• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Letter from Lennon to McCartney surfaces, and it's not pleasant at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3067710/j...paul-mccartney-surfaces-and-its-not-pleasant/

All of those decades-old stories about in-fighting among legendary rockers The Beatles appear to have been validated, after a letter between bandmates John Lennon and Paul McCartney surfaced at a Boston auction.

Excerpts

“Do you really think most of today’s art came about because of the Beatles? — I don’t believe you’re that insane — Paul — do you believe that? When you stop believing it you might wake up! Didn’t we always say we were part of the movement — not all of it? — Of course, we changed the world — but try and follow it through — GET OFF YOUR GOLD DISC AND FLY!” wrote Lennon.

“Finally, about not telling anyone that I left the Beatles — PAUL and Klein both spent the day persuading me it was better not to say anything—asking me not to say anything because it would ‘hurt the Beatles’ — and ‘let’s just let it petre [sic] out’ —remember? So get that into your petty little perversion of a mind, Mrs. McCartney—the c**ts asked me to keep quiet about it. Of course, the money angle is important—to all of us—especially after all the petty s**t that came from your insane family/in laws—and GOD HELP YOU OUT, PAUL…”

The savagery.

WedgeX

Banned
Lennon typed in all caps back in the typewriter days?

I can only imagine what would have occurred had he gotten to tweet.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm sure in context they made sense but those two quotes read like a Friday 3am GAF thread made by someone whose just come back from a night out

I've always disliked Paul, and this further cements that. He was always in it for the fame and the money, not for making art. When both John and George did solo works, it was clear that the real songwriting talent was in those two.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Lennon also claims that he and Ono came up with more ideas that “generated intelligent interest” than he did during the entire Beatles run
Jennifer Lawrence ok dot gif

This letter and the fights surrounding it probably led to Paul putting a picture of a beetle fucking another beetle on the back cover of the album Ram and taking some digs in song lyrics, so Lennon responded back with 'How Do You Sleep' and recreating the album cover of Ram with a pig instead of a ram.

Bronx-Man

Banned
“Do you really think most of today’s art came about because of the Beatles? — I don’t believe you’re that insane — Paul — do you believe that? When you stop believing it you might wake up! Didn’t we always say we were part of the movement — not all of it? — Of course, we changed the world — but try and follow it through — GET OFF YOUR GOLD DISC AND FLY!”
Keep in mind, this is coming from the same dude that said "We're bigger than Jesus".

Keep in mind, this is coming from the same dude that said "We're bigger than Jesus".

Lol. Basically this.

Whatever John had to say about Paul, pretty clear he went off the deep end and became impossible to work with.

Like there's a difference between Art and allowing your Girlfriend to come into the recording studio and masterbate under the piano while screaming your name. And then getting pissed off at your friends for being completely uncomfortable with the situation

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; I'm right and I'll be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first—rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

But yeah, Lennon was a hypocritical shit bag.

OnPoint

Like there's a difference between Art and allowing your Girlfriend to come into the recording studio and masterbate under the piano while screaming your name. And then getting pissed off at your friends for being completely uncomfortable with the situation
Um... that's kinda awesome.

BiggNife

I've always disliked Paul, and this further cements that. He was always in it for the fame and the money, not for making art. When both John and George did solo works, it was clear that the real songwriting talent was in those two.

Lennon was an insufferable cunt, nothing new

I've always gotten the impression that both Lennon and McCartney (while both incredibly talented in their own ways) were conceited egomaniacs.

The only Beatle who was an all around decent guy was George and no one remembers him because he wasn't nearly as flashy as the other three. It's a shame.

Holy shit is this a thing that actually happened

bjork

Always more of a Beets man myself.

tumblr_mkuk4tFKvw1ro8ysbo1_r1_500.gif

Were these designs based on the real dudes?

While Lennon wasn't exactly a saint, I can forgive the tone of this letter seeing as it was written on the heels of an ugly breakup, with the need to defend his own lover, yet still ended it with a gesture of love towards both Paul & Linda.

Context is everything, people. And no one is perfect.

Jennifer Lawrence ok dot gif

This letter and the fights surrounding it probably led to Paul putting a picture of a beetle fucking another beetle on the back cover of the album Ram and taking some digs in song lyrics, so Lennon responded back with 'How Do You Sleep' and recreating the album cover of Ram with a pig instead of a ram.
Tupac vs Biggie is a pale imitation of this raging inferno

Um... that's kinda awesome.

In theory, sure.

But when literally crazy behavior like his continues over long periods of time and you have a schedule and recording deadlines and jobs to do and John is dicking around with experimental nonsense and shoving unlistenable metta garbage on the albums, and having to fight with him every step of the way to make sure the next albums first 8 tracks aren't each 5 minute recordings of the sound of a bowling ball being rolled around in a bath tub, you can understand why all the other guys just got so fed up with him. (Not an actual example, but not too far from what was going on)

While Lennon wasn't exactly a saint, I can forgive the tone of this letter seeing as it was written on the heels of an ugly breakup, with the need to defend his own lover, yet still ended it with a gesture of love towards both Paul & Linda.

Context is everything, people. And no one is perfect.

This is from Vice, so take it as you will:

You don't have to 'Imagine' John Lennon beat his wife and children.

I agree that no one is perfect, and I agree that context is everything, but Lennon was a prick. An artist, but a prick.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
In theory, sure.

But when literally crazy behavior like his continues over long periods of time and you have a schedule and recording deadlines and jobs to do and John is dicking around with experimental nonsense and shoving unlistenable metta garbage on the albums, and having to fight with him every step of the way to make sure the next albums first 8 tracks aren't each 5 minute recordings of the sound of a bowling ball being rolled around in a bath tub, you can understand why all the other guys just got so fed up with him. (Not an actual example, but not too far from what was going on)

I... I would genuinely listen to that.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; I'm right and I'll be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first—rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

But yeah, Lennon was a hypocritical shit bag.

"Imagine no possessions," says man with custom-built climate controlled room in his apartment solely for storing his fur coats.

Paul McCartney wrote probably the worst song ever - Temporary Secretary

I'm siding with Lennon on this one

WHAT?! You mean best song ever, right?!

McCartney has never, in his career, put out anything anywhere near as bad as "The Wedding Album". Lennon was a great songwriter when he wanted to be, but McCartney was able to do it without even trying.

Mawnster

Holy shit, did this actually happen? rofl.

And, meh. I never liked Paul to be completely honest. I did like John in the earliest years of The Beatles. Then Yoko Ono happened and John turned into an insufferable turbo twat, just like Paul.

The only good thing these two ever did, was music. So at least, there's that.

Bronx-Man

Banned
In theory, sure.

.......John Lennon was Death Grips before Death Grips.

phanphare

Banned

cultural differences. that statement didn't even move the needle in britain however the US had a fucking meltdown over it, leading many people to burn their albums and what not.

also fuck Paul, if we are to believe that he didn't die. dude got his karma back in spades thanks to Michael Jackson.

In theory, sure.

But they weren't just fed up with Lennon, they were all fed up with Paul by the end. He wanted to establish his in-laws as managers, the others felt he wanted preferential treatment, Paul sued them. George said just as many bitter things about Paul as Lennon ("I’d join a band with John Lennon any day, but I couldn’t join a band again with Paul McCartney", "Paul ruined me as a guitar player").

Their diverging musical directions and tastes were absolutely part of the breakup, and they were all angry at one another for various reasons, but in terms of general relationships and friendships, Paul was more alienating than anyone else. George, Ringo and Lennon collaborated quite a bit after the breakup (George was lead guitarist for most of the Imagine album, and Ringo on drums for Plastic Ono Band for example).

Well that's a misleading headline. This letter is mostly addressing Linda McCartney (apparently in response to a letter she wrote). He's not near as harsh when referencing Paul.

FyreWulff

Well that's a misleading headline. This letter is mostly addressing Linda McCartney (apparently in response to a letter she wrote). He's not near as harsh when referencing Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9GMFxvWiE

"You live with straights who tell you "you was king"
Jump when your mamma tell you anything
The only thing you done was yesterday
And since you've gone it's just another day"

"The sound you make is muzak to my ears
You must have learned something all those years"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9GMFxvWiE

"You live with straights who tell you "you was king"
Jump when your mamma tell you anything
The only thing you done was yesterday
And since you've gone it's just another day"

"The sound you make is muzak to my ears
You must have learned something all those years"

I'm well aware they had a bitter falling out and shit talked each other. I'm just saying as far as this letter goes he's mostly talking to Linda.

Jag

"How Do You Sleep?" is actually worse than the letter, this isn't really a secret lol

Pretty much this. If you can get a version of the movie Let It Be, you can seen the tension right up to then. It's why McCartney said he would never authorize a remaster or release of it because it was taken at a time when there was such tremendous discord within the group.

Hell, Harrison quit because of Paul and John being such assholes in the end. They supposedly talked about bringing Clapton to replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom