• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Ant-Man - Trailer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Maybe, but I feel more like the shoehorning is the other way around. Let's use what we have, but rewrite it enough to fit it into the current MCU, and run with that. If it's ALL the trailers, and just bad editing that is making it seem like this movie is actually two different movies in one package, then these are the worst-edited trailers I've ever seen.

I am just not seeing this two movies thing you are seeing in this trailer.

Nesotenso

This is going to be a tough sell like Guardians. If the word of mouth and reviews are good, it may end up being a surprise hit like GoTG. Hope Rudd makes it to the Avengers eventually because the visuals that is going to bring to the screen is great.

This is going to be a tough sell like Guardians.

Guardians wasn't really all that tough a sell though. It played precisely to the strengths of the (very good) movie that they had.

"This movie is funny. There's a lot of cool looking adventure. Nobody in this film is taking themselves too seriously, because everyone is just having way too much fun, especially the raccoon with the big ass gun and his friend the laid-back tree."

Granted, nobody expected it to blow up like it did, either, but after the first trailer, nobody really doubted that the film would be worth seeing. Buzz was strong, and stayed that way throughout the marketing campaign.

Everyone is set to go up through Avengers 3 (though not necessarily both parts...). After that, it's all a matter of who chooses to re-up and who chooses to leave. Personally, I think Evans, Hemsworth, Renner and Scarlett will end up walking afterward; Downey might too depending on how his own studio is doing by then. Jackson has said he's willing to re-sign after his contract is over, but Marvel may rather just kill off Fury instead, who knows.

That sounds logical. Infinity War should obviously be the the end of marvel's first big act. Curious where they'll go from there in terms of adapting comic stories.

hydruxo

I'll have to wait and hear impressions when it gets closer, because this trailer didn't do much for me. I'm not really into the premise of Ant-Man as a character.

Because the other 7/8ths of the trailer is selling a redemptive action/drama about a world threatening corporate overlord that can only be stopped by a petty thief who just wants to keep his daughter safe, complete with serious music and portentious dialogue.

Just because the trailer has 3 jokes in it doesn't mean the trailer is selling a comedy. It should be selling a comedy. Instead it's trying to sell people an action movie with Paul Rudd.

Its still a superhero movie first and foremost and those are pretty fitting themes for a superhero movie. There's definitely going to be action, drama, and comedy, the normal things we can come to expect from Marvel Studios' films. I don't see the reason or benefit of cutting a minute-plus trailer focusing purely on the comedy, because the movie is not purely a comedy.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Good trailer and I like the effects.

I'm definitely watching it, but the fact it's a remnant product of phase 1 along with the troubled production history keeps me wary. I don't think it will be a bad movie, but if the initial response is too lukewarm it may be a rental for me. Hoping for some magic though.

Choo choo!

tumblr_nej0dxhT3D1ru89oxo1_1280.jpg

I don't see the reason or benefit of cutting a minute-plus trailer focusing purely on the comedy, because the movie is not purely a comedy.

Because focusing on the comedy makes the movie more appealing, precisely because the comedy aspects are what's going to set it apart from the other superhero films. Paul Rudd/Adam McKay? 1/3rd of the Anchorman brain-trust is making this movie. Highlight that. Michael Pena and T.I. are in this movie. Highlight that.

Again - Marvel did this beautifully last year with Guardians, and it caused people to pay more attention to it. It distinguished itself.

This isn't really distinguishing itself - it's trying really hard to look like it fits in. It shouldn't.

Because focusing on the comedy makes the movie more appealing, precisely because the comedy aspects are what's going to set it apart from the other superhero films. Paul Rudd/Adam McKay? 1/3rd of the Anchorman brain-trust is making this movie. Highlight that. Michael Pena and T.I. are in this movie. Highlight that.

Again - Marvel did this beautifully last year with Guardians, and it caused people to pay more attention to it. It distinguished itself.

This isn't really distinguishing itself - it's trying really hard to look like it fits in. It shouldn't.

Many people in this thread have said that this trailer piqued their interest in the movie despite formerly not being interested. The trailer is clearly doing its job. Does that mean nothing?

It's an action comedy movie. The trailer has action and comedy in it. I don't see what the problem is.

To me the comedy isn't what sets this apart from other superhero films, it's the ant-sized stuff, something I thought this trailer did a great job of showcasing and that captured my interest in a way the previous teaser did not. The humour is just a bonus.

Looks fantastic, the scene with the train especially was just superb.

Although I'm disappointed they'd ruin that in a trailer. Would have been pretty amazing to see that on the big screen for the first time. I imagine the pop from the audience would have been incredible...

Many people in this thread have said that this trailer piqued their interest in the movie despite formerly not being interested. The trailer is clearly doing its job. Does that mean nothing?

Why would that mean nothing? I'm not even making that argument. I'm just saying this marketing isn't doing a very good job of selling the movie. That other people ARE being sold by it doesn't change my opinion they could be selling more.

The trailer is doing a job. I don't know that it's doing the right one, is what I'm arguing.

rekameohs

Banned
To the people talking about Ant-Man becoming giant, wouldn't that be incredibly useless? I've never read the comics, but the whole point of this character seems to be that he has the strength of a human while he's the size of an ant, so he can be incredibly deceptive - I'll just let it slide that he can run along a gun barrel even though that should just weigh the whole thing down and the guy shouldn't be able to hold it up (The train scene seemed to follow the "physics" of this reality, but not the gun run).

So if he became giant, logic should follow that he would still have the strength of a man. So it's not like he can stomp on cars or anything. It should follow that the ant sized man is abnormally strong for his size, while the giant man is abnormally weak for his size. Do the comics just say "fuck it" and make the giant man as strong as a typical giant too because reasons?

I'm confused about his apparent powers. Shrinking causes his strength to grow? Ants can only carry ten times their body weight because of the inverse square law. You would get relatively stronger as you shrank, but not stronger overall. Hopefully there's some bullshit radiation or nanomachines to explain that.

The movie looks generic as fuck, too. Probably not a bad movie in a vacuum, but does nothing to set it apart from other superhero stuff for me.

xxracerxx

To the people talking about Ant-Man becoming giant, wouldn't that be incredibly useless? I've never read the comics, but the whole point of this character seems to be that he has the strength of a human while he's the size of an ant, so he can be incredibly deceptive - I'll just let it slide that he can run along a gun barrel even though that should just weigh the whole thing down and the guy shouldn't be able to hold it up. The train scene seemed to follow the "physics" of this reality, but not the gun run.

So if he became giant, logic should follow that he would still have the strength of a man. So it's not like he can stomp on cars or anything. It should follow that the ant sized man is abnormally strong for his size, while the giant man is abnormally weak for his size. Do the comics just say "fuck it" and make the giant man as strong as a typical giant too because reasons?

Logic in a comic movie? Come on.

xxracerxx

From whats been said Janet is not in the movie. Lilly has Janets Hairstyle though and they could go with Wasp being daughter instead of wife. Could end up sequel thing or something

I mean it looks pretty damn apparent that
once Yellowjacket is defeated they make Lily the Wasp outfit from his tech.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/77c9ec9b99a0c89440ea0a6140f93da9/tumblr_nej0dxhT3D1ru89oxo1_1280.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Can't be bothered to look through the thread? It is literally on this page.

This looks boring, the tone is trying to go for both completely different things.

This is not the "describe your own sex life" thread, JD.
To the people talking about Ant-Man becoming giant, wouldn't that be incredibly useless? I've never read the comics, but the whole point of this character seems to be that he has the strength of a human while he's the size of an ant, so he can be incredibly deceptive - I'll just let it slide that he can run along a gun barrel even though that should just weigh the whole thing down and the guy shouldn't be able to hold it up (The train scene seemed to follow the "physics" of this reality, but not the gun run).

I'm confused about his apparent powers. Shrinking causes his strength to grow? Ants can only carry ten times their body weight because of the inverse square law. You would get relatively stronger as you shrank, but not stronger overall. Hopefully there's some bullshit radiation or nanomachines to explain that.

The movie looks generic as fuck, too. Probably not a bad movie in a vacuum, but does nothing to set it apart from other superhero stuff for me.

Dudes, Pym Particles.
When in doubt, just shrug and say Pym Particles did it.
My man. *fistbump*

Ophelion

When in doubt, just shrug and say Pym Particles did it.

mreddie

From whats been said Janet is not in the movie. Lilly has Janets Hairstyle though and they could go with Wasp being daughter instead of wife. Could end up sequel thing or something

It's been said there will be a Wasp in the Universe and they need more female heroes for the women to connect with before the Captain Marvel movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom