• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

samn

There is no MM Master Quest to have. They'd have to have made one from scratch which clearly wasn't in the scope of this. They have instead put a lot of extra care into the game itself.

Wish it had at least had a hero mode, though. They'd been doing so well with those in SS/WW/ALBW. Hope they keep it in for Zelda U.

This game will be my main game to play until my n3DS MH LE bundle delivers up later this month. The farthest I have gotten in the VC version was probably after finishing
Great Bay Temple

Kriken

Okay, just got to fixing the OP, really shouldn't have posted it last night since I really couldn't do much after it was posted and I got food poisoning after dinner. >.<

If I missed anything, send me a PM and I'll try to fix it. Otherwise, enjoy

disco

Just rang two independents near my parents (where I am at the minute) and they're happily selling it today for £34.99. Shame my 3DS is in London...

terrisus

My least-favorite (non-CDi) Zelda game, with only Wind Waker for competition at the bottom.
Even with the song to slow time, I just can't stand a timer in a Zelda game.

It's still an alright game though, and I'll still be getting it.

Rich!

Just rang two independents near my parents (where I am at the minute) and they're happily selling it today for £34.99. Shame my 3DS is in London...

Use the game collection. Amazing online store. Cost me £29, free delivery, and it arrived yesterday

Termina is pretty lucky that it was the Hero of Time that turned up. Any other Link may have been unable to help in this situation.

Basically there's nothing within the world to save it, it requires a power from another world, the Ocarina of Time. So even if Termina had their own Link, what would he do?

I've never thought of this before. I suppose the only other way another Link could help is if they complete everything in one cycle? Be it getting Majoras Mask from Skull Kid or completing 4 dungeons in 3 days(!) lol

This remake is fantastic. Incredible, incredible game.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Posted this on Twitter earlier. The steelbook is godly.

M5opX2U.jpg

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Okay, just got to fixing the OP, really shouldn't have posted it last night since I really couldn't do much after it was posted and I got food poisoning after dinner. >.<

If I missed anything, send me a PM and I'll try to fix it. Otherwise, enjoy

Much better! I'd still take out those three non-transforming masks, though. Really no need for em. And consider putting the song of time variations behind a link or something.

Played for less than an hour and I'm very disapointed by the framerate when playing in 3D. The game struggle a lot to maintain 30fps, nearly every movement of the camera will make de fps drop.
When you play in 2D, you don't have extra AA as a bonus, just the pleasure to play the game at a real 30fps with very occasional and short drops.

This is not the game to showcase the new 3D stability on your shiny n3DS.

Otherwise, the c Stick camera is a godsend and the game is beautiful.

Great OT! This will be the first time I have played the game. It was released during a time when I was at college and we all had dreamcasts.

Rich!

Played for less than an hour and I'm very disapointed by the framerate when playing in 3D. The game struggle a lot to maintain 30fps, nearly every movement of the camera will make de fps drop.
When you play in 2D, you don't have extra AA as a bonus, just the pleasure to play the game at a real 30fps with very occasional and short drops.

This is not the game to showcase the new 3D stability on your shiny n3DS.

Otherwise, the c Stick camera is a godsend and the game is beautiful.

Apart from one moment in Snowhead, I've never had the game drop from 30fps. Its been a far smoother experience than OOT3D for me.

Also playing on a N3DS. That's bizarre.

Chuck

Still without luck
So should I wait, play LTTP and OTT, then get to MM later this year? Will I appreciate and subsequently enjoy MM more?

I've just recently gotten into Zelda, and wanted to slowly play all of em.

The stuttering is pretty jarring in 3d. I'm glad you can't notice it but it's there. The difference between 2d and 3d mode are night and day and I tried it on lot of environments.

So should I wait, play LTTP and OTT, then get to MM later this year? Will I appreciate and subsequently enjoy MM more?

I think you should play MM after OOT, yes. LTTP is great and timeless, you can play it some other time.

I'm *so* excited to play this for the first time. OOT is one of my favorite games of all time, but the time mechanic scared me off when I was younger. Now I'm ready!

Mendoza

I'm so stoked to play this game, but my pre-order on Amazon of the US Limited Edition Bundle doesn't ship until next week, arriving on Tuesday. Anyone else seeing this?

Rich!

Play OOT first.

You get thrown in the deep end in Majoras Mask. Playing OOT first gives you knowledge of how it plays and the basic skills.

Also, MM is the direct sequel. But yeah, OoT first.

Kriken

Hey Rich, if you can PM me any additional changes not listed in OP, I'd appreciate it

Much better! I'd still take out those three non-transforming masks, though. Really no need for em. And consider putting the song of time variations behind a link or something.

Edited the Q&A as well

PLEASE TREAT THIS AS A NEW RELEASE AND MARK SPOILERS!

OP's avatar is a spoiler

Who? This Smash Bros skin?

Mudron

Play OOT first.

You get thrown in the deep end in Majoras Mask. Playing OOT first gives you knowledge of how it plays and the basic skills.

Also, MM is the direct sequel. But yeah, OoT first.

Yeah, Majora's Mask works best as a counterpoint/follow-up to Ocarina of Time.

Also, juggling all the time and quest-based stuff in Majora's Mask would definitely be easier to tackle if you've already got the basic gameplay down as a result of playing lots of OOT.

This is my first time playing the game, 2 years ago I reacehd the first savepoint after the 3 days thing, loved it but that's all because Majora wasn't mine and I was waitig for this remake. What can I say? This is already fantastic.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Amazon still shows the LE to be expected to arrive on the 17th. Really hope it actually makes it tomorrow since I talked to customer service to look into it and was promised release date.

Would someone mind answering a couple questions?

Once a dungeon is completed, outside of collecting any stray fairies you may have missed, would you ever need to go back? My brother was a big fan of this game, and I remember him complaining about having to go back and re-kill all the bosses after every reset.

Similar question about the Zora eggs; is it necessary to do that every cycle reset as well? This is another one I seem to remember hearing complaints about.

What are the consequences of running out of time? Is it just like getting killed by an enemy and you restart at your last save?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I only played MM for like 2 hours back when it came out. Been like 15 years since I played OoT. Hated Twilight Princess. Never played Skyward Sword. I am ready.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Once a dungeon is completed, outside of collecting any stray fairies you may have missed, would you ever need to go back? My brother was a big fan of this game, and I remember him complaining about having to go back and re-kill all the bosses after every reset.

Killing a boss makes a tangible change in the world, in many cases opening up avenues in certain sidequests. So yeah, you'll have to re-kill bosses sometimes.

Similar question about the Zora eggs; is it necessary to do that every cycle reset as well? This is another one I seem to remember hearing complaints about.

That, I'm not positive about. Someone else can chime in.

What are the consequences of running out of time? Is it just like getting killed by an enemy and you restart at your last save?

Yup. Which, in the original, meant restarting the cycle and losing any items or upgrades you got during the cycle. With the new save statues, the punishment will be far less severe. But realistically there's no time you should ever actually run out of time beyond possibly the first day, just hit the ocarina button with 1 second left and warp outta there.

TheMoon

1) Fairies have to be collected before you revert back to day-1 or they're gone.

2) The only boss you need to beat multiple times is Goht (2nd dungeon) since that affects the weather in the region which is relevant to a few sidequests. That's it. Your brother lied to you (or you're misremembering) :D

3) Zora eggs is a one-time thing.

R0ckman

Can't wait to visit Termina again, it has been almost 15 years...

Btw, why do people call Nintendo remasters, remakes? Nothing is reimagined, design or story wise. The only remake I'm aware of Zero Mission.

Kriken

The only reason to re-complete a dungeon is to restore the environment, so the mountain will no longer have snow for example

No for the eggs, once you get the song, no need to collect again

Run out of time will set you back at your last hard save in the original

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Can't wait to visit Termina again, it has been almost 15 years...

Btw, why do people call Nintendo remasters, remakes? Nothing is reimagined, design or story wise. The only remake I'm aware of Zero Mission.

There's a bit of design reimagining going on here. But generally, yes, "remake" is used a bit too often. I'm a fan of "remaster," I think I was one of the first people to use it back in the OOT3D days in fact, but Nintendo's remasters are also often more significant than something like maybe the God of War or ZOE collection. It's not just bumping resolution and fixing up textures, there's a huge amount of model rework, significant edits to the layouts of maps, a ton of UI tweaks and improvements, often script edits, mechanics are refined, etc. It's more like a "director's cut" than anything, paired with a remastering.

Does anybody have a list of heart pieces and other items that have been moved? I'd like to see it before I start playing so I don't have to consult a guide every five minutes.

Rich!

Oh dear.

Massive slowdown in Termina Field whilst running around the grassy areas near the south swamp road. Didn't notice that before, but yeah.

Also, outside the observatory with the moons tear. Sloooowdown city

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Does anybody have a list of heart pieces and other items that have been moved? I'd like to see it before I start playing so I don't have to consult a guide every five minutes.

Why do you need to know beforehand? Can you not just follow sidequests to their natural conclusions, and explore the world naturally?

Oh dear.

Massive slowdown in Termina Field whilst running around the grassy areas near the south swamp road. Didn't notice that before, but yeah.

Also, outside the observatory with the moons tear. Sloooowdown city

Need that RAM expansion pack!!

Why do you need to know beforehand? Can you not just follow sidequests to their natural conclusions, and explore the world naturally?

Of course! But I've already played through the game many times, so I'll probably be confused if I find something in a place it wasn't before. I heard something about a seventh bottle earlier.

Top Bottom