• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road = Bourne Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people actually not like the original Mad Max? I feel like I'm crazy. It's so good.

It is a bit of a rough movie to sit through for a lot of people. The original Mad Max was George Miller's first movie, it was made on a shoestring budget with no Hollywood or big studio backing. The pacing is a bit inconsistent and the production values are very 1970's guerilla film making.

Though, there it is still a really interesting movie, with some really balls-y car stunts and action sequences for such a low budget movie. Mel Gibson was great and the movie itself has this interesting "before the apocalypse" feel to it. The lack of budget meant that George Miller couldn't really make this movie look post apocalypse. They had to film on real streets and in real locations.

There are stories that they had to have people with walkie talkies posted on streets just to look out for the police, just so they could pack up and leave at a whim. They didn't have any permission to film in a lot of the areas that the movie was filmed in. The majority of Toe Cutter's biker gang was paid in flats of beer, because George Miller found out that it was cheaper than paying them in cash. That biker gang was real. The filming experience must have been amazing for the original Mad Max. It is a movie that I don't think can be replicated by modern amateur film makers. It was very ambitious for a late 70's movie.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior did have backing from Warner Bros. It had a bigger budget, actual sets, actors in costume, better cameras and audio. Better pacing overall, and some impressive stunt work for it's day. Mel also had the least dialog in this movie. He practically said nothing, and was distant in comparison to his character i the first movie. IMO, this is still my favorite movie in this series. This one also really gets into world building too. It is also the darkest of the Mad Max movies.

Mad Mad: Beyound Thunderdome is an interesting movie, and the most "Hollywood" of the original Mel Trilogy. The first half has some amazing moments in Barter Town, this movie introduces that nuclear war happened and now there is fallout. Tina Turner was great as Aunty Entity, Master and Blaster were also interesting characters too. But the second half with the kids went off the rails for me. IMO, this is George Miller's ROTJ of the Mad Max movies. But I can see why people like this one. It is much more adventurous than the Road Warrior.

Fury Road is what happens when you give George Miller a $150 million dollar budget to make a film. The stunt work, the action, the mix of CG and real physical objects. The editing is fantastic, Margaret Sixel deserved her Oscar Award. The movie is like The Road Warrior, but on steroids. It also puts Max in a secondary role for the first half and focuses on Furiosa. The world building is also fantastic and so are all the nuances in the character relations. I really didn't like Tom Hardy at first, but after multiple viewings, I do think he is fine. I would prefer Mel, but his time came and went as an actor. My favorite movie of 2015.

I don't get this.

Why do you need to "talk to more people" about an opinion you have about a movie? As if their views will validate your own. We're not sheep. You think I care that most of the folks in this thread are laughing at me for putting Thunderdome up there? Yes, I think it's a tad better than Road Warrior. Yes I think Mel Gibson plays Mad Max 10x better than Tom Hardy ever could. I'm not running from that opinion or this thread.

Why make the thread? It's not live you gave an actual reason on the OP.

Not to mention, this is by all means an objectively wrong opinion which is a hard thing to do when talking about movies.

I liked Bourne Legacy. It's like Bioshock 2.... sure, not as good as what came before, but still good entertainment.

I loved Fury Road as well. Should have had Mel in it though.

did i just get baited by bobby?

fe4b7b4b6616dbf643f52fbd4bbaec81.gif

You son of a

giphy.gif

Matty77

Do people actually not like the original Mad Max? I feel like I'm crazy. It's so good.
It is a good movie, but for me the ideas and building of a myth are a lot stronger than the film itself, and then Road Warrior just blew it out on all levels, and Fury Road is just as good as Road Warrior, maybe better for some.

Max works best as the wandering archetype the first movie created that wanders in and out of the stories though, so I unlike OP am not attached to any particular actor as long as certain attributes of Max as the outsider are portrayed faithfully.

Thunderdome was a film that took risks that if they had panned out would have been great but they did not in my opinion and the film ultimately suffers for it and is easily the weakest of the four movies. I would hazard a guess most people who love it or think it's a classic are giving that credit to a disjointed work that's all over the place based on how strong, influential, and ability to stick in memories the sequence with the actual Thunderdome is.

It is a bit of a rough movie to sit through for a lot of people. The original Mad Max was George Miller's first movie, it was made on a shoestring budget with no Hollywood or big studio backing. The pacing is a bit inconsistent and the production values are very 1970's guerilla film making.

Though, there it is still a really interesting movie, with some really balls-y car stunts and action sequences for such a low budget movie. Mel Gibson was great and the movie itself has this interesting "before the apocalypse" feel to it. The lack of budget meant that George Miller couldn't really make this movie look post apocalypse. They had to film on real streets and in real locations.

There are stories that they had to have people with walkie talkies posted on streets just to look out for the police, just so they could pack up and leave at a whim. They didn't have any permission to film in a lot of the areas that the movie was filmed in. The majority of Toe Cutter's biker gang was paid in flats of beer, because George Miller found out that it was cheaper than paying them in cash. That biker gang was real. The filming experience must have been amazing for the original Mad Max. It is a movie that I don't think can be replicated by modern amateur film makers. It was very ambitious for a late 70's movie.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior did have backing from Warner Bros. It had a bigger budget, actual sets, actors in costume, better cameras and audio. Better pacing overall, and some impressive stunt work for it's day. Mel also had the least dialog in this movie. He practically said nothing, and was distant in comparison to his character i the first movie. IMO, this is still my favorite movie in this series. This one also really gets into world building too. It is also the darkest of the Mad Max movies.

Mad Mad: Beyound Thunderdome is an interesting movie, and the most "Hollywood" of the original Mel Trilogy. The first half has some amazing moments in Barter Town, this movie introduces that nuclear war happened and now there is fallout. Tina Turner was great as Aunty Entity, Master and Blaster were also interesting characters too. But the second half with the kids went off the rails for me. IMO, this is George Miller's ROTJ of the Mad Max movies. But I can see why people like this one. It is much more adventurous than the Road Warrior.

Fury Road is what happens when you give George Miller a $150 million dollar budget to make a film. The stunt work, the action, the mix of CG and real physical objects. The editing is fantastic, Margaret Sixel deserved her Oscar Award. The movie is like The Road Warrior, but on steroids. It also puts Max in a secondary role for the first half and focuses on Furiosa. The world building is also fantastic and so are all the nuances in the character relations. I really didn't like Tom Hardy at first, but after multiple viewings, I do think he is fine. I would prefer Mel, but his time came and went as an actor. My favorite movie of 2015.

pay attention, OP

This^ is how you gripe

***** 5/5 post "Heartwarming"

I love Mad Max. I can't tell which parts are the way they are because it is set on the cusp of the apocalypse, and which parts are the way they are because it is set in 70's Australia.

Whompa02

6 Academy Awards for Mad Max Fury Road. OP you are clown shows. Movie was fucking awesome.

Thunderdome is not great. Mad Max 1 is GOOD. Road Warrior is GREAT. Fury Road is as good as Road Warrior, if not better. Don't even...

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Thor 2 The Dark World, a February release, almost doubled Flop Roads WW total...for a "blockbuster" that's quite a poor showing.

Did anyone besides Gaffers see this movie?

While I'm not sure if I'd agree on Last Crusade being a better movie over Raiders, I can definitely get behind saying that it's my favorite of the three. Last Crusade has overall better pacing, and the dynamic between Ford and Connery was off the charts.

On most days I'd say I like Temple of Doom more than Raiders, as well, but I usually just chalk that up to it being the first Indy movie I saw.

mdubs

Banned
I've seen Fury Road and don't see what all the fuss was about. Fell asleep during parts of the last half. Like it was a fine movie but I don't understand the hype it gets around here.

Thor 2 The Dark World, a February release, almost doubled Flop Roads WW total...for a "blockbuster" that's quite a poor showing.

Did anyone besides Gaffers see this movie?

Not sure what you're tryna imply here. It's a shame it didn't do better business, but we both know the amount of average movie goers that flock to a movie ain't exactly a good barometer for quality.

"blockbuster" isn't really a type of movie, although we use the term that way. "blockbuster" just means that it made a ton of money and people really liked going to it.

Hidden Figures could be described as "blockbuster," honestly.

Probably has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom