• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis ACES |OT| Definitely a Port

yesrushdt

I can't get past the second bracket! I forget the advanced buttons as soon as match starts.
One game was awesome had to do a tie breaker which I won. Only to get ass kicked by waluigi. Why won't they let you play simple class? Thats the Mario Tennis I like. I do great until they do that special *(&(

I don't know why there isn't any indication on screen that the simple class isn't available in the demo. For all I knew I just had to earn enough points in the standard mode to be able to play in simple. Pretty crappy way to sell someone on a prominent feature in the game.

Go to the system menu for the Switch itself. Go to your profile and select Friends. Select Add Friend. Select People You've Played With. It'll show all the people you recently played with.
I've known about this yet failed to realize that's what I should do to add people I've enjoyed playing with. I thought the demo would allow you to directly add someone in-game. Thanks for the reminder!
Also, hating matches with Rosalina. Why is she overpowered it seems.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Maybe someone can help:

When I fought Rosalina, she would repeatedly use her cinematic special move and even though I slowed down time and hit the ball, my racket just breaks and she got points. Is there any way to stop this?
You have a few tactical options.

1) Hold down R to slow down time and try and block it manually. If you don't block it perfectly though, it will break your racket. If your racket is broken twice you lose the entire match, all sets.
2) Charge up your super meter all the way to blue. After they use their super, use your super for a defensive block.
3) Purposely don't even try and block it and let them get the free point. Focus on winning the set with the rest of your meter. Only gamble for the block if it's going to cost you the whole game.

If you attempt option 1, 99% of the time I failed by hitting the button too EARLY. The ball has to be right on top of you almost.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've known about this yet failed to realize that's what I should do to add people I've enjoyed playing with. I thought the demo would allow you to directly add someone in-game. Thanks for the reminder!
Also, hating matches with Rosalina. Why is she overpowered it seems.
Personally I think the Power type characters are leaning more towards overpowered. Their only real downside is movement speed. But if you can fully master the Trick Shots that have that huge rolling sidestep, you can still move huge distances and just wail on people with power shots all day.

This is one of the most intensely strategic 1 v 1 games ever. After some of my matches, I'm just adding random people to my friend list out of pure respect. It's a battle when both people fully know how to use all the moves.

And on top of that this game has the cool looking RPG adventure mode? All they need to do is fix the net code and this is a legendary game.

Why is it always the net code with nintendo games!

Cant wait to dive in tonight, ive been grinding pkmn quest too much that i forgot about this

Last edited:

xandaca

Personally I think the Power type characters are leaning more towards overpowered. Their only real downside is movement speed. But if you can fully master the Trick Shots that have that huge rolling sidestep, you can still move huge distances and just wail on people with power shots all day.

Even with slower movement speed, Chain Chomp is large enough to cover the court pretty easily. I've played numerous games against Chain Chomp players and while one would expect them to be better than average, given it's one of the last unlocks, I've found it far harder to get the ball past him due to his sheer size. At this point, I reject players using Chain Chomp or Rosalina, playing them simply isn't fun.

NathanW18

Neo Member
I don't own a Switch, but I've been watching this on Twitch. The game looks really good. Makes me wish I had one.

Rookje

Not a fan of the specials, at least not in competitive.

Game has the potential to be the "rocket league" of tennis games. Can't wait till I can queue duo competitive.

KevinKeene

Banned
Me winning a match: 'Yay, great game. I might actually buy this. Maybe even digitally, as a tennis game would be good to have at all times ... hm ...'

Me losing a match: 'FUuuck this shit. Ugh, must.not.throw.Switch.against.wall.'

Guess I'll wait for reviews and info about singleplayer content ;i

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Game is going much better today now that i am choosy about my matches. However in trying to get 3 or 4 bar games I am always against 6000-10000 point people. I’m at 300 points. Is there no middle ground with people who have good connections and somebody close to my level?

I'll let you all in on a little secret that has been working for me well. You and your opponent both have special, use yours first. "But why, they'll just counter?" If they counter with theirs, it will knock them back to the end of the court. Then just use a drop shot (X + down) and I have yet to see anyone recover from it. Great trick to pull out if you are on match point, it's basically hitting a 3 at the buzzer.

Game is going much better today now that i am choosy about my matches. However in trying to get 3 or 4 bar games I am always against 6000-10000 point people. I’m at 300 points. Is there no middle ground with people who have good connections and somebody close to my level?

Probably because most hardcore players are playing online with a wired LAN adapter while casuals are more than likely playing on the Switch's WiFi which sucks balls unless you are close to the source. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hell my New2DSXL is better at getting a good wifi connection on the same source than the switch

Punished Miku

Gold Member

And thank god they decided to build the game off Ultra Smash. This is why they had time to just focus on making new moves and adding depth, as well as the RPG single player mode. I'd rather they add new content than just remodel Mario again and redo all the graphical assets when they had a half completed Wii U game that no one played already done.

And thank god they decided to build the game off Ultra Smash. This is why they had time to just focus on making new moves and adding depth, as well as the RPG single player mode. I'd rather they add new content than just remodel Mario again and redo all the graphical assets when they had a half completed Wii U game that no one played already done.
I am also glad for this decision. I never cared to pay to play the WiiU version, but it brought in revenue for them so it wasn't a complete loss. It was wise for them to have built upon that game for this future rerelease. Sure the mechanics and winning animations are seemingly identical, but the product we are getting now is not that WiiU game that released years ago.
This weekend tournament was a fun competitive experience and it made me excited for the remaining multiplayer games coming up to promote the online service. Launch year was mostly a single player affair for the Switch, and this year the company will take a renewed approach to online gaming. Everything seems promising to me at least.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I did not expect to be playing this for 3 and a half hours straight. This shit is fun.

I don't understand what's up with the online, though. For doubles, it seems like we can't change any settings to search for. So we can't play extended matches or turn off the ridiculous KO shit. If we create our own room, we can change those settings, but no one can find us (probably because they can't search for games using those settings just like we can't).

Also, they make it really tedious to be player 2. You can't change your settings globally. You have to change your settings every time you choose a character. If you want to turn off the gyro or change the aiming to inverted, you'll be doing that often.

Last edited:

Never played a Mario Tennis game. Excited to give it a a shot. My Team at work has been playing Mario kart like crazy lately. We are all excited to goof around on lunch and play tennis. Hopefully this plays as good as it looks.

Rookje

The core gameplay is great, the clunky online experience is par the course for Nintendo.

Also I'm so frustrated with the music, its the same music every game. And it needs more stages in online 1v1.

Future

Weak music. Mario Kart is like Beethoven compared to this.

Lose a match in the single player story, forced to load out, then skip dialogue and load back in. Cannot simply restart

:|

Grinchy

Banned
They really kinda nailed the gameplay in this one. They really bungled some small things. I guess that's Nintendo for ya. I'm also surprised by how limited the online is. I really like the tournament mode, but Doubles is just completely overlooked.

You can't even play together with a friend online if you each have a Switch. That's how far behind the times Nintendo is when it comes to online gaming and they think they should be able to charge for it like the other 2 platform holders who aren't multiple generations behind.

Future

Yeah I like the game play. One thing that isn’t immediately clear is why to use all the hit types. You basically want to counter with opposite colors for red/blue and return purple with purple. If you don’t, the other player will get a star shot opportunity

I like the breaking racket concept, as it really gamifies things beyond simple back and forth tennis. The more meter you have the more pressure you can put on with Star shots and supers. You can aim directly at them to force a timed block or just get an easy point. If you have super you can counter anything for free. If not, you can slow time with meter to nail it anyway, and if you don’t have meter you can still counter but it’s hard (and exciting).

Fail a counter you damage the racket and risk breaking it, instant losing a match. This means players losing in points can always come back with a KO win if they start getting the upper hand with meter management and power shots... it’s like blue shell rubber banding based on skill.

Gonna play more today and get used to trick shots. Not sure where they land in the meta just yet

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The opposite color shots are game changing

I was having so much trouble in most games until I learned the color shots and then proceeded to curb stomp the fuck out of people once I did.

Seriously this shit is instant win right now against somebody that doesn’t know.

Edit. Holy shit just played a boo who could massive curve every shot no matter what. Nintendo nerf please? It didn’t even take any color skill just bullshit garbage shots.

Last edited:
The opposite color shots are game changing

I was having so much trouble in most games until I learned the color shots and then proceeded to curb stomp the fuck out of people once I did.

Seriously this shit is instant win right now against somebody that doesn’t know.

Edit. Holy shit just played a boo who could massive curve every shot no matter what. Nintendo nerf please? It didn’t even take any color skill just bullshit garbage shots.

Boo and Rosalina aren't that hard to deal with once you know how their shots curve and you can anticipate accordingly. Boo definitely hooks more though so it may take a couple of looks (or try playing as him) to get a feel for it.

Grinchy

Banned
When I play Boo, I get a guaranteed service ace if I'm the first to serve. No one ever expects me to serve immediately and hook it hard to the left off the side of the court, so they are always standing there taunting or charging. Once people get used to that, it won't be that big of a deal. If you look at the leaderboard, there are no Boo players at the top. It seems to be mostly Bowser Jr.

kunonabi

So are there motion controls in this? It seemed like it from one of the trailers. I kinda swore off Mario Tennis after the slap in the face that was the Wii U game but motion controls would probably make me give this a shot.

HeresJohnny

So are there motion controls in this? It seemed like it from one of the trailers. I kinda swore off Mario Tennis after the slap in the face that was the Wii U game but motion controls would probably make me give this a shot.
Yeah there are motion controls for some moves; I hate them.

Grinchy

Banned
I can’t stop playing this. The gameplay is just so well done. The lack of a doubles tournament mode is really bewildering, but it’s so fun to play.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Oh, I'm out then. I can't go back to playing tennis or golf games without motion controls.

Motion controls in this game take out every bit of the fighting game mechanics (which is what makes this game amazing).

If you aren’t on a 360 degree treadmill with VR glasses on there is no reason to ever care about motion controls. It’s just as shallow as Wii tennis

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Can someone explain to me how to counteract the shot colors. I can't seem to figure it out.

Can someone explain to me how to counteract the shot colors. I can't seem to figure it out.

Use a red to counter blue and vice versa. Purple cancels each other out.

I'm done with this game until they nerf BowserJR. He's incredibly broken and no fun to play against. Anyone else in the game while they can be annoying (chain chomp, boo, waluigi), they all have weaknesses that can be exploited. Bowser JR doesn't and is just stupid. 5 tourney wins and sitting outside the top 100 in Canada by a couple thousand points.

If he doesn't get nerfed I guess I'll just play this when I have company over, the online scene will dry up quickly if nothing is done.

Grinchy

Banned
Here's a list of problems I have with Doubles (feel free to add):

- You can only play together with someone in split-screen. You cannot invite friends on another switch to play online against other people
- You cannot sign into a separate profile when you're Player 2
- People play Doubles by themselves with a CPU partner
- There is no tournament mode, so no progress or tracking of any kind exists
- You cannot change any settings, so you can't play Extended. Games are very short and one broken racket ends it all.
- The possible court choices depend on whether or not Player 1 and 2 have unlocked courts in single player
- If someone fails to serve in 30 seconds or has a connection problem, the entire room dies and you're back to the menu. This is also a problem because your wins/losses for the session are gone and if you're Player 1 and 2 and have the courts unlocked, you may end up being 3 and 4 when you enter a new room with a host who has no courts.

I might be missing some things and it's already a big list. I don't understand why they took so little initiative with Doubles.

God Enel

Wtf why cannot Nintendo get their online game straight? We're not in 1996 anymore. I mean 99% of the people are playing games like these only because that's where the fun is.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ok maybe I am dumb (probably so) but I don't understand this rock paper scissors thing.

From what I gather if I hit the ball and the star appears on the other side of the court I messed up?

Because I am seeing the star on their side every single hit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Motion controls in this game take out every bit of the fighting game mechanics (which is what makes this game amazing).

If you aren’t on a 360 degree treadmill with VR glasses on there is no reason to ever care about motion controls. It’s just as shallow as Wii tennis
Or you could just try to git gud.
Its like splatoon 2 all over again xD .

Top Bottom