• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTT has built a PC that outperforms PS5 at the same price point

Bojji

That looks more expensive than $400

It's still "few hundred bucks" and you said half on console power can't be achieved with that money.

With this PC you can play:

- All PS1, PS2, PS3 games with enhanced graphics
- All PC games released ever with enhanced graphics
- All new games and most of them with higher performance than PS5 and you can actually choose better performance or image quality.
- games with mods

No need is there, the PS5 is all configurable with the controller. The rest of the PC experience, regular large slow forced updates, virus scans etc. I think we can happily do without.

Large updates and installs are part of console gaming since 2006.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Also you need a controller to match the PS5 experience. (M & K are also essential simply to set up Windows of course.)

Free online
Modular
cheaper game prices
No « gen »
Not paying money for a resolution bump « remake »

Easily worth the extra money. That build typically goes into ~$650 range with deals. CPU/Motherboard/Memory bundles like we saw at microcenter would make this even cheaper.

Elysium44

Banned
It's still "few hundred bucks" and you said half on console power can't be achieved with that money.

With this PC you can play:

- All PS1, PS2, PS3 with enhanced graphics
- All PC games released ever with enhanced graphics
- All new games and most of them with higher performance than PS5 and you can actually choose better performance or image quality.
- games with mods

Large updates are part of console gaming since 2006.

So if you spend double the cost of a PS5 you can get better performance, okay?

You'll need a M&K for your PS5 to match the PC experience.
wHFCgek.gif

T4keD0wN

Also you need a controller to match the PS5 experience. (M & K are also essential simply to set up Windows of course.)
Its also a bit more powerful, to get a closer comparison you would have to:
Upgrade the storage to m.2 gen4 (a bit tricky when it comes to size since ps5 has more than 512gb, but less than 1tb)
Downgrade the PSU to lower wattage one, GPU to non XT variant, CPU to ryzen 3600 (should still be more than 10% stronger)

and you pretty much have a console equivalent performance, minus the peripherals of course.

If you have the know how to build a pc, firstly u would not build such junk and why would u be interested in consoles, unless for exclusive games, and ease of use, just goes to show how important exclusive games are, take note ms and sony,

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Free online
Modular
cheaper game prices
No « gen »
Not paying money for a resolution bump « remake »

Easily worth the extra money. That build typically goes into ~$650 range with deals. CPU/Motherboard/Memory bundles like we saw at microcenter would make this even cheaper.

Yup. I'm extremely happy officially supported glasses free stereoscopic 3D gaming is coming to PC. PC allows for high end gaming experiences you can't get anywhere else.

Last edited:

Kacho

all these try hard threads. seems desperate since the "multiplatform" approach by Microsoft and Sony.
You can see the pattern here.
Tech channels like DF and LTT keep making these videos because it’s an interesting subject for enthusiasts, it has nothing to do with the recent multiplat strategies from Sony and Microsoft. No one is asking you to cheat on your PlayStation console with a $500 PC.

GametimeUK

To be fair, it doesn't help that console to PC hardware comparisons are typically really bad or simply click bait. And this one comes across as more of a joke than anything else.
I will admit the Linus video is a bit click baity for what it is, but some people here just take things way too far. There's nothing inherently wrong with putting X system against Y system and seeing what the outcome is.

I genuinely find it interesting and DF for example do a great job in my opinion.

MayauMiao

Shaving off that beard somehow made him look years younger.

Anyway I like this video, it kind of gives me a benchmark as to what PC parts I need upgrade to get an equivalent or better performance.

FunkMiller

Yep. This is dumb as shit.

A better video would be what’s the maximum you have to spend on a brand new PC to rival a brand new Ps5.

And then ask if PC gaming is that much better than Sony’s overpriced walled off digital garden to justify that extra outlay.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Yep. This is dumb as shit.

A better video would be what’s the maximum you have to spend on a brand new PC to rival a brand new Ps5.

And then ask if PC gaming is that much better than Sony’s overpriced walled off digital garden to justify that extra outlay.

That's completely subjective. We all spend our money on what we want, finding reasons to validate our decisions. I drive a basic Toyota Prius. Some of you wouldn't be caught dead driving one. I bought a 4090. Some of you would never spend that much to play videogames. Lets not even get into audio equipment.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Firstly don’t waste ur money on amd gpus, pay the extra for nvidia, windows is an extra 100$, where is the controller and blue ray drive?

Windows is free to install. There is no requirement to activate it. Games can be played with keyboard and mouse. Blu ray drive is useless on a PC so the comparison should really be with the PS5 digital.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

It seems that the console business is changing, PS5 has not dropped in price since launch in 2020, while the PC market has returned to normalized pricing after the crypto crash.

Right now is much more profitable a PC to play, not only you can get one for the price of practically a console, but you have free online, much cheaper games, mods, community patches, free games without subscriptions (epic games), access to all xbox day 1 exclusives, access to almost all playstation exclusives, the entire PC catalog, gamepass, emulation, freedom to use any type of controller, multiple screens or ultrawide....

So my question is what is the excuse now for console gamers?

The excuse is that I've had my PS5 since 2020 and only now in 2024 you can build a comparable PC for the price point.

Three

This is a duplicate thread of this:

And no excuse is needed if you actually watch the video till the end

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
More like 99%. The 6700 XT is close to the 3060 Ti.
i dont know, with that hardware, i think most games will run worse on PC than on PS5.

Dont forget console gaming is better optimized and alot of times PC has to bruteforce it.

Shader compilation, stuttering is huge problem in pc gaming

Last edited:

Bojji

i dont know, with that hardware, i think most games will run worse on PC than on PS5.

Dont forger console gaming is better optimized and alot of times PC has to bruteforce it.

Nope, even 6700 outperforms PS5 most of the time:

And:

983QPbX.jpg

Sleepwalker

I can get a ps5 for 250-300 used.
Also this, they have to use used parts for their PC build and a case that was literally dragged out of the trash. But it all goes out the window when you find a used PS5 for 300 on facebook marketplace, probably will come with a few games or extra controller.

MikeM

As someone who watched the video:
- Intel Arc has HDR issues it seems.
- Controller was not factored into cost.
- They used a disc drive PS5 instead of a cheaper digital model.
- Used parts, so no warranty and lots of gambling.

PC is still more expensive. And has more potential for problems.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
They won’t.
Dont forget console gaming is better optimized and alot of times PC has to bruteforce it.
That rig is also quite a bit better and has much faster CPU.
Shader compilation, stuttering is huge problem in pc gaming
Which is why we’re not saying 100%. There are thousands of games released every year. The handful of them with major issues and Sony exclusives are the 1-10%.

Windows is free to install. There is no requirement to activate it. Games can be played with keyboard and mouse. Blu ray drive is useless on a PC so the comparison should really be with the PS5 digital.
It’s still a bad build tho, and it’s not apples to apples, realistically you want a comparable alternative, you are gonna need more then 1k,

Top Bottom