• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro will be a glimpse into the future of gaming hardware much like PS4 Pro was

Topher

Gold Member
DIsapointed when its released and it turns out Series X is the still the most powerfull alpha console out there and will only be beaten by the next Xbo dream machine 💪💪.
The Office I Give Up GIF

Goodbye thread
Will Ferrell Goodbye GIF by filmeditor

I don’t recall heavy emphasis on them in Cerny’s talk. I could be wrong though…

He did get in a good bit about RPM (Rapid Packed Math) for PS4 Pro. For PS5, there wasn't much reason to harp on the same thing again as lower-precision compute was a given.

If we’re talking about tech that’s the future of gaming, Nvidia’s pushed RT, driven AI powered upscaling with DLSS and now DLSS frame gen.

Hard to argue it’s only about console centric devs when we’re getting games like Cyberpunk with path tracing etc.

OK there are devs like CDPR but even with games like Cyberpunk, arguably the main reason they can leverage that tech on PC is because the console market provides a big enough install base who buy the game at launch that help fund (or justify) those perks on the PC side, or even the PC version altogether in many cases.

ergem

PSSR would Sony’s differentiating factor moving forward.

Sony’s upscaling in their TV is the best in business. Leveraging that AI technology into gaming would be interesting.

Factor in the fact that consoles are a closed platform.

shamoomoo

On the PC, Nvidia had been beating the GCN architecture with lower TF parts for years. Not that it makes sense to think you can "invent" the idea that real world performance comparisons depend on more than one metric. It would be like "inventing" the idea that lower clocked CPUs can beat higher clocked ones.
From what I gathered,GCN was mostly underutilized partly because the architecture wasn't efficient on PC to get max performance. Nvidia, relatively had a better architecture on PC vs AMD.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
When Turing release,Jesen Huang said it would take 4 years for RT to be wise spread and most of the RT wasn't that good,not bad but the best us of Turing. The biggest thing to come of Turing was DLSS.
Which is cool but how was ray tracing a thing before Turing in video games? Old software RT?

shamoomoo

Which is cool but how was ray tracing a thing before Turing in video games? Old software RT?
When people state being innovative,they generally mean doing something not see before. Sticking hardware that had minimal usage and in a handful of examples in games with dubious quality isn't innovative.

I'm aware Nvidia did try various types of anti-aliasing until they strike gold with DLSS. My gripe,if you can call it such is with Turing and RT because it was never going to have good examples of RT for multiple of reasons, not RT overall.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
He did get in a good bit about RPM (Rapid Packed Math) for PS4 Pro. For PS5, there wasn't much reason to harp on the same thing again as lower-precision compute was a given.

OK there are devs like CDPR but even with games like Cyberpunk, arguably the main reason they can leverage that tech on PC is because the console market provides a big enough install base who buy the game at launch that help fund (or justify) those perks on the PC side, or even the PC version altogether in many cases.
Those perks on the PC side come from Nvidia, that AMD makes after too, that consoles buy for them after. Nothing to do with console market sales money. If consoles cease to exist people will move to other gaming machines or cry in a corner.

Gaiff

When people state being innovative,they generally mean doing something not see before. Sticking hardware that had minimal usage and in a handful of examples in games with dubious quality isn't innovative.

I'm aware Nvidia did try various types of anti-aliasing until they strike gold with DLSS. My gripe,if you can call it such is with Turing and RT because it was never going to have good examples of RT for multiple of reasons, not RT overall.
I’d say the ray tracing implementation in Control and Metro Exodus was definitely innovative and paved the way for future games.

Let's give credit to Nvidia here, they've been pioneering a lot of the advanced graphics technologies we're seeing in the graphics space. This is especially true for things like AI and ray-tracing.

AMD and Sony have just been trailing behind them, as usual.
Nvidia is great, but it's apples to oranges comparison.
Not a single good gaming platform from Nvidia and they were trying.
Also AMD and Sony should not be compared too (you mentioned it like it's from same market). How do you even think like that :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I mean Toyota is also better than Microsoft and AMD.

Xyphie

nVidia truly trail-blazing yet again with its 2015 release of the Shield TV console featuring the brand new Tegra X1 featuring 2 half-precision instructions in the same op for a total of 1 TF FP16. The absolute genius of Jensen Huang to prototype this feature back in 2003 when they released the Geforce FX series.

onQ123

Someone forgot that PC exists. PC will always lead when it comes to hardware, Sony and AMD will be playing catch up forever.
I didn't forget a thing I know all about the old GPGPUs like Intel's Larrabee but no one was creating games around it .

PS5 Pro will be the 1st time that devs will be targeting a consumer GPU where compute is dominant over the fix function pipeline.

PS5 is well balanced so if I use PS5 as the standard and say it's 1:1 rendering pipeline to compute, PS5 Pro will be 1:2 in favor of the compute pipeline because the rendering pipeline will only be 1.45x better than PS5 while compute will be up to 3X better than PS5.

At this point devs are better off adding Ray-Tracing than not using it or they are better off using ML than not using it .

Zathalus

I didn't forget a thing I know all about the old GPGPUs like Intel's Larrabee but no one was creating games around it .

PS5 Pro will be the 1st time that devs will be targeting a consumer GPU where compute is dominant over the fix function pipeline.

PS5 is well balanced so if I use PS5 as the standard and say it's 1:1 rendering pipeline to compute, PS5 Pro will be 1:2 in favor of the compute pipeline because the rendering pipeline will only be 1.45x better than PS5 while compute will be up to 3X better than PS5.

At this point devs are better off adding Ray-Tracing than not using it or they are better off using ML than not using it .
400+ games support DLSS, 200+ games support Ray-tracing. The Pro is catching up, not offering a glimpse into the future.

onQ123

400+ games support DLSS, 200+ games support Ray-tracing. The Pro is catching up, not offering a glimpse into the future.

I said a glimpse into the future of hardware meaning we are headed to a point where compute will be more dominant over the old rendering pipeline so instead of these games supporting Ray-Tracing & ML they will be built around it because compute is more dominant.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

I certainly hope not. My PS4 Pro sounded like it was trying to launch itself into orbit even on the first day I got it. So damn loud.

Excited for PS5 Pro though

Gaiff

I said a glimpse into the future of hardware meaning we are headed to a point where compute will be more dominant over the old rendering pipeline so instead of these games supporting Ray-Tracing & ML they will be built around it because compute is more dominant.
I don’t get it. Why would any game be built around RT and ML when the PS5 has to support them and it’s not especially good at either? When will that begin exactly?

There will be no glimpse into the future that we haven’t been seeing for years on PC. This thread is just weird fellating a big corporation.

Last edited:

onQ123

I don’t get it. Why would any game be built around RT and ML when the PS5 has to support them and it’s not especially good at either?

There will be no glimpse into the future that we haven’t been seeing for years on PC. This thread is just weird fellating a big corporation.
Im talking about next generation

Gaiff

Im talking about next generation
So how will we glimpse into anything when no game will be built around ML or RT this generation? How will be seeing things that are to come? I just don’t understand your logic.

Last edited:

Zathalus

The first Pro used upscaling tech before DLSS.
This new Pro is bringing a upscaling tech that will be used in future PlayStation devices and at a fraction of the cost of a good DLSS capable gaming build.
OK? Consoles have always been cheaper, not denying that. Not sure what's that got to do with my point, that Ray-tracing and ML based upscalers have been around for years, hence the Pro is catching up and not really offering a glimpse into something we haven't had before. It is nice that more ML based upscalers are being worked on and being made available in a cheaper console, as that benefits everyone.

OverHeat

« generous god »
This new Pro is bringing a upscaling tech that will be used in future PlayStation devices and at a fraction of the cost of a good DLSS capable gaming build.
We while see we are already at the 3rd version of DLSS and nvidia will not stop the advance…

Gaiff

We while see we are already at the 3rd version of DLSS and nvidia will not stop the advance…
And DLSS-capable cards have been available since 2018. A glimpse into the future for something that we've been seeing for almost 6 years. Guess I might be a seer after all.

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Last edited:

shamoomoo

So how will we glimpse into anything when no game will be built around ML or RT this generation? How will be seeing things that are to come? I just don’t understand your logic.
The base consoles can do RT,the issue is how big of a gulf exist between the Pro and PS5. As for ML,FP16 can only go so far and how much ML is necessary for decent results? Maybe the PS5 has enough performance for games.

S0ULZB0URNE

OK? Consoles have always been cheaper, not denying that. Not sure what's that got to do with my point, that Ray-tracing and ML based upscalers have been around for years, hence the Pro is catching up and not really offering a glimpse into something we haven't had before. It is nice that more ML based upscalers are being worked on and being made available in a cheaper console, as that benefits everyone.
Pro released 2016.

No catching up, its a newer method than the 2016 method.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Tons of games and emulators used upscaling tech before the Pro.
PC is already also bringing AI upscaling tech for itself since years ago at a steal price for everything it can run, and is also bringing those techs to future consoles.

Top Bottom