• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road = Bourne Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
rexfeatures-404030j.jpg
q:70
642737.jpg
=
bourne-5-pushed-2016-thumb.jpg

MEL_021.jpg~c200
main-thumb-t-1614508-200-vrztrruasjoumvaudfaesgxnsadedekl.jpeg
Mad-Max-4.jpg
=
mad-max-fury-road-without-vfx-cool-video.jpg

Just watched Fury Road, and while I was very impressed by the special effects and the performance of Charlize Theron, I couldn't help but be distracted by the fact that this was Mel Gibson's baby commandeered by a less skillful actor in Tom Hardy. A strong comparison can be found between what happened here and the Jason Bourne saga.

Mad Max 1 = GOOD
Mad Max: The Road Warrior = GREAT
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome = CLASSIC
Mad Max: Fury Road = Average

Bourne Identity = GOOD
Bourne Supremacy = GREAT
Bourne Ultimatum = CLASSIC
Bourne Legacy = Mediocre

The other week, I saw Mel Gibson's Blood Father. The man looked more like Mad Max than Tom Hardy did in the movie.

bloodfather-melgibson2.jpg
gibsonbf200.jpg
blood_father_3.jpg
72733_cv04.jpg

Are you kidding me, Director George Miller? Too old? Wanting to cater Mad Max to a "young audience"? This movie would have made TWICE as much money with Mel in it. I don't care what his demands were. Forget a Furiosa movie. Miller can make this right by bringing in Mel for the 5th movie. Fury Road can be looked at as an aberration like Bourne Legacy and Halloween 3. I, for one, will not watched another Mad Max movie without its main star back in it.

SJRB

Gold Member
...did you just call Fury Road "avarage"?

....and Thunderdome a "classic"?

MEDIOCRE.

Valtýr

I was already triggered by calling Fury Road average, then I saw you consider Beyond Thunderdome a classic!

Eidan

Fury Road is the best film in its series, and it's especially better than the original Mad Max. And the comparison to Bourne Legacy is just embarrassing.

Nah, the film was great and Hardy did a good job with the character. We follow Max but it's not really Max's story, so Hardy was suitably subdued in the role. It didn't need Gibson to work, plus signing him up for three films would probably be very expensive, and it's not like he's a box office draw any more. Plus, maybe Miller & WB don't want to associate with him given his recent actions.

Also, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is awful, and I personally don't rate the first film particularly highly either, but the second film is great. Fury Road though might be even better.

Miller admitted, after lying to fans of the series, that he never intended to bring Mel Gibson aboard for the 5th film. How is he not getting any heat for that?

Edit: I meant 4th film.

Miller admitted, after lying to fans of the series, that he never intended to bring Mel Gibson aboard for the 5th film. How is he not getting any heat for that?
Because the end product is so fucking incredible it practically rises out of the franchise itself to become something even greater than its origin?

Who the fuck wants to give such a great team 'heat'?

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Gibson's Max was definitely a better character, but Hardy was fine. The movie wasn't Road Warrior, but its still pretty damn good.

But seriously, OP's argument doesn't even stand since there was a new Bourne movie that came out with Matt Damon.

That's my point.

Mel Gibson is in good shape and I'd assume would be willing to reprise his role ala "Jason Bourne." With Mel's acting and directorial support, the 5th movie should fare just as well if not better than Fury Road.

I kinda like Fury Road less because of the Internet's circlejerk over it.
I don't hate the movie, but the entire time all I could think was, "this is what people are obsessed with?"
I agree that I think Gibson was great in Mad Max and The Road Warrior. Thunderdome is the worst in the franchise. I really also don't think you can even compare Mad Max to the rest of the films, it's so different. I definitely think Fury Road is number 2, though.

LionPride

Banned
What? I'm not one of these people that thought Mad Max was like the greatest movie ever or even of 2015 or thought it should have won any best picture awards, but it's pretty damn good. This is just like a wrong opinion.

For me it was a typical summer action movie popcorn flick. There wasn't anything interesting about the characters or story. It just has great visuals and action. If you went in with no expectations, you'd be satisfied, but if you went based on people's over-hype and reactions to seeing it, then you'd probably be disappointed.

Matty77

Road warrior is the classic not that tried but failed thunder dome shit.

And Fury Road is the second best or equal (probably because it's closest in tone and plot to Road Warrior)

So yeah, thread fail before we even get to whatever the Bourne stuff is.

So many wrong, hurtful, and downright dangerous movie opinions in one OP. Matt Damon is not a better actor than Jeremy Renner. Mel Gibson is not a better actor than Tom Hardy. Freaking Bourne Legacy shall not be compared to Fury Road. Blood Father should have starred Arnold Schwarzenegger. Forget Charlize Theron's epic Furiosa performance? for some more late stage Gibson?? Go straight to hell, op. Do not pass go, but do collect $200 and stuff them right in your ass. I'm going for a walk to clear my head. I'm just so angry right now

I kinda like Fury Road less because of the Internet's circlejerk over it.
I don't hate the movie, but the entire time all I could think was, "this is what people are obsessed with?"
I agree that I think Gibson was great in Mad Max and The Road Warrior. Thunderdome is the worst in the franchise. I really also don't think you can even compare Mad Max to the rest of the films, it's so different. I definitely think Fury Road is number 2, though.

I have no problem with people thinking that but I thought for me it stands out among the rest.

This is the first time I've seen someone assert that the Bourne Movies got better with the sequels and peaked at Ultimatum. What on earth...

HvySky

Sorry OP, you just called GAF's darling average. Take cover before you're completely obliterated.

it was alright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom