• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Callisto Protocol - Feels like this gens Ryse / Order 1886

kiphalfton

I figured I was probably being a bit too critical when I made the original post (since I had only played about an hour at that point), but it seems as though the things I mentioned continued being an issue throughout the entire game.

Beat the game and here are my major gripes:

- Crawling through tight spaces to hide loading screens, was completely overkill. Probably did it no less than 50 times throughout the entire game.
- Braindead "fuse puzzles"; take fuse from here and put in other panel.
- Using environmental kills can be fun, but not when nearly every area has spiked walls; very little variety in that regard.
- Animations and physics for telekinesis is wonky.
- Lack of inventory space, especially when there is no storage at forging machine, was unnecessarily inconvenient.
- Essentially having to play through the game multiple times in order to procure AND fully upgrade all weapons.
- Every enemy drops items when you stomp them.
- Lack of enemy variety/over reliance on certain enemy types in certain parts of the game.
- Gunplay seems to take back seat to melee.
- "Quick shot" between melee attacks (i.e. reticle appears, auto locks on, and you can shoot) doesn't flow particularly well.
- Item drops don't seem to be balanced; you get lots of health drops towards the beginning-middle of the game, but very few towards the end (which incidentally is when most mini boss fights are as well as the final boss fight).
- Placement of enemies feels off, likely due to extremely cramped spaces, and felt like I was fighting the camera quite a bit.
- Despite previous bullet points, camera feels like it is far too close, and ideally would be pulled further back to give better visibility.
- Recycled mini bosses towards the end of the game (Ferris first stage fight, and two headed monster.)

Sad that so many issues made it into the final version of the game, but I get why people were critical of the game.

It's not an awful game, but it's not a great game either. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of survival horror games, so it's slim pickings though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom