• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

looks like sony will stop making ps4 games by 2025

samoilaaa

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/05/looks-like-sony-will-stop-making-ps4-games-by-2025
"The PS4 has been so successful for Sony that it's been keeping the console going for longer than many expected. PS5 has been doing well, but it's clear that a vast majority of PlayStation's user base is still on the older hardware, and so the platform holder has been continuing to cater for those yet to make the jump. However, at some point, support will need to stop, and it appears as though the cut-off will be 2025 at the latest"

Nydius

As far as I know, Ragnarok is the last Sony Studios title that's going to be cross-gen, which the article mentions. The only exception to this that I can think of will be MLB The Show, which is always the final cross-gen hold out. So it seems to me that Sony will be effectively done making PS4 games at the end of this year; Third party publishers continuing to push cross-gen is out of Sony's control.

Edit: Guess I should have clicked the refresh comments button before posting what everyone else already said... lol

Last edited:

Belthazar

2025 for Sony, but I can see third parties and especially indies going for longer... Especially as they'll make a switch version anyway.

Xtib81

Is that supposed to be good news? It's in 3 fucking years and a whole five years of cross gen games. I'd expect cross gen games to be dropped by the end of 2023.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You can go look at the XboxEra forum.
I Dont Think So No Way GIF by FTX_Official

Nothing too useful here since

1- they didn’t include info for the years in between now and 2025

2 - MLB The Show was on PS3 until 2017

The question is will there be any cross gen games in 2023 besides MLB? We don’t know yet.

I'm 100% willing to be anything aside MLB and maybe a couple of the live-service games will be PS5-only going forward. Teams like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Insomniac etc. aren't going to want to be hamstrung by PS4 that much longer.

The only other way I see cross-gen for PS4 lasting that long for anything outside MLB and a few live-service games, is if Sony take Microsoft's approach WRT cloud streaming on PS4. That way those on PS4 can still play the new releases just not natively. Otherwise, I don't see extended cross-gen going over well internally, when even more 3P devs/pubs are readying to abandon cross-gen by next year.

You can go look at the XboxEra forum.
There staged a whole hysteria about it.
What are Sony hypocrites, as well as their fans.
Actually, it's often fun there, because most of the time these clowns are talking about Ps5 instead of their console.

Considering some of the PlayStation opinions I've seen on that podcast (especially the one they did when talking about the Starfield/RedFall delays), I'm not surprised if the forums dwell in that type of PS hysteria TBH.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I'm 100% willing to be anything aside MLB and maybe a couple of the live-service games will be PS5-only going forward. Teams like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Insomniac etc. aren't going to want to be hamstrung by PS4 that much longer.

The only other way I see cross-gen for PS4 lasting that long for anything outside MLB and a few live-service games, is if Sony take Microsoft's approach WRT cloud streaming on PS4. That way those on PS4 can still play the new releases just not natively. Otherwise, I don't see extended cross-gen going over well internally, when even more 3P devs/pubs are readying to abandon cross-gen by next year.
Yeah I think the TLOU multiplayer game will probably be cross gen, but not much else after that besides MLB.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is that supposed to good good news? It's in 3 fucking years and a whole five years of cross gen games. I'd expect cross gen games to be dropped by the end of 2023.
Yep. Bizarre that there isnt a massive backlash to this. I can understand releasing sports titles or third parties supporting shitty sholveware 5 years into the gen, but first party games should not be supported after 2020. It's the first party's only responsibility to offer day one next gen only content because we all know third parties would never risk releasing games on a smaller userbase. Sony had a great start with Demon Souls, Astrobot, Returnal and Ratchet but to see them revert back to cross gen games for the next three years is bizarre.

Have they even confirmed that they will have a next gen only release this year? So far its been HFW, GT7 with GOW and TLOU Factions set for release later this year. All PS4 games.

samoilaaa

Yeah, what are the details beyond that headline... I'll wait.

Oh, what's that? There are absolutely zero. Ah, gotcha.

:messenger_weary::messenger_ok:
thats the only thing that the guy from sony said , its not like i put in the title " All sony 1st party games will be cross gen until 2025 "
that would be click bait , see the difference ?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
thats the only thing that the guy from sony said , its not like i put in the title " All sony 1st party games will be cross gen until 2025 "
that would be click bait , see the difference ?
Thus, it's a click-bait article, getting people to click on it for more information, only to find NONE. Hence people in comments sections tell everyone (saved you the click).

The second one would be fake news.

Last edited:
after ragnarok sony are done with cross gen. both spider-man 2 and wolverine have been confirmed as PS5 only games by insomniac. i assume it will be the same for other titles aswell.

wvnative

You people don't understand reading comprehension.

God of War Ragnorak will be Sony's last PS4 game. They will support the console till 2025 as in continue to manufacture it.

samoilaaa

Thus, it's a click-bait article, getting people to click on it for more information, only to find NONE. Hence people in comments sections tell everyone (saved you the click).

Clickbait is a text or a thumbnail link that is designed to attract attention and to entice users to follow that link and read, view, or listen to the linked piece of online content, being typically deceptive, sensationalized, or otherwise misleading
Click-bait headlines add an element of dishonesty, using enticements that do not accurately reflect the content being delivered
in what way was the headline misleading or didnt reflect the content of the article ?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Clickbait is a text or a thumbnail link that is designed to attract attention and to entice users to follow that link and read, view, or listen to the linked piece of online content, being typically deceptive, sensationalized, or otherwise misleading
Click-bait headlines add an element of dishonesty, using enticements that do not accurately reflect the content being delivered
in what way was the headline misleading or didnt reflect the content of the article ?
Dog Reaction GIF

Punished Miku

Gold Member

This was mentioned in their recent report. It's the same source as 4 other threads on here.

I don't think anyone is claiming to know what their full release schedule is going to be through 2025. But they're telling investors that they're planning multi-generation titles until 2025 when they get phased out.

It's the same source that said 20 PSVR2 launch games, even though we don't know what the games are. Same source that said they're doing TV shows. Same source that said they're doing multiple live service games prior to the end of next year. Same graph used to make a thread saying they're focusing on mobile.

w3TuYzt.jpeg

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
thx for the explanation , this kind of behaviour tells me everything i need to know about a person
Bro, it's throwaway bait, waste of an article that gives zero context, nuance, or information.

Hence why we are arguing what is click-bait over the lack of anything substantiated. You posting a waste of an article as concern™ bait, can also be said everything one needs to know about a person.

No need to get personal over a disagreement in how they shape clicky articles in current year.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This was mentioned in their recent report. It's the same source as 4 other threads on here.

I don't think anyone is claiming to know what their full release schedule is going to be through 2025. But they're telling investors that they're planning multi-generation titles until 2025 when they get phased out.

It's the same source that said 20 PSVR2 launch games, even though we don't know what the games are. Same source that said they're doing TV shows. Same source that said they're doing multiple live service games prior to the end of next year. Same graph used to make a thread saying they're focusing on mobile.

w3TuYzt.jpeg

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Right, and again...there's no mention of 2023 and 2024.

We could try to base the graph on what happened in 2020 and 2021, and still I dont think we have enough info for PC and mobile gaming between that time, based on the graph.....

MLB has always been a cross gen game. LBP 3 was, Sack Boy is.

🤷‍♂️

But with their foray into GaaS, Live Service games..PS4 games in 2023 and 2024 is still a possibility.

Hell, when the ABK deal goes thru...CoD will still have a cross gen game so...

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

w3TuYzt.jpeg

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I know where it was mentioned. The article is throwaway without any context, nuance, key details, etc..

Ofc it will be support, MLB The Show, select GaaS games too probably. As they have every gen, really.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I know where it was mentioned. The article is throwaway without any context, nuance, key details, etc..

Ofc it will be support, MLB The Show, select GaaS games too probably. As they have every gen, really.
I mean, that's certainly possible. But the whole model of GAAS suggests to me that probably all those games are going to be cross-gen. If your model is about player numbers and continued monetization it makes sense to include PS4, and PC and mobile and anything you can. And that's a large part of their upcoming focus.

We'll get more details in the coming years.

yamaci17

not surprising, console power jump is not that crazy

ps4 had had 16 times memory (8 gb vs total 512 mb)
9 times the bandwidth
nearly 8 times the theoritical GPU compute power (most of that power went from pushing 640-720p/30 FPS to 1080p/30 FPS with nextgen graphics)

now we have ps5 which has

2 times the memory,
6 times the GPU compute power (most of this power currently goes to push 1600-2160P 60 FPS on games that targeted 1080p/30 FPS. in other terms, if ps5 is going to have a similar "graphical" jump we saw from ps3 to ps4, it would have to target mostly 1440p/30 FPS, considering the relative example between ps3 and ps4)
2.54 times the bandwidth

in other terms, games are more scalable in favor of ps4, then they were for ps3

extra answers for potential arguments

- it has less memory

well series s also has 10 gb memory, and it is proven that games can scale to that one, so very well, most games can scale okay into the ps4 since it targets 1080p with oldgen textures

- it has an absymal CPU

to begin with, ps4 has 1.6 ghz jaguar cpu, yes. it is a horrible CPU. on theory, ps5 cpu is 4 times faster in single thread rating. 2 times of power budget goes directly to make the games boost to 60 fps instead of 30 fps. other 2 times of power can easily be scaled down with adjusted lods, draw distances and such.

- for the SSD argument

i can say this one would provide a solid argument

Last edited:
Top Bottom