• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella NPD: the extended sales strength of Switch will likely be the real story of video game hardware in holiday 2020 not PS5 and XBS

Probably comes from the same place as the narrative that "hardcore" gamers are actually hardcore and thats somehow better than being a casual gamer.
I don't know what you're talking about. Most people who are casual gamers are casual because other things in life take up their time. remember when it used to be that the people who spent all their time playing video games were nerds and geeks and suffered the derision of society? The only thing that changed is being a hardcore gamer is now lucrative and money legitimizes anything in a lot of people's minds. If someone brags about being a hardcore gamer just brag back about having a wife and a house and a sex life or whatever the hell else do what you used to do. The fact that there's an upper crust of hardcore gamers who can make money off of this and live off of it shouldn't mean it's better to be one than to be a casual gamer. A lot of us who wear the badge of hardcore gamer like it's a badge of honor do so simply because we're honest about who we are and we want people to know what we are. I'm sure there are insecure people who find security in such a status now that video games are a little more in than they used to be, but who really cares? I still remember my brother having some of his friends over and one of them saw my video game collection and decided to say right to me that someone would have to be a loser to collect so many video games his other friends thought that was funny. All of a sudden supposedly it's the hardcore gamers who are bullies because we're being gatekeepers the people were keeping out with our gatekeeping of the same people who kept us out of everything in life so go right to hell.

Hezekiah

Banned
Dude it's not like the switch wasnt also outselling ps4 and xbox one every damn year, or what dumb ass excuse do you have for that?

The switch is outselling everything because is a more appealing console for most people, end of story.
More appealing for most kids you mean. It has a younger demographic with a lower attach rate which reflects this.

I got a little mad at the end of that post picturing those people back then and looking at this poster trying to say the hardcore label doesn't apply to hardcore gamers for some reason. it's so weird to try and take that away from people who have nothing else in life what is the point?

I got a little mad at the end of that post picturing those people back then and looking at this poster trying to say the hardcore label doesn't apply to hardcore gamers for some reason. it's so weird to try and take that away from people who have nothing else in life what is the point?

You got PLENTY MAD in this thread my friend.

Dane

1 million in November and another in december, that's my bet, i think it could end up with 10 million in North America for this year.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
More appealing for most kids you mean. It has a younger demographic with a lower attach rate which reflects this.
Sony bundled 3 or more free games for holiday seasons with every PS4 sold to inflate the software numbers.

Take a look at Nintendo vs Sony gaming division profits.

Nintendo Switch in just 3 years made nearly the same profits as PS4 in 7 years thanks to software profits from Nintendo catalogue while Sony was giving away for free their games or selling less than $10 to inflate the numbers.

Here the graph of profits for Switch and PS4.

RNB2S9X.png

Casual gamers usually preferred to buy bundle games which is primarily what Sony did with PS4.

Kid now days play COD, FIFA, NBA2K, Battlefield, and GTA.

You can buy these bundles below cheaper than a base Switch
6380812_sd.jpg
ps4bundle1200-1578648031.webp
PS4-PRO-1TB-3-Games-Bundle-3-Months-Subscription-7722042.jpg

Sony made little profits from those bundled games with the system.

Zelda BOTW current MSRP - $59.99
Most Sony games not even half of that price after a few months on the market.

Last edited:
You got PLENTY MAD in this thread my friend.

If I get mad I let people know it I'm not here to hide anything. I think this piscatella guy is kind of a douche. I think you're taking it too much as me being some anti-nintendo guy. I'm not. In fact I'm a pretty OG Nintendo fan NES SNES N64 the only Nintendo system I haven't had besides virtual boy is the switch and that's partially because I don't have the money I used to lately. I was one of those people telling my friends at school the N64 was clearly the superior console to the PlayStation. I'm not mad at Nintendo and I don't have any problem with Nintendo fans in fact one of my recent long diatribe posts mentioned how Nintendo fans are probably the best warriors on this forum and the least obnoxious. Was most likely in The Meta thread if you want to see it. That said this piscatella guy has been like this for a while and the thing is you can say he's just a guy who reports on what happens in the industry but I believe he's a guy who wants to influence the industry and some of the things he said has pointed me in that directionswitch and that should be what you care about. It's all like I'm some big fan of Sony pony people who do the same thing. I no longer even read posts by that last word guy. I'm subject to my emotions and I like to speak my mind but I do everything I can to try and be fair on this forum while having a preference and yes right now the preference would be towards Sony because I think the model for how they're doing things is the best model. To me Sony is in the position Nintendo was one sin where they didn't just have an exclusive argument they also had an argument in terms of tech and they also had third party support that was really good. I might be a fool for wanting Nintendo to get back into the tech game with advanced looking games and for them to bring third parties back to the table but I'd really like to see it, I'd love another console generation where they're at the top because I'm not sure any consoles line up beats that of the super Nintendo or N64. Competition makes everyone better or at least I hope it does sometimes competition just makes people add micro transactions and games as a service but then of course you can come up and be like hey look at our games that don't do that I think that was a lot of the good argument for Nintendo I think they lost some of that when they did the paid for online I really wish they hadn't done that. Anyways I like you buddy you're a good poster sorry for this long rant I didn't mean to come off like I'm some kind of anti-nintendo guy.

If I get mad I let people know it I'm not here to hide anything.

I actually read all that and you're a good poster too my man. You made some sensible arguments, though I don't agree very much since Nintendo, for all their microaggressions, steer closer to that PS2 era mentality of games that I absolutely adore. Their overall philosophy pleases me and I'm not a very tech inclined guy anyway, so their archaic hardware doesn't bother me personally. It's a personal thing. I shitpost a lot in threads like this because I genuinely enjoy seeing people GETTING MAD with Nintendo doing well (and they ARE leading the industry right now, which could change of course, but right now they top the power rankings and it's hard to deny it), but I never take seriously and honestly no console warring should be taken seriously. That doesn't mean I'm above getting annoyed, sometimes I genuinely get bothered by some of the insane shit I have to read. I just try to keep it lightly, like having a laugh at the COVID BUMP dude. And hey, this is the Forum where once a based retard once said that NBA 2K was a bigger franchise than Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. Like Nietzsche once said, not shitposting in a shitposting world is by itself shitposting.

I actually read all that and you're a good poster too my man. You made some sensible arguments, though I don't agree very much since Nintendo, for all their microaggressions, steer closer to that PS2 era mentality of games that I absolutely adore. Their overall philosophy pleases me and I'm not a very tech inclined guy anyway, so their archaic hardware doesn't bother me personally. It's a personal thing. I shitpost a lot in threads like this because I genuinely enjoy seeing people GETTING MAD with Nintendo doing well (and they ARE leading the industry right now, which could change of course, but right now they top the power rankings and it's hard to deny it), but I never take seriously and honestly no console warring should be taken seriously. That doesn't mean I'm above getting annoyed, sometimes I genuinely get bothered by some of the insane shit I have to read. I just try to keep it lightly, like having a laugh at the COVID BUMP dude. And hey, this is the Forum where once a based retard once said that NBA 2K was a bigger franchise than Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. Like Nietzsche once said, not shitposting in a shitposting world is by itself shitposting.
Well that's pretty cool then like you said sometimes I'm just shitposting as well though I try not to do it to an extent but it alienates people. Well except in the politics forum over there things get diceier.

Dane

Sony bundled 3 or more free games for holiday seasons with every PS4 sold to inflate the software numbers.

Nintendo Switch in just 3 years made nearly the same profits as PS4 in 7 years thanks to software profits from Nintendo catalogue while Sony was giving away for free their games or selling less than $10 to inflate the numbers.

RNB2S9X.png

Casual gamers usually preferred to buy bundle games which is primarily what Sony did with PS4.

6380812_sd.jpg
ps4bundle1200-1578648031.webp
PS4-PRO-1TB-3-Games-Bundle-3-Months-Subscription-7722042.jpg

Nintendo is a very curious out of the curve case, they have a history of rarely cutting prices of their own software, it used to be on hardware though. Not even that anymore. Even multiplats are more expensive on Switch, its not an affordable console at the short or long term at all compared to PS4 and Xbox One.

Sony and Microsoft first party is known as you said for being sold at half after six months, the only "nintendo" case was Microsoft with the first halo that was sold for 50 bucks for two years until it finally entered into the Platinum Hits range for 20.

njean777

Switch will do well this holiday and until Nintendo decides to release a successor. It is a good console/handheld and deserves props.

Kataploom

Gold Member
LOL @ ppl saying "PS5 and XSX are sold out everywhere, no stock", as if Nintendo Switch had lot of stock available all the time, I just got a used one for around $380 cause a new one are $500 minimum due to lack of offer, people queue in places to get a Switch because unfortunately, it's not widely available as some claim.

Also, pandemic and all, Nintendo this year alone released:

- Animal Crossing
- Xenoblade DE
- Hyrule Warriors AoC (published and co-developed by them)
- Paper Mario Origami King
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions
- Mario 3D All-stars
- Pikmin 3
- That tabletop games collection
- Pokemon Mistery Dungeon remake (WTF, was this rly this year? lol)
- Mario Kart Home Circuit

Some 3rd party games that released exclusively on Switch that I can remember:

- Ninjala
- Fitness Boxing

Nintendo is just killing it for a lot of people, whether their software proposals interest you or not or whether some games were already out on Wii U (the console nobody had so they're new games on peoples minds).

LOL @ ppl saying "PS5 and XSX are sold out everywhere, no stock", as if Nintendo Switch had lot of stock available all the time, I just got a used one for around $380 cause a new one are $500 minimum due to lack of offer, people queue in places to get a Switch because unfortunately, it's not widely available as some claim.

Also, pandemic and all, Nintendo this year alone released:

- Animal Crossing
- Xenoblade DE
- Hyrule Warriors AoC (published and co-developed by them)
- Paper Mario Origami King
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions
- Mario 3D All-stars
- Pikmin 3
- That tabletop games collection
- Pokemon Mistery Dungeon remake (WTF, was this rly this year? lol)
- Mario Kart Home Circuit

Some 3rd party games that released exclusively on Switch that I can remember:

- Ninjala
- Fitness Boxing

Nintendo is just killing it for a lot of people, whether their software proposals interest you or not or whether some games were already out on Wii U (the console nobody had so they're new games on peoples minds).

I can order a Switch right now on Gamestop's website for 300 brand new. There's at least 5 Switches for sale every Friday when I go to Wal-Mart for food shopping. PS5 is only available for exorbitant prices on sites like eBay. This is not a 1:1 scenario at all.

As for the games list... I see... 3 games I'd consider playing? It doesn't look incredibly strong, in fact the way people keep slagging the launch line-up for PS5 makes me wonder what they'd say if the list you just posted was a launch line-up as opposed to all the stuff in a year.

Switch is popular and sells well, no denying it and their first party software is strong even if I feel it doesn't cover as many bases/tastes as SONY does. While it's clear to me why people would be excited by that list of games it should also be clear to you what sort of experiences are missing from it that a PS5 is offering to people.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I can order a Switch right now on Gamestop's website for 300 brand new. There's at least 5 Switches for sale every Friday when I go to Wal-Mart for food shopping. PS5 is only available for exorbitant prices on sites like eBay. This is not a 1:1 scenario at all.

As for the games list... I see... 3 games I'd consider playing? It doesn't look incredibly strong, in fact the way people keep slagging the launch line-up for PS5 makes me wonder what they'd say if the list you just posted was a launch line-up as opposed to all the stuff in a year.

Switch is popular and sells well, no denying it and their first party software is strong even if I feel it doesn't cover as many bases/tastes as SONY does. While it's clear to me why people would be excited by that list of games it should also be clear to you what sort of experiences are missing from it that a PS5 is offering to people.

Well, a simple Amazon search seems to contradict it:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nintendo+switch&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

But let's just say you're right, I'm not from USA and don't buy from GameStop anyway.

In here (latinamerica) Switch is very hard to get even at normal inflated prices we usually have and all vendors I called (a bunch of official and non official resellers) always say the same: "It's hard find at a good price, and even then at high prices it goes instantly, call me in ### weeks to check again when we re-stock"

For that matter, I had to get a Switch Lite instead early in July, so my gf could play AC, it was around $240 then, today it's well over $300 anywhere, since people started buying it when they couldn't find the bigger one.

I've listened the same thing over and over again from friends as well.

Also, regarding the games, most of them are not also for me, maybe AoC and definitely Xenoblade, but the rest aren't even on my radar, the thing is that Nintendo is keeping players busy, those who don't care about most of them are defnitely not their target audience anyway (I wouldn't pay $60 for Paper Mario or Pokemon MD, i.e.).

I mean, who cares about switch?
No one, it seems, just kids, which happen to have more money than adults because Switch is flying out of the shelves (that's a new thing I learned today).

Well, a simple Amazon search seems to contradict it:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nintendo+switch&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

But let's just say you're right, I'm not from USA and don't buy from GameStop anyway.

In here (latinamerica) Switch is very hard to get even at normal inflated prices we usually have and all vendors I called (a bunch of official and non official resellers) always say the same: "It's hard find at a good price, and even then at high prices it goes instantly, call me in ### weeks to check again when we re-stock"

For that matter, I had to get a Switch Lite instead early in July, so my gf could play AC, it was around $240 then, today it's well over $300 anywhere, since people started buying it when they couldn't find the bigger one.

I've listened the same thing over and over again from friends as well.

Also, regarding the games, most of them are not also for me, maybe AoC and definitely Xenoblade, but the rest aren't even on my radar, the thing is that Nintendo is keeping players busy, those who don't care about most of them are defnitely not their target audience anyway (I wouldn't pay $60 for Paper Mario or Pokemon MD, i.e.).

No one, it seems, just kids, which happen to have more money than adults because Switch is flying out of the shelves (that's a new thing I learned today).

That link you showed me has lots of Switch units for sale, if I search PS5 I get a lot of PS4s and one PS5 entry that just says it's unavailable.

Let me show you the page for best-selling Nswitch consoles and PS5 consoles...

GtgayNy.png

mOB2sMd.png

Last edited:

noshten

This Quarter will probably look something like this in North Merica!

October: >700K Switch
November: >1900K Switch;
December: >2500K Switch;
TOTAL: >5100K Switch;

Everything is pointing towards Nintendo selling around what PS5/XSX are selling combined this holiday quarter, while getting very close to 10 million in North America for the calendar year.
Last year they achieved around 6.5 million in North Merica with over 55% of those sales coming in the final quarter of the year.
Now this year they would achieve a smaller percent of sales in the final quarter because 55% would translate to over 11 million units in a calendar year which is a crazy amount.

Now you can theorize that Switch isn't competing with PS5/XSX but I don't buy it, consoles compete with each other and other forms of entertainment that cost consumers money or time. If a consumer is dropping 100+ hours per month into New Horizon that means they are less likely to buy another game to put in 100+ hours a month.

Last edited:

martino

Oh, Mat "hot take" Piscatella is back. He's doing is best to beat Pachter at his own game.

PS5 and Xbox Series X are getting all the headlines because they're the relevant hardware now. That's what being "the real story" means. Contrary to popular belief, people don't play sales.

Only because the other two are much more supply-constrained. If Sony and MS could fulfill the entire demand, there's no doubt the Switch would be a distant third, so that's irrelevant.
You mean people don't play on headlines but on bought hardware..
The real story ! = click/ advert revenue perveted one.

Murdoch

Nobody cares about switch except the millions of people that buy they every month. This is only news if Playstation manages the same feat.

Then we can all post our 'it prints money .gifs'.... Get with the program!

Hezekiah

Banned

RNB2S9X.png

Let me get this right, you're bragging about having to pay full price 2 years after a games release, and not getting decent bundles?? You're outright bizarre 😄.

But if we're talking about profits, Sony's are about to take a significant jump with sales of PS5 games and accessories, not to mention new subscriptions.

'Launch aligned' I think you'll find that PS5 is ahead of Switch. And will be for some time....

Bodomism

Banned
Let me get this right, you're bragging about having to pay full price 2 years after a games release, and not getting decent bundles?? You're outright bizarre 😄.

But if we're talking about profits, Sony's are about to take a significant jump with sales of PS5 games and accessories, not to mention new subscriptions.

'Launch aligned' I think you'll find that PS5 is ahead of Switch. And will be for some time....
Nope, just wanted to correct the Misinformation of your post regarding attach rate of both PS and Nintendo hardware.

Sony profits mostly came from microtransactions , dlc, and subscriptions.

Only because the other two are much more supply-constrained. If Sony and MS could fulfill the entire demand, there's no doubt the Switch would be a distant third, so that's irrelevant.
Indeed, but certain people will gobble every sh*t nintendo drops in their mouth like Lionel Richie Lionel Richie

Playstation is still king, that fact must hurt his feelings.

2cc.jpg

Hezekiah

Banned
Nope, just wanted to correct the Misinformation of your post regarding attach rate of both PS and Nintendo hardware.

Sony profits mostly came from microtransactions , dlc, and subscriptions.
The PS4 attach rate is higher than 11, that's higher than the Switch where third-party games don't sell like they do on PS4 and the library itself is smaller.

You're always bragging about Nintendo's profit margin, this isn't the first time. You post like a shareholder, gamer distant second. Like I said it's bizarre that someone enjoys not getting discounts and handing over more money to a multinational company 🤮.

The PS4 attach rate is higher than 11, that's higher than the Switch where third-party games don't sell like they do on PS4 and the library itself is smaller.

You're always bragging about Nintendo's profit margin, this isn't the first time. You post like a shareholder, gamer distant second. Like I said it's bizarre that someone enjoys not getting discounts and handing over more money to a multinational company 🤮.
The Ps4 attach rate including bundle copies, VR bundle copies and digital only download games is 12.5

Nintendo counts their numbers a little differently.

KingT731

The Ps4 attach rate including bundle copies, VR bundle copies and digital only download games is 12.5

Nintendo counts their numbers a little differently.
Explain further. I'm 100% sure Nintendo counts bundles but if they do count differently I'd like to know how.

magnumpy

the unrelenting nintendo cabal has damaged gaming to such an extent that it may take ps5 ~3 years to rescue us from this horror :(

this horror is called "the past" and gamers everywhere must struggle with all of our might to break free from this fate worse than death :messenger_loudly_crying:

My Switch gets more use than my PS4 these days, so I'm not exactly surprised it's selling like mad.

Add in having multiple for your family because your kids are fighting over who "mains" Animal Crossing, and it's even less of a surprise.

Bodomism

Banned

Sony counted download only titles and Nintendo didn't.

Please take a look at the fiscal year report or quarterly report for both companies in order to understand how software sales were included in their sales number.

Context is really important.

Iced Arcade

cell phones sell more than laptops.

No disrespect, I just see Nintendo completely different than the others. kudos to Nintendo! keep making that money.

Last edited:

StormCell

No disrespect, I just see Nintendo completely different than the others. kudos to Nintendo! keep making that money.

This x100. I don't see what the big ass deal is for most in this thread. I don't see any problem with both Sony and Nintendo selling very well as it simply bodes well for video games in general. What is worrisome, to me at least, is how the PS5 is doing in Japan--that ought to be cause for some concern for anyone who enjoys Japanese games. The console market over there is in a bad bad way.

I had a Nintendo Switch since launch and only really played Smash, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Oddysey and Animal Crossing. Other than that, it's a barebones console with horrible online eco system, stupid restrictions by Nintendo and 3 generations later and still no achievement system. Seriously, fuck Nintendo at this point.

Ogbert

Well, yes.

But Nintendo also has the best and most popular first party games, bar none.

Let’s not pat them on the head and pretend they’re shifting mobile phones.

The switch has had nothing good for the last year. There's nothing good for the PS5 or XSEX if you're not into paying $70 for movie games with leftist messaging or borked open-world copy paste jobs that would be better priced at $40.

Indeed, but certain people will gobble every sh*t nintendo drops in their mouth like Lionel Richie Lionel Richie

Playstation is still king, that fact must hurt his feelings.

Playstation is only king of soylent third person walk 'em ups where you bond with a stepchild. Basic shit for basic people. Nintendo has been smashing that ass sales wise since the Switch dropped, it's not up for debate.

Woopah

For reference, these are the top 5 November numbers in NPD history:

Wii 2008: 2.05M
DS 2009: 1.70M
PS4 2017: 1.69M
XB360 2011: 1.69M
DS 2008: 1.57M

Switch will be on here for sure, and if there is enough stock PS5 could be too.

Hezekiah

Banned
Sony counted download only titles and Nintendo didn't.

Please take a look at the fiscal year report or quarterly report for both companies in order to understand how software sales were included in their sales number.

Context is really important.
I don't study fiscal reports of gaming companies. You reinforce my point with every post 😁.

KingT731

Only gamesf that has a retail release is counted. I'm not sure about bundle copies.
Yeah i was reading their latest report and I see that they separate them in money terms(Retail w/ Digital ver. & Digital Only/DLC/Services) but I didn't see anything indicating that the actual sales numbers of Digital Only titles was not counted towards their software.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Oh, Mat "hot take" Piscatella is back. He's doing is best to beat Pachter at his own game.

PS5 and Xbox Series X are getting all the headlines because they're the relevant hardware now. That's what being "the real story" means. Contrary to popular belief, people don't play sales.

It's actually quite relevant; Switch has quietly captured the cultural zeitgeist and continues to gain momentum while PS5/Xbox fans battle bitterly about which console sits atop their ideological mountain. And sure, you could argue the PS5 and XsX are supply constrained (and they are), but that's really all on Sony and Microsoft for not anticipating demand. Also, you have zero proof that given supply, either console would outsell Switch; that's your theory and I actually don't agree with it. Maybe combined they'd outsell the Switch for November, but I'd need to see the data.

Point is, the Switch is winning with games, and not power, and I find that fascinating.

Top Bottom