• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy |OT| We Got This...Kinda

15 hours in and I guess my opinion will be unpopular but this is nowhere near to being my GOTY, have no problem people loving the game and calling it GOTY, but to me as a game it sucks and I kinda don't enjoy the game at all simply because the gameplay is so shallow and all the elements are lacking depth, the combat is so bad to me all you do is run around the arena and shoot bullet-spongy things. I didn't play the Avengers but I have a feeling that they ripped off the combat from there or some other shitty game bloated with mtx, it's like I'm playing looter-shooter just without the loot. Some positives that prevent me from writing off the game completely would be characters and chemistry between them, pretty interesting story and sense of an adventure. It's pretty good as something marvel related or GoTG and in a series format would've been better to myself but as a game very mediocre. Guess I should've listened to an advice to watch this on Youtube, don't think I would've lost much. I have a few chapters left but it's tempting to "finish" the game on youtube.

Its not as close to Avengers as you think. I agree that everything does feel just a bit shallow. Combat is....messy but is still fun IMO. I think its a good starting point to expand on. I think the biggest issue is there is very little strategy to it. Big bad in the room? prioritize him and just send out the team to do their most damaging moves while Groot holds them down (just since he doesnt have a high damage maneuver). Plus a lot of their moves have similar results. AOE that does stagger damage, AOE that just does damage, or high damage direct attack on 1 enemy.

Certinty

Is it just me, or does the game almost follow the tried and true Sony format? Feels like it would be right at home as a first party. Lots of walking and talking, established areas of fighting, etc etc.

I’m also shocked at how good it looks even on PS4.
Besides a few bugs and a bit more polish needed here and there, if someone told me this was a PS5 exclusive mad by Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac or whoever, I would have definitely believed them.

SZips

Just finished it a few minutes ago and I was smiling as the final credits rolled.

What a fantastic game that was. I had such a great time playing through it and I really hope there's a sequel coming somewhere down the line. This has easily been the best "Guardians" content I've ever experienced.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
The positive reception is having me curious about the title but can anyone explain me what's the game structure? I understand it's mostly a linear game, but is it more akin to stuff like FF7R with some HUB areas in-between, where you can take on side activities and typical (light) rpg stuff, or it's literally an Uncharted game in space with no rpg elements at all?

Last edited:

Luipadre

The positive reception is having me curious about the title but can anyone explain me what's the game structure? I understand it's mostly a linear game, but is it more akin to stuff like FF7R with some HUB areas in-between, where you can take on side activities and typical (light) rpg stuff, or it's literally an Uncharted game in space with no rpg elements at all?

No HUB areas, its totally linear. Like an uncharted title. Not 4 tho, that one had some more open areas. This game plays like a linear sony 1st party title.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Exploration areas between fighting arenas, similar to an uncharted game really. All the unlocks are either more outfits, perks for star lord (shield regen, charged shot, slo mo dodge) or new moves for you and the team. Ship acts like a social area at start of some missions so u can chat about items you find exploring and such. Even has some telltale style “….. with remember this” with some story choices along the way. No real rpg or side things to do beside maybe 1st trip to Nowhere(unless more happens only on chapter 10 atm).

enjoying the game but combat take some getting used to, you really have to use your team.

Yamisan

There is a new patch for PS5, does anyone know what it is?
If its the patch that came out 2-3 days ago on ps5 it just fixes several level specific bugs and a bug that causes new game + to just make a new regular game instead of +

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Finally got to play a bit the last few days. Every bit as good as I was hoping for. Might be my personal goty

Mossybrew

fsnyjqf.jpg

Just finished, some thoughts:
  • Jank, not hard crash jank but getting stuck between platforms and reloading checkpoint jank....and generally wonky scripting and teleporting character jank
  • Well written dialogue performed by blates Canuk actors - Drax obviously the best character and even has a God Of War 3 arc
  • Find-the-gap-to-squeeze-through sections after every encounter, don't worry Drax is probably standing right in front of it
  • Visor takes too long to scan with no feedback its doing anything
  • In heavy battle scenes enjoy pressing all the buttons, especially the ones that trigger huddles, your visor and photomode
  • I had no idea what most of the guardian abilities did in combat, just spammed whichever available
  • Sliding into walls
  • Gliding your ship into mountains
  • Ship combat was given very little love, with one particular back and forth rudimentary boss fight that could have just not been in the game
  • Xcom ragdoll killcam at the end of an encounter is off-putting
Overall I liked it

Last edited:

GymWolf

Is it just me, or does the game almost follow the tried and true Sony format? Feels like it would be right at home as a first party. Lots of walking and talking, established areas of fighting, etc etc.

I’m also shocked at how good it looks even on PS4.
Combat is worse than any sony acclaimed game tho.

Days gone is the one with the worse combat but i feel like fighting an horde still has more quality gameplay than guardians combat arenas.

But writing and characters are as good as sony ones.

Last edited:
Just finished the game this morning. This is probably up there with one of the best games ever made. Seriously
Why does Peter's "daughter" turn into Atreus from GOW4?

Last edited:

Nico_D

Finished. It was a good game, some of the time even great. Entertaining all the time, good dialogue, very good acting.

What pulled it down a notch for me was the abundance of bugs. Smaller and bigger. In the final fight alone Peter wouldn't run forward and after dying my health bar had decreased to 1/10th of what it was before. I had to finish it on easy to be able to win.

Also, the game forgot settings all the time. Even putting the game on sleep reverting the game difficult settings to another state.

For now this may be the last AAA game I'm buying on launch - or even shortly after. I'll probably wait for few months.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wait... this is a single player game ?!
Made by tomb raider team ?!
And it has nothing to do with Avengers - which also came out this year and is multiplayer game ?! The avengers game is bad, right ?

I am confused what this is. They totally screwed the marketing. I was under the impression it is 4player coop or mmo type game...

I might try it... 3080 of ps5... same hdr on both or better on ps5 ?

Last edited:

J3nga

And it has nothing to do with Avengers - which also came out this year and is multiplayer game ?! The avengers game is bad, right ?

I am confused what this is. They totally screwed the marketing. I was under the impression it is 4player coop or mmo type game...

I might try it... 3080 of ps5
Depends what you value in games, if it's the gameplay and well made mechanics then lower your expectations, if you like story and cutscenes then save your money and watch it on Youtube. GAF really liked this game and that is fine, but to me, someone who values gameplay this game sucked as the gameplay IMHO is a giant turd.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Having "CCCP" in your game is distressful as having Third Reich in you game and it isn't presented in a bad light.

Alright, I see myself out.
Technically CCCP are soulless assholes who send Cosmo the best boy to die in space. They are shown in bad light.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Technically CCCP are soulless assholes who send Cosmo the best boy to die in space. They are shown in bad light.
Well I sort of doubt that it's like that in game (unless you played, because I haven't)

Dazraell

It's worth to note it may not be that Tomb Raider team you may had in mind. Guardians is done by devs of Shadow of Tomb Raider and last two Deus Ex games. Some of these devs worked alongside Crystal Dynamics on Avengers too, but they were support team. This is their solo project

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

I can't speak to hdr but I get about 101 frames per second with everything maxed out and dlss on quality with a 3080.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's worth to note it may not be that Tomb Raider team you may had in mind. Guardians is done by devs of Shadow of Tomb Raider and last two Deus Ex games. Some of these devs worked alongside Crystal Dynamics on Avengers too, but they were support team. This is their solo project
I keep being puzzled in a great looking game such as this made by people that have worked on a Tomb Raider game how Starlord’s walk/run cycle looks so odd

Valt7786

Well I sort of doubt that it's like that in game (unless you played, because I haven't)
CCCP are barely mentioned at all, it's literally just the sign on his doggy-spacesuit.
He has a scene where he describes how the scientists take him from his family and force him into space, so they're hardly presented as heroes.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
CCCP are barely mentioned at all, it's literally just the sign on his doggy-spacesuit.
He has a scene where he describes how the scientists take him from his family and force him into space, so they're hardly presented as heroes.
Very well, glad to hear it.

Topher

Gold Member

Not the same team as Avengers team. This is made by the team that made Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. This is a good game, much better than Avengers.

Early on this game was creeping up my GOTY list, but it has fallen a bit. The combat is just ok and can be annoying at times. Where the game shines is in the story and dialogue. Some fun witty banter going on that fits what you would expect from a GOTG game.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yes
Not the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider team, the Eidos Montreal Shadow of the Tomb Raider team (which was the best of the trilogy).
Avengers came out in 2020.

They literally never said it was MP at all. It's not their fault that you made an assumption.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I decided to give it a try having read only enthusiastic things about this game literally everywhere on the Web!
I have my own prejudices toward it being not a fan of Marvel but I got extremely curious. Tomorrow I'll get it, hopefully I'll end up liking it too and share the same experience as you guys.

Last edited:

sojuwarrior

2 questions to the folks who finished or at least half way through...

what difficulty should I pick - normal or hard?
graphics or performance mode?

thanks in advance!

Luipadre

thanks in advance!

Normal is really easy and quality mode all the way. The games art demands the 4k ress and it looks amazing. The combat is mostly slowdowns and lockon and there are a lot of walking sessions so the 30 fps is not bad here

Aja

Neo Member
Finished it on PC (ryzen 7 with 3080). What a ride. Loved the game. First game in a looong time that I actually finished. Great graphics, great sound, great dialogue and great story. The combat was meh though and could be (much) better imo. But all in all a great game. I've really missed to feel something when playing a game but this game did it for me. Awsome!

Here is our review - thanks to Square for the code.

This was NOT reviewed by me but by one of my staff members, so the opinion is NOT mine.

Score - 8.5

Bit_Reactor

The trailers and demo snippets really didn’t do this game any justice. It’s one of the best story-driven games of the generation. Maybe it was just hard to demo the characterizations and comedy writing in short trailers too but this game ended up being a huge surprise. I thought it looked average in the marketing, though the launch and reveal trailers were fine, but mostly bought this game as a fan of Eidos and Deus Ex.
Yeah I went ahead and bought it and now I'm like "holy shit this game deserved better attention."

It's more akin to Mass Effect than anything. Shallow combat gameplay with really good contextual actions and dialogues.

The real triumph is the sheer VOLUME of contextual dialogues and idle dialogues. I find myself at this point just chilling in the ship waiting for all their dialogue to exhaust (which takes a while) to make sure I hear all their fun banter.

The "walk of shame" if you go investigate Rocket's pathway he walked away from, the amount of dialogue depending on if you listen or don't listen to people, walk out a room, aren't in a room, etc. The programming and triggers built into this game are astoundingly good.

Nothing is cringe about this game... This has one of the best and most natural writing in a video game

I really feel like the marketing fucked this game, because that first trailer it felt like 30 minutes of tumblr writers yelling at each other and now I see that it's far better.

Again like above I feel it's more akin to a pop culture Mass Effect.

GymWolf

Jesus rocket is such an annoying cunt where i'm now, don't care if his past is tragic, the guy need to chill the fuck up or next time i'm gonna let drax throw him in the void...

DonJorginho

Banned
Finished it last night, I thought the final hour or so was quite a slog, the final boss was a drag and it was also painfully obvious what was going to happen so the build up to that point was extra monotonous for me personally.

However, none of this detracted majorly from what has been one of my favourite games this year, I loved my time with it and I hope and pray that this game gets a sequel as it thoroughly deserves as such.

Shmunter

Yet to play, but one thing I’m not clear on is the level of sophistication to the characters and dialogue. Is it a step above Spider-Man? Because I simply found that game way to safe and monotonous in its story delivery.

DonJorginho

Banned
Yet to play, but one thing I’m not clear on is the level of sophistication to the characters and dialogue. Is it a step above Spider-Man? Because I simply found that game way to safe and monotonous in its story delivery.
leagues above Spider-Man for me writing wise, every interaction feels far more genuine and the characters never really had any awkward moments for me.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The character interaction is top-notch imo. Dialogue is constant but rarely grating. Think more Guardians of the galaxy 1 and not 2

Last edited:

Dibils2k

thanks in advance!
normal and graphics

the combat is auto aim with command system, no need for 60fps, especially since its 1080p. enjoy the spectacle of quality mode

DonJorginho

Banned
First PS5 game where I can say there is far more of an advantage playing in the 30fps mode.

The combat is nothing to do with precision so doesn't require the reflexes and the game really looks far worse in every way in performance mode, from hair rendering to art assets and general resolution, it's just a far worse experience.

Top Bottom