• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but I don't think he's part of the cycle. I think the cycle is of story-relevant characters and he doesn't seem to have any role in the story. We also know that the Mul Daya twins are RG.

[EDIT] Looks like this was just officially spoiled:
en_G3jSeUvKLe.png

Don't know why this article went up after the others.

Even for Tuesdays, I thought that having just one non-feature article was odd.

Now that Ayli has been officially spoiled, I say she has a good chance of seeing play, especially after rotation. If nothing else, she turns all of your lands into Diamond Valley.
Image.ashx

As for Liliana, I still think that once she succeeds in killing all of her demons, Garruk will attack her and they'll end up killing each other.

ultron87

How did I end up with 132 play points on MTGO? Like, cool, that's a cube draft, but it seems difficult to spend the extra 2.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why do you think this?

If we run on the assumption the story will have an end for any of the characters, she's an asshole.

How did I end up with 132 play points on MTGO? Like, cool, that's a cube draft, but it seems difficult to spend the extra 2.

They had some linear formula to convert Phantom Points into Play Points.

I've been working on a Meren EDH deck and it is coming along nicely.

So when Viridian Emissary (2/1, fetches a land when he dies) is given Persist by Cauldron of Souls, then dies, I assume he fetches a second land when he bounces back to the battlefield and then back to the graveyard?

ultron87

So when Viridian Emissary (2/1, fetches a land when he dies) is given Persist by Cauldron of Souls, then dies, I assume he fetches a second land when he bounces back to the battlefield and then back to the graveyard?

That's correct. It'll be on the battlefield for a tiny amount of time, but that's long enough to count as dying.

In his preview article for Nissa, Patrick Chapin is trying so so hard to say something nice about her. He makes abstract and disjointed arguments and throws anything together to encourage people to try her in... Something.

"She's three mana! Those are good!"
"Her minus is a better rate on an unplayable card! Better rates are good, I guess."
"Her ult is almost an Ugin. So, yeah."
"If it weren't for wanting to play her origins card more, she's a solid maybe in a forced superfriends deck. Brew it?"

kirblar

In his preview article for Nissa, Patrick Chapin is trying so so hard to say something nice about her. He makes abstract and disjointed arguments and throws anything together to encourage people to try her in... Something.

"She's three mana! Those are good!"
"Her minus is a better rate on an unplayable card! Better rates are good, I guess."
"Her ult is almost an Ugin. So, yeah."
"If it weren't for wanting to play her origins card more, she's a solid maybe in a forced superfriends deck. Brew it?"
It's the shortest Chapin article ever! Mostly because there's very little that's nice to say about her.

Origins didn't do well: http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/32837/magic-down-hasbro-q3 Sales down.

(Not really surprised.)

This seems to say that it did well.
Goldner also pointed to some positive Magic metrics, calling Magic Origins, released in Q3, the biggest summer set release in the game’s history, revealing that the Battle of Zendikar pre-release was the best-attended pre-release ever, and noting that the number of hobby stores carrying Magic was up over a year ago.

EDIT: Also, this article is from October, about a week after the release of Battle for Zendikar.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Starcity has nissa for preorder at 15 bucks. That's higher than kozilek. Madness.

Nissa is outright bad and Kozilek is probably a 1-of in Ulamog decks in Standard and/or Modern.

Nissa is probably one of the worst PW I've seen from a design perspective. I legit don't get what they were doing other than trying to make a PW for the Support ability.

This is how I would list the 3 mana planeswalkers from good to bad:

Liliana of the Veil
Jace Beleren
Domri Rade
Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Nissa, Vastwood Seer
Liliana, Heretical Healer
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar

What if there's an Arbor Elf reprint?

The weirdest thing about the 1 mana dorks for me is that they decided to switch to land-ramp, except land based ramp is pretty difficult to actually interact with, whereas its very easy to interact with creature based ramp.

Danj

Magic Duels again, now stuck on Liliana Vess mission 5, where you have to fight 4 dudes in a row without a break (and if you die you have to do all 4 over again) - anyone got any tips?

Angry Grimace

Nissa should have just had a +2 instead of a +1.

Angry Grimace

How is Nissa 15 dollars but Goblin Dark Dwellers is 2 bucks

I guess people don't like free stuff with the 4/4s with evasion :(

Angry Grimace

Planeswalker preorder prices are always inflated.

I just think this is a card that compares pretty favorably to Stormbreath Dragon, and could be involved in some horseshit shenanigans since every sorcery or instant played in constructed is typically powerful.

Fou-Lu

I am considering looking into MTGO. Is it still popular? Are card and booster prices equivalent? What kind of game modes are available? Do you earn anything from just playing or is it all gotten by paying real money?

Angry Grimace

I am considering looking into MTGO. Is it still popular? Are card and booster prices equivalent? What kind of game modes are available? Do you earn anything from just playing or is it all gotten by paying real money?

Prices are the same on MTGO as in real life due to the fact that you can convert the digital cards into real ones.

I like it, but most people hate the concept and the client (the client is actually fine now, but most people haven't touched it since they launched V.4 and it was a mess at the time)

Angry Grimace

Using M/M instead of C/C - there are a lot of variants (W/B, B/R, Mono-B, U/B) with the same shell.

Can't you just use "x" since people write "G/B/x" to describe decks with variable splashes all the time?

Firemind

dat feeling when you p1p1 ancestral recall and blue gets cut off.

Prices are the same on MTGO as in real life due to the fact that you can convert the digital cards into real ones.

I like it, but most people hate the concept and the client (the client is actually fine now, but most people haven't touched it since they launched V.4 and it was a mess at the time)
Cards are much cheaper to buy in though. They're digital though which is a turnoff for some people.

You can earn packs and play points by playing, but due to some changes in the past, it's much more difficult to go 'infinite' now.

Danj

You might want to try in the Magic Duels thread over on Gaming side. Not many regulars in this thread actually play it, since we started Magic before it came out. However, a general tip from your description would be to use cheaper spells in your deck; though I'm not sure if that's easier said than done.

Oh, sorry, didn't realise there was a dedicated Magic Duels thread. I'll take myself over there, thanks.

Firemind

Everyone sure has a hard on for blue. I got slaughtered by u/w in the first round. Red on the other hand was super open. Recall tricked me!

Everyone sure has a hard on for blue. I got slaughtered by u/w in the first round. Red on the other hand was super open. Recall tricked me!

You know what card is stupid good in a deck full of 1 and 2 mana cards? Ancestral Recall. If you pick up Volcanic and its ilk, Recall is bonkers in mono red.

ultron87

I won a match of Cube with Blue/White flicker nonsense + equipment! Feels too fair to go far though. Also my mana base is garbage considering how much double white and double blue there is.

I'd never played with Brago before. He's fun when he is flickering Flickerwhisp, Jace, and Frost Titan. Almost had him flickering Treachery too but forgot my opponent's Venser the Sojourner says "you own" and not "you control" for his plus.

Firemind

You know what card is stupid good in a deck full of 1 and 2 mana cards? Ancestral Recall. If you pick up Volcanic and its ilk, Recall is bonkers in mono red.
drawing three cards versus playing creatures and attacking. idk man

alright i should have followed my heart

I just think this is a card that compares pretty favorably to Stormbreath Dragon, and could be involved in some horseshit shenanigans since every sorcery or instant played in constructed is typically powerful.
I don't disagree. If anything, I'm thankful it's being slept on as it'll make buying in that much easier.

Angry Grimace

dat feeling when you p1p1 ancestral recall and blue gets cut off.

Cards are much cheaper to buy in though. They're digital though which is a turnoff for some people.

You can earn packs and play points by playing, but due to some changes in the past, it's much more difficult to go 'infinite' now.

Splashing for Recall is usually reasonable though. There's very few decks where I'm not going to try and splash for the most powerful card in the game.

Firemind

sonuvabitch got trolled by armageddon just when i was about to cast my game-winning spell

edit: lol third draft i get recall again

edit2: sonuva red got cut this time

Angry Grimace

26 Lands in deck: lol all you get is land
25 Lands in deck: FUCK YOU NO LANDS

ultron87

Made it to the finals and got Splinter Twinned out after fighting through Isochron Sceptre w/ Fire/Ice. Could've actually beaten it if I hadn't tapped wrong which resulted in not being able to play a Banisher Priest because they played the Pestermite before combat. Oh well, that earned me another Cube at least!

I also enjoyed reminding myself/learning on the fly what things can protect a creature from The Abyss and the weird ass templating it has. Thing such as Mother of Runes (shuts it down completely), and Sword of Light and Shadow or Geist of St. Traft (which only protect themselves and you still have to choose another creature).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom