• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein PS3 interview

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I transcribed this from OPM:

We had a chance to speak with Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games, to get to the lowdown on the Unreal Engine technology demo shown at the PLAYSTATION 3 unveiling, as well as a variety of other topics surrounding Sony's next-generation hardware.

OPM: Can you give us a general timeline for the process of creating the Unreal PLAYSTATION 3 demo?

Mark Rein: We got the development kits about two months before the demo, and we had the engine up and running within the first week. We spent the rest of the time optimizing the demo. For the actual content for the demo, which runs on Unreal Engine 3, we did most of the work on the PC and then copied it over to the PLAYSTATION 3 and just ran it. I'd say it took about two to three weeks for the demo once we got the engine up and running.

OPM: So it's that easy to develop for the PLAYSTATION 3?

MR: Absolutely. The PLAYSTATION 3 Stuff is easy to get up and running because it uses Open GL and Linux, as well as nVidia graphics and Power PC architecture. It's also a testament to the Unreal Engine 3 compatibility. If we wanted to look at a shader and know what it was going to look like on PLAYSTATION 3, we didn't have to learn it on the PS3-we could learn it on the PC, and it really looks exactly the same.

OPM: Did your team have any goal in mind with the demo? Did you want to show off a specific feature?

MR: Well, Sony asked us to do something unique, which is pretty difficult. In that time, we had to create characters and modify the environments. Those characters will be in Unreal tournament 2007. We had to build the content, the shaders, and the characters in time for the demo, so that made it a little complicated. We wanted something with a cinematic feel because we knew we were going to have a limited amount of time on stage and we didn't want to the variability of somebody trying to play [a full game] in real time and screwing up. If you saw the UT2007 demo at Midway, we had a little cinematic and then somebody played the demo. It’s a little different every time, so for a demo with this level of importance, we wanted to avoid that.

We knew we were going to create a matinee sequence; Matinee is one of the tools we have in UE3 to do cinematics. It's real time and it’s done within the engine, but it's prescripted. We wanted a fight sequence that looked really next generation and cinematic, so our art directors and designers came up with the ideas. I thought it worked out really well. The camera work was really good; one guy actually did all of that camera work in a couple of days.

OPM: When we were looking at the other demos, there was some skepticism about them being done in real time on the PLAYSTATION 3 hardware. What did you think of them?

MR: The demos that Phil Harrison did and the demos that Epic and EA did are all in real time. The other ones were obviously shown as movies, but I have no idea how they were created, anytime you have technology on a new system you're going to be facing a lot of hurdles, especially when it's a very early system. We were very proud to show a real-time demo.

OPM: Given what you've experienced with the hardware so far, would you say that the other demos are feasible?

MR: I didn't really look at the other demos enough to say. [But]what will happen later on is that those games will all come out and they'll all look great. They show everything that you remember. Look at Gran Turismo. It was called Vision Gran Turismo, so clearly it was a vision statement, and they wouldn't have said that if it was an actual demo. That is their vision of what GT would look like on PLAYSTATION 3. I saw that and though, I don't see any reason why GT wouldn't look that way on PLAYSTATION 3.

I think what will happen is that when those game come out, unless you were looking closely at that video, you'll remember that they don't look quite as good. In other words, there's the vision that a lot of people try to create versus the practicality of what they can pull off. Will they be able to pull off as many effects as you saw in those movies? I don't know, but when those games come out, you won't think that they didn't [pull them off]

We barely scratched the surface of what the machine can do. We're already running in HD at 30fps and above. We threw a lot of stuff into that demo, but we'll be able to do a lot more once we get to play around with the CELL chip, so we're itching to see what we can do with the rest of that power.

They go on a talk a little bit about online and how far Epic has come and he talks a little about Sony's potential to sell hundreds of millions of PLAYSTATION 3s if they can bring costs of games down and how UE3 will help in that aspect:D

Just thought I would post the juicy parts :)

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Kleegamefan said:
I transcribed this from OPM:

They go on a talk a little bit about online and how far Epic has come and he talks a little about Sony's potential to sell hundreds of millions of PLAYSTATION 3s if they can bring costs of games down and how UE3 will help in that aspect:D

Just thought I would post the juicy parts :)

Bah, should have put him on the spot by asking him to compare PS3 to XBox 360.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
nitewulf said:
Epic is also making GoW for x360 right? two different teams within epic or what?

Yes......Epic is developing GoW for X360 and Microsoft is publishing the game....cliffy. B is directing the game, IIRC..

UT2007 is only announced for PCs sofar and is being published by Midway...

Epic is licensing UE3.0 to PC/X360/PLAYSTATION 3 developers....

Mrbob

UT 2007 is a PS3/PC project at the moment. :) I wonder if UT 2007 PS3 will require the hdd.

X360 will probably get another Unreal Championship.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
So UT2007 was announced for PLAYSTATION 3?....cool :)

I know the E3 showing was just a demo of UE3.0 using UT2007 character but the fact the game is actually coming to PS3 is good news...

God did Epic score this gen or what?

Well supported and licensed 3D engine

High-profile game published by Microsoft and the current benchmark for graphics on their new system....

Not only is their new engine a highlight of the PLAYSTATION 3 world debut, but UE3.0 was introduced by the CEO of nVidia as what is possible with their new graphics chip...

Its good to be Epic these days....

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
UT2007 is a PC next-gen consoles project. :)

They stated it in video interviews, but it was also on the midway website at E3. It wasn't announced for any specific console though.

Mrbob

Kobold said:
UT2007 is a PC next-gen consoles project. :)

They stated it in video interviews, but it was also on the midway website at E3. It wasn't announced for any specific console though.

Hmm, maybe it'll be revolution exclusive on next gen consoles then.... :D

Epic is indeed owning next gen.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
The Faceless Master said:
jeez did you have to transcribe with PLAYSTATION 3 in all caps?

otherwise, awesome read, thanks :)

That is what the PS3 is...

It is not PlayStation 3 (like the previous generations) but PLAYSTATION 3 (in all caps)........

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
dont forget MS has bought the UE3.0 for first party games... its good to be Epic indeed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You are seriously messed up.
He isn't crazy. That actually is the official name, and it was probably printed like that in the interview he transcribed. Much like you'll rarely see an official publication to print XBOX in any way other than that.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
God's Hand said:

Here is how SCEI refers to their consoles:

1st gen=PlayStation (capital P, capital S)

2nd gen=PlayStation 2 (capital P, capital S, number 2)

Portable=PlayStation Portable (capital P, capital S, Capital P)

3rd gen=PLAYSTATION 3 (all caps, number 3)

Look at this SCEA press release:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PressReleases.aspx?id=279

In 1994, SCEI launched the original PlayStation® (PS), followed by PlayStation®2 (PS2) in 2000 and PlayStation®Portable (PSP®) in 2004, every time introducing the latest advancement in technology and bringing innovation to interactive entertainment software creation. Over 13,000 titles have been developed by now, creating a software market that sells more than 250 million copies annually. PS3 offers backward compatibility enabling gamers to enjoy these enormous assets from PS and PS2 platforms.

Los Angeles, CALIF., May 16, 2005 At a press conference held in Los Angeles, California, today, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) revealed the outline of its PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3) computer entertainment system, incorporating the world's most advanced Cell processor with super computer like power. Prototypes of PS3 will also be showcased at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), the world's largest interactive entertainment exhibition held in Los Angeles, from May 18th to 20th.

Also, if you look at the disk media chart at the bottom of the page, you will see PlayStation,(CD-ROM) PlayStation 2(CD-ROM, DVD-ROM and PLAYSTATION 3(CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE) all listed together....

The caps are no mistake....

Tellaerin

God's Hand said:

And the people here who insist on referring to the Gamecube as 'GAMECUBE NINTENDO' because 'Nintendo says that's the official name and calling it anything else will devalue the trademark!!!1!' (or some equally retarded justification) aren't?

lexi

Banned
Where are all you Epic fans when it comes to actually playing games? UT2004 has NO online community.

element

lockii said:
Where are all you Epic fans when it comes to actually playing games? UT2004 has NO online community.
they were all making mods trying to win the 'make something unreal' prize.

Ranger X

Hey guys, this thread is not supposed to be about how we type stuff. It was meant to become a flame thread PS3 vs 360 like usual... no?

Maybe because it's monday or something...

Sho Nuff

Banned
I hope I can use my Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation(R)2) with my PLAYSTATION(R)3 and my Broadband Adapter (Ethernet) (for PlayStation(R)2)!!!

Top Bottom