• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

1 day and 8 hours and finally got a V8. ( had enough scrap to upgrade to 3rd versions )

21241911172_11ac70f727_o.jpg

To anyone who has played far into the game: is there enough scrap that I don't have to worry so much about choosing an upgrade path? Enough to max out all stats/get all improvements?

Lima

To anyone who has played far into the game: is there enough scrap that I don't have to worry so much about choosing an upgrade path? Enough to max out all stats/get all improvements?

Yes you can easily get enough scrap and griffa tokens to completely Max and the Opus.

oktarb

Mad Max or MGS5? I
To those who have played both, which would you recommend?

Well I bought both on the same day. Played Mad Max for 3 hours and played MGSV for 42 hours over the three day weekend.

Mad max will be an easier game to pick up and put down. MGSV wants all your time; needs all your time.

I look forward to playing Mad Max but MGSV is phenomenal. As a side note I enjoy the story but have no idea what's going on or what happened. For me its about the diverse options to play style and the AI.

Mad Max has the vibe for sure but its a little rough around the edges.

zatara

Mad Max or MGS5? I can only really play one right now, and I don't think I'll get to the other until after the fall games rush (so, 2016 realistically).

Keep in mind that I've only played MGS3 (and didn't finish it) and Ground Zeroes, and found both decent. I'm not overall a fan of stealth games, but I enjoy them every once in a while. I also like car combat and open world games (just finishing up The Witcher 3 currently).

I bought both....My problem with Phantom Pain is that the open world design just doesn't do it for me. I love the older MGS games for the linear gameplay with outrageous stupid storylines. I was impressed with how good it looks running at 60fps but that's about it. I just found it boring Afghanistan was just dull. sure it looks awesome but it felt blah.

I picked up Mad Max after reading impressions here and while it has it faults it is just so fun to play. The car combat us awesome, hand to hand is brutal and the world is full of atmosphere. I love just driving around and doing whatever activities I come across, and storms are awesome.

I just want my V8, gonna get it unlocked tonight hopefully. Also to get side burners it says I need to fully clear threat in an area in Jeet's territory, does that mean doing all of the objectives in the area? Including scrap locations.

Moonkeis

I rented this game over the weekend, totally hooked. I was about to pick up MGS as my next game but that's going to be put on hold until I finish this.

nded

To anyone who already beat the game (contains spoilers obv.):

The car you get from Scrotus in the end, + the scene with the photo of Hope and Glory...isn't this basically the beginning of Mad Max: Fury Road?

Does that mean Fury Road begins where Mad Max ends? :d
Yeah, that's the car. It's in every Mad Max thing except Thunderdome though.

Cynn

I love this game. It's so pretty in an on fire and eating maggots kinda way.

Screenshot-Original.png

Everything I own is broken.

Screenshot-Original.png

Im just gonna fly out of here. Keep the V8.

Screenshot-Original.png

I make friends easily.

Screenshot-Original.png

Bad way to wake up.

zatara

I love this game, but l'm sorry, l can't be arsed with those minefields, taking the dog out for a walk just sucks balls.

yeah I did that the first time and just gave up, they could have done so much with on foot movement,an elephant can jump higher than Max.

I love this game, but l'm sorry, l can't be arsed with those minefields, taking the dog out for a walk just sucks balls.

Do they change later or something? I just drive around slowly until he starts barking and then it appears on the screen. Jump out, defuse, jump back in. Minefields take a few minutes tops (like I say, unless they change later, or there are minefields you can't get the buggy to?)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Do they change later or something? I just drive around slowly until he starts barking and then it appears on the screen. Jump out, defuse, jump back in. Minefields take a few minutes tops (like I say, unless they change later, or there are minefields you can't get the buggy to?)
I didn't realise he actually points in the direction of the mine while he sits in the back. I was driving in circles getting super frustrated and having my own (real) dogs going nuts at his barking, until I realised if you watch him he points to the mine. I clear them pretty quickly now.

Are there on-foot only ones later?

Really fun game so far.

That said, some graphics thoughts. Playing this game on PS4. I was surprised to read that it's 1080p, because it doesn't look like it to me. Not as crisp as Witcher 3, Until Dawn, MGSV, etc. A bit washed out/blurry. Also, the graphics just don't look that great to me. Worse than the three games mentioned above, though those are all great looking games. Anyone else feel the same way? I'm hoping for more from Just Cause 3, Avalanche's other open world game.

Pudge

I didn't realise he actually points in the direction of the mine while he sits in the back. I was driving in circles getting super frustrated and having my own (real) dogs going nuts at his barking, until I realised if you watch him he points to the mine. I clear them pretty quickly now.

Are there on-foot only ones later?

Nope, all the minefields have to be done in the buggy. It's the only thing that happens with the dog too, which I thought was kind of a waste. But what are you going to do.

Lima

Anyone else have Max's hair and beard progress through the game? I started with the short hair and beard. Half way through I used the second option and now end game I'm using the full hobo option.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Nope, all the minefields have to be done in the buggy. It's the only thing that happens with the dog too, which I thought was kind of a waste. But what are you going to do.
Yeah, I can definitely see the rushed elements of the game - some of them are quite glaring though it hasn't dulled the appeal for me. But I agree - going back to the stronghold just to get the buggy and pooch seems drawn out.

Yeah, I can definitely see the rushed elements of the game - some of them are quite glaring though it hasn't dulled the appeal for me. But I agree - going back to the stronghold just to get the buggy and pooch seems drawn out.

one thing they could have done was make a pop-up happen once you're close to a minefield and have it be "call for buggy"...then a person from the stronghold brings it to you in a cutscene or something

Just finished it. A great game! I had a bunch of fun with it. I only have scrap locations left and their associated artifacts, also death races.

My two beasts.

753E50FB86F2EF2CAE05277A4EF68EA57C5EB060

Cowlick

Banned
You should be able to use the dog to sniff out dog food!

But then you'd have to eat it in front of the dog and the dog would be all like
hqdefault.jpg

JTripper

How long is this game's story? I just started it last night after spending 60 hours playing Phantom Pain within the last week.

I'm kind of in an open-world fatigue right now cause of Metal Gear which makes me not wanna play Mad Max much, but I still wanna beat it.

MrHoot

I'm planning on getting it next month or something (my budget exploded this week on until dawn, MGS stuff, and some vita games and tearaway) but it does look really damn good.

Like Shadows of Mordor, it looks like a surprise cult hit for me. I think it's a game that might do very well on future steam sales for examples as people will be done with bigger games and will want a piece of the cake themselves.

It's extremely unlucky for it to come out at the same time as one of the biggest video games franchises (as well as other games like Mario maker) but also, in some way, the same year and after Fury Road, because it set the bar so high for anything mad max related now, and a lot of people (especially the polygon review) seem to compare it straight to that

jediyoshi

I'm kind of in an open-world fatigue right now cause of Metal Gear which makes me not wanna play Mad Max much, but I still wanna beat it.

The fatigue MGSV gave me was running into a location on the map and then, from knowing how the game was structured, dreading the fact that I'd be returning to that spot 5-6 times doing slightly different things. The part I like about Mad Max is that every location I take over will be the last time I need to head to a specific spot. I think liberal use of the quick travel would help get over it.

Well I guess the argument here is how much you aren't a fan of stealth games and if you're willing to play one now. Because Mad Max is like not a stealth game whatsoever and a great time sink. MGSV has the bigger production values I guess but it seems to be dividing a small group of people who are highly disappointed with its execution. From what I've seen Mad Max players seem to have a higher percentage of enjoying the title, but we are a smaller group.

While I'm loving Metal Gear and have yet to even pop the shrink-wrap on Mad Max, I have to say that MGS is a huge time investment. There's so much game. I've been playing since it came out and I'm currently sitting at 25% completion. I think there may actually be too much game, here.

mujun

Well I bought both on the same day. Played Mad Max for 3 hours and played MGSV for 42 hours over the three day weekend.

Mad max will be an easier game to pick up and put down. MGSV wants all your time; needs all your time.

I look forward to playing Mad Max but MGSV is phenomenal. As a side note I enjoy the story but have no idea what's going on or what happened. For me its about the diverse options to play style and the AI.

Mad Max has the vibe for sure but its a little rough around the edges.

I'm the opposite. MGSV can be very tedious in spots. I hate travelling from one place to another, it takes forever and bores me to tears.

Also don't like the save system, it's really inflexible and demands that you put in large chunks of time at points whether you want to or not.

Mad Max on the other hand is, as you said, easy to get into quickly and out of. There is heaps to do, the world looks beautiful and the combat both on foot and in vehicle is fun.

This game looks and sounds incredible! I can't wait to play this, but I've got to get through MGSV first. Can anyone tell me if they implemented a filter that makes the game look more like Fury Road? That was the one thing I really wanted to see changed after seeing screenshots and trailers early on.

freefornow

Gold Member
Just finished it. A great game! I had a bunch of fun with it. I only have scrap locations left and their associated artifacts, also death races.

My two beasts.

753E50FB86F2EF2CAE05277A4EF68EA57C5EB060

Awesome!
As much as I like how the Magnum Opus ends up, I just cant go past the classic Interceptor as my vehicle of choice.

Yopis

Mad Max or MGS5? I can only really play one right now, and I don't think I'll get to the other until after the fall games rush (so, 2016 realistically).

Keep in mind that I've only played MGS3 (and didn't finish it) and Ground Zeroes, and found both decent. I'm not overall a fan of stealth games, but I enjoy them every once in a while. I also like car combat and open world games (just finishing up The Witcher 3 currently).

Go with Metal Gear. Have both right now Mad Max is a fun competent game. Polished in some areas and familiar. Metal Gear is a slow starter but once it opens up it's nuts. So many different scenarios with changing variables. In a way its own genre imo. Neither are perfect but if only one Mgs.

KAP151

Anyone's in game map just stop working?

Mine doesnt work at all. On XB1.

Its not my controller, tested Rare reply and the view button works fine. Also checked the in game settings, map if keyed to the view button. Not that I changed the setup anyway....

What the fuck?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Anyone's in game map just stop working?

Mine doesnt work at all. On XB1.

Its not my controller, tested Rare reply and the view button works fine. Also checked the in game settings, map if keyed to the view button. Not that I changed the setup anyway....

What the fuck?

I haven't had that happen, but I've noticed a few bugs on XB1. Sometimes the mission objective doesn't update on the screen, even though I've moved on several steps past what it is telling me to do. Also, I cleared a caravan and the game kept telling me to find the caravan, while pointing to the flaming wreck of the car. In all instances, restarting cleared the issue.

Is the map issue persisting after restart?

KAP151

I haven't had that happen, but I've noticed a few bugs on XB1. Sometimes the mission objective doesn't update on the screen, even though I've moved on several steps past what it is telling me to do. Also, I cleared a caravan and the game kept telling me to find the caravan, while pointing to the flaming wreck of the car. In all instances, restarting cleared the issue.

Is the map issue persisting after restart?

Yeah, rebooted and same issue. Apparently its happening on PS4/Steam as well. No idea how to fix it though.

Edit: Fixed it. You have to trigger a animation IE, get fuel can, eat dog food etc. I got the jerry can out the back of the car and its back. What a weird glitch.

Top Bottom