• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella NPD: the extended sales strength of Switch will likely be the real story of video game hardware in holiday 2020 not PS5 and XBS

Fake

You know Matt doesn't run NPD right? He's an employee, other companies don't pay him to do anything.

Still trying to understand what you want to say. He is not behaving like a member of any company by doing that. If he is not the owner, he can't even do such statments like that.

It may be that companies wanted less data shared, but is there any evidence to back that up or just a guess? Who do you think paid NPD to stop giving hardware numbers?

If some tweet left for to use, he already stated that long time ago about not fuel console wars. Thats 'why' he stoped to give numbers. Feel free to search on his twitter, if he not deleted as most of his tweet he usally do.

I guess even here on Neogaf before the split, but again.

What data would you like NPD to show and why do you think them not giving you that data means the company has problems?

Err... numbers? Instead of saying 'real story', like others game console data companies do? He don't even take into consideration the short supply issues on his twitter.

If I would recommend you some really good guy that talk better than him about sales, stick with BenjiSales.

Last edited:

Woopah

Still trying to understand what you want to say. He is not behaving like a member of any company by doing that. If he is not the owner, he can't even do such statments like that.

Almost everything Matt does on Twitter is marketing for NPD. The whole point of him having that account is to promote his employer. I can almost guarantee that most posts he makes there will go through some kind of approval process. He'll only share numbers that NPD allow him to share.

If some tweet left for to use, he already stated that long time ago about not fuel console wars. Thats 'why' he stoped to give numbers. Feel free to search on his twitter, if he not deleted as most of his tweet he usally do.

I guess even here on Neogaf before the split, but again.
NPD limited the data they give us quite a while ago. Similar to other trackers, they keep most data secret so they can sell it to

Err... numbers? Instead of saying 'real story', like others game console data companies do? He don't even take into consideration the short supply issues on his twitter.

If I would recommend you some really good guy that talk better than him about sales, stick with BenjiSales.
Benji is great, but he also doesn't share numbers. That's because he's not allowed to by his company, just like Matt. So if you don't like Matt for not sharing numbers, why do you like Benji? Has Benji ever leaked numbers from his employer?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
"Why not both?" Or all 3?

If Xbox Series and PS5 did better numbers than PS4, XBO in 2013, how is that not big too?

Woopah

"Why not both?" Or all 3?

If Xbox Series and PS5 did better numbers than PS4, XBO in 2013, how is that not big too?
Its very big and very impressive. But from what Matt's saying Switch might have the biggest November for a decade or more.

Bodomism

Banned
Given how supply constrained both the PS5 and XSX are how in the world is this surprising?

Not to say Switch doesn't usually sell a lot, we all know it does.
Record breaking isn't something usual for console that already did record breaking sales in the last year with 6.6M console in the US and Switch is projecting to sell around 10M in this year which is insane achievements for console that about to enter its 4 years on the market without a single official price drop and without aggressive bundling like PS4 and XBO in the past.

cryptoadam

Banned
Switch is going to be a monster, and expect Dec and probably Jan as well. Q1/Q4 (depends where you live) might slow a bit but after March big hitters gonna drop and Pro gonna come out and start the craze again.

PS5 and XBOX will continue to fight amongst themselves splitting the market. But after the initial group of people who always buy new tech, these systems are going to need something better than cross gen games that run dynamically at 4K. And I think a lot of people have caught onto their game and know a Pro version is coming sooner rather than later.

It probably won't be until end of 2021 maybe 2022 until PS5 or XBOX finally takes a month from Nintendo.

Camaway2

The Switch is doing what all Nintendo portable systems have done since the original Game Boy: sell bucket loads for years after people think the public have moved on. Their long tail is legendary.

the_master

Yeah in this forum we are all talking about the Switch sales all day long. We don'even me tion the Xbox Series or the PS5. Not even to compare both version framerrates and resolutions,cayre we are too excited about Switch sales numbers...

Bryank75

Banned
Record breaking isn't something usual for console that already did record breaking sales in the last year with 6.6M console in the US and Switch is projecting to sell around 10M in this year which is insane achievements for console that about to enter its 4 years on the market without a single official price drop and without aggressive bundling like PS4 and XBO in the past.
Switch lite is basically a price drop..... a lower end model at 200 dollars. It's a bargain, comparing it to supply constrained consoles that are being sold on ebay for well over 1K, is a joke.

Agent X

PS5 and Xbox Series X are getting all the headlines because they're the relevant hardware now. That's what being "the real story" means. Contrary to popular belief, people don't play sales.

You're right, people don't play sales. They play games.

They also buy games, in order to play them. This process of buying is what generates the sales that we're discussing now.

Only because the other two are much more supply-constrained. If Sony and MS could fulfill the entire demand, there's no doubt the Switch would be a distant third, so that's irrelevant.

If Sony and Microsoft could satisfy the entire demand, then it would certainly pump up their own numbers, but it would not put much of a dent in Switch sales. Switch would still sell about the same.

There isn't a great deal of overlap between Switch and Sony/Microsoft consoles. People aren't choosing to buy Switches because they couldn't get a PS5 or Xbox Series X/S and had to "settle" for something else. They're choosing to buy Switches based on what the Switch has to offer.

If someone couldn't score a PS5 or Xbox Series X/S, then he might get a PS4 or Xbox One instead, assuming he didn't own one already.

Eanox

A console that has stock issues will magically outsell a console that is readily available. This is news to me.

It seems this specific person already forgot this

This is with stock issues. Who told you PS5 is not breaking records lol.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Given how supply constrained both the PS5 and XSX are how in the world is this surprising?

Not to say Switch doesn't usually sell a lot, we all know it does.

Isn't the Nintendo Switch supply constrained too due to 'artificial scarcity'?

Make no sense that Sony, a company many times bigger than Nintendo, couldn't produce as much or more PS5 than Nintendo can produce the Switch. or maybe Sony is practicing artificial scarcity too to drive up demand.

Bodomism

Banned
A console that has stock issues will magically outsell a console that is readily available. This is news to me.

It seems this specific person already forgot this

This is with stock issues. Who told you PS5 is not breaking records lol.
UK is the weakest market for Nintendo Switch in the top 5 dedicated gaming markets.

1. US the largest market - Nintendo Switch is dominating there and about to become the fastest selling gaming machine after this holiday months.

2. Japan is the second largest - Nintendo domination here is beyond scientific explanation not only in Hardware but also software.

3. France - Another Switch country where most of the physical software sales are Nintendo Switch exclusive with a few 3rd party games like FIFA, COD, and ubisoft games.

4. Germany - Switch is competing with Sony here with Switch software presence is very big but PS console is selling much better than Nintendo launch aligned here.

5. UK - Switch weakest market in comparison to the 4 other markets but the wind of change is starting to come as Nintendo Switch sales in 2020 will be the record breaking year of gaming hardware since X360 in 2010 record breaking year according to UK sales tracker.

Last edited:

ArtHands

That is what the non fanboy see's.

It's not about graphics are power. It's about pure gameplay. Switch wins that hands down.

Yah, people here be comparing resolution, framerate and raytracing here but beyond the bubble, gamers are actually buying up Animal Crossing and Mario Kart LOL

MrFunSocks

Banned
You don't even know what are you talking about, do you? Companies pay him to hide some information in case a game bomb. Get the picture?

'Bruh NDP makes money', dude every damn company that collect data earn moneys. I talking here about he being transparent like others data collectors. What he talking help nothing and refuse showing data show how much this dude have problems.

Its just like uncle Phil saying that he hate fanboys, but months ago was putting gasoline over them.
That's wrong, sorry.

NPDs business model literally relies on them selling access to this data. They do not give it out for free because then why would anyone pay them lots of money for access to it?

ArtHands

This guy is such a Switch fanboy

Just because he shared the fact that Nintendo Switch is winning in terms of sales doesn't make him a fanboy.

Considering the fact that Both PS5 and XboxSeries are sold out everywhere ... what a HUGE SURPRISE ....

Switch is sold out everywhere too. Artificial scarcity.

Last edited:
Just because he shared the fact that Nintendo Switch is winning in terms of sales doesn't make him a fanboy.

Switch is sold out everywhere too. Artificial scarcity.
Do you think he's actually saying that switch was the number one console for November? I think what he's saying is despite it not being number one he wants people to praise it anyways and he wants the narrative to be about their success

oagboghi2

I'm confident Switch will sell the most units, but can it beat PS5 in revenue? I doubt it.

Nevertheless I think records are going to be broken for units sold.
Yes it will. The switch is still $300 bucks. It if significantly outsells it, the revenue will be higher.

It's basic math now

ArtHands

Do you think he's actually saying that switch was the number one console for November? I think what he's saying is despite it not being number one he wants people to praise it anyways and he wants the narrative to be about their success

I think that's likely the case.

Not a surprise. The Switch has reached DS status in my opinion.
Fucking everyone owned a DS, and imma be honest, it was a fucking fantastic handheld.

What do you call yourself with all the mental gymnastics trying so desperately to downplay Nintendo's success then?

No, EVERY GAME IS SELLING WELL! It's why we've been flooded with sales numbers from TLOU 2 after the launch numbers, because it probably set some records.

Wait, that didn't happen? FFVIIR sold less than XV? Resi 3 sold like half of Resi 2 over the same period? There was an Avengers game? Watch Dogs Legion is discounted already? Crash 4? More like CRASHED MORE LMAO. Just ignore all that, COVID BUMP IS REAL!

carlosrox

Banned
It always amuses me how so called gamers can be so fucking asshurt when the gaming company that STARTED THIS GANGSTA SHIT does well.

Real gaming started with Nintendo, not that Atari shit. Come at me.

We talkin' bout the motherfuckers who brought all this to gaming.

Show some respect you fucktards.

🤣🤣🤣

And that was just their first system! Do I need to break out the SNES and N64?

Last edited:
Top Bottom