• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road = Bourne Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP90

nuhjKTB.gif

Fury road was not average.

Pilgrimzero

I can't even remember what happened in the other ones, or which ones I watched.

I did enjoy the last one - mostly because I was expecting it to be complete dogshit.

I remember some. Recall they were fairly boring.

Haven't seen the latest one. Heard Bourne has like 5 minutes of dialogue in the whole film. Found that odd. I'll rent it eventually.

Ultimatum is generally considered the best film in the series. It was also the most successful.

I guess I need to talk to more people about them. They certainly got more formulaic over time and maybe critics confused predictability with quality. I'm happy to be in a minority position here, I think the first film outshines the rest.

Fury Road is the best Mad Max movie. The fact you'd put Thunderdome at the top speaks volumes. I know, personal tastes and all that, but damn.

Also, Tom Hardy shits on Sugar Tits Gibson from a great height.

I guess I need to talk to more people about them. They certainly got more formulaic over time and maybe critics confused predictability with quality. I'm happy to be in a minority position here, I think the first film outshines the rest.

I don't get this.

Why do you need to "talk to more people" about an opinion you have about a movie? As if their views will validate your own. We're not sheep. You think I care that most of the folks in this thread are laughing at me for putting Thunderdome up there? Yes, I think it's a tad better than Road Warrior. Yes I think Mel Gibson plays Mad Max 10x better than Tom Hardy ever could. I'm not running from that opinion or this thread.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Leaving aside the absurd notion that Fury Road is anything less than great and Thunderdome is anything more than average, the Bourne series is one good movie and three terrible sequels. Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the Mad Max films.

And even leaving that aside, if you think Fury Road and Legacy are on par in terms of filmmaking...well, there's no common ground to be found in this conversation, let's put it that way.

I don't get this.

Why do you need to "talk to more people" about an opinion you have about a movie?

Because I think it's fun to do so? Is this really a big mystery? I'm not looking for validation on my own opinions, I find the opinions of others an interesting thing to talk about. I don't share my opinion just to obstinately declare that it will never change, especially over topics as trivial as the quality of Matt Damon vehicles. Why do I have to explain this...I'm not even making fun of you. Check yo tone.
Ok there I made fun of you, a little.

Do people actually not like the original Mad Max? I feel like I'm crazy. It's so good.

Some people don't. Hell, some people don't like Fury Road. I'm sure there's people reading who think Last Crusade is better than Raiders, or that True Lies is better than ALIENS.

It's all sorts of interesting opinions out there. But Mad Max is a good movie. It's sweaty and weird. It's not like the other films in tone or in style, but what it does, it does really well. It's good at making you feel disoriented and paranoid.

Sephzilla

Do people actually not like the original Mad Max? I feel like I'm crazy. It's so good.

I like the original Mad Max, but I kind of feel like it's a lot of great ideas but not necessarily great execution (partially because of the limited budget).

Some people don't. Hell, some people don't like Fury Road. I'm sure there's people reading who think Last Crusade is better than Raiders, or that True Lies is better than ALIENS.

It's all sorts of interesting opinions out there. But Mad Max is a good movie. It's sweaty and weird. It's not like the other films in tone or in style, but what it does, it does really well. It's good at making you feel disoriented and paranoid.

Because Last Crusade is better than Raiders.

So is Temple of Doom.

Last Crusade is better than Raiders.
But Temple of Doom is the best.
Anyway, that last bit is definitely my favorite thing about it. It's a very almost isolation-focused movie, if that makes sense. It's almost Eraserhead-esque in the way it conveys the bleakness of its world while still making the audience wonder what is actually going on and the true nature of the events.
Because Last Crusade is better than Raiders.

So is Temple of Doom.
Hey, look, another sane person.

Sephzilla

Go join OP in the time out corner

I love Raiders but I sort of feel like it has some pacing issues that get overlooked. Plus I don't like that Indy is kind of irrelevant to the finale of the movie. Raiders is also a ripoff of a different movie. Last Crusade perfected the Indy formula in my opinion. Temple of Doom just gets a lot of unwarranted hate, similar to the hate Return of the Jedi gets

/derail

Boney

Banned
The original is also one heck of an independent project as well.
I like The Road Warrior best because of the ending, it's just perfect. Road Warrior has better cinematography but the stunts are on equal footing for me.

Plus it has he greatest failed stunt of all time.
wCVFL2Q.gif

I love Raiders but I sort of feel like it has some pacing issues that get overlooked. Plus I don't like that Indy is kind of irrelevant to the finale of the movie. Raiders is also a ripoff of a different movie. Last Crusade perfected the Indy formula in my opinion. Temple of Doom just gets a lot of unwarranted hate, similar to the hate Return of the Jedi gets

/derail

I agree Temple of Doom gets too much hate. It's kinda racist and some of the characters are annoying, but I love the deviations in setting, it's got some of the best action, and I loved the pulpy "grim" tone. Don't lump it in with Return of the Jedi because it's actually good for more than just the third act.

Last Crusade is fun, but it feels kinda creaky to be honest. It's like a "for the kids" version of Raiders, but without any of the energy and vivacity. Less bold and exciting than Temple of Doom too. It's the worst Indy movie not called Crystal Skull.

Raiders is just the best though.

This thread is one giant derail of hot takes so don't feel bad.

I don't get this.

Why do you need to "talk to more people" about an opinion you have about a movie? As if their views will validate your own. We're not sheep. You think I care that most of the folks in this thread are laughing at me for putting Thunderdome up there? Yes, I think it's a tad better than Road Warrior. Yes I think Mel Gibson plays Mad Max 10x better than Tom Hardy ever could. I'm not running from that opinion or this thread.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom