• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe confirmed (with playable Inkling, new Battle Mode, etc.)

They just confirmed 1080p at all times at 60 fps on the TV (it seems they didnt cut rez at 4 players but the fps is 30 fps again :( ). And then said 720p at 60 fps when on the go.

-shadow-

Battle Mode is absolutely amazing. But please tell me that there's also actual new racing tracks and not just Battle Mode for €60. Because that'd be terrible...

This will probably be the thing i'll see being played on campus. I expect controller gripes being even worse now, considering their prices.

Tom Nook

I see no reason why they would continue supporting the Wii U version. I mean, they've been pulling Wii Us from store shelves for a while now, that tells me they're done with it.

That's horrible if true.

I'm not going to spend $300 (console) + $70 (additional controllers each) + $60 (game -double dip) for this.

Not hating but DAMN! :(

EDIT: Plus the paywall for online.

Coffinhal

Be prepared

C2DLb8jXgAAO_fx.jpg:large

Why can't he look like Dark Moon King Boo?

CII5Nh6WoAATBi8.jpg

This is a question for the ages.

For whatever reason, the more well known and better design of King Boo was tossed aside for the random cameo from 64 DS with a bland design to be the core King Boo design used in all spin offs.

Even weirder when Luigi's Mansion keeps showing up as a stage in Mario Kart games featuring ugly King Boo.

artinata

Neo Member
I guess the Mercedes cars are out, right? I'll kinda miss them in their absurdity.

Does anyone know if there's any new racing tracks or all the new tracks are only for battle mode?

60 dollars is a bit steep, if there isn't that much new content it'll be hard to justify the price.

Neiteio

I'll still buy this, full price, Day One. I gotta have the most complete MK8 experience. But it's a hard pill to swallow without new tracks.

I like the addition of Inkling Girl, Inkling Boy, Bowser Jr., Dry Bones and King Boo.

I like the addition of the Koopa Clown Car and the two Splatoon-themed karts.

I like the revamped Battle Mode, Balloon Battle and Bob-omb Battle, and the four arenas shown so far.

I like the the return of the Boo item and the Feather item.

And the steering assist is a thoughtful addition for novices.

Also, the new menus and box art look really slick!

...but I really want new racetracks. Especially since we'll now be paying extra for the online experience. :-\

Azuran

Banned
$59.99 USD LMAO

Nintendo has some gall to do some insulting like this. Hilarious considering we got 16 tracks and a bunch of characters for less than $20 a few years ago. It would have been an easy Day 1 purchase with some new racing tracks but I guess that makes too much sense for this clueless company.

If there was any justice in this world, this would completely fail for being such a blatant money grab, but then again we live in a timeline where Donald Trump is president so I guess dark times ahead are to be expected.

Cerium

$59.99 USD LMAO

Nintendo has some gall to do some insulting like this. Hilarious considering we got 16 tracks and a bunch of characters for less than $20 a few years ago. It would have been an easy Day 1 purchase with some new racing tracks but I guess that makes too much sense for this clueless company.

If there was any justice in this world, this would completely fail for being such a blatant money grab, but then again we live in a timeline where Donald Trump is president so I guess dark times ahead are to be expected.

Wow that escalated quickly.

Jesus why the fuck was this now shown at the Switch event yesterday?!

This looks great. It'll be up there with BotW, Xeno 2, and even Odyssey as a day-1 title for me.

Soul Lab

$59.99 USD LMAO

yooooo. This is getting serious lol.

After the initial disappointment because of the lack of new racing tracks. I think I will buy it. Hopefully we get some good dlc packs with the fair pricing.

$59.99 USD LMAO

I can see how it might be a tough sell at $60 for WiiU version owners, but for everyone else, this is a new game.

Chao

I'm sure they will release new dlc tracks for the switch version of Mario kart 8 sometime in the future, so I'll have to pick it up at some point

Raitaro

I can see how it might be a tough sell at $60 for WiiU version owners, but for everyone else, this is a new game.

Yeah, but that makes it so that us Wii U owners are twice screwed if you think about it - once for not getting the new content in our version even when it technically could be added (I assume) and the second time for not getting a new MK game for Switch or any new tracks in the deluxe version to make us more excited for the Switch, all the while the people that skipped the Wii U are being rewarded with this so-called new game for 60 bucks.

I agree with the other poster you quoted that this is not a practice we should be applauding unless they lowered the price of the game, offered a deal for Wii U owners (that registered their MK8 purhase for instance) or made the new stuff available for MK8 on Wii U as well for an affordable price. It's nice that this game is new to you, sure, but in the larger scheme of things it kind of sucks in this particular scenario I feel (even when I generally applaud the practice of revitialising and re-releasing older games and making them even better).

Varg

Banned
$59.99 USD LMAO

Go kick rocks lol.

Games looking good . Skipped out on the Wii U so this will be all new to me and I'm sure for many others. No new tracks is a bummer though .

alexbull_uk

Maybe they'll do a free DLC at some point? If not full price for this seems a bit unfair to anyone that's already got the WiiU version. Even more so if you'd bought the DLC.

Emitan

Mario Kart 8 is my favorite Mario Kart of all time and I'm glad its getting a second chance to shine and not locked to the failure of Wii U forever.

To be honest, a big part of the draw is that sexy new box art

Colorful darknesssssssss

True, and 1080p Rainbow Road will be a sight to behold.

I'm so torn though. As a Wii U owner, $60 for this feels like highway robbery.

edit - I'm trying to think of similar cases. I believe TLOU Remastered was $60 on PS4, but Gamestop had a trade up deal for PS3 version - think the final price was $30. Only reason I sprung for it.

$59.99 USD LMAO

I don't understand this perspective. You've had the privilege of playing it for 2+ years now, surely that's worth $60?

I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times, but does this have N64 Block Fort (or similar design)? That makes or breaks battle mode for me.

KAL2006

Banned
How does the graphics compare to Wii U version. Looking at IGN videos and something looks off, maybe poor quality compression.

Top Bottom