• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I had a choice to buy either Gran Turismo 7 + Evil West OR Callisto Protocol - guess if I made the right one

Drizzlehell

Banned
Both GT7 and EW are on sale right now, and I also gathered enough points in that PlayStation Stars thingy to redeem a $25 gift card, so the grand total for those two games was about the same as I would've paid just for Callisto Protocol alone without any discounts.

Yep, I bought GT7 and Evil West, and I'm pretty happy with my choice. I already played a couple of races in GT7 last night and I'm digging it so far but first I'm gonna play through Evil West, which is also pretty fucking sweet. I held off on it initially because I heard some bad things about it but idk what all the fuss was about. Yeah it can be a bit tough in places but it's a pretty sweet action game regardless. I don't recall any other game in recent memory that would do this particular style of gameplay with an over-the-shoulder camera and equal parts melee and shooting combat. It feel pretty unique and it's fun as hell.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's 30% off I think. Been considering it. But I have no time at the moment anyway.

I'd say wait for a deeper discount or rent as it's strictly SP with not a lot of replay value.

XaolsOb.png

qhcATs5.png

Got gold in everything up until I hit the S licenses and then realised I have a full time job and a family and it will take dozens of hours to practice. It is very addictive though!
Same! I'm on S license and I'm on the one where your driving the Super Formula Honda at Laguna Seca. It wasn't until after my session I realized I had been playing that section for an hour and 30 minutes. The licenses can be a time sink.

People keep saying there is no replay value in Evil West but it actually has a new game plus, and also a mode that unlocks after beating the higher difficulty called True Death, in which when you start a new save file and die your entire progress gets wiped on that slot

Evil West is a surprise hit for me personally. It’s nothing special but its simplicity is refreshing. I can switch my brain off and beat the shit out of monsters and get more powerful every level.

It’s nowhere near perfect and lacks some polish but is it nice to see in a world full of open world experiences or battle pass bullshit that have no respect for your time.

I haven’t actually tried GT7. Last one I played was 3 back on the PS2.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Ok, I finished Evil West. Pretty solid game overall. Lots of fun and challenging combat and cool locations and it generally felt like this 7th gen mid-shelf title that I enjoyed so much in the past.

It's a bit janky and the story is so bland that I stopped paying attention about halfway through (but still got the gist of it anyway), but those kinds of flaws are something that I can swallow when it comes to lower budgeted games like this. The gameplay is what matters most here and in that regard it delivers a solid experience.

Although that final boss has got to be one of the most un-fun things I've ever played in my entire life. It's just fucking awful.

Reactions: Isa

Skifi28

GT7 license courses is the dark souls of racing games.
They were when the game launched, but after multiple physics/handling updating without changing the times on the tests they're quite easy. I could barely do bronze at launch, but after trying last week I golded all the S licences with barely 2-3 tries per track. For the record, I'm completely average at the game.

Last edited:

SCB3

Good choice, Calisto was my biggest disappointment of the year, its a solid 7/10 game, but I expected so so much more, I actually got bored of it 5 hours in and forced myself to finish it towards the end

Evil West looks great and its one of those games I know will be on Game Pass / PS Plus soon enough so I'll try it there

I am also kinda tempted by GT7, I've not touched GT since 5 I think (I know I skipped 6 but I played Sport at some point) and I am missing that Sim itch a little now that Forza is pretty much going for Horizon (which is fine of course, but a different kinda game)

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not understanding the Calisto hate. Game was better than both of those RE remakes.
I can't say for sure until I try it out by myself but from what I saw and heard so far, that melee combat simply looks awful and it's the main thing that keeps me from trying this thing out.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Evil West looks so good to me. I was debating about buying it last night, but ultimately didn’t want to drop $40 on it. Picked up Teardown and Kena Bridge of Spirits instead.

Definitely grabbing Evil West when the price drops further.

xrnzaaas

GT7 is a game that will last you the whole generation. Sort of like GT Sport, GT5 and GT4. It's a must-have in any PS5 library IMO.
Disagree. The game doesn't offer tons of unique content (especially if you've played GTS) and it's not getting tons of new content (mostly new/returning cars and usually only 3 per month). I reckon most players will stop playing once they're done with the career mode which is very short even if you're playing casually. Licences and online racing aren't for everyone.

My expectations for GT7 were much higher since I didn't like the online focus in GTS. The game didn't deliver for me and if I wasn't hunting for the platinum I would've dropped it pretty quickly. I'm hoping the new Forza Motorsport will deliver... so far I've invested at least 100 hours in every new FM game and always had fun.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Disagree. The game doesn't offer tons of unique content (especially if you've played GTS) and it's not getting tons of new content (mostly new/returning cars and usually only 3 per month). I reckon most players will stop playing once they're done with the career mode which is very short even if you're playing casually. Licences and online racing aren't for everyone.

My expectations for GT7 were much higher since I didn't like the online focus in GTS. The game didn't deliver for me and if I wasn't hunting for the platinum I would've dropped it pretty quickly. I'm hoping the new Forza Motorsport will deliver... so far I've invested at least 100 hours in every new FM game and always had fun.
Too bad Forza Motorsport was delisted, lol.

I hate that they keep doing this shit with Forza games. And maybe it wouldn't be as bad if you could only get the latest one until the next one comes out or whatever, but FM7 came out as late as 20-fucking-17 and it's already not available for purchase. It's ridiculous.

Top Bottom