• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2012 (Mar 05 - Mar 11)

Wazzim

Banned
Such a shame for Sony. Hardware wise, the Vita is close to handheld perfection in my opinion. Obviously software wise it isn't, but it could have so much potential, if devs would take the risk, but they won't. Wonder what Sony will do now...

Imagine a Rhythm Heaven type game for Vita, for example.

Price drop (most likely a $250 bundle instead) at E3 with new game announcements, that or wait for a miracle.

Is this true? Wii/PS3/360 might not make it to the same sales of PS2/GCN/Xbox but it'll be pretty close. If we include Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP versus PS2/GCN/Xbox/GBA/Dreamcast I think we'd see tremendous growth. Even if we got rid of the PSP.

Year over year is trending down for 2+ years in a row for the traditional retail gaming market (units/soft/hard & revenue) in japan.

KillGore

Price drop (most likely a $250 bundle instead) at E3 with new game announcements, that or wait for a miracle.

Knowing Sony, it'll most likely be a bundle, like you said. 8gb Memory Card + Resistance (or Uncharted) + Super Stardust Delta.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
03/22 Kid Icarus
03/28 Kingdom Hearts 3D
04/22 Fire Emblem
04/24 Mario Tennis Open

3DS will make gamers happy in the coming weeks.

The software isn't there for the Vita yet, a price drop will only provide a temporary boost without much else, if the software needed to sustain the sales isn't present. Sony needs more unique and continuous software, than a price cut.

jrDev

Looking at those SFxT sales, I think Capcom is killing the fighting genre again, saturating it with rereleases every year. Why must companies run successful stuff into the ground?

Anyways, can I officially make the call Vita will never catch the 3DS in its lifetime in either software or hardware? Cannot wait for that fall price drop.

guek

Banned
Year over year is trending down for 2+ years in a row for the traditional retail gaming market (units/soft/hard & revenue) in japan.

This is true worldwide though. You may be right, but I'm more inclined to believe (or would rather believe, take your pick) that it's just this console generation winding down. It's simply gone on too long.

Well couldn't that be chalked up to the ending of the current gaming generation where it's natural for things to start declining? Especially the Wii which fell apart and DS massive decline. Wii and DS held up the sales quite handidly for a few years and now that it's the end of their lifecycles it seems natural that the industry is showing YoY decline. On top of that the small(possibly insignificant) digital software growth.

jman2050

We have seen domination of 3 3DS games and 2 games performing good(HM/RE). In that same time frame we have seen multiple successful games for PS3 and PSP. The software in general for 3DS isn't comparable for all developers to start shifting all their projects to 3DS, that's not realistic thinking in my opinion.

Developers will shift to the 3DS because the PS3/PSP will be dead or near dead two years from now at the most.

Wazzim

Banned
The software isn't there for the Vita yet, a price drop will only provide a temporary boost without much else, if the software needed to sustain the sales isn't present. Sony needs more unique and continuous software, than a price cut.

Having a full holiday schedule without the price drop/bundels would be foolish. They can't risk the coming holiday and have to do everything at once, Japanese games at TGS should help them there.
I agree that the Vita needs cool software but software alone might not be enough to kickstart it like the 3DS.

guek

Banned
Usually we use shipped numbers to talk about worldwide sales, so it should be close to 2M by the end of March.

He said "roughly", lol. But yeah, 17.5M (I'd say 18M) is closer to reality.

kind of crazy that 3DS will beat the GC's LTD by the end of the year

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Because of 1 week? That seems silly to me.

The platforms that currently have clearly defined userbases and are a safest beat to reach profitability (In Japan) are PSP/PS3 for Big/Medium/Small developers, they have the lowest percentage of risk, clearly defined trends and if the aim is to cater the japanese audience they seem to provide the best environment.

So please explain why you think all this should be discounted because of 1 week of data?

That does strike me as illogical.

PSP will be done after this year, big developers have already moved the big franchises away from it. PS3 still has life but is very far from best environment.

3DS will be the clear winner at hw and sw this year, nothing can prevent that.

Well couldn't that be chalked up to the ending of the current gaming generation where it's natural for things to start declining? Especially the Wii which fell apart and DS massive decline. Wii and DS held up the sales quite handidly for a few years and now that it's the end of their lifecycles it seems natural that the industry is showing YoY decline. On top of that the small(possibly insignificant) digital software growth.

We had the 3DS & Vita Released last year. Even though is true that the generations are winding down, we have had new hardware that has failed to stop the decline in the overall market.

Do your homework better before you start posting for sales trends in a sales thread.

PSP will be done after this year, big developers have already moved the big franchises away from it. PS3 still has life but is very far from best environment.

Clearly a thoughtful and substantiated post. You should state what you are referring to if you want.

Edit: New stuff.

PS3 is better than 3DS for Big developers, PSP is better than 3DS for medium to small developers.

However I would say that 3DS & PSP is a better option than just PSP or Vita.

guek

Banned
We had the 3DS & Vita Released last year. Even though is true that the generations are winding down, we have had new hardware that has failed to stop the decline in the overall market.

You're being willfully ignorant though. It's much more complicated than "oh, traditional market is collapsing." The wii was a huge player in the industry for its first 4-5 years on the market, and now that's gone. Of course that would contribute to a downward trend. The PSP+DS market has been severely damaged as well due to Vita's flopptastic performance (which can also be explained by several reasons other than a loss of general interest in traditional gaming). We're in a major transition period that will likely persist for at least another year. And then we'll see an upward trend again, as would be expected with every new generation.

Wazzim

Banned
Clearly a thoughtful and substantiated post. You should state what you are referring to if you want.

PS3 is better than 3DS for Big developers, PSP is better than 3DS for medium to small developers.

It's Chris you are talking to, not some random gamer.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the 3DS's strength in Japan at this point is beyond question, what with it breaking the first year's sales record despite the earthquake/tsunami and continuing economic slump.

I could see the PSP going another year after this if companies decide to do a bunch of PSP/3DS/Vita ports, but it certainly won't be anywhere near as strong as it was last year, let alone this year.

I'd pay mind to his tag.

Edit: You're claim isn't really justified, you're not thinking of things long-term.

I read posts, not tags, no disrespect meant to anyone.

We have no idea about the long term, most game developers only need 1 game to bomb to go out of business, the long term in the traditional gaming market isn't as clear as before.

You're being willfully ignorant though. It's much more complicated than "oh, traditional market is collapsing." The wii was a huge player in the industry for its first 4-5 years on the market, and now that's gone. Of course that would contribute to a downward trend. The PSP+DS market has been severely damaged as well due to Vita's flopptastic performance (which can also be explained by several reasons other than a loss of general interest in traditional gaming). We're in a major transition period that will likely persist for at least another year. And then we'll see an upward trend again, as would be expected with every new generation.

I never attempted to address any of that, I just said that the traditional retail gaming market is contracting (Fact) thus developers will attempt to minimize their risks (Fact). The reasons why and everything else in your post had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

I read posts, not tags, no disrespect meant to anyone.

We have no idea about the long term, most game developers only need 1 game to bomb to go out of business, the long term in the traditional gaming market isn't as clear as before.

I never attempted to address any of that, I just said that the traditional retail gaming market is contracting (Fact) thus developers will attempt to minimize their risks (Fact). The reasons why and everything else in your post had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

If one game bombing puts you out of business, then you shouldn't be in business to begin with.

guek

Banned

Let's look at every week so far this year and compare 3DS and PS3 software sales in the top 50:

PS3 - 80 titles appear between weeks 1 through 9
3DS - 100 titles appear between weeks 1 through 9

3DS also has a substantially smaller installed base. So no, you're wrong.

edit: wait, I might have added the wrong numbers. *goes back to tally again*

edit2: Ok, unless I mistallied again (wholly possible due to PSV PSP and PS3 looking so similar), 3DS is at 100 and PS3 is at 91. I think I skipped a week for PS3 on accident the first time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Let's look at every week so far this year and compare 3DS and PS3 software sales in the top 50:

Also how many third party million sellers does PS3 have in its 5+ years? Now how about the 3DS?

Opiate

This is without considering the fact that PS3 games will in aggregate be considerably more expensive to develop, thus requiring better sales (not comparable ones), and also without considering that this gap is likely to widen, as the 3DS rapidly catches the PS3 in install base and eventually moves beyond it. I would guess that the 3DS' lead in this regard is mostly due to the last 4 months, and not due to the first 8, when it had an install base under 2 million. Again, this trend would only increase with time, not decrease.

You should provide the amount of software sold and Include PSP, Thanks. We are talking about sales after all.

You should provide the amount of software sold and Include PSP, Thanks. We are talking about sales after all.

You're not doing anything to refute his point and are instead trying to move goalposts further and further until it will be implausible to provide enough information to meet your demands.

If you believe additional information would undermine the persuasive data he just presented, you are the one obligated to find it. Until then he has facts on his side and all you have are requests.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

The future for traditional gaming market in Japan is very clear at the moment. Since your mention market shrinking the market will be up again this year.

guek

Banned
Keep in mind, adding up top 50 appearances is relative based on how front loaded sales are in the top 10. If the top 10 outsell 11-50 by a factor of 100:1 and there are substantially more PS3 games in the top 10 vs the 3DS, then it paints a completely different picture.

But I'm too lazy to be that in depth. I have class in 30 minutes anyway. I'd say its relatively safe to say though that 3DS has moved more software this year than PS3.

You're not doing anything to refute his point and are instead trying to move goalposts further and further until it will be implausible to provide enough information to meet your demands.

If you believe additional information would undermine the persuasive data he just presented, you are the one obligated to find it. Until then he has facts on his side and all you have are requests.

I had mentioned PSP/3DS and PS3 in the post he quoted, he needed to provide that info for his response to complete, as given it isn't. You cannot ask me to do what he didn't.

Chris1964 said:
The future for traditional gaming market in Japan is very clear at the moment. Since your mention market shrinking the market will be up again this year.

Is likely to happen but wholly dependent on the performance of the Wii-U and (to extreme lesser degree) the Vita.

I really did not expect my statement to be controversial at all. It seems totally clear to me that if you're a Japanese third party looking to develop a new game, in almost any case the 3DS is far and away the least risky choice for you.

I had mentioned PSP/3DS and PS3 in the post he quoted, he needed to provide that info for his response to complete, as given it isn't. You cannot ask me to do what he didn't.

That's not how it works. He went through the trouble of aggregating data showing that 3DS games have charted high more often than PS3 games. This is information he presented that cannot be factually refuted. Opiate then contextualized that information by explaining that PS3 titles are more expensive to develop and need superior sales to justify further investment, not just comparable sales.

In response to both hard data and reasonable analysis, all you have is "I'm not listening until you get me more numbers that I won't look up myself which may or may not support my argument." At best, you look lazy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really did not expect my statement to be controversial at all. It seems totally clear to me that if you're a Japanese third party looking to develop a new game, in almost any case the 3DS is far and away the least risky choice for you.

Well, perhaps smartphones these days.

But yeah, unless you have something like Resident Evil 6 or something where the audience simply won't follow like a Nippon Ichi title, I don't know what you would target any dedicated device besides the 3DS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Since I'm bored to multiply famitsu percentage will Media Create totals these are the sales in Famitsu top 30 until the week before One Piece for 2012 {2011.12.26 - 2012.02.26}

3DS: 2.144.695
PS3: 977.623
PSP: 686.044

Coxy

Obvious announcement time for Japanese games would be TGS, that's in September, isn't it? Six months away.

Unless they create an event that's appropriate for announcing Japanese games in the interim, there's not going to really be any *venue* to announce titles until then.

It's been said a few times that the next big title that Vita has is the remake of Persona 4... what else is there until September that might be biggish?

Dengeki festival is in like, 4 days

Alternatively SEGA might want to develop the local multiplayer version of Phantasy Star for the 3DS

exceedingly unlikely after the performance of ps0

Spiegel

Well, perhaps smartphones these days.

But yeah, unless you have something like Resident Evil 6 or something where the audience simply won't follow like a Nippon Ichi title, I don't know what you would target any dedicated device besides the 3DS.

I would say that PS3 is the least risky platform, or at least the platform with higher expected sales for most typical third party games (sports, musou, gundam, rpg, action).
PS3 is the top platform for most third parties in their financial reports and Namco Bandai or Tecmo Koei, for example, are making a killing with their most recent PS3 games.

3DS is quite not there yet in Japan and certainly a lot has to change outside of Japan for the 3DS to become the best fit.

But I can see PS3 winding down next year and 3DS picking up much more then.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PS 0 wouldn't be a barometer for potential on the 3DS.

I agree, since it was a game with a different importance compared to the first Portable. And still, it did very good for being a not Portable Phantasy Star.

However, HM did not like Divas, not like I was hoping ( 130k ), but still, not bad either. Certainly, we aren't looking at a bomba. Just at a decent result for the first iteration of the brand on a Nintendo hardware, with radical differences from the PSP ones ( especially with the style ).

Really surprised that MGS3D didn't bomba, seriously. It did too much XD

Let's hope Kingdom Hearts 3D does good: looking at Comgnet preorders, they're very low compared to 358/2 days and BbS, which still had something like one year and much greater install bases of people with the platform able of preordering the game...but in these last weeks, I noticed Comgnet preorders aren't following the normal pattern with most of 3DS releases.

Top Bottom