• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Square Enix game in production as a Sony exclusive, reveal soon

Woopah

They already have exclusive DLC with The Avengers, FFVIIR is console exclusive and was full exclusive for over a year. Sony had marketing rights for Guardians of The Galaxy, Forspoken is a PS5 exclusive (for now at least), now there's a new PS5 exclusive on the way. I'm not even mentioning how all Final Fantasy games from VII until XII that are now on PSNow. The next FFVIIR i'd bet they got the same deal as the first part as well.
FFXIV is console exclusive to Sony as well.

Honestly i don't know how this hasn't happened yet. The fact Sony also has most businesses that Square-Enix has (including anime) it seems like a no brainer.

After witnessing Take-Two buying another company for 12 billion, i wouldn't be surprised by anything Sony would do, lmao.
Exclusives don't necessarily lead to acquisitions. I think it's more that a big part of SE's strategy is "get as much money from the first parties as possible."

As well as the cheques from Sony, they have Nintendo paying the publishing/marketing fees for Team Asano and Dragon Quest in the West, and they have Microsoft paying them for Gamepass games and support with Perfect Dark.

Azurro

Banned
Buying a studio and/or publisher is fundamentally different than buying exclusives. Buying exclusives is done with the sole intent to lock out other people from playing the game. Buying a studio/publisher actually has the ability to improve the studio/publisher, improve the games, provide much needed funding to a company, and in Xbox's case specifically, increase their Game Pass catalog. Buying Bethesda was not done to keep Playstation fans from playing Bethesda games, that's just an unfortunate side effect. Moneyhatting exclusives does nothing to improve the product, buying studios at least theoretically improves the product. That's why there's a difference. I have 0 problems in the slightest about Sony's studios they've bought, even if they bought somebody like Square or Capcom, and even if I'm less vocal I promise whenever Xbox buys exclusives I'm 100% equally against it. This isn't Xbox vs Playstation, it's me just hating buying exclusivity to games that wouldn't be exclusive otherwise

Are people still going with the above? MS bought Bethesda because they needed exclusives to strengthen their IP catalog, add titles to GamePass and entice PS and Nintendo customers since now they are locked out. MS somehow buying Bethesda to "improve them and therefore it's ok" is laughable.

Exclusives don't necessarily lead to acquisitions. I think it's more that a big part of SE's strategy is "get as much money from the first parties as possible."

As well as the cheques from Sony, they have Nintendo paying the publishing/marketing fees for Team Asano and Dragon Quest in the West, and they have Microsoft paying them for Gamepass games and support with Perfect Dark.
Compare what you listed for Nintendo and Xbox together....and all I mentioned for Sony. It's night and day.
But I agree with you in one thing. Square Enix is like "let's try and milk all our games between all big companies". I wouldn't be surprised if Sony's cheques for FFVIIR exclusivity paid for a huge part of that game's production tbh lmao.
Their Crystal Dynamics deal can't be cheap for MS as well.

Woopah

Compare what you listed for Nintendo and Xbox together....and all I mentioned for Sony. It's night and day.
But I agree with you in one thing. Square Enix is like "let's try and milk all our games between all big companies". I wouldn't be surprised if Sony's cheques for FFVIIR exclusivity paid for a huge part of that game's production tbh lmao.
Their Crystal Dynamics deal can't be cheap for MS as well.
I'd say Microsoft's is noticeably smaller but Nintendo and Sony get a similar number of exclusives (with Sony's having much much higher budget).

My main point is that Japanese third parties make deals with first parties happens all the time. Capcom, Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo all make deals too.

It rarely if ever leads to acquisitions.

Last edited:

yurinka

"Major Square Enix game in production as a Sony exclusive, reveal soon"...

If this is true, I think that since Dragon Quest XII is an Unreal Engine 5 game, so I think it will be the game. Even if UE5 will support Switch, if it was going to be a Switch game they wouldn't have cared about going UE5 for the game and would have used UE4 instead.

If not I think it will be FFVIIR Episode 2 because if the fist one was exclusive I assume the second will be too. And looking at the time the first one was released, I think they will reveal the 2nd this year. And probably release it in 2023 or 2024.

Last edited:
Top Bottom