• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis ACES |OT| Definitely a Port

lsq61F0.png

Title: Mario Tennis Aces / マリオテニス エース
Release Date: June 22 2018 (worldwide)
Developer: Camelot
Publisher: Nintendo
ESRB: E - Everyone
Synopsis: Mario Tennis Aces is an upcoming sports game, and is the eighth installment in the series and will be the first Mario Tennis series game since Mario Tennis: Power Tour on the GBA to feature a Story Mode.

Pre-Launch Online Demo:
CJNQxzp_d.jpg

Participants get Bonus Classic Mario outfit for full game once it launches.
q9Xabhq_d.jpg

Pre-Order Extras:
UK:

lAnJTzz_d.jpg

"To celebrate the launch of the game, the Nintendo Official UK Store is bundling in a snazzy visor when you pre-order the game. You can get the visor in a Mario theme or a Luigi theme" -Source: NintendoLife.com

Gameplay:
Under Construction
Simple Rules:
Under Construction
Swing Mode:
Under Construction
Adventure Mode:
The games story mode takes place on an island where the player goes around completing challenges, whooping baddies, and rescuing Marios pals from a Kingdom that just recovered from the Rabbids.
A dark energy imbued in the "Legendary Racket" has served your handsome brother Luigi a big dose of bad juju. Those cursed have the appearance of mummies with glowing eyes! Only your ACE tennis skills can solve this problem. The balls in your court; are you game?

Adventure Mode Trailer:

Playable Characters:
  1. Mario - All-Around
  2. Luigi - All-Around
  3. Wario - Powerful
  4. Waluigi - Defensive
  5. Peach - Technical
  6. Daisy - All-Around
  7. Rosalina - Tricky
  8. Toad - Speedy
  9. Toadette - Technical
  10. Bowser - Powerful
  11. Bowser Jr. - Defensive
  12. Boo - Tricky
  13. Yoshi - Speedy
  14. Donkey Kong - Powerful
  15. Spike - Powerful
  16. Chain Chomp - Powerful
  17. Birdo - All-Around
  18. Diddy Kong - Speed
  19. Koopa Paratroopa - Technical
  20. Koopa Troopa

Last edited:
So in for this! Thanks for heads up
Yup I'm going to try it out.

I've always loved Mario Tennis. Even owned it on Virtual Boy as a kid!

Mario Strikers > Mario Tennis > Mario Golf

Hope if this game does well we can get Mario Strikers. Didn't care for the Wii version. But the original on GC is my most played sports game, and I'm not even a soccer/football fan!

The arcade style of Mario sports games has always been top tier

Yup I'm going to try it out.

I've always loved Mario Tennis. Even owned it on Virtual Boy as a kid!

Mario Strikers > Mario Tennis > Mario Golf

Hope if this game does well we can get Mario Strikers. Didn't care for the Wii version. But the original on GC is my most played sports game, and I'm not even a soccer/football fan!

The arcade style of Mario sports games has always been top tier

Honestly i just want some dedicated effort put in, not on a production level but on a gameplay and adventure level. And it looks like we might get it with this. High hopes for this!

Honestly i just want some dedicated effort put in, not on a production level but on a gameplay and adventure level. And it looks like we might get it with this. High hopes for this!
Yeah from what was shown they are putting effort into it rather than just turning out basic Mario Tennis game.
Some post game support would be nice, new characters, courts, clothes, rackets after release like splatoon2. They've been doing good with that recently

I do wonder if the classic Mario outfit is exclusive to playing this pre-launch demo, or if its an item you can purchase in game anyway, and this just gives it to you right away.
It would be interesting if clothes have various effects and stats similar to splatoon2. Having them level up and add random stat that can be kept or scrubbed to moved to another piece etc.

Is there a thread where people swap their Switch friend codes because I have zero friends irl with the system

Manus

Man I played so much Mario Tennis 64. I hope this is as fun as that was. I'm just hungry for a Switch game that's not a port. So I'm picking this up.

Man I played so much Mario Tennis 64. I hope this is as fun as that was. I'm just hungry for a Switch game that's not a port. So I'm picking this up.
My switch has been dominated by Xenoblade(79hrs in) DOOM, and Neo Geo games mostly Metal Slug X, Blazing Star, Last Resort all 3 for online high score mode. I've nearly broke into top 100 on Metal Slug X!

Got pissed at Splatoon2 when Donatello got knocked out first round in splat fest.

I know this pre-launch demo is for online play, but hopefully they give a taste of adventure mode.
I also think this title needs to show off online voice chat for competitive 2v2. I really hope E3 they talk improvements with voice during their paid online portion

I need a game like Mario Tennis that I can short burst a few rounds with, and be my RPG palate cleanse between Xenoblade & Octopath.

I ttied it this morning hoping you could play some part of it offline but you can just go through the menus until the first.

Mario looks super cute in his tennis outfit.
Check out his stubby little legs.

I also saw you can choose things like if you hold racket in right or left hand. That'll be good in swing mode.

Remember online test starts today.
Get your demo.

And if you plan to buy keep the demo save data on system for exclusive classic Mario outfit

Yeah from what was shown they are putting effort into it rather than just turning out basic Mario Tennis game.
Some post game support would be nice, new characters, courts, clothes, rackets after release like splatoon2. They've been doing good with that recently

I'm really hoping for some post game support on par with other publishers.

Kremzeek

I’m so excited for this!
The last tennis game I was addicted to was Mario Tennis on the GameCube.

Can’t wait to try the demo today!

Smasher89

Tried the demo a bit and most characters, notice it only uses a fake bracket system where you can "back out" if you dislike the matchup(prob due to connection speed too) and reenter until you face a opponent with a matchup in your advantage. More rewards(points) for winning later bracket matches too.
Felt the character movement was a little bit slow, might be intentional to use the right control stick "last resort" move, or just that it's not the legendary form of the characters, controls felt harder then 64 too, smash (pink shot) has it's own separated button for example.

Last edited:

B_Signal

I like what I played but I think I'd like it more without the super move shit. The computer seems to love the trick shots, I'm not sure why they're not working so well for me nor what the point of them is. Basically I'd rather a more straight arcade tennis game

And for Camelot to go back to Shining Force :cry:

I like what I played but I think I'd like it more without the super move shit. The computer seems to love the trick shots, I'm not sure why they're not working so well for me nor what the point of them is. Basically I'd rather a more straight arcade tennis game

And for Camelot to go back to Shining Force :cry:
That's said to be in the game. Maybe not the demo. Trailers specifically mention regular non super move/trick shot play.

Not fair its not running in the US yet.

Did you try the swing mode? Is it better than Wii sports tennis

KevinKeene

Banned
Played 4 matches. won 3, then lost against Rosalina.

Yeah, I think I'm done with 1 vs 1-online games. Got me way too frustrated :D

Last edited:
I can't get past the second bracket! I forget the advanced buttons as soon as match starts.
One game was awesome had to do a tie breaker which I won. Only to get ass kicked by waluigi. Why won't they let you play simple class? Thats the Mario Tennis I like. I do great until they do that special shit

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
So far the online has been super laggy garbage. Lost my first two games because I couldn’t even hit the ball on serves. And the other guy couldn’t hit my serves either. Will wait til tomorrow to se if this improves but I think I’ll cancel my preorder if this is how this will be...

Last edited:
The game is fun but yeah it's been a bit laggy. I've lost a few games because my character got stuck or the button input was way late, I had to swing before I got to the ball because I was anticipating mad lag. Still pretty fun though, I'll play more this weekend.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I just played my first online match and there was no lag at all. I still got my arse handed to me though.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There's definitely lag. Hope they work it out by release.

Otherwise, this is EASILY the best and most technically rewarding tennis game I've ever played! I just won my first whole tournament and my god, this game is FUN. There are so many intricate things to learn.

This online tournament demo has sold me on the game. I just had an intense match and I was extremely disappointed to find out that I could not add this individual to my friend's list so that I may challenge him/her once the game releases. Sure this is a demo but the product is out there to be tested nonetheless. This demo is an online demo and I'm just disappointed that the community cannot begin to grow yet until the game releases and their online service releases. That is assuming I'm even able to add individuals/friends after a good match in the final product. Still excited to learn more gameplay mechanics and looking forward to the release.

This online tournament demo has sold me on the game. I just had an intense match and I was extremely disappointed to find out that I could not add this individual to my friend's list so that I may challenge him/her once the game releases. Sure this is a demo but the product is out there to be tested nonetheless. This demo is an online demo and I'm just disappointed that the community cannot begin to grow yet until the game releases and their online service releases. That is assuming I'm even able to add individuals/friends after a good match in the final product. Still excited to learn more gameplay mechanics and looking forward to the release.
Yeah when I've been matched to someone equal in skill level the few times where it goes into over time its super fun.

I do wish the non standard rules game was allowed. I tend to just save my full gauge unit they use theirs and counter with it for a point.

Peach and spike are my favorites. I hate going against bowsers they knock me back to the stands one drop shot ide be done but most people aren't using ^/v X moves

jdforge

Banned
Just had a few matches. Pretty decent effort but I’m having issues with some of the shots, namely the trick shots, lob and drop shot. Other than that it’s really good fun and I like the inclusion of the super moves and the KO - it adds another dimension to the tactics especially when both players can’t put the ball past one another.

To those having lag issues - when you’re being matched to someone to play against - refuse anyone with a poor signal. That way you’ll avoid those laggy and frustrating match ups.

Just had a few matches. Pretty decent effort but I’m having issues with some of the shots, namely the trick shots, lob and drop shot. Other than that it’s really good fun and I like the inclusion of the super moves and the KO - it adds another dimension to the tactics especially when both players can’t put the ball past one another.

To those having lag issues - when you’re being matched to someone to play against - refuse anyone with a poor signal. That way you’ll avoid those laggy and frustrating match ups.
Trick shot- press right stick on direction their hitting ball. If there's a star on your court point it that general direction.

To avoid accidentally doing it with lobs and drops press x then up or down, after it hits let go of x and hold L direction

cireza

Played a couple matches. Felt like I was playing the same game I played on 3DS, with super attacks added to it. I don't like these super moves, but it seems you can play without them.

Online was laggy. I could not do anything during the second match. This game was in my radar but now that I tried it, I can tell that I am not interested anymore and won't be buying it.

Jesus I was in a rally with this dude for near 10mins. I had lost track I thought it was for the game or at least the set. FINALLY got through literally 10mins and a blister.
Score says 15/0

I'm like oh shit.

This game as no lag if you play with 3 bars or better. You don't have to play the person you don't lose your place in the tournament.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is one of the most intensely strategic 1 v 1 games ever. After some of my matches, I'm just adding random people to my friend list out of pure respect. It's a battle when both people fully know how to use all the moves.

And on top of that this game has the cool looking RPG adventure mode? All they need to do is fix the net code and this is a legendary game.

This is one of the most intensely strategic 1 v 1 games ever. After some of my matches, I'm just adding random people to my friend list out of pure respect. It's a battle when both people fully know how to use all the moves.

And on top of that this game has the cool looking RPG adventure mode? All they need to do is fix the net code and this is a legendary game.
How you add people?

I've been lucky no problem with lag. It shows you the ping between opponents before choosing them. Pretty sure its p2p

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How you add people?

I've been lucky no problem with lag. It shows you the ping between opponents before choosing them. Pretty sure its p2p
Go to the system menu for the Switch itself. Go to your profile and select Friends. Select Add Friend. Select People You've Played With. It'll show all the people you recently played with.

KevinKeene

Banned
Maybe someone can help:

When I fought Rosalina, she would repeatedly use her cinematic special move and even though I slowed down time and hit the ball, my racket just breaks and she got points. Is there any way to stop this?

Top Bottom