• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

MTGO decided that my P1P1 should be Mother of Runes and declined to give me a choice in the matter. I didn't even get to see what was in the pack, it was like "Sup, here's your MoR, good luck."

OnPoint

Decided to draft Vintage Cube with the girlfriend. Got a kind of weird deck.

kctNX8g.jpg

Match 1 went OK I guess...

I want to put my fist through the wall. I draft a mono-red deck with double moxen, and basically all of the goodies you want save for Vortex. Round one I get paired against a mono-green deck, draw three spells in game one and only two lands in game two (with a four drop, three drop, and a Smash to Smithereens that was never live). This game fucking hates me! :lol

Firemind

I want to put my fist through the wall. I draft a mono-red deck with double moxen, and basically all of the goodies you want save for Vortex. Round one I get paired against a mono-green deck, draw three spells in game one and only two lands in game two (with a four drop, three drop, and a Smash to Smithereens that was never live). This game fucking hates me! :lol
but did you have fireblast?

but did you have fireblast?

Fireblast, Shrine, GG, Swiftspear, Port, Hellrider, etc. It's not the nuts (it's a little too creature heavy for my tastes) but it's really good.

I did just win the second round by targeting my Shrine with my own Smash to get a trigger and then popping Shrine. So that was cool.

I thought they were staying afloat by artificially propping up Legacy with their Open Series and making bank off of flipping singles. Moving away from that seemed like a super risky move to me (although it's possible that the Legacy singles market wasn't doing the business they needed anymore).

OnPoint

I thought they were staying afloat by artificially propping up Legacy with their Open Series and making bank off of flipping singles. Moving away from that seemed like a super risky move to me (although it's possible that the Legacy singles market wasn't doing the business they needed anymore).

I think you got it right. That's why they switched to Modern so abruptly.

kirblar

That's what happens when you stop doing a Legacy tourney every week.

Ashodin

YOu need to build the support to be able to sell cards that support it. It's cyclical.

And they think Modern is the new hotness anyway (which many do) so they want to support that instead.

Gimme actual Commander tournaments. It's not a Casual format if you cover the pods!

Well, I did win the second two rounds (didn't even drop a game), so at least I finally got even money.

I think you got it right. That's why they switched to Modern so abruptly.

They should just go all-in on Modern then; go back to the old system and do Standard day one, Modern day two (or flip flop; who cares). Or something.

That's what happens when you stop doing a Legacy tourney every week.

They definitely killed Legacy by dropping the Opens, but I wonder if their singles business was already starting to slow down before that happened. Otherwise it just seems like a case of not understanding your own business (or perhaps just expanding too fast).

Also, anecdotally I used to watch every single Legacy open in 2014. I barely watched anything they produced in 2015.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Having no Standard deck was pretty lame on MTGO so I used some of the tix I retained for the Modern year drafting to get a Standard deck. I have no willpower. But at least I cashed out on a ton of stuff like K-Com that went up a ton.

(I'll feel like shit when I buy them again next year)

OnPoint

Lost in the finals, game three, cast Armageddon turn 4 with 2 creatures out to his none. Got him down to 7. He drew and played a land every turn and pulled out. I drew no lands for the rest of the game. Oh, sweet sweet irony. Do I at least get a free cube draft out of this? I'm new to it.

Was super happy though that none of my opponents were salty and everyone had a fun time tonight. They were all chatty and it was a good time.

Hero

Yeah, I used to consistently watch the Legacy Open series but when they moved away from that I stopped caring.

Feels like they made too abrupt of a shift and are paying the price for it. Don't see Modern replacing Legacy at all still.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lost in the finals, game three, cast Armageddon turn 4 with 2 creatures out to his none. Got him down to 7. He drew and played a land every turn and pulled out. I drew no lands for the rest of the game. Oh, sweet sweet irony. Do I at least get a free cube draft out of this? I'm new to it.

Was super happy though that none of my opponents were salty and everyone had a fun time tonight. They were all chatty and it was a good time.

You get 100 Play Points for 2-1 unless it was a Single Elim, in which case you get like 160.

Yeah, I used to consistently watch the Legacy Open series but when they moved away from that I stopped caring.

Feels like they made too abrupt of a shift and are paying the price for it. Don't see Modern replacing Legacy at all still.

Modern replaced Legacy like 2 years ago actually

Legacy is a dumpster fire made of Reserved List bullshit

Angry Grimace

I got 100. Is that enough to go again when I'm ready?

It's 100 to enter, so yeah. I usually do Swiss if I have time since 2-1 is usually pretty doable even if you fuck up the first round because players in the Swiss fuck up their attempts to make combo decks a lot.

OnPoint

It's 100 to enter, so yeah. I usually do Swiss if I have time since 2-1 is usually pretty doable even if you fuck up the first round because players in the Swiss fuck up their attempts to make combo decks a lot.

Gotcha. I'll keep that in mind.

This last draft, I ended up with a crazy weird white/black weenie deck with lots of removal, some discard, and Armageddon. Also 4 Swords for my weenies, and Jitte. It was shockingly nasty. Felt stupid for not taking combo until I saw how I performed.

Angry Grimace

I'm making Abzan ??????? right now

I was hoping for Craterhoof/Natural Order shenanigans, but I never saw either and ended up having to diversify into a pretty bad midrange thing. I'd be surprised if I don't cop a free win or two off Karn though.

I figured I was being cut off, but the I saw a ton of mana elves P3.

Angry Grimace

I have Strip Mine and Crucible of Worlds in my deck. This probably tells you a lot about my chances to win.

(I really wanted Fastbond for the ultimate troll)

Joe Molotov

Mono Red (+Mother of Runes?) ftw. I feel like I got really lucky and had more openings that went T1 Jackal Pup/Rakdos Cackler, T2 Eidolon/Chainwalker, and T3 Sulfuric Vortex/Chandra's Phoenix than I probably deserved, but it was my first attempt, so I'm pretty happy with a 3-0.

SuCsbkO.png

Angry Grimace

I beat the guy who failed to assemble Storm.
KuGsj.gif

Getting closer to locking it in for the GP:

4coisw4.png

Only one week of testing left.

I beat the guy who failed to assemble Storm.
KuGsj.gif

The big problem with drafting storm is that it's hard to back into another archetype if the cards aren't coming. Unless it's another combo deck like Twin or something else inconsistent.

ultron87

I like that the Channel Fireball cube videos this week have shown the myriad of ways one can lose with Storm.

Pardee's deck was insaaaaane.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";190763750]Getting closer to locking it in for the GP:

4coisw4.png

Only one week of testing left.

The big problem with drafting storm is that it's hard to back into another archetype if the cards aren't coming. Unless it's another combo deck like Twin or something else inconsistent.[/QUOTE]

The problem with Storm is that it sucks. Saying its good if you get every good card is meaningless because every archetype in any draft format is good if you get every single card for it.

Angry Grimace

Lost to "Guy who gets Dack Fayden out every game while I get nothing but land"

Angry Grimace

Here you go:

The card you will probably open at Prerelease:

zgskqkk.png

Angry Grimace

Huh, I can't believe that was actually card art. Anyway, I'm can tell that card will be appealing for casual play, but there's a practically 0% chance of it seeing Constructed play.

You will probably open a bunch of these.

Yeef

Call of the Gatewatch will probably be playable in Magic Duels where you are restricted to one of each planeswalker.
I'm skeptical. There aren't many tutors in Duels (excluding land tutors). There also aren't many planeswalkers; this can't search up the origins ones because they're creatures.

I like to think Cockatrice is better than nothing when it comes to testing draft, but I just got a deck that had these cards:

• Ancestral Recall(passed to me)
  • Black Lotus
  • Mana Vault
  • Chrome Mox
  • Tinker(wheeled)
  • Show And Tell
  • Griselbrand
  • Emrakul
  • Gifts Ungiven(wheeled)
  • Unburial Rites(wheeled)
  • Eternal Witness
  • Snapcaster Mage
  • Oath of Druids

Angry Grimace

a lot of those cards wheel all the time dude.

The Recall is the only one that stands out as weird to get passed.

Also, went 2-1 again thanks to Karn + hitting a Primeaval Titan and then + hitting a Craterhoof. Yeah that wasn't gonna go great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom