• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Just looking into this set and I do not like the new mana system, seems like all the cards that use it will be useless in any format outside of the one it shows up in

It really makes me not want to invest in the set that much, but the most recent sets haven't been to appealing to me either

Just looking into this set and I do not like the new mana system, seems like all the cards that use it will be useless in any format outside of the one it shows up in

It really makes me not want to invest in the set that much, but the most recent sets haven't been to appealing to me either

I don't know how these cards will be useless. Maybe not powerful enough for eternal play in some spots. But generating colorless mana has never really been a problem in deck building, largely because on lands it has always been treated as a downside by development.

ElyrionX

They stopped event decks? Granted I haven't bought one since New Phyrexia, but they usually seemed like a pretty decent deal. And was kind of hoping they would release a new modern deck.

These things are mostly pointless because all they did was devalue the cards printed in them. There was virtually no target market for them.

It's not really a mana system and essentially just a new mechanic: spells that require colorless mana to be spent to cast them. It is flavorful for the set but I think it's mainly a bone for EDH players who really need a basic colorless land. Besides, the vast majority of cards that rotate out of Standard will only see play again in EDH if anywhere, and generating colorless mana in EDH is a non-issue.

kirblar

Grab a set of Wasteland Strangler, Oblivion Sower and Blight Herder now. M/M Eldrazi appears to be a real thing in Modern. (Blight Herder promo looks a billion times better than normal version btw.)

Firemind

And my R3 opponent dropped, so I don't even get a chance to play the other 0-2 (I lost R1 to a much better deck and a really bad matchup). I guess I get free pity points, but man...

Historically I've actually been very good at MTGO cubes; this is just a bad run of variance and I'm sure I'll snap out of it, but it's infuriating to lose four straight matches of "I win if they don't have [card]; oh, they do have it, I guess I lose."
I flubbed this cube season so hard at times, but it feels so good when you outplay someone (or in my case accidentally). Did you know Nicol Bolas can destroy himself? Bless Silumgar. Seriously though, Reanimate is legit. Frantic Search is amazing in that deck, oftentimes better than Fact or Fiction. I had a game where my opponent hardcasted Elesh Norn, wiping my board and I followed it up with Frantic Search, discarding fatties, Living Dead, return Mesmeric Fiend and Brain Maggot back with fatties. Next turn, Entomb for Glen Elendra Archmage instead of Griselbrand, Reanimate with mana open. Or how about baby Jace in play with two cards in graveyard, my opponent wants to kill it, I Entomb, loot, transform Jace. Then flashback Ponder the next turn.

Or just force mono red. One drop, followed by one drop, Strip Mine your only land, followed by more weenies or Shrine of Burning Rage, followed by Sulfuric Vortex, crush. Sometimes I first/second/third pick Strip Mine/Wasteland if there's nothing else in the pack or I'm sure the card I want will wheel. Mono red gets no respect sometimes.

Danj

Anyone got any tips on how to beat the Raven Man in Magic Duels story mode (Liliana Vess, 4th mission). Those damn Mindshriekers kick my ass and my cards that destroy stuff either cost more mana than I usually have on the table, or don't come out early enough.

I flubbed this cube season so hard at times, but it feels so good when you outplay someone (or in my case accidentally). Did you know Nicol Bolas can destroy himself? Bless Silumgar. Seriously though, Reanimate is legit. Frantic Search is amazing in that deck, oftentimes better than Fact or Fiction. I had a game where my opponent hardcasted Elesh Norn, wiping my board and I followed it up with Frantic Search, discarding fatties, Living Dead, return Mesmeric Fiend and Brain Maggot back with fatties. Next turn, Entomb for Glen Elendra Archmage instead of Griselbrand, Reanimate with mana open. Or how about baby Jace in play with two cards in graveyard, my opponent wants to kill it, I Entomb, loot, transform Jace. Then flashback Ponder the next turn.

Or just force mono red. One drop, followed by one drop, Strip Mine your only land, followed by more weenies or Shrine of Burning Rage, followed by Sulfuric Vortex, crush. Sometimes I first/second/third pick Strip Mine/Wasteland if there's nothing else in the pack or I'm sure the card I want will wheel. Mono red gets no respect sometimes.

I really just need to force myself to stop drafting green decks. I know in my head that green is way, way worse in Power Cube, but I have a hard time stopping myself when Joraga Treespeaker wheels. :/

Santiako

en_CbX6Q2qeT3.png

New land. Love the flavour with the Old Oran Rief.

edit: old one, for reference:
41mWDqhH3qL._AC_UL320_SR230,320_.jpg

Santiako

d53dQSU.png

Whenever another colorless creature enters the battlefield under your control you can change the base p/t of ~ for the p/t from that creature until eot

Yeef

0002_mtgogw_sp_hrr.png

"Whenever another colorless creature enters in battlefield you can swap the base power and toughtness from Mimic Eldrazi for the power and toughtness from that creature until the end turn"

Understood. I'm kind of surprised - a deck full of 5cc and 6cc guys doesn't sound competitive in Modern. Do you have a list of a basic shell for such a deck? I'm curious how it goes about exiling the opponents' stuff

Wulfric

Haha, that's cute. That playmate is all like "We did it you guys!" Nissan seems impressed by her handiwork. And the promos aren't too shabby either.

I'm not that excited for Oath(outside of the sweet EDH lands), but Chandra, Ayli, Worldbreaker and Kozilek's Return all seem like good constructed cards.

OnPoint

I thought there was an Un-card with a Dunce cap but I can't seem to remember which one it was, if there is one. Anyone have any ideas?

I was disappointed at first by how Ruins of Oran-Rief compared to the original card, but then I realized that affecting every colorless creature would be crazy with all the Scions and especially Hangarback Walker.

Immolating Glare seems like it will see play as a utility spell. Gideon's Reproach does already, though I'm not sure how important its ability to hit blockers is.

Sea Gate Wreckage seems like it could be pretty good. Note that you could potentially activate multiples at the same time.

Anyone got any tips on how to beat the Raven Man in Magic Duels story mode (Liliana Vess, 4th mission). Those damn Mindshriekers kick my ass and my cards that destroy stuff either cost more mana than I usually have on the table, or don't come out early enough.

You might want to try in the Magic Duels thread over on Gaming side. Not many regulars in this thread actually play it, since we started Magic before it came out. However, a general tip from your description would be to use cheaper spells in your deck; though I'm not sure if that's easier said than done.

Firemind

I really just need to force myself to stop drafting green decks. I know in my head that green is way, way worse in Power Cube, but I have a hard time stopping myself when Joraga Treespeaker wheels. :/
It doesn't have to be. I think you kind of need Survival/Nightmare or Channel to make it work against the fast combo decks though. Tooth and Nail and/or Natural Order are also nice to have. Craterhoof is sometimes not enough with one or two creatures, so having Avenger of Zendikar to fetch with it is a thing. A disruption package is also mandatory I think, whether it's counterspells, discard or artifact/land destruction. I've been thoroughly impressed by Nature's Claim. The four life is often negligable and against the aggro decks it can destroy swords or gain 4 life in a pinch. And it destroys mana rocks for one mana. What more can you ask for?

I think the most fun I had was with a Survival/Nightmare deck with Tooth and Nail, Emrakul, Griselbrand. It's so versatile. One game I just fetched my biggest creatures, the other game I fetched Craterhoof and Avenger for the instakill. In the final, I just kept rebuying Kitchen Finks and Thragtusk against mono red. It was glorious. (Thank you, MODO shuffler.)

Yeef

I wonder if we are getting a full cycle of dual colored legends, we already have WB, RG and UR.
I think it's a block cycle, rather than all in Oath.

BFZ already had Munda and Noyan Dar. We already know about Ayli, Jori En and the Mul Daya twins. Based on the story and flavor text from both blocks, I think we'll also see cards for Chadir the Navigator, Tazri and maybe Greenweaver Mina. We might also see a BR Anowon.

OnPoint

I think it's a block cycle, rather than all in Oath.

BFZ already had Munda and Noyan Dar. We already know about Ayli, Jori En and the Mul Daya twins. Based on the story and flavor text from both blocks, I think we'll also see cards for Chadir the Navigator, Tazri and maybe Greenweaver Mina. We might also see a BR Anowon.

We also saw Omanth in GR.

Yeef

We also saw Omanth in GR.
Yeah, but I don't think he's part of the cycle. I think the cycle is of story-relevant characters and he doesn't seem to have any role in the story. We also know that the Mul Daya twins are RG.

[EDIT] Looks like this was just officially spoiled:
en_G3jSeUvKLe.png

Don't know why this article went up after the others.

Chandra is checking out Jace big time on that playmat. Chandrace is happening.

I don't think she is. She's got her arm on Gideon and Jace is smirking. It's more like Chandra said something cheezy like "Not bad for a bunch of almighty teleporting wizards, huh?" and Jace is having a giggle.

More importantly, it really bothers me how bad the light rays are built around Chandra and Gideon. Did WotC add that for the playmat or is that part of the original art?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom