume, exploring is even more fun and satisfying. There's just so much to do, so many buildings to climb.

And I'm getting closer to Rex!

Cosmozone

Man, those choosing to play the game only for the story should really think twice about it. The story covers only a small part of all interesting buildings in the city. Auburn Bay Bridge alone is a whole region with that ~20 standard tasks you can do in each one. Conquering and gang hunting are the best. Must play a little slower, don't want it to end that soon.

Edit: Oh, sorry, you can't do AS much at the bridge but still.

Top Bottom