• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalt

god lord I was so salty. I lost the finals of a draft because I didn't read my opponent's endbringer and decided not to use Devour in Flames on it because I had already used tightening coils and didn't want to double up.

If we decide to go with the thread subtitle "Blue's Clues", then
KnwO6HO.png

saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalt

god lord I was so salty. I lost the finals of a draft because I didn't read my opponent's endbringer and decided not to use Devour in Flames on it because I had already used tightening coils and didn't want to double up.

Endbringer is god. Might be the best regular rare in limited.

JulianImp

It fills the same role as Nephalia Drownyard, but is in the wrong colors and was just so much worse. Drownyarding yourself was a real thing with Snapcasters around.

It was also ridiculously expensive to activate on top of being a late-game finisher card in aggro colors, which certainly didn't help matters.

OnPoint

It was also ridiculously expensive to activate on top of being a late-game finisher card in aggro colors, which certainly didn't help matters.

Yeah I think the cost is what hurts it most. Two-mana seems too good. Three mana seems OK. Four is a bit much, but five? No one will play that. And they didn't.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198072809]Endbringer is god. Might be the best regular rare in limited.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just haven't seen it in so long that I stupidly forgot what it did and lost the game to it. I wasn't really close in Game 2 anyways, but I played that game like shit due to tilt anyways.

I mean, I lost a game where I got Jori En out, drew cards off of her maybe 4 times, cast Tyrant of Valukut for its surge cost and played a Reality Smasher and still lost because I just made a really stupid punt. I can deal with "drew bad cards" or "fucked up the draft" but that was a 3-0 draft deck for sure.

JulianImp

not to mention that there's already this, if only it weren't cipt

58.jpg

And that hits creatures as well. A land with repeatable six-mana removal could've shut weenie decks out if it ever got online though, but still... five mana plus the bloodhall was overkill when all the others had way cheaper abilities or threatened way more than two damage a turn (gotta love my Gavony Townships).

And that hits creatures as well. A land with repeatable six-mana removal could've shut weenie decks out if it ever got online though, but still... five mana plus the bloodhall was overkill when all the others had way cheaper abilities or threatened way more than two damage a turn (gotta love my Gavony Townships).

Actually saw and still sees some play in budget lists.

Yeah man new Jace is bonkers. Never thought we'd see the day there'd be a mono-red Jace but there it is.

I was actually considering a Dimir Jace after the SoI trailer.

OnPoint

I was actually considering a Dimir Jace after the SoI trailer.

He's gonna be mono-blue until the day they stop making Jace. He's totally more UW anyway, and his "nemesis" is UB (Tezzeret or "evil Jace" Ashiok, take your pick).

Plus adding black to a PW has already been done to death (Garruk, Sarkhan, Tezzeret)

They're going to have to kill off one of the 5 sooner than later. Everybody knows you can't have heroes without a villain and you can't have a proper villain without death. So, who does Bobby kill off? I'm guessing Nissa since we're not going back to Zendikar.

I thought someone here was saying Chandra seems primed for a kill-off. But I can't remember who or why.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
They're going to have to kill off one of the 5 sooner than later. Everybody knows you can't have heroes without a villain and you can't have a proper villain without death. So, who does Bobby kill off? I'm guessing Nissa since we're not going back to Zendikar.

Angry Grimace

Jace is pretty clearly UW at this point given he's the defacto leader of the Azorius (I guess Isperia exists, just not in a way that matters).

I do expect a UW Jace, I just don't expect it until Return to Return to Ravnica many blocks from now.

He's gonna be mono-blue until the day they stop making Jace. He's totally more UW anyway, and his "nemesis" is UB (Tezzeret or "evil Jace" Ashiok, take your pick).

Plus adding black to a PW has already been done to death (Garruk, Sarkhan, Tezzeret)

Agreed on all fronts, just made me think about it, i'd welcome radical changes between renditions though. I know it won't happen but it'd be nice. Problem is that PW cards are somehow supposed to be a long term representation when they could just as well be just a short moment.

Kill Lili so dark Elspeth can take her place.

Toxi

Banned
If you're talking about the Lorwyn 5, Ajani is totally next on the chopping block. He's the least popular of them for some reason and his story arc is finished.

If you mean the Origins 5, yeah, Nissa would be my first guess. It's not like anyone likes her pre- or post-racist retcon. She was a racist idiot in Teeth of Akoum and a boring hippie in the Battle for Zendikar block.

They're going to have to kill off one of the 5 sooner than later. Everybody knows you can't have heroes without a villain and you can't have a proper villain without death.

They're not going to kill one of the Origins five any time in the next, say, five years, they just put all this effort into making them the leads From A Brand Perspective. This is what redshirts were invented for, they've got plenty of other PWs they can off for the "you killed my third cousin's barber's roommate!" effect.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
They're not going to kill one of the Origins five any time in the next, say, five years, they just put all this effort into making them the leads From A Brand Perspective. This is what redshirts were invented for, they've got plenty of other PWs they can off for the "you killed my third cousin's barber's roommate!" effect.

Nissa = Tasha Yar

Angry Grimace

The ending of Theros block was intentionally vague. Which is good because mechanically I have my doubts that there is a lot of demand to go there again. Yes, I know it sold well.

Xenagos isn't a PW anymore and Heliod gave up his body that was supposedly a PW.

I'd really like for some PW to be less monumental and more in the moment. Like say Jace gets wounded in Eldritch Moon and hence his abilities are more about staying hidden and defensively. Chandra gets captured and put in shackles and her abilities revolve around destroying artifacts etc. Would make for much more flexible design and more interesting art than PW in a heroic pose each time.

Nissa = Tasha Yar

By "Tasha Yar" do you mean "the character literally everyone involved regretted killing and said they would change it if they could go back in time"?

The ending of Theros block was intentionally vague. Which is good because mechanically I have my doubts that there is a lot of demand to go there again.

All the strongest complaints they got about the block in market research were, like, "not enough enchantments" and "not enough Greek legends" which is a pretty solid indicator that it's on the "try a second time" side of the line, IMO.

W/B Elspeth?

It's pretty likely.

Xenagos isn't a PW anymore

Well, now, yes, because he's dead. They confirmed he was still a PW after ascending to godhood though.

Angry Grimace

Daxos is a mindless zombie now, so not sure why she'd want to. Then again, she's potentially a mindless zombie now.

Wild mass guessing is that there will be a creature Elspeth in the first set and a Planeswalker version in the small set when Ajani or whomever manages to fix her to whatever extent.

Xenagos isn't a PW anymore and Heliod gave up his body that was supposedly a PW.

I'd really like for some PW to be less monumental and more in the moment. Like say Jace gets wounded in Eldritch Moon and hence his abilities are more about staying hidden and defensively. Chandra gets captured and put in shackles and her abilities revolve around destroying artifacts etc. Would make for much more flexible design and more interesting art than PW in a heroic pose each time.

I thought Heliod not really knowing what a Planeswalker was was why he turned on Elspeth?

All the strongest complaints they got about the block in market research were, like, "not enough enchantments" and "not enough Greek legends" which is a pretty solid indicator that it's on the "try a second time" side of the line, IMO.

Adding to that is that Theros is one of the best examples of the 3 Block problem Wizards had. You have a great start of the Block, a terrible middle block, and a decent third block. Wizards definitely has it on their return to list, and with the cycle being 1 return a year we're probably going to get Return to Theros in 2019/2020. Assuming SoI is that the start of New/Return/New and Innistrad/BFZ are on Cool down, 2017-2020 have probably the following options as returns:

Ravnica, New Phyrexia, Theros, Dominaria, Alara.

I can totally see Dominaria as a 25th Anniversary return set if Wizards does return there.

Angry Grimace

Daxos already "returned" didn't he? In the Commander product?

He returned at the end of the Theros block story (although obviously not with a card). There's plenty of story left on Theros, most of which is probably more interesting than original Theros block:

Elspeth had to overcome a Trial from one of the Gods to enter Nyx. Thassa had essentially promised to let her pass without doing anything (because fuck Xenagos), but instead Elspeth took Erebos' trial and bargained to exchange her life for Daxos's. He took the deal and claimed Elspeth's life after Heliod's betrayal of his Champion, but it proved to be a Faustian Bargain because he gave Daxos back the same way everyone who escapes the Underworld does - as a mindless Returned (Zombie).

The last we heard about Theros was:

1) Ajani was pissed the fuck off about Heliod's perfidy, so he went around telling everyone that the Gods were just random dudes who got their power through worship (e.g. he's a traveling athiest) and trying to sow dischord, which was partially working.

2) Dack Fayden stole a powerful gauntlet from the Boros Legion on Ravnica, but the incomplete gauntlet gave him visions that the other part of it was on Theros. Last we saw, he determined that Erebos had somehow come into possession of it and had entered the Underworld. Ashiok was involved in this somehow, but I don't think they ever finished it.

3) Kruphix revealed that he had the power to know the histories of everything that entered Theros, and had learned and started to freak out about the threat of the Eldrazi, the Phyrexians and Nicol Bolas (which he learned from Kiora, Elspeth and Ajani, respectively).

I can totally see Dominaria as a 25th Anniversary return set if Wizards does return there.

The hints on this one are pretty mild so they might not ever come to anything, but at very least Rosewater's had the same thought since he referred to it offhand in a recent podcast.

1) Ajani was pissed the fuck off about Heliod's perfidy, so he went around telling everyone that the Gods were just random dudes who got their power through worship (e.g. he's a traveling athiest) and trying to sow dischord, which was partially working.

Intense temptation to photoshop a Fedora onto Ajani Steadfast RN.

I really hope that Return to Theros has everyone coming up with their own random gods, who proceed to take form. I'm particularly hoping for a Discworld reference.

Bilious, "Oh God!" of Hangovers - 2R
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God
(Bilious does not have indestructible)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, Bilious deals 3 damage to that player unless he or she discards a card.
2/2

Toxi

Banned
3) Kruphix revealed that he had the power to know the histories of everything that entered Theros, and had learned and started to freak out about the threat of the Eldrazi, the Phyrexians and Nicol Bolas (which he learned from Kiora, Elspeth and Ajani, respectively).
This just reminds me how fucking lame Nicol Bolas is and how completely non-threatening he is as an antagonist.

Angry Grimace

This just reminds me how fucking lame Nicol Bolas is and how completely non-threatening he is as an antagonist.

The problem is that the Phyrexians are the only ones with any kind of actual motive. Bolas just does shit for the evulz.

Honestly not sure why they haven't bothered to even bring him up in what, 7 years (not counting being a random dude in M13).

Bolas should be threatening, but he's done basically shit all since Alara*. Like, he clearly has an interest in the Eldrazi/NeoPhyrexians, but the fact that his "EVUL" plot has no shape doesn't help.

Like, if his plan was this:

• Become All Powerful following the Conflux
  • Release Eldrazi/NeoPhyrexians into the Multiverse
  • show up and save a plane from the force, in exchange for becoming their master
  • Rinse and repeat until he's ruler of the Multiverse

Then sure, he had a plan but no backup which is completely against what he's built as. He needs to actually do something that doesn't end with him being beaten by Ajani.

*FRF is before altar Alara timeline wise, so his "killing" of Ugin doesn't count especially since Ugin's Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom