• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe confirmed (with playable Inkling, new Battle Mode, etc.)

Big Nikus

So they removed some characters and added new ?

53fd933670cdc6.jpg

huh

Which ones have they removed ? I've stared at the image for two minutes and I don't see it.

edit: k, saw your post.

I wanted Diddy back :(

Wensih

Man, what is launching on the third?

As of right now it seems they're doing staggered releases to stay in media light. It's like super Mario Maker and many other service games where they slowly release the features in hopes it will draw people back in and stay in the media. I guess it's one way to solve a drought if you don't have a swathe of games. If they released everything on the 3rd people would talk excitedly about it on the 3rd and grab their pitchforks on the 4th when they realize it was an oasis in a desert.

(Stupid Nintendo fanboy optimism alert)

I feel like they may be sitting on some more tracks... but I also wouldn't be surprised if they took this and added some DLc down the road.

Kouichi

I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump back into Mario Kart 8 with this port, but battle mode with feather makes it tempting as hell.

Diddy missing in Mario Kart Wii is the reason I stopped playing new Mario Kart games all together.
..Not really but he should be back!

Otherwise it looks cool. Since I don't have a WiiU and no Mario Kart 8 I'm in! :)

Berordn

(Stupid Nintendo fanboy optimism alert)

I feel like they may be sitting on some more tracks... but I also wouldn't be surprised if they took this and added some DLc down the road.

I wouldn't hold out hope for more since MK9 is probably coming together while this lets them have Mario Kart in the first year.

KaneU

I am actually glad this doesn't have any new tracks, now I don't need to buy it since I am not that interested in the battle mode. The inclusion of Inklings is really cool tho.

But Diddy was in Mario Kart Wii.

Oh...

I guess you can unlock him? :D Shiiiit, I only played multiplayer but not as much as Double Dash. I'm not sure how I could miss that. :O

I always loved Diddy and his huge banana. Always irritated the hell out of my opponents with it.

Peléo

Why haven't they mentioned online play at all? Even if the official page, there is only Local Multiplayer. Afraid we might get the darkest timeline and this is local only.

Berordn

Peléo;228258316 said:
Why haven't they mentioned online play at all? Even if the official page, there is only Local Multiplayer. Afraid we might get the darkest timeline and this is local only.

I haven't been following the online service timetable, but maybe it's coming out before the service goes into full production and it's getting added later?

Would be a glaring omission, but not one I wouldn't expect from them...

Yeah.. already played the fuck out of that game.

If you haven't, great game.

Peléo;228258316 said:

There probably will be online.
You just have to pay for it this time.

Ironically even with the focus on Battle Mode as a redeeming feature, it still comes short of the previous Mario Kart games' standards:

Mario Kart DS→ 6 battle arenas (4 new + 2 retro)
Mario Kart Double Dash→ 6 battle arenas (6 new)
Mario Kart Wii→ 10 battle arenas (5 new + 5 retro)
Mario Kart 7→ 6 battle arenas (3 new + 3 retro)

Mario Kart 8→ 4 battle arenas (2 new: Urchin Underpass / Battle Stadium + 2 retro: GCN Luigi's Mansion / SNES Battle Course 1)

Ironically even with the focus on Battle Mode as a redeeming feature, it still comes short of the previous Mario Kart games' standards:

Mario Kart 8→ 4 battle arenas (2 new: Urchin Underpass / Battle Stadium + 2 retro: GCN Luigi's Mansion / SNES Battle Course 1)

We'll see how they are designed overall. I used to play almost exclusively in the pipe arena in Double Dash, for example. Or the cake arena in SMK. There's a special something that makes a good arena for these modes.

The press release seems kind of vague on the total number of battle maps though.
with new courses such as Urchin Underpass and Battle Stadium, and returning ones like GCN Luigi’s Mansion and SNES Battle Course 1.

The "such as..." makes it seem like it's an incomplete list.

Heartfyre

Considering I wholly enjoyed Mario Kart 8 and its amazing DLC as they came out...I don't care to buy it again. There aren't enough additions here. Great if you never played it on Wii U, and it's an incredible Mario Kart game that everyone should play, but I feel zero inclination to double-dip.

Forkball

#BringBackDiddyKong

Battle Mode is awesome but I dunno... it's not a lot of new content to warrant me plopping down ANOTHER $60.

Charamiwa

Banned
No new tracks? Is it possible they're just not ready to communicate on this and they're still coming? Just yesterday Emily Rogers was saying at least 16 new ones for sure...

Ryce

I wish they would just bring back Birdo, Diddy, and Funky. We're so close to having the full Mario Kart Wii roster.

KooopaKid

Banned
Wait there's not even new tracks AND it only releases in April? WTF has Nintendo been doing???
If so, I'm skipping that one. I'm not buying the same game again just for a battle mode. They couldn't even come up with new modes?

dannie

Just re-watch the switch version trailer, the game really is running on ture 1080p~~

Only if they fixed the 59fps problem the game will be prefect

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I was hyped since I was sure there had to be some new tracks thrown in. Now I see no point, and I might wait a while to get a Switch. What a let down.

Top Bottom