• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella NPD: the extended sales strength of Switch will likely be the real story of video game hardware in holiday 2020 not PS5 and XBS

For my part I do not lack respect for Nintendo or how well they're doing. I just think the guy in the tweet has a clear agenda and not because of the singular tweet but because of the history of his behavior. It's very interesting the switch is selling as well as it is, it would be a very interesting factoid if it outsold the PS5 or the series x in November but considering both series x and PS5 keep selling out 100% to the point where I have many friends who are frustrated with their inability to to get one the switch succeeding has no negative connotation in relation to the new consoles making the commentary from this guy weird to me besides my knowledge that he has this agenda.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Interesting that while %50 of NeoGaf engaged in Fanboy/System wars/Most powerful plastic box discussions, a weak-ass tablet (Switch) that barely gets mentioned is over here outselling everything.

Beause at the end of the day, all that matters are fun games. And Swtich has plenty of them.

Also, what does "weak-ass" even mean or better, how is it relevant? Even since the Wii days, the "weak" hardware argument was flawed. Ultimately is doesn't matter how much giga, tera, whatever-flops a console hardware has, as long as it is capable of providing its customers with just plain fun games they like to consume, and that is clearly the case with the Switch.

I don't think having the "faster" hardware is even an advantage these days. AAA gaming is heading towards being both unsustainable as well as damned to just produce "walking simulators" that look pretty, but always feel the same (due to the discrepancy between AAA budgets and risk-taking/innovating/trying something new).

That is probably why so many veteran developers are leaving AAA gaming to form their own studios, so they can finally be free in better realizing their visions.

So all in all, I believe there has NEVER been a console generation, where raw hardware power has been less important than this one.

At the same time, I feel there has NEVER been a time where talking about console hardware power has been more boring/irrelevant.

Bodomism

Banned
For my part I do not lack respect for Nintendo or how well they're doing. I just think the guy in the tweet has a clear agenda and not because of the singular tweet but because of the history of his behavior. It's very interesting the switch is selling as well as it is, it would be a very interesting factoid if it outsold the PS5 or the series x in November but considering both series x and PS5 keep selling out 100% to the point where I have many friends who are frustrated with their inability to to get one the switch succeeding has no negative connotation in relation to the new consoles making the commentary from this guy weird to me besides my knowledge that he has this agenda.
Record breaking sales is very special to him especially for console that's going to enter its 4 years on the market and about to set a new record as the fastest selling hardware too.

Record breaking sales is very special to him especially for console that's going to enter its 4 years on the market and about to set a new record as the fastest selling hardware too.

it is big news I'm not denying that I'm saying it's kind of sad to be like hey ignore these consoles completely selling out to the point no one can buy them because guess what the switch did well as well

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I mean if you literally saying switches number one what's that mean when the supply of PS5 can't mean demand? like people literally can't buy one without going to eBay and spending an extra $500 or something so all it means of switch out sold it is that it was in better supply.
The Switch can't sold out if there's no supply in the first place.

Pimpbaa

SonyGAF literally can't deal with these news lmao.

"B-but muh pixel fillrate!"

Considering a lot of PlayStation owners here have the Switch as their secondary console or as their portable gaming device (since the Vita is long dead), they are probably happy with this news of the Switch selling well.

blackjon24

I would immediately trade in my switch if it meant I could get a ps5. You can't find the system anywhere without paying 3 times the price from scalpers.

The big switch games this holiday is are a sub 30fps musou game and a limited time only port of a 30 year old nes game yayyy

Last edited:
Well, Nintendo always does well during the holidays, so no surprise. And while it's been doing great during the rest of the year, I do wonder how it will fare in 2021 now that we finally have new consoles out.

MagnesG

Banned
He tweets big headlines because it's big, like how he tweets about PS4 passing 113 mill etc.

Please stop with this weird agenda BS. Makes all of you just being salty AF.

Eanox

UK is the weakest market for Nintendo Switch in the top 5 dedicated gaming markets.

1. US the largest market - Nintendo Switch is dominating there and about to become the fastest selling gaming machine after this holiday months.

2. Japan is the second largest - Nintendo domination here is beyond scientific explanation not only in Hardware but also software.

3. France - Another Switch country where most of the physical software sales are Nintendo Switch exclusive with a few 3rd party games like FIFA, COD, and ubisoft games.

4. Germany - Switch is competing with Sony here with Switch software presence is very big but PS console is selling much better than Nintendo launch aligned here.

5. UK - Switch weakest market in comparison to the 4 other markets but the wind of change is starting to come as Nintendo Switch sales in 2020 will be the record breaking year of gaming hardware since X360 in 2010 record breaking year according to UK sales tracker.
Firstly, if you bothered reading the article on the link I provided. This is worldwide sales. PS5 outsold the current holder PS4 so basically PS5 is currently the fastest selling Console if you launch aligned it.

And we also have this to consider as well.

cryptoadam

Banned
Isn't Switch on some sort of 22 month streak or something of being the top selling in the US?

So if Nintendo goes 24 months on top and has a huge Nov + Dec, heck just huge 4th quarter compared to Sony and MS sales (including PS4/XBOX which we know have cratered lately) it would be the real story.

MS and Sony already touted that this was their biggest sales openings ever. So they will for sure have some good press. But PR is PR. Its why they all work so hard to carefully word things to come out number 1, so if Nintendo can claim they dominated next gen out the gate, all the supply issues and what not don't matter in the PR battle.

I think though everyone can agree this is a pretty non hype next gen launch. Even with these consoles selling so much it doesn't really feel like it. I don't have either system and aren't compelled to get them and I bought a PS4 day 1.

Last edited:
He tweets big headlines because it's big, like how he tweets about PS4 passing 113 mill etc.

Please stop with this weird agenda BS. Makes all of you just being salty AF.

What headline is he tweeting? He specifically says all the headlines are about XBOX and PS5 so he wants you to make sure you don't forget his favorite thing.

Last edited:

leo-j

Kinda pathetic imo. Ps4 is barely being made this holiday season, and yet they can’t keep up with switch production. From making millions of ps2 psp and ps3 to barely making ps4 and ps5.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
It's an apples and oranges comparison. Both PS5 and Xbox would outsell the Switch in Nov + Dec if they were more widely available. The early adopter rush for new hardware is always crazy and gets larger each generation. That said, Switch will likely continue to outsell both consoles long term as stock normalizes over the next few months. Nintendo has seen some phenomenal disruptive success similar to Wii. All three console makers are doing really well right now and that's a good thing for all of us.

leo-j

Isn't the Nintendo Switch supply constrained too due to 'artificial scarcity'?

Make no sense that Sony, a company many times bigger than Nintendo, couldn't produce as much or more PS5 than Nintendo can produce the Switch. or maybe Sony is practicing artificial scarcity too to drive up demand.

they always do the artificial demand BS. It was actually with PS4 that they had a perfect launch. Yes they sold out but, they produced enough to meet majority demand. Hence why they sold 4 million by December.
They haven’t announced any numbers this time, other than biggest launch. Which can mean many things. What we do know is it sold 1/3 of PS4 in Japan, and it sold about on par in the US and in the UK, maybe a little more. But the restocks have been abysmal. So as this NPD guy is suggesting, I wouldn’t be surprised if switch sold 3 million in the US and ps5 barely scrapped 2 and Xbox 1 million.

leo-j

It's an apples and oranges comparison. Both PS5 and Xbox would outsell the Switch in Nov + Dec if they were more widely available. The early adopter rush for new hardware is always crazy and gets larger each generation. That said, Switch will likely continue to outsell both consoles long term as stock normalizes over the next few months. Nintendo has seen some phenomenal disruptive success similar to Wii. All three console makers are doing really well right now and that's a good thing for all of us.

considering the fact Sony has dropped PS4 production DRAMATICALLYc As sales have dropped like a rock everywhere for the console ( worse than ps3 era post PS4 launch),and they don’t have the vita and psp to produce, what in the world is keeping them from making as much product as Nintendo is making switch?
It’s BS.

ArtHands

Well, Nintendo always does well during the holidays, so no surprise. And while it's been doing great during the rest of the year, I do wonder how it will fare in 2021 now that we finally have new consoles out.

Its a surprise because everyone thought it was going to die at launch. So it is not only surviving, but performing well in the face of PS5 and new XBox is surprising.

v_iHuGi

Banned
A Console with more available stock, from Nintendo, on holidays... Sells better than brand new boxes without any stock availabe?

Damn Matt Sherlock Piscatella color me surprised.

By all indications, both the PS5 and Series consoles are sold out. So I'm not entirely sure why the Switch leading in holiday sales would be news; the other guys literally ran out of consoles to sell. I think the Switch is in for a record-breaking holiday + even more impressive 2021, because there's really nothing in it's way.

Yeah that $299 Mario Kart bundle was sorta quietly selling out within 10-15 minutes whenever it was posted like it was a new console or something.

I think Nintendo is going to have a monster holiday.

They will, and they 100% deserve it. Nintendo made an excellent platform and have done an incredible job of delivering what people want: great fucking software.

Jon Neu

Banned
For some reason, the Switch makes some Sony fans incredibly angry.

A Console with more available stock, from Nintendo, on holidays... Sells better than brand new boxes without any stock availabe?

Damn Matt Sherlock Piscatella color me surprised.

Let's not pretend most people here weren't (and aren't) claiming the Switch is doomed since years ago.

And here we are, almost 4 years after it's launch and still doing incredible numbers.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Well NSW is mainly for kids, Christmas gifts are also mainly for kids, so it all makes perfect sense. Especially with the lack of supply of other gaming options.

its been out of stocks for almost the entire year, not just Christmas

Orta

Banned
The switch is secusesfull console
Whether Sony ponies like or not

And ps5 is a secusesfull console
Whether ninturds like it or not

So both of you stop fighting like
Smelly home basements virgins
And get a life

612582.jpg

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s not the real story because people aren’t talking about it.

Switch selling like gangbusters has been true for quite a while now. It doesn’t really change the dynamics at play, the demographics and the software being created.

A handheld made by a company famous for its' handhelds, has the handheld market to itself and sells a shit load

This is what happens when 2 of the big 3 let the 1 have the market to themselves. Microsoft should have launched a hand held instead of the S.

Bodomism

Banned
And yet it still is FAR behind PS4 total sales. Also if PS5 had enough units available, PS5 would've outsold everything gaming.
Far behind?

Nintendo Switch is currently around 11 million units behind PS4 total sales in the US.

After this holiday months the gap would be around 7-8 million units and Nintendo Switch is likely to surpass PS4 total sales in Q4 CY2021.

Far behind?

Nintendo Switch is currently around 11 million units behind PS4 total sales in the US.

After this holiday months the gap would be around 7-8 million units and Nintendo Switch is likely to surpass PS4 total sales in Q4 CY2021.

Where do you find these numbers? If Switch is doing so well in USA and we know it's doing well in Japan what markets is it suffering in because there's a big gap worldwide? Is it the UK? I don't see easy to find definite stats on how much of PS4's consoles sold are in America.

Thirty7ven

Banned
A gaming hardware on 4th holiday season doing record breaking sales isn't a normal thing.

Yet attach ratio is sub average, along with no records on software spending. Nintendo leaned heavily on their handheld market and are reaping the rewards, but the Switch is still very much behaving like a Nintendo system which is why 3rd party support is what it is.

v_iHuGi

Banned
A gaming hardware on 4th holiday season doing record breaking sales isn't a normal thing.

- Not a Normal Year
- Nintendo Switch is Huge and Holidays are always big for Nintendo Huge Products
- Nintendo seems to have stock in place since they´re doing 24M this FY alone

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ill get a Nintendo product when they have a machine powerful enough to have most games running at 4K/60.

In otherwords,maybe by 2030.

Woopah

Where do you find these numbers? If Switch is doing so well in USA and we know it's doing well in Japan what markets is it suffering in because there's a big gap worldwide? Is it the UK? I don't see easy to find definite stats on how much of PS4's consoles sold are in America.
The PS4 is ahead because of time, not geography. Launch aligned Switch is ahead of PS4 by shipments (although undoubtedly PS4 will win some countries such as New Zealand and Italy). I don't think we have exact sales for the US but given the fact that Switch is setting records then it is likely that Switch will eventually outsell PS4 in the US.

Top Bottom