• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man rapes 2-year-old girl, yet walks free thanks to plea deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want this dude locked up as much as the next guy, but people questioning the whole "his DNA was on everything!" thing aren't thinking it through.

This was his child, and his skin cells (they say he used his hand, so the DNA they mention should be just skin, no semen or anything) were on her bloody diaper. That isn't evidence that he caused anything. His defense would probably be that his daughter was crying and he saw her diaper was bloody, so he changed her, and that's how his DNA got in the diaper and on her body, since that's what a normal parent would do if they saw their toddler bleeding - they would change and clean her. If there isn't any witness testimony (which they mention might be the case with two children under 5 years old), then the ONLY testimony is the defendant, and since his story would make it so that there is a reasonable doubt, the correct verdict would be not guilty.

As much as I fucking hate it, 10 years probation with the plea deal is a better option for the prosecution's attorney. Obviously most people outside the story would say to chance it with the trial though.

Going by the quoted story in the OP she's not his daughter.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm sure his dead body will be found eventually. Only question is how many kids will be hurt before then.
Yep. His name is out there, people know where he lives. It's only a matter of time before real justice is served. With any luck, it will be slow and painful justice.

It sounds more like it was because the only witnesseswere a two year old victim and 4 year old sibling.

You don't need fucking witness testimony when you have a doctor stating it was clear sexual assault and you have his DNA all over the place.
If I understand it correctly the guy didn't even deny it.
Its a clear case, even without the victim or the 4yo witness testifying.

I mean fucking hell, you can't let somebody like him walk free, under no circumstances.

magnetic

I wish I could do something productive with the hate I'm feeling right now.

How does it even cross your mind to abuse a child like that.

I want this dude locked up as much as the next guy, but people questioning the whole "his DNA was on everything!" thing aren't thinking it through.

This was his child, and his skin cells (they say he used his hand, so the DNA they mention should be just skin, no semen or anything) were on her bloody diaper. That isn't evidence that he caused anything. His defense would probably be that his daughter was crying and he saw her diaper was bloody, so he changed her, and that's how his DNA got in the diaper and on her body, since that's what a normal parent would do if they saw their toddler bleeding - they would change and clean her. If there isn't any witness testimony (which they mention might be the case with two children under 5 years old), then the ONLY testimony is the defendant, and since his story would make it so that there is a reasonable doubt, the correct verdict would be not guilty.

As much as I fucking hate it, 10 years probation with the plea deal is a better option for the prosecution's attorney. Obviously most people outside the story would say to chance it with the trial though.

The news article only calls him the mother's boyfriend. I don't think he was the girls' dad.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

The problem is the focus on getting a "win" in the form of a conviction or plea deal rather than protecting the community. This plea deal does nothing to protect the community from this man if he was guilty. If he's acquitted, so be it, but a plea deal shouldn't be merely a notch on the prosecutor's belt

mcz117chief

that is probably the sickest thing I have read in my whole life

I am against death penalties but hot damn would I make an exception in this thing's case.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is the focus on getting a "win" in the form of a conviction or plea deal rather than protecting the community.

I think it's actually more along the lines of not getting a loss.

They don't care so much about getting an outright conviction as long as there isn't an acquittal.

I mean, OJ Simpson, Robert Blake, Casey Anthony, George Zimmerman were all very public losses for the prosecutors because they didn't make a good enough case.

Jokab

Kids that age don't really have the ability to lie. It's not a concept they really grasp yet.

Isn't this a very common misconception? Watch the movie The Hunt, it's pretty terrifying what can happen when you place too much trust in the words of a young child.

If someone did this to one of my kids and walked free I would hunt him down and kill him. I would stamp his fucking face into the pavement and piss on his corpse. This makes me so fucking mad. Someone capable of this should be locked up forever.

Yea I just don't see how someone walks free from something like that.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't this a very common misconception? Watch the movie The Hunt, it's pretty terrifying what can happen when you place too much trust in the words of a young child.

I guess I shouldn't have been as definitive as I was.

It all depends on the development of the child really.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Please don't create threads about news stories whose sole point is to horrify and appall people. This applies equally to stories about horrible events and to random, petty local tragedies of no greater significance. It makes people's experience of our community worse if they have to tiptoe in between threads about mundane atrocities just to participate in the OT. Real news stories of cultural import are fine, even when they're about something horrific happening, but if the right response to a story is mostly just "wow that's awful" it probably shouldn't get a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom