• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Square Enix game in production as a Sony exclusive, reveal soon

Most of their AAA games are exclusives. Just buy them Jim
They already have exclusive DLC with The Avengers, FFVIIR is console exclusive and was full exclusive for over a year. Sony had marketing rights for Guardians of The Galaxy, Forspoken is a PS5 exclusive (for now at least), now there's a new PS5 exclusive on the way. I'm not even mentioning how all Final Fantasy games from VII until XII that are now on PSNow. The next FFVIIR i'd bet they got the same deal as the first part as well.
FFXIV is console exclusive to Sony as well.

Honestly i don't know how this hasn't happened yet. The fact Sony also has most businesses that Square-Enix has (including anime) it seems like a no brainer.

After witnessing Take-Two buying another company for 12 billion, i wouldn't be surprised by anything Sony would do, lmao.

Zok310

Banned
Sony giving money to SE is dumb as shit for the type of company PlayStation have become. They dont need to pay for 3rd party exclusives, either buy them for their ip then give the ip to your 1st party studios or take that money and invest it into you 1st party studios.

Sony giving money to SE is dumb as shit for the type of company PlayStation have become. They dont need to pay for 3rd party exclusives, either buy them for their ip then give the ip to your 1st party studios or take that money and invest it into you 1st party studios.
What? Why do you think games like Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X, XII were released on Playstation first? They also did deals like those for franchises like Tomb Raider, GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, etc...this didn't just start to happen now. Sony is probably the biggest one at making 3rd party timed exclusive deals but all of them do.
It's about these IPs being connected to Playstation. Why do you think Sony has exclusive DLC for The Avengers and marketing rights for Guardians of the Galaxy? They want to be seen as the "go to" place for all Marvel stuff since they also have a successful IP with Spider-Man.

They've always been incredibly strategic about this. Biggest games out there? Fifa, Fortnite, COD. Sony has marketing deals with all of them.

Last edited:

Valonquar

Vqr2PZW.jpg

Obviously moneyhatting 3rd party games is always shitty, but of all the publishers to be moneyhatted off of Xbox, Square Enix is probably the one I'm most fine with. Seems like wasted money for Sony

It’s going to be from the classic enix moments series in NFT form where former nintendo president hiroshi yamauchi once stated.

[People who play RPGs are] "depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."

But they’re going to clarify that he was talking about the dragon quest series since it was likely the most popular rpg in japan at the time of this quote.

Fredrik

Obviously moneyhatting 3rd party games is always shitty, but of all the publishers to be moneyhatted off of Xbox, Square Enix is probably the one I'm most fine with. Seems like wasted money for Sony
What about Tomb Raider? It would be a big loss, the IP feels more at home on Xbox for me at this point. I played the original saga on Playstation but Legend and Underworld on Xbox, TR2013 on PS, and the latest two was played on Xbox.

What about Tomb Raider? It would be a big loss, the IP feels more at home on Xbox for me at this point. I played the original saga on Playstation but Legend and Underworld on Xbox, TR2013 on PS, and the latest two was played on Xbox.

I don't want any 3rd party games to be exclusive, and I genuinely feel for people who would miss out on them, but for me personally, losing Tomb Raider wouldn't be that big of a deal, unless they reboot it again. Deus Ex would be the big loss for me, but I don't know when we're getting another one anyways. And like I said, I don't want exclusives, I hate whenever any company buys exclusives without owning the studio., I just think outside of maybe Capcom, Square Enix is the 3rd party publisher I have the least interest in, especially since most of the exclusives tend to be from the Japanese studios

We still doing this stupid freaking complaining about buying exclusives AFTER Microsoft bought a WHOLE FREAKING PUBLISHER!?!?!

Buying a studio and/or publisher is fundamentally different than buying exclusives. Buying exclusives is done with the sole intent to lock out other people from playing the game. Buying a studio/publisher actually has the ability to improve the studio/publisher, improve the games, provide much needed funding to a company, and in Xbox's case specifically, increase their Game Pass catalog. Buying Bethesda was not done to keep Playstation fans from playing Bethesda games, that's just an unfortunate side effect. Moneyhatting exclusives does nothing to improve the product, buying studios at least theoretically improves the product. That's why there's a difference. I have 0 problems in the slightest about Sony's studios they've bought, even if they bought somebody like Square or Capcom, and even if I'm less vocal I promise whenever Xbox buys exclusives I'm 100% equally against it. This isn't Xbox vs Playstation, it's me just hating buying exclusivity to games that wouldn't be exclusive otherwise

Perrott

Gold Member
It has to be a Versus revival of sorts, I'm putting all my money into it.

No other SE title would be big enough to potentially drive attention away from FFXVI.

Kagey K

Banned
It has to be a Versus revival of sorts, I'm putting all my money into it.

No other SE title would be big enough to potentially drive attention away from FFXVI.
Or it's one guy creating a rumor to get a bit of clout.

The OP source and the reddit source are both the same guy.

If he's wrong "things change" if he's right "told ya."

Better to not put any stock in this kind of stuff.

Last edited:

SSfox

We need something cool like new Nier, or something dope from SE or any other great dev to show up in this era where 90% of new games looks boring AF.

Kimahri

Banned
Aside from the hate I carry for third party exclusives, I'd have no issue with this if it wasn't for the well known fact that it`s IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A PLAYSTATION 5

SSfox

Yoko Taro says NieR is done. Which is a shame

Well I'm fine with it as long as he will give us another magical game like he knows how to make, maybe another Drakengard with a good budget or even new IP from him, that would be super dope.

I'm not gonna lie I would love to see another Nier game, but if the father of the franchise isn't too motivate to make another one (at least for now) then give us something dope else.

Last edited:

DarthPutin

Navtra also seemed to tease something of sorts (Sony and SE deeper plans) while she was still around. So it's probably true. Doesn't mean it's a big deal, just some temp exclusive, I just want to know what it is. New Nier? (I dunno if I trust that above is for realz), new Parasite Eve? (don't know franchise but it looks cool), Chrono Cross remake? Something totally new? We just know it's not FF.

Akuji

Buying a studio and/or publisher is fundamentally different than buying exclusives. Buying exclusives is done with the sole intent to lock out other people from playing the game. Buying a studio/publisher actually has the ability to improve the studio/publisher, improve the games, provide much needed funding to a company, and in Xbox's case specifically, increase their Game Pass catalog. Buying Bethesda was not done to keep Playstation fans from playing Bethesda games, that's just an unfortunate side effect. Moneyhatting exclusives does nothing to improve the product, buying studios at least theoretically improves the product. That's why there's a difference. I have 0 problems in the slightest about Sony's studios they've bought, even if they bought somebody like Square or Capcom, and even if I'm less vocal I promise whenever Xbox buys exclusives I'm 100% equally against it. This isn't Xbox vs Playstation, it's me just hating buying exclusivity to games that wouldn't be exclusive otherwise
You can Do brain gymnastics however you like. But ms did buy bethesda to have those games on their Plattform and playstations doesnt. Its a multi Billion Dollar Deal. I mean... obviously.

But i think its fine. Both Companies Do crazy anti consumer shit. I just distance myself enough to only care for what i enjoy

Neither is your friend.

Honestly PlayStation can keep square, I’m not into anything they make outside of FF14 and I can get that on PC. I don’t exactly get excited when final fantasy games pop up on Xbox gamepass, I’m not a fan of Neir. Marvel Avengers wasn’t great and Outriders was a nice distraction I didn’t pay for on gamepass.

I wonder what it is? What sells well on PlayStation and not others and isn't final fantasy? More kingdom hearts? Or more a western game? A new ip would be best.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Its odd that FFVII never made it to Xbox. Even the PC version is fairly old by now and its original release has been almost 2 years ago. I doubt it will come unless its the whole package once all parts are out.

You can Do brain gymnastics however you like. But ms did buy bethesda to have those games on their Plattform and playstations doesnt. Its a multi Billion Dollar Deal. I mean... obviously.

But i think its fine. Both Companies Do crazy anti consumer shit. I just distance myself enough to only care for what i enjoy

Neither is your friend.

You're right, Arkane and Tango being possibly one failed game away from being closed is a good thing, studios like Roundhouse having more financial resources is a bad thing. I'm not naive or thinking MS actually cares about me other than my money, however I'm also not in denial that Microsoft "chasing profits" is currently beneficial to fans of those studios games, and beneficial to the companies and devs who work at those studios. As a gamer I have more games and better games to play because of "greedy M$". Buying exclusives like this doesn't help Playstation gamers at all, it just hurts non Playstation gamers, this game or another similar quality game would've existed regardless, it's not additive like buying studios has been for all 3 companies. Without MS buying all these studios, games like Grounded never would've existed, Psychonauts 2 would've been worse or released way later. I'm not "rooting" for acquisitions, and I'd rather every game be available to everybody, but acquisitions are a much better alternative to buying exclusivity for a game

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This is the lie that fanboys tell themselves to keep the "war" going. It's stupid, because both are business moves. Not saying you personally are one of those fanboys. But one of those moves actually does more harm than the other (if we are talking about fairness for gamers). You speak as if buying an exclusive doesn't provide a developer those same benefits for one game. A few points....

- You say that MS didn't buy Bethesda to keep Playstation fans from playing Bethesda games. How do you know this? And isn't that exactly what's happening anyway?
- Moneyhatting literally gave us gamers games like Bayonetta 2 and 3. Without Nintendo's money, those games probably don't exist.
- If Sony bought Square or Capcom, that would be WORST than if they bought Final Fantasy 16 only. How can you "not" understand that?

Rat Rage

Squaresoft after the merger with Enix is like a woman you really loved and respected once, but then became a drug addicted whore with no morals, and now you really hate her.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Give me Drakengard 4 god damn it!!!
qf45wbv5ytv61.png

At least give me Drakengard 3 remaster/remake similar to Nier Replicant 1.22.

We still doing this stupid freaking complaining about buying exclusives AFTER Microsoft bought a WHOLE FREAKING PUBLISHER!?!?!
Buying Bethesda and all the development studios under that publisher means Microsoft is now the one footing the bill for everything including building rent, electricity and salaries/wages of every level of staff in those buildings. Microsoft has taken the full brunt of the risk in this situation.

Buying exclusivity for a single game simply means you offered enough cash to a publisher or studio to convince them not to release the game on competing platforms. Outside of the game being crap and not growing their consumer base, Sony doesn't lose out if the the game they money-hatted commercially fails.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Buying Bethesda and all the development studios under that publisher means Microsoft is now the one footing the bill for everything including building rent, electricity and salaries/wages of every level of staff in those buildings. Microsoft has taken the full brunt of the risk in this situation.

Buying exclusivity for a single game simply means you offered enough cash to a publisher or studio to convince them not to release the game on competing platforms. Outside of the game being crap and not growing their consumer base, Sony doesn't lose out if the the game they money-hatted commercially fails.

I understand the bolded part. But that still means that millions of gamers have now lost access to any future games that any studio under Bethesda now makes (unless I have a gaming PC or buy an Xbox). If MS really wanted to, they could have allowed future Bethesda games to be playable on the Switch or PS5. They didn't HAVE to make all the games exclusive. It's effectively the same thing, just for different reasons.

And Sony would lose out if they moneyhatted a 3rd party game for $100 million and it only sold 100K copies worldwide and got a 60 on Metacritic. They'd lose out on their $100 million investment!

Why do people keep arguing about this exclusive shit, when its something that has always been a part of the industry? They do it to sell systems and both parties make money in the process. Acquisitions are a different story but this ain't the thread for that.

RCU005

I would like a game where they reuse Lighting. I loved that character and her design. It doesn't have to even be FF related, just put that character somewhere else. It was a huge wasted potential when FF XIII tanked.

Top Bottom