• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTT has built a PC that outperforms PS5 at the same price point

ReBurn

Gold Member
it isn't 2007 anymore, also every console has soldered on flash memory since the Wii U. The OG Xbox's clock capacitators are just now running out.

either way, it's not just used consoles that are cheaper. There's open box, refurbished, brand New systems from resellers selling them for cheap, etc.

PUYiD7O.png
That particular console is cheap because it's banned online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276358983613

I've been looking to get a slim console and saw it while browsing earlier. Small world.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

He's kinda right to be fair, sure it's not guaranteed but you're likely to hit issues at some point with PC gaming, some very minor, some more annoying. For example:

When building my PC:

- Wouldnt post, had to spent all day troubleshooting, bought spare parts to test, waited a couple days, tried new parts and it turns out it was a dead motherboard.

- Second monitor randomly goes in portrait mode when playing a game so I have to turn it off. My main use case was keeping up with discord and sports games while playing. I havent bothered to take a look and fix it.

- PC would randomly crash to black screen when playing Alan Wake 2 and the fans would run up to max RPM. Had to force turn it off a few more times than id like to.

- Playing warhammer darktide with friends, multiple crashes and even a couple BSOD errors.

- It has some coil whine, I'm not sure which component it is, probably the gpu but I can hear it when I play unless I use headphones. This one I'm not really sure how to fix but I don't want to be weeks without a GPU so I don't want to send it in for warranty.

- The SSD in my previous PC (built 2019) died one day and I lost all my local files, no amount of troubleshooting could help me recover it. Lost a bunch of critical work data that set me back a week on a couple projects.

I have fixed most of these issues and I'm a tinkerer at heart so I don't care. But I bought my PS5 in 2020 and aside from one overheating message when playing Spiderman 2 last year it has given me 0 issues, a good cleaning and it was back up to perfect shape. Neither has my xbox or switch to be fair.

My PC plays games like a dream though and at way better performance/quality settings, I use a dualsense for it and I love it. But it did cost me around 4.5 PS5s worth of money, maybe closer to 6-7 if we include the monitor and pheripherals lol.

Despite all that, there's something good to the simplicity of a console. You boot it up and kick back on the couch to play with 0 tinkering with settings or troubleshooting. Its the reason I keep buying and playing games on it in an even split with my PC.

And the exclusives too of course. Some people like to wait, I don't. I will double dip on PC later, no sweat. But if I wanna play something now, I will play it where it's available. There's always something "better" in the future, you probably will be able to play FF7Rebirth at 4k60 this time next year on PC but why do that when in 5 years youll be able to do 8k120fps?

Last edited:

Crayon

I was playing around with pc parts picker the other night trying to do this and it was fun. Mine came up at $500 but it was a little shy of a ps5 in performance and didn't have a disk drive or controller in the box. Balanced with the benefits of playing on pc (not working on pc, it's not for work), I thought it was a pretty good deal. I'm not super impressed with a pc build matching a 3 year old console, though. At that price I'd recommend considering used for a few of the parts.

Cyberpunkd

What a retarded concept.
The concept is actually very good, but a better take would have been to make a video on e.g. Steam Big Picture mode, dispelling the notion that PC gaming is very difficult or a hassle like it was during the DOS era or early 2000s.
People in this very thread pointed out to primarily being on a console for not wanting to "mess with the PC". The point is you don't have to.

Boss Mog

LMAO, OP should be banned from making threads for a while after posting such fake news. A mod should change the title to "LTT has built a PC using used parts that manages to compete with the PS5 at the same price point".

Topher

Gold Member
He's kinda right to be fair, sure it's not guaranteed but you're likely to hit issues at some point with PC gaming, some very minor, some more annoying. For example:

When building my PC:

- Wouldnt post, had to spent all day troubleshooting, bought spare parts to test, waited a couple days, tried new parts and it turns out it was a dead motherboard.

- Second monitor randomly goes in portrait mode when playing a game so I have to turn it off. My main use case was keeping up with discord and sports games while playing. I havent bothered to take a look and fix it.

- PC would randomly crash to black screen when playing Alan Wake 2 and the fans would run up to max RPM. Had to force turn it off a few more times than id like to.

- Playing warhammer darktide with friends, multiple crashes and even a couple BSOD errors.

- It has some coil whine, I'm not sure which component it is, probably the gpu but I can hear it when I play unless I use headphones. This one I'm not really sure how to fix but I don't want to be weeks without a GPU so I don't want to send it in for warranty.

- The SSD in my previous PC (built 2019) died one day and I lost all my local files, no amount of troubleshooting could help me recover it. Lost a bunch of critical work data that set me back a week on a couple projects.

I have fixed most of these issues and I'm a tinkerer at heart so I don't care. But I bought my PS5 in 2020 and aside from one overheating message when playing Spiderman 2 last year it has given me 0 issues, a good cleaning and it was back up to perfect shape. Neither has my xbox or switch to be fair.

My PC plays games like a dream though and at way better performance/quality settings, I use a dualsense for it and I love it. But it did cost me around 4.5 PS5s worth of money, maybe closer to 6-7 if we include the monitor and pheripherals lol.

Despite all that, there's something good to the simplicity of a console. You boot it up and kick back on the couch to play with 0 tinkering with settings or troubleshooting. Its the reason I keep buying and playing games on it in an even split with my PC.

And the exclusives too of course. Some people like to wait, I don't. I will double dip on PC later, no sweat. But if I wanna play something now, I will play it where it's available. There's always something "better" in the future, you probably will be able to play FF7Rebirth at 4k60 this time next year on PC but why do that when in 5 years youll be able to do 8k120fps?

Sure.....I'm just taking issue with stating it is a "guarantee" that issues will occur with PC. That just isn't true. I think what MikeM MikeM said was completely accurate that there are more "potential" for problems with PC. That is especially true when building your own PC since the only person QAing the completed system is you.

A big factor in console reliability is the simpler system overall. It should also be pointed out that people can opt for simpler PC gaming, much like a console, with single board, integrated graphics, soldered RAM, APU and much less chance of hardware issues. Unfortunately it seems console equivalent performance is not for sale as console manufacturers do not want direct competition in the APU market. Last month, AMD revealed their 8000 APU series and they were still hamstrung in the graphics, ensuring PS5's 2020 GPU has more power than the latest. So a simpler console-like option in the PC realm is not available by design. That's why so many people here have said so many times that they wish they could buy an XSX and install Windows on it.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I mean I love PC gaming. It is my main platform and has been for almost 30 years.

And this video is still shit. Basically you can get a respectable PC around $800-900 that will best XSX/PSP pretty easily, but let’s not get crazy and say it’s $500 when you don’t count bunch of items in there or say go with used GPUs.

Also, while Intel is becoming a solid budget choice… one needs to be prepared to tinker since drivers aren’t the most stable.

Topher

Gold Member
Most people are okay with DF's stuff. It's these dumb Linus videos that people hate.

Some DF videos can be head scratchers. I don't think every new Nvidia card needs a PS5 comparison, for example. I do like that they analyze games and find equivalent settings and stuff like that though. And DF never pulls stunts like this.

I remember thinking at one time in my life that Linus was a reliable source of tech information. That hasn't been the case in quite a while though.

And free Windows license as well apparently.

Activating Windows isn't required to play games. Technically, Windows is free with some limitations.

Last edited:

kyubajin

I work 8 hours per day in front of a computer, I don't want to play games using a computer, having to tinker, setup, fiddle with configurations, etc etc. I just wanna sit and play.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It seems that the console business is changing, PS5 has not dropped in price since launch in 2020, while the PC market has returned to normalized pricing after the crypto crash.

Right now is much more profitable a PC to play, not only you can get one for the price of practically a console, but you have free online, much cheaper games, mods, community patches, free games without subscriptions (epic games), access to all xbox day 1 exclusives, access to almost all playstation exclusives, the entire PC catalog, gamepass, emulation, freedom to use any type of controller, multiple screens or ultrawide....

So my question is what is the excuse now for console gamers?

Smug post not backed by the video: ✅
PCMR bullshit: ✅
Inane warring: ✅

Oh… GamePass mention: ✅✅

Has the new astroturfer script landed ;)?

Elysium44

Banned
Regular large slow forced updates? you mean the thing that's also on console too?
8hjqj5.jpg

and Viruses? Bro, you're using STEAM to get these games. Maybe GOG and Epic too. You're never coming in contact with a virus.

Must have missed my consoles having updates as big and long as Windows regularly does. Also you call me a dipshit but apparently missed that there are other ways to get a virus or other malware on PC other than through Steam? It's something that can happen on WINDOWS and cannot happen on CONSOLE?

Fabieter

That GPU alone goes for 300 bucks where I live (well, new, of course). Choosing such a title for your video seems inappropriate for a used parts PC, but he probably knows his toxic audience, though.

makaveli60

Why are so many pc gamers are behaving as missionaries? What can they not understand in that many console gamers just don’t want the bullshit that comes with pc gaming? Yeah, in theory this pc may match the ps5 for the same price (like this was some huge thing in the fourth year of this gen) but in actual use, most of the time the pc will struggle with driver problems, stuttering and other neverending problems. So I‘m asking again, why do pc gamers always try to indoctrinate console gamers?

edit: and now just realized that the video is also clickbait shit, so it’s not even true. This thread is a joke

Last edited:

Zathalus

Must have missed my consoles having updates as big and long as Windows regularly does. Also you call me a dipshit but apparently missed that there are other ways to get a virus or other malware on PC other than through Steam? It's something that can happen on WINDOWS and cannot happen on CONSOLE?
Windows updates should only bother you to install when you restart or shut down your PC. Updates run in the background and shouldn't intefere with anything you are doing while actually playing games.

As for viruses, just don't download any dodgy email attachments and you will fine. Virus threats to a modern Windows 11 or Linux install these days is basically nonexistent compared to a decade ago.

Its not as plug and play as a console, but you are making these out to be way worse then they actually are.

Last edited:

Bojji

What about installing 150GB of data from slow as fuck disc drive? I will have this experience today... on a console!

Chastten

Banned
I appreciate and acknowledge all the benefits of PC-gaming but I still prefer the ease of use you get from consoles.

On Switch, I grab my controller, press one button and within 2 seconds I'm in the game, at exactly the spot where I left off last night.

It's a small thing, but all of these small things combined will always keep me from being a pure PC-gamer. That being said, PC-gaming is improving all the time so who knows where things will end up going.

Zathalus

Why are so many pc gamers are behaving as missionaries? What can they not understand in that many console gamers just don’t want the bullshit that comes with pc gaming? Yeah, in theory this pc may match the ps5 for the same price (like this was some huge thing in the fourth year of this gen) but in actual use, most of the time the pc will struggle with driver problems, stuttering and other neverending problems. So I‘m asking again, why do pc gamers always try to indoctrinate console gamers?

edit: and now just realized that the video is also clickbait shit, so it’s not even true. This thread is a joke
Enjoy what you want, but hyperbolic statements like "most of the time the pc will struggle with driver problems, stuttering and other neverending problems" is utter nonsense.

Elysium44

Banned
Windows updates should only bother you to install when you restart or shut down your PC. Updates run in the background and shouldn't intefere with anything you are doing while actually playing games.

As for viruses, just don't download any dodgy email attachments and you will fine. Virus threats to a modern Windows 11 or Linux install these days is basically nonexistent compared to a decade ago.

Its not as plug and play as a console, but you are making these out to be way worse then they actually are.

Yes thanks I've been using PCs since the 1990s, I know how it all works.

fersnake

i dont know whats worst, Linus video or Richard's comparing it to a 4070 super.

btw this is my rig that i build a couple yrs ago with some upgrades and downgrades

CPU: Ryzen 5600x (previous 3600) Liquid Cooling: Deepcool LS520 SE (previous NZXT Kraken Z63, stock)
GPU: RTX 2070 Super ( previous 3070 Ti it cost me like $600-700 back in the day) "had to sell it a couple yrs ago too" so i downgraded hehe
Ram: 16GB 3200Mhz
MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Storage: 1Tb Nvme Crucial 3,400MB/s (for games, plus 1tb ssd and 4tb storage)
Case: Phanteks P400a (with 8 rgb fans)
Monitor: LG 34UC89G 34" inch ultra wide display, 2560x1080 ,144hz (oc 165) IPS, Gsync
Peripherals: Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite 2, Headset HyperX Cloud 2, Mice Logitech G502. Dualshock 4 controller. (in this time i had to buy like 2 keyboards and 3 mices cus they broke or got broken hahaha.

i spend like $2,500 and i've been upgrading and downgrading stuff so in the end the price is not exact. btw i dont live in the US so i had to import everything so i can easily add $1000 more in taxes and currier. oh i forgot that i bought a ps5 around that time too so another 500 bucks to the list.

just saying not everyone can build or spend that kind of money on a pc and sometimes ppl forget that.

BTW he build that pc so it can match or beat in some cases a ps5 a console from 4 yrs ago with used parts with or without warranty. i didnt see if he add the cost of a windows license and the price is gonna fluctuate if you buy it with a reputable vendor like amazon, newegg or if you dont care that grey area of cdkeys.

ps. sry for the long post.
ps2. dont listen to ppl just buy whatever you are happy with.

Elysium44

Banned
I appreciate and acknowledge all the benefits of PC-gaming but I still prefer the ease of use you get from consoles.

On Switch, I grab my controller, press one button and within 2 seconds I'm in the game, at exactly the spot where I left off last night.

It's a small thing, but all of these small things combined will always keep me from being a pure PC-gamer. That being said, PC-gaming is improving all the time so who knows where things will end up going.

Arguably PC gaming is worse than it used to be. It used to be simpler and there was less of a problem of PC games stuttering or having other performance niggles during the PS360 generation. You also often need a much more powerful PC simply to match a weaker console now.

On paper my PC is much quicker than my Series S and yet games such as WRC 9/10/Generations run flawlessly on the Xbox but need all kinds of tweaking on the PC and even then it's still not quite as good. (Please, PCMR folks, don't bother to reply to this and tell me I'm 'wrong' or offer 'advice'.)

During the PS360 generation everything was simpler. No RT, no HDR, no upscaling which devs increasingly use as a crutch rather than optimise their code better.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I’m sorry, but whenever a new game releases on pc I felel like most of the threads are about the different problems people have running the game.
I never said problems didn't exist, just taking exception with the term "most of the time". There is over 130 million monthly active gamers on Steam, so expecting a few dozen post on Steam about technical issues when a new game launches is expected. But that doesn't mean it is the experience of the vast majority.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
End of the day, this fool got his clicks that he wanted for his youtube channel didnt he so you've played into his hands.

youtube will send him another plaque for his wall.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
I never said problems didn't exist, just taking exception with the term "most of the time". There is over 130 million monthly active gamers on Steam, so expecting a few dozen post on Steam about technical issues when a new game launches is expected. But that doesn't mean it is the experience of the vast majority.

Plenty of games launch which have serious issues which affect all the players. EA WRC and other Unreal stutter engine games for example.

Top Bottom