• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT4| Love You $22 Billion

Doom85

Just watched 'Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' and it was so fucking good! The story, the acting, the special effects, the choreography (!!!), the comedy, all of it. Another fantastic Marvel entry. Even my Mom liked it! She loved all the special effects and animals in that other world they visit. She also made a good point that this movie would have been super cool in 3D at the theaters. We both saw Lightyear in 3D and it was awesome with all the space stuff and special effects. Loved it!

Started Hawkeye last night and it's going great so far. I like the characters, the callbacks to Phase 1-3 (so many sad parts tho :messenger_pensive:), not 100% sure where the story is going yet but the action and comedy and all that Marvel quality I've come to expect is there. Can't wait to get into it more tonite.

Hawkeye is so fucking great in my eyes. It can get serious at times but keeps it focused on being a fun and positive adventure with a bit of holidays theme added. So many fun side characters as well.

Kev Kev

Hawkeye is so fucking great in my eyes. It can get serious at times but keeps it focused on being a fun and positive adventure with a bit of holidays theme added. So many fun side characters as well.
Yeah I loved the Christmas vibe at the beginning! Kind of made me wish I watched this during Christmas time.

Glad to hear that! I’m looking forward to watching the rest. Hawkeye always deserved his own movie/series.

sol_bad

Just watched 'Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' and it was so fucking good! The story, the acting, the special effects, the choreography (!!!), the comedy, all of it. Another fantastic Marvel entry. Even my Mom liked it! She loved all the special effects and animals in that other world they visit. She also made a good point that this movie would have been super cool in 3D at the theaters. We both saw Lightyear in 3D and it was awesome with all the space stuff and special effects. Loved it!

Started Hawkeye last night and it's going great so far. I like the characters, the callbacks to Phase 1-3 (so many sad parts tho :messenger_pensive:), not 100% sure where the story is going yet but the action and comedy and all that Marvel quality I've come to expect is there. Can't wait to get into it more tonite.

Speaking of mums, my mum didn't see it at the cinemas, I don't think she realised it was a Marvel Studios movie. She watched it at my house with her partner and they loved it, they watched it a second time within the week.

I love the fight scene choreography, especially the building side fight. But I love the whole story and Shang Chi's fathers motivation, it's refreshing.

Hawkeye I really enjoyed episode 3-5, episode 1,2 and 6 weren't as good. It's last on my list for Disney+ shows. Loved Hailee Steinfield as Kate Bishop, she killed it. Even though it's not my favourite MCU show, I still can't wait to see them on screen again.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
falcon and winter soldier is great but im getting a little tired of the race politics.

they do a decent job of reeling the wokeness back in tho. at one point sam actually ays to bucky" nah man he didnt mean it like that" alluding to some white guy making a comment that could have been perceived as racist. the captain amaerica wanna-be has a best friend who is black, so that sort of squashes the idea that disney is alluding to all white cops and white military personell being racist. and so on...

so far i much prefer the drama and slower pacing of wanda vision. there is a lot of action and moving pieces in falcon and winter soldier, and its all pretty well done, but im finding it hard to get into the more heart felt bits of the show. it just doesnt feel as meaningful and genuine for whatever reason. maybe its just a writing thing?

on the other hand, its great to have so much combat and action again. wandavision was lacking in that dept a bit. maybe a little more action in wandavision, and maybe a little less in falcon and winter soldier would have been more balanced.

looking forward to the rest!

As for TFATWS, I would have given the show an A since I thought the dramatic scenes especially with Bucky was fantastic and emotional. But the woke anti white politics when they show up is why I gave the show a D. The action and character development are Fantastic but I have a issue with the ending that once you finish the show I'll explain my issue with the show in more detail

Some of you guys are going to have to realize that things like racism is actually real. It's not some left-wing fantasy that teachers are told to create to push some "woke agenda". Slavery in America happened. The Jim Crow era was real. Redlining actually existed and stole billions of dollars of net worth from Black Americans over a 50-year period (hell it's still literally happening today in America).

It would have been impossible to tell a story about a black superhero in America that got his start in the 1940s without race playing a part of the story.

mckmas8808

I've said in the past that the All Hail the King one-shot was not a reactionary apology for Iron Man 3.

rL79CeV.jpg

So are they saying here that the "real" Mandrian is still out there waiting to be in a movie or TV show?

Kev Kev

Some of you guys are going to have to realize that things like racism is actually real. It's not some left-wing fantasy that teachers are told to create to push some "woke agenda". Slavery in America happened. The Jim Crow era was real. Redlining actually existed and stole billions of dollars of net worth from Black Americans over a 50-year period (hell it's still literally happening today in America).

It would have been impossible to tell a story about a black superhero in America that got his start in the 1940s without race playing a part of the story.
They way they shed light on it feels forced and annoying at times. Also, I’m an American white man, and I’m very aware of aware of my country’s history, thank you very much.

Doom85

So are they saying here that the "real" Mandrian is still out there waiting to be in a movie or TV show?

It’s Shang-Chi’s father essentially. He didn’t care for the title “Mandarin” as Trevor made that up himself, but regardless was not happy Trevor was claiming to be leader of the Ten Rings.

Doom85

They way they shed light on it feels forced and annoying at times. Also, I’m an American white man, and I’m very aware of aware of my country’s history, thank you very much.

But I do think there is something to be said about certain black heroes of the past not getting the recognition they deserve which is what happened to the 2nd Cap Isaiah. For example I only found out about Lewis Howard Latimer recently, they just never brought him up in any of my history classes that I recall. It took the movie Hidden Figures for it become more common knowledge about what three black female scientists did for the moon landing. But I feel prior to that, you ask your average Joe on the street to name an influential black person in any field of science and technology, you’d get either no response or, “oh, that George Washington Carver guy, he invented peanut butter, right?”

Regardless, Captain America comics and such are often political-focused. I didn’t mind racism being an element of it as that is politics. And the show doesn’t agree with everything Isaiah said. Sam’s sister told Sam that he needs to become Cap because even if there is pushback from certain people, nothing will change for the better if he sits back and just grumbles about the world. Heck, in retrospect, if Isaiah had contacted Steve while he was still active and told him about everything, I guarantee you Steve would have done everything he could to give Isaiah the recognition he deserved. Instead, Isaiah sat back and did nothing, and it took Sam finding out through Bucky and then taking initiative himself to get Isaiah recognized. The show does sympathize with Isaiah, but it doesn’t paint him as right in every aspect, and I liked that.

Kev Kev

But I do think there is something to be said about certain black heroes of the past not getting the recognition they deserve which is what happened to the 2nd Cap Isaiah. For example I only found out about Lewis Howard Latimer recently, they just never brought him up in any of my history classes that I recall. It took the movie Hidden Figures for it become more common knowledge about what three black female scientists did for the moon landing. But I feel prior to that, you ask your average Joe on the street to name an influential black person in any field of science and technology, you’d get either no response or, “oh, that George Washington Carver guy, he invented peanut butter, right?”

Regardless, Captain America comics and such are often political-focused. I didn’t mind racism being an element of it as that is politics. And the show doesn’t agree with everything Isaiah said. Sam’s sister told Sam that he needs to become Cap because even if there is pushback from certain people, nothing will change for the better if he sits back and just grumbles about the world. Heck, in retrospect, if Isaiah had contacted Steve while he was still active and told him about everything, I guarantee you Steve would have done everything he could to give Isaiah the recognition he deserved. Instead, Isaiah sat back and did nothing, and it took Sam finding out through Bucky and then taking initiative himself to get Isaiah recognized. The show does sympathize with Isaiah, but it doesn’t paint him as right in every aspect, and I liked that.
I think representation is important, and for the most part Falcon and WS did an okay job at not going overboard, but there were still parts that made me roll my eyes.

The posturing by Disney goes a little overboard some times imo, to the point it feels fake, and the fakeness is the part I take issue with. I don't like the idea of a giant mega corp like Disney co-opting those parts of American history in order to pander and, ultimately, profit.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Some of it at the end of that series was forced and could have been done better. I agree there.

It’s Shang-Chi’s father essentially. He didn’t care for the title “Mandarin” as Trevor made that up himself, but regardless was not happy Trevor was claiming to be leader of the Ten Rings.

Hmmmm.....this is interesting.

The bolded is the most important part to me. It shows Disney wasn't pandering at all here. It's an interesting story that they wanted to tell and they did it well. I love Disney for that.

I think representation is important, and for the most part Falcon and WS did an okay job at not going overboard, but there were still parts that made me roll my eyes.

The posturing by Disney goes a little overboard some times imo, to the point it feels fake, and the fakeness is the part I take issue with. I don't like the idea of a giant mega corp like Disney co-opting those parts of American history in order to pander and, ultimately, profit.

See I think the bolded is the main problem I have with your viewpoint and some others too. Just because the main character is black, doesn't mean this is all about "representation". And it's intersting when people consider something "pandering" whereas nobody ever considers any story with white men to be pandering. Just something to think about. It's only pandering it the story is about someone that's not a white\straight\male. Think about how crazy that it. For most black people in America, Sam's and Isaiah's stories are as normal and natural as anything story ever told.

I think many white people just don't understand the lives that most black people have in America. And it's sad too, because we live close enough to each other that white folks shouldn't be this disconnected from what black folks go through.

Really? I know racism exists lol. I'm Brown

Funny thing is It usually comes from left leaning white women the most🤔

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This may sound crazy, but I didn't know What If...? had episodes beyond ep7. I guess I just sort of forgot about it or assumed ep7 was the final one, then new episodes came out.

I woke up this morning and caught ep8 while making my smoothie and riding my ex bike and cool, this is shaping up to be a killer part of the story to close things out.

sol_bad

This may sound crazy, but I didn't know What If...? had episodes beyond ep7. I guess I just sort of forgot about it or assumed ep7 was the final one, then new episodes came out.

I woke up this morning and caught ep8 while making my smoothie and riding my ex bike and cool, this is shaping up to be a killer part of the story to close things out.
Is ep 8 the last one of the season?

Kev Kev

Saw the new Thor with my niece, nephew and my Mom and we loved it!!

It was hilarious, great story, fun new characters, fun old characters, Christian Bale was phenomenal as the bad guy, it was even creepy/scary at times, graphics were great, the music was AMAZING, they nailed the ending and there is a really interesting new character that I imagine will be in future Thor movies, and overall it was just a fantastic movie. Couldn’t be happier with it.

Now back to Hawkeye (skipped ahead to Thor just so I could go with the kiddos, but I still gotta catch up).

mckmas8808

Saw the new Thor with my niece, nephew and my Mom and we loved it!!

It was hilarious, great story, fun new characters, fun old characters, Christian Bale was phenomenal as the bad guy, it was even creepy/scary at times, graphics were great, the music was AMAZING, they nailed the ending and there is a really interesting new character that I imagine will be in future Thor movies, and overall it was just a fantastic movie. Couldn’t be happier with it.

Now back to Hawkeye (skipped ahead to Thor just so I could go with the kiddos, but I still gotta catch up).

It seems like you liked it more than most. I gave it a C+ score.

MAtgS

To tell you the truth not really feeling it
As an "all star" team up crossover, it sucks. Literally half of them debuted in the same movie. You could call this movie Black Widow 2 with Bucky as the obligatory guest character and you wouldn't know the difference. Not to mention the lack of power/skills variety (3 super soldiers and 2 widows).

No Loki, no enchantress, no Abomination despie bringimg him back after being forgotten for 14 years, no Vulture, no whoever from AoS/Netflix. Hell, I've heard rumors of Killmonger coming back somehow.

Ghost is alright. She's the only one with both a different power set and from a film that's separate from the others.

sol_bad

As an "all star" team up crossover, it sucks. Literally half of them debuted in the same movie. You could call this movie Black Widow 2 with Bucky as the obligatory guest character and you wouldn't know the difference. Not to mention the lack of power/skills variety (3 super soldiers and 2 widows).

No Loki, no enchantress, no Abomination despie bringimg him back after being forgotten for 14 years, no Vulture, no whoever from AoS/Netflix. Hell, I've heard rumors of Killmonger coming back somehow.

Ghost is alright. She's the only one with both a different power set and from a film that's separate from the others.

Maybe you shouldn't take so much stock in rumours, it's creating false expectations. Seeing the line up now, having the Abomination there wouldn't make any sense, it would totally void any of the other members. Seeing the line up, it's more like a Secret Avengers team but I don't think Feige wants to use that name, they want to keep Avengers strictly for the big team up films.

Vulture, Aos/Netflix and Killmonger make zero sense for this team even if they were a villain type team like in the comics.
God knows what Sony have/will do with Vulture, they are the ones that fucked things there.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania trailer from D23:

Edit: I see the video was nuked. It was basically

Kang flexing on Ant-Man. The rest wasn't all that interesting IMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom