• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy |OT| We Got This...Kinda

Topher

Gold Member
Finished the game last night and got the platinum. Really good game. Witty, funny dialogue was great. Combat was just so-so. QTEs were a bit frustrating at times. Flying the Milano was bad but thankfully didn't happen much.

Solid 7.5/10

Yet to play, but one thing I’m not clear on is the level of sophistication to the characters and dialogue. Is it a step above Spider-Man? Because I simply found that game way to safe and monotonous in its story delivery.

Better story than Spider-Man, but gameplay wasn't nearly as good, imo.

First PS5 game where I can say there is far more of an advantage playing in the 30fps mode.

The combat is nothing to do with precision so doesn't require the reflexes and the game really looks far worse in every way in performance mode, from hair rendering to art assets and general resolution, it's just a far worse experience.

I agree 30fps wouldn't affect gameplay very much, but personally I couldn't tell any difference between the visuals while the choppiness of the slower frame rate seemed much more obvious.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Just started it today and I'm happy to confirm it really reminds me of FF7R in many aspects and I sure love that title 😄
Barely scratched the surface btw, starting chapter 3 now.

The only thing is that I can't really stick with performance mode nor quality. I can't decide which is best. Normally I always go for 60fps but the drop of resolution and blurriness of the performance mode really hits hard!

Also, any suggestions for hdr settings? I left brightness at 50 but maxed luminance. Not sure I'm doing it right though...

Last edited:

Luipadre

Just started it today and I'm happy to confirm it really reminds me of FF7R in many aspects and I sure love that title 😄

The only thing is that I can't really stick with performance mode nor quality. I can't decide which is best. Normally I always go for 60fps but the drop of resolution and blurriness of the performance mode really hits hard!

Also, any suggestions for hdr settings? I left brightness at 50 but maxed luminance. Not sure I'm doing it right though...

Quality here, no question

wvnative

Combat is bland and sometimes tedious...

But goddamn, everything else has been magnificent. Game of the year so far (Horizon 5 is amazing but i'm one of the snobs who won't rate a car game as GOTY...unless it's a new burnout)

GymWolf

Yet to play, but one thing I’m not clear on is the level of sophistication to the characters and dialogue. Is it a step above Spider-Man? Because I simply found that game way to safe and monotonous in its story delivery.
Far better than spidey.

And i liked spidey.

For the guy who was asking normal or hard, i'm playing hard and the game is super easy, take that as you want...

Last edited:

benzy

Facial animations in this game are top notch. Really sells the dramatic moments

VT6tyZ3.gif

tAyBnHr.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I was pretty hard on the game earlier as I just come off Metroid dread ( I mean come on ) but it’s actually a fun time sink. It’s short enough to do multiple play throughs and has enough branching choices to make multiple play throughs worth it.

Justin9mm

I normally go for performance and this game is infinitely better in quality mode. That is also the general consensus.

Do yourself a favour, stick it on quality and forget about it. If they patch it to increase res on performance mode then maybe re-visit otherwise just stick it on quality and get used to the 30fps. The combat does not demand 60fps and the game is basically a GOTG CGI movie anyway. The native 4K really is beautiful in most of the game, it's really not worth playing in performance mode, you are losing so much more than frames.

BaneIsPain

Finally, platinum it. It was a fun ride with solid recommendations. I come with low expectations during the reveal and I have been enjoying it thoroughly.
Although, I wish we could control all characters and maybe better control.
Stunning graphics with great voice acting (sometimes it does sound like GoTG movie).

TrebleShot

Finished this last night in Quality mode 30fps wasnt too bad so stuck to that at 4k and it looks absolutely incredible, amazing its cross gen.

As for the experience, loved it, don't really get the CGI game movie thing , its more of a linear action adventure game in the vein of Uncharted and in a landscape absolutely full of non-linear cookie clutter open world games emergent story telling that barely scratches any itch for narrative it was a breath of fresh air.

Brilliant game with a bit finicky combat but very much in contention for GOTY.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Only on Chapter 12, been taking it slow, playing maybe an hour or two a day, kinda want this one to last. I'm really just constantly impressed by how good the VA is.
The only va I have a problem with is Star Lords. He comes across as a little surfer dudeish. Like Sean Penn in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Perfo

Only on Chapter 12, been taking it slow, playing maybe an hour or two a day, kinda want this one to last. I'm really just constantly impressed by how good the VA is.
VA is so good here, like perfectly good when it comes to the main cast. I love them all.

But what a mess that battle system goddamn, why these western devs never, never seem to able to develop a decent battle system! Every single "flarking" time they come up with the most horrible unpolished and unfocused mess!

At least copy well and call it a day. 😒

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
VA is so good here, like perfectly good when it comes to the main cast. I love them all.

But what a mess that battle system goddamn, why these western devs never, never seem to able to develop a decent battle system! Every single "flarking" time they come up with the most horrible unpolished and unfocused mess!
Not enough Karate in our diet.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I just finished the game and I must say I am very pleasantly surprised, I had much more fun with it than with Spiderman or other superhero games from the recent years. I really like how the game captured the humor and overall tone of the movies. It can be funny and it's not forced humor, but it can also be serious when it needs to. Maybe it wasn't spectacular from the gameplay perspective (it didn't surprise me with any unique mechanics late in the campaign), but it was still very good and watching all of the Guardians wreak havoc and work together was enjoyable. I also really enjoyed how many licensed songs there were in the game and how well some of them were included as a background to what's happening on the screen and not just a random tune playing when exploring the ship.

Not quite finished yet. At chap 14 now. But really enjoying the story and dialogue in this! Even the graphics are pretty great. Playing this on PS5.

But man oh man does the gameplay part feels unpolished or unfinished!!

I can't believe they threw this much money into the games production but then left gameplay in a state like this.

This could have been an actual GOTY contender if only it had the gameplay of even an average game.

Perfo

Not quite finished yet. At chap 14 now. But really enjoying the story and dialogue in this! Even the graphics are pretty great. Playing this on PS5.

But man oh man does the gameplay part feels unpolished or unfinished!!

I can't believe they threw this much money into the games production but then left gameplay in a state like this.

This could have been an actual GOTY contender if only it had the gameplay of even an average game.

Yeah it is actually quite striking, you mostly have the production values of a main FF title but when you actually play it the game feels rushed out... the basics are there, should even work fine on paper and there's some very interesting stuff going on with the gameplay, but then when you actually get to play it everything falls short. Maybe with a sequel they can really deliver the perfect product next time.

Last edited:

saintjules

I assume raytracing support under 30fps? I would have liked to have seen potential better resolution at 60fps.

Will be on sale on Black Friday for $35, so will be good to dive in then.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looking forward to the pc patch. Performance on my machine is great 95 percent of the time but I get weird very noticeable slowdowns on occasion. Hopefully, I'll see some gains in those areas.

GymWolf

Finished it a couple of days ago, if they can vastly expand combat and exploration while having the same writing quality and location variety the sequel is gonna be big.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just picked this up on Xbox, thanks to the black friday sale. You guys better not have been pulling my leg when you all said this was good.

buenoblue

I find that lower res and 1080p games look better if I set the ps5 to output 1080p. Let the tv do the scaling, on my Philips tv it looks alot sharper. Playing gaurdians of the galaxy on performance with ps5 set to 1080p the game looks great.

Just picked this up on Series X because of the black Friday sale.

What mode does everyone prefer playing on? Performance or Quality? and I wonder what the FPS is for the ray tracing mode

Denton

This game is kinda masterpiece, would be my GOTY if not for Forgotten City. Eidos Montreal is great.

Lady Hellbender look like Cassandra from Asassins Creed Odyssey?
Totally, incredibly similar model. Not a bad thing though. Kassandra was the best thing about Odyssey.

Last edited:

gela94

This game is kinda masterpiece, would be my GOTY if not for Forgotten City. Eidos Montreal is great.

Totally, incredibly similar model. Not a bad thing though. Kassandra was the best thing about Odyssey.
Yes I agree not bad at all and yes she was the best thing about ACO

Shmunter

Ok, run the base rez at 1080p, but use a layer of reconstruction on top for crying out loud

Last edited:

gow3isben

Amazing game. Gameplay could use some improvements but damn is the story, graphics, and overall presentation so stellar. Characters are top tier. Lore is great. Can't say enough good things. Favorite game of the PS5 era.

I hope there is a sequel and huge improvements are made in gameplay otherwise make it exactly l like this. I love all the distinct environments and worlds they crafted.

And wow this is one of the longest purely linear games I have every played like 18 hours

Last edited:

Markio128

It’s a great game. The combat can be a little haphazard at times, but the visuals, story, script and characters are all top tier. I also love the 80’s soundtrack - it really adds that extra sheen. If the devs can make the combat a bit more satisfying, then the sequel could be a GOTY contender.

Zathalus

Finished this game on PS5 and had a blast. RT patch has made me do a new game plus and I must say the RT really does look good in this game.

Last edited:

sainraja

I haven't read through the rest of the thread but I wanted to share my impressions of the game so far. I am really like it — the character interactions, the gameplay....it's very fun!

bargeparty

I just picked this up from the sale, on pc. Anyone know if there's a big or noticeable difference from RTX high to very high? Been trying to compare or find a comparison.

Darsxx82

Started playing this and I am blown away by how great the graphics and art design is in this game.
In my humble opinion, it is one of the most graphically and artistically impressive games out there. Little or nothing to envy the most mentioned games on a graphical level in general for being exclusive.

But it is also that it has been a very good game in general and with a super entertaining story ..... and fun.
Sadly, GOTG has had to deal with not very good ads trailers, SE's background with Marvel Avernger and I add not having the hook of being exclusive that always helps to sell better.
My wish that GOTG do well from now on with word of mouth and serve to rethink SE in projects in the face of the failure of Avenger.

Top Bottom