• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive FTC Leak: Mid Gen Xbox Hardware, Series S/X Refreshes, New Controller, and Game Plans!

I bought a Series X at my local Walmart on December 29th. It was the last one in the case and it was on sale for $350.
As of today, the case is restocked with four more units at $450.

Looks like that may be the exception rather than the rule. I've looked at Walmarts across the country online and I've yet to find a single one that has the Series X as available to pick up in store today.

Darsxx82

I think, and time will tell, that Microsoft is absolutely going to have exclusives on their hardware.

I know some people here have an unhinged obsession with console wars and Sony triumphing over Microsoft, but Destiny 2 is on Xbox, Bungie's already announced that Marathon is going to be on Xbox. I don't see Xbox disappearing into the sea because Hifi Rush, Minecraft and COD are on PlayStation and Switch. I think that there's a good chance that both Microsoft and Sony will see the benefit in certain titles reaching larger audiences while keeping other titles exclusive and more part of their brand.
This.

My advice is that you don't expect some people here to understand the logic of your argument and its possibilities. There are people who have already decided to conclude that MS is abandoning the development of console hardware and therefore any option that involves launching a new XBOX console (whatever its form or approach) will be discussed or denied.

Definitely, if MS decides (as everything indicates) that it is going to continue releasing console hardware, that console is going to have Xbox exclusives. This regardless of what they plan to do with XSeries between now and the end of its life cycle about exclusives.

Just think how MS has refused and continues to refuse to accept the obligation to release ABK and Bethesda games on consoles PS and (Nintendo) Switch beyond COD for 10 years.

That is to say, it is clear that MS has a clear intention not to be subject to any limitations when deciding. You can perfectly launch XSeries games on PS5 or Switch that does not mean that you cant decide to give maximum priority and enhance your new product.

That is why I have said on other occasions that everything will depend on what type of product MS wants to offer. A console with the possibility of selling 45+ million (then it will necessarily need exclusivity of games) or one of 25-30 million (then the multiplatformity of everything would make sense)

In my case, I believe that MS is not going to launch a product destined to be residual. In fact I don't see Sarah Bond being placed as head of hardware just to prepare a residual product.

With MS it is difficult to put your hand in the fire about what they do or are going to do. But if I had to bet I would do it this way in order of possibilities:

1- It will launch a revision of XSX to reduce costs. In 2025 a PRO console or hardware that moves away from generations.

2-It will launch agnostic hardware in 2026. Separate from PS6 generations. In the manner of periodic updates.

3-MS abandons the development of console hardware and its own ecosystem and converts to the EA or Taketwo model.

4-MS launches hardware without exclusives and supports OEMs. The hardware will have a completely residual importance and will be left to possible third-party opportunities in the manner of Windows handleahd.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Man this is scary looking back. MS coming out with a "new" console in 2025 would be a nightmare for them and a few in the industry.
Exactly. I can't believe they're stupid enough to make this mistake - assuming this is true.

It'll be a MUCH bigger mistake than Series S.
  • No big third-party publisher will support the console by launching an Xbox Next exclusive.
  • Launching the new console so soon will piss off the Xbox community
  • Series S users will be left behind in the dust
  • The market will not hype this as a "console launch year" because there won't be a new PlayStation coming.
  • They will only have a couple of first-party games to launch with it. And they can't make those "next-gen exclusives" because most of the games have already been announced to release on Xbox Series X and S.
  • Xbox Next will be outdated so soon when PS6 launches

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The issue is that it is no longer possible to make AAA games for less than 3 years at minimum. So if they ended up launching a new console in 2025 it would be without any exclusive next gen games.

There is really no point launching next gen if you don't ship something with it. In fact it is downright embarrassing that Series X launched with Halo Infinite on the cover, but without the actual game being available.

There is nothing physically wrong with Series X anyway. No one is claiming the hardware is flawed. So launching next gen early would fix nothing that needed fixing. Instead it would just cause even more stress on the software pipeline. Telling developers that their game needed to be ready two years in advance than planned, is not going to make them happy.

This is my favorite GAF post of the year! It's so spot on, that it's as if you are an executive for Sony or Nintendo. Everybody will be laughing at MS if they launch a next-gen system in 2025.

Last edited:

Elios83

I think, and time will tell, that Microsoft is absolutely going to have exclusives on their hardware.

I know some people here have an unhinged obsession with console wars and Sony triumphing over Microsoft, but Destiny 2 is on Xbox, Bungie's already announced that Marathon is going to be on Xbox. I don't see Xbox disappearing into the sea because Hifi Rush, Minecraft and COD are on PlayStation and Switch. I think that there's a good chance that both Microsoft and Sony will see the benefit in certain titles reaching larger audiences while keeping other titles exclusive and more part of their brand.

Now you're just changing argument.
We were talking about launching a new console in 2025 and call it the start of a new gen as if these were the 360 days.
That is impossible for different market realities.
Microsoft won't make console exclusives anymore, everything is console/PC day one these days. Do you think they're going backwards on that?
They also can't drop support to Series hardware so soon, that would mean to give the "L" precisely to the smaller and smaller fanbase that has always supported them.
And finally there's the market reality of third party publishers that are not going to make exclusives for a specific console/model of the Xbox family when we're barely out of the previous cross gen phase.

So again, they can pretty much launch new hardware in 2025 or whenever they want, but their strategy is obviously going towards more multiplatform and iterational hardware that is just one of the options to enjoy their games. Suggesting that this can be equal to do what they did with the 360 is deeply misleading.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Man this is scary looking back. MS coming out with a "new" console in 2025 would be a nightmare for them and a few in the industry.
I wouldn't near bet the farm MS is doing this but its 100% something they have looked very deep into and if not in '25 than early '26 with a Zen 5 console

Where they stand today I don't know because first heard this 4 or 5 months ago so I do not know if it turned out viable

But I also know I haven't heard otherwise plus I don't know where the dataminer Kepler got his info but he is also on board with a much earlier next gen Xbox launching before PS6

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
thus proving my point, that "generation" is a largely meaningless term, and a pro console could be named whatever you like for all the relevance it has on the software it can play.
It is not a meaningless term.

Each generation of consoles has exclusives that could not be played on previous-gen consoles. Every PS4 can play PS4 Pro games. But a PS4 cannot play PS5 games.

aclar00

No one cares about subscription services growth has stalled for years

I dont think it has to be subscriptions in and of itself, but also the push to have access to games on a variety of devices outside of its home turf. E.g. Playstation games on PC and the ability to stream them remotely. Next logical step in my mind would be to push to a subscription model. Why not just give access to everyone all at once? Allow streaming without the need for a console?

I personally dont want this and hope subs are dying...but cant shake the feeling that its more of a when and not if.

Killjoy-NL

This.

My advice is that you don't expect some people here to understand the logic of your argument and its possibilities. There are people who have already decided to conclude that MS is abandoning the development of console hardware and therefore any option that involves launching a new XBOX console (whatever its form or approach) will be discussed or denied.

Definitely, if MS decides (as everything indicates) that it is going to continue releasing console hardware, that console is going to have Xbox exclusives. This regardless of what they plan to do with XSeries between now and the end of its life cycle about exclusives.

Just think how MS has refused and continues to refuse to accept the obligation to release ABK and Bethesda games on consoles PS and (Nintendo) Switch beyond COD for 10 years.

That is to say, it is clear that MS has a clear intention not to be subject to any limitations when deciding. You can perfectly launch XSeries games on PS5 or Switch that does not mean that you cant decide to give maximum priority and enhance your new product.

That is why I have said on other occasions that everything will depend on what type of product MS wants to offer. A console with the possibility of selling 45+ million (then it will necessarily need exclusivity of games) or one of 25-30 million (then the multiplatformity of everything would make sense)

In my case, I believe that MS is not going to launch a product destined to be residual. In fact I don't see Sarah Bond being placed as head of hardware just to prepare a residual product.

With MS it is difficult to put your hand in the fire about what they do or are going to do. But if I had to bet I would do it this way in order of possibilities:

1- It will launch a revision of XSX to reduce costs. In 2025 a PRO console or hardware that moves away from generations.

2-It will launch agnostic hardware in 2026. Separate from PS6 generations. In the manner of periodic updates.

3-MS abandons the development of console hardware and its own ecosystem and converts to the EA or Taketwo model.

4-MS launches hardware without exclusives and supports OEMs. The hardware will have a completely residual importance and will be left to possible third-party opportunities in the manner of Windows handleahd.
There's one big elephant in the room though:

People don't want Xbox anymore.

mckmas8808

You've just described PS5, PS6 will be the same thing for the first few years. As noted they made a play to push people to jump to next gen then released the games on PS4 anyway.

There's no reason why you couldn't sell PS5 alongside PS6. There's no real reason to call a console "Pro" instead of just adding a number to the model name. The PS5 Pro might as well be called PS6 for all the difference it'll make to the games it'll play.

I'm not sure you seem to understand the difference between what a PRO model is and what a next-gen console is designed to do. Stop viewing this from MS' viewpoint. View it from Sony's viewpoint. Jim Ryan was right when it said, "we believe in generations". Most people never read the following sentences after that quote so here it is.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

The bolded is the KEY point that many seemed to have missed.

ReBurn

Gold Member
To be honest, as someone who owns all 3 systems, I'd welcome them falling out of sync with one another, it'd be great for there to be more launches to look forward to and for new hardware to be more different to each other (in the case of Series X/ Ps5).
Part of me wonders if there's a benefit to both platforms in releasing near simultaneously though - in terms of awareness, press coverage, etc. But I can imagine that getting a year head start with what will basically be roughly as capable as your competitors' hardware would be an ideal spot for any platform to find themselves in, IMO. Get tomorrow today, etc. As long as you have some software to demonstrate the differences.
That was kind of the case with the PS360 generation. The 360 released a year before the PS3 and despite being less powerful on paper it did as well or better than PS3 running third party games for most of the generation.

I don't think it would matter as much if they released a year earlier now, though. Everything is backward compatible so generations don't start with zero games any more. People are probably going to pick the platform that they have an existing library for. I think people would wait a year to get a PS6 if it launched after Xbox instead of switching platforms. Or some would get an Xbox to play better versions for a year and then sell it to buy a PlayStation when it released. I think that the only real chance for someone to truly switch platforms would be if Sony went all digital next generation and people couldn't carry their physical libraries forward, but that would probably be an edge case at best.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm not sure you seem to understand the difference between what a PRO model is and what a next-gen console is designed to do. Stop viewing this from MS' viewpoint. View it from Sony's viewpoint. Jim Ryan was right when it said, "we believe in generations". Most people never read the following sentences after that quote so here it is.

I think that from a consumer perspective, the idea is that a new system gives increased fidelity. And that's pretty much the difference. And in that sense, buying a pro model or a next-gen console isn't really any different. For a brand, sure, there's a difference in branding and how much promotion you do, how many people you expect to sell to, but in reality for the consumer, the end experience isn't so different. When I played Modern Warfare on Series X it wasn't a night and day difference for people playing it on the last console, One X. Better, sure. But not really so different.

As said, Jim Ryan believed in generations and the power of the PS5 storage, and let's face it the guy was good at marketing, he got the message out there that this machine would offer new experiences and have new capabilities that would be impossible on PS4 and then it turned out that some next gen only games worked just fine on the PS4 and on PCs without fast NVME drives and that a few of the most exciting games coming for PS5 would just be remakes of PS4 games with better lighting.

So, it seems like even he's muddied the water a little bit, I can understand why it might be confusing.

Last edited:
You've just described PS5, PS6 will be the same thing for the first few years. As noted they made a play to push people to jump to next gen then released the games on PS4 anyway.

There's no reason why you couldn't sell PS5 alongside PS6. There's no real reason to call a console "Pro" instead of just adding a number to the model name. The PS5 Pro might as well be called PS6 for all the difference it'll make to the games it'll play.
I think it's more about the generation itself. All PS5 games will be made with PS5 Pro in mind. PS6 games won't always be made with PS5 and PS5 Pro in mind.

Calling PS5 Pro the PS6 would make no sense whatsoever. From a PR point of view makes no sense and would only cause confusion for no reason...but that's something Xbox knows how to do i mean...Xbox....Xbox 360...Xbox One...Xbox One X...Xbox Series X...can't wait for what's next.

demigod

I think it's more about the generation itself. All PS5 games will be made with PS5 Pro in mind. PS6 games won't always be made with PS5 and PS5 Pro in mind.

Calling PS5 Pro the PS6 would make no sense whatsoever. From a PR point of view makes no sense and would only cause confusion for no reason...but that's something Xbox knows how to do i mean...Xbox....Xbox 360...Xbox One...Xbox One X...Xbox Series X...can't wait for what's next.
Xbox Air

Yup. The Series X is the most powerful console out and it was $350 last month as stores were selling out of PS5.

They're practically giving away their consoles and games at this point and people still aren't biting. Now they're talking about yet more convoluted hardware instead of just making a bunch of good fucking games like their competitors.

Killjoy-NL

I think that from a consumer perspective, the idea is that a new system gives increased fidelity. And that's pretty much the difference. And in that sense, buying a pro model or a next-gen console isn't really any different. For a brand, sure, there's a difference in branding and how much promotion you do, how many people you expect to sell to, but in reality for the consumer, the end experience isn't so different. When I played Modern Warfare on Series X it wasn't a night and day difference for people playing it on the last console, One X. Better, sure. But not really so different.

As said, Jim Ryan believed in generations and the power of the PS5 storage, and let's face it the guy was good at marketing, he got the message out there that this machine would offer new experiences and have new capabilities that would be impossible on PS4 and then it turned out that some next gen only games worked just fine on the PS4 and on PCs without fast NVME drives and that a few of the most exciting games coming for PS5 would just be remakes of PS4 games with better lighting.

So, it seems like even he's muddied the water a little bit, I can understand why it might be confusing.
PS4 Pro was only 10% of the PS4 total installbase, most of which likely double-dipped.

A Pro version =/= a new gen, even the average consumer understands that.

Last edited:

intbal

The xsx at $350 is by far the best gaming hardware you can buy .. you scored.
I actually wasn't even going to bother.
I'm more of a BC gamer these days. I really don't like modern game design. And XCloud works well enough that I figured my One X would be the last console I'd ever buy.
I couldn't pass it up at that price, though. Even if it's just to serve as a replacement (plus the FPS boost is nice on a few titles).
I was a bit disappointed that it didn't include a Gamepass trial. Every Xbox I've purchased has had at least some free Gamepass included.
I'm pretty sure even the Xbox 360E I bought in 2015 included a code for two weeks of Gamepass, even though the 360 didn't support it.

Darsxx82

That's been said since 2000.....
Nobody wanted XBOX 1 and X360 was launched.... Nobody wanted XBO and MS launched XSeries.... No one wanted N64 and GameCube was launched... no one wanted GameCu e and Wii was launched... no one wanted WiiU and Switch was launched... It all depends on what proposal you offer and if you are right with that proposal. Otherwise you're just saying that people only buy PlayStation by default and reject everything else by default.

That said, then you wonder about the farce of those in the ABK acquisition thread defending the FTC and affirming the possibility of MS establishing a monopoly on consoles with de NextGen Xbox.. 🤔🙃

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I was going to post that all of the people complaining about the next Xbox coming in 2025 were crazy as that would mean a 7 year life which isn’t bad… but then I looked and the Xbox came in 2020, not 2018 (no idea where I got that from) and was taken back about how wrong I was. It’s only been 3 years would then only be 5. That’s pretty short even in the old generations and total out of step with the current ones. If anything, they should just ride it out and get a real solid slate of games ready for 2027.

demigod

I was going to post that all of the people complaining about the next Xbox coming in 2025 were crazy as that would mean a 7 year life which isn’t bad… but then I looked and the Xbox came in 2020, not 2018 (no idea where I got that from) and was taken back about how wrong I was. It’s only been 3 years would then only be 5. That’s pretty short even in the old generations and total out of step with the current ones. If anything, they should just ride it out and get a real solid slate of games ready for 2027.
They fucked up and didn’t have a Pro plan. PS5 Pro will be a huge seller with GTA 6. Phil was being arrogant and thought they had this gen in the bag with a low and high cost hardware.

Darsxx82

They have a point though.
Since the Xbox brand is dying, MS is throwing money around to stay relevant.
They have been in that situation for 22 years and yet they have continued to insist.... Why, precisely now (when they are in the best possible position to support their own hardware), is there no possibility of them continuing to insist?

I understand that some of you have decided that the only possibility is for MS to stop making console hardware and you don't see or want to see another possibility..... but that is far from meaning a fact.

No one can be certain what MS is going to do. But the fact is that today there are many more indications that they are developing new hardware, that there is a roadmap (confirmed by P. Spencer) and a person in charge of it (Sarah Bond).... The only unknown is the plan what they have and the type of product or proposal they want to launch on the market and what their sales target is...

mckmas8808

If the bolded is the only thing consumers think a next-gen console is supposed to provide, then they are stupid and simply don't pay attention.

Things the PS5 offers that the PS4 doesn't......

1. Access to PS5 only games (Demon Souls Remake, RC: Rift Apart, GTA6, Spiderman 2, Returnal, FF 16, FF 7: Rebirth, etc)
2. Ability to play PSVR2
3. Access to the Dual-Sense controller
4. Ability to use the new Playstation Portal
5. Ability to stream games directly from the PS5 (and not need to download and install them).

There are more advantages than those 5. But it's not Sony's fault that Microsoft decided not to do any of those things listed above, as of yet. But the two companies view console generations differently.

Darsxx82

So the brand is not dying.....quite the opposite. XBOX is close to being the number 1 brand in revenue and with numerous highly successful IPs that can create a significant impact among users.

That is an incentive and a potential for a new product to be successful if it hits the right button. And that's what MS seems to be thinking when it's only willing to commit itself to COD and "only" for 10 years.

A new XBoxNext (with key hardware) debuting with XGS+ABK+Bethesda mayor exclusives vs PS6 would be a product with potential regardless of what XSeries was and how it ends.
As I say, at least a few months ago in the thread of the ABK acquisition it was what an immense majority here defended in line with the FTC to defend the prohibition of said acquisition 🤗

You just have to see how today it is impossible to predict what the next hit is and what decides success or failure (Palworld)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

That's really distorting what was said and by who. Insomniac said R&C wasn't possible on PS4 due to the lack of PS5's SSD. What made R&C possible on PC was direct storage..

The only thing Jim Ryan said was his "we believe in generations" which has been wildly misinterpreted. Ryan listed exaclty what he meant by offering new experiences in a generation and it wasn't about games being on PS5 only.

Bry0

I’m certainly interested in a new elite with the improvements to haptics and such. I tend to prefer Xbox controllers for pc.

mckmas8808

That's really distorting what was said and by who. Insomniac said R&C wasn't possible on PS4 due to the lack of PS5's SSD. What made R&C possible on PC was direct storage..

The only thing Jim Ryan said was his "we believe in generations" which has been wildly misinterpreted. Ryan listed exaclty what he meant by offering new experiences in a generation and it wasn't about games being on PS5 only.

Yup and like I listed above 4 of these on the list are things Microsoft are either not attempting to do or view differently than Sony.

1. Ability to play PSVR2
2. Access to the Dual-Sense controller (new controller only for the next-gen console)
3. Ability to use the new PlayStation Portal
4. Ability to stream games directly from the PS5 (and not need to download and install them).

twilo99

I actually wasn't even going to bother.
I'm more of a BC gamer these days. I really don't like modern game design. And XCloud works well enough that I figured my One X would be the last console I'd ever buy.
I couldn't pass it up at that price, though. Even if it's just to serve as a replacement (plus the FPS boost is nice on a few titles).
I was a bit disappointed that it didn't include a Gamepass trial. Every Xbox I've purchased has had at least some free Gamepass included.
I'm pretty sure even the Xbox 360E I bought in 2015 included a code for two weeks of Gamepass, even though the 360 didn't support it.

I guess it won't make much of a difference for you, but if you ever decide that you want to play a modern game at least it should handle it better than your one x.

At that price the cost to performance ratio is simply unbeatable tho

The gamepass thing is probably something to do with Walmart..

bitbydeath

Gold Member
So the brand is not dying.....quite the opposite. XBOX is close to being the number 1 brand in revenue and with numerous highly successful IPs that can create a significant impact among users.

That is an incentive and a potential for a new product to be successful if it hits the right button. And that's what MS seems to be thinking when it's only willing to commit itself to COD and "only" for 10 years.

A new XBoxNext (with key hardware) debuting with XGS+ABK+Bethesda mayor exclusives vs PS6 would be a product with potential regardless of what XSeries was and how it ends.
As I say, at least a few months ago in the thread of the ABK acquisition it was what an immense majority here defended in line with the FTC to defend the prohibition of said acquisition 🤗

You just have to see how today it is impossible to predict what the next hit is and what decides success or failure (Palworld)
images

Who’s alt are you?

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Not happy with this, personally. I love most of the new features, but the death of physical for Xbox makes me very sad.
I was about to ask that too. I knew you were more in favor of physical media. This should, however, be a way to test the market for a larger named console manufacturer (and who better) to prove whether or not the world is ready for that 'all digital' future. Another part of me sees some of the desperate tactics SEGA used nearly 25-years ago when they saw their hardware industry falling apart. It was one thing after the next, all too fast and without enough time for them to genuinely build a proper consumer target audience to market with. Hopefully, that's not the case here. Although, I'd buy a brand new DC any day over this.

NickFire

They fucked up and didn’t have a Pro plan. PS5 Pro will be a huge seller with GTA 6. Phil was being arrogant and thought they had this gen in the bag with a low and high cost hardware.
In my opinion they already released their version of the pro. It’s called the Series X.

S0ULZB0URNE

"Definitely, if MS decides (as everything indicates) that it is going to continue releasing console hardware, that console is going to have Xbox exclusives. This regardless of what they plan to do with XSeries between now and the end of its life cycle about exclusives."
FRWpaZi.jpg

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Looks like that may be the exception rather than the rule. I've looked at Walmarts across the country online and I've yet to find a single one that has the Series X as available to pick up in store today.

Just for giggles, I checked all four Walmart Supercenters in my city, and all of them show the Xbox Series X is in stock and ready for in-store pickup.

With the whole PS5 pro is PS6 conversation I believe it's exactly why Sony would never change CPU's in a mid-gen console from Sony's perspective that usually signifies a new generation even from a development standpoint it would put extra stress on devs and confuse the consumer even more. This is probably why Microsoft isn't doing a mid-gen this time around because they know it needs to be a game changer with a new cpu intact which is something they'd never do for a mid-gen refresh so them starting next-gen early makes a ton a sense when I think about it from that perspective.

demigod

BclZrRR.png

It’s there at $449 near me. Weird I don’t see it on Amazon. Looks like they dropped msrp to $449 at certain retailers.

BclZrRR.png

It’s there at $449 near me. Weird I don’t see it on Amazon. Looks like they dropped msrp to $449 at certain retailers.

Maybe something to do with geolocation. Tried the same zip code and it was still only showing availability for shipping. Tried in incognito mode and it showed the same thing.

demigod

Maybe something to do with geolocation. Tried the same zip code and it was still only showing availability for shipping. Tried in incognito mode and it showed the same thing.
You sure you put in the correct zip codes? Walmart is shitty so it doesn’t change zip code unless you do it correctly or multiple times.

Top Bottom