• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2013 (Mar 11 - Mar 17)

Well youre wrong because no one in the MC thread was calling PSP dead at the time

ah, so were you just going through every MC thread created at that time or what?

Media Create Week 48 2010 (Monster Hunter Portable 3 release week)

PSP was far from dead in Japan then. Hell it was far from dead the year after, going toe to toe with the 3DS until the price cut.

i wasn't just talking about japan. and you would hear the same line even after MH like every week. besides, it's not like people only discuss in MC threads.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet corner - March 20th, 2013

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 313pt
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land - 262pt
[3DS] Kid Icarus Uprising - 118pt
[3DS] Luigi's Mansion 2 - 273pt

Yes, people, it's happening ronpaul.gif

[PS3] One Piece: Kaizoku Musou - 751pt
[PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 7 - 183pt
[PS3] One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 - 267pt
[PSV] One Piece: Kaizoku Musou - 34pt

[PS3] Disgaea 4 - 176pt
[PS3] Disgaea D2 - 98pt

[PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2011 - 59pt
[PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2012 - 49pt
[PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 - 52pt

[PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2011 - 61pt
[PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2012 - 44pt
[PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 - 38pt

wrowa

I swear, with the way some people act here, it's like SAO killed their whole family or something.

I thought the second half of the series in particular was so bad that I just couldn't finish watching SAO, but I can see why it's so popular. I probably would love the series as well would I still be 16 years old.

But I am not. And that's the bottom line. Kids like "stupid" things all the time. No reason to get angry about it.

ah, so were you just going through every MC thread created at that time or what?

i wasn't just talking about japan. and you would hear the same line even after MH like every week. besides, it's not like people only discuss in MC threads.

Ok well go find us someone then. The PSP was basically dead in the west by 2010 though, and this is a MC thread so whu are you talking about what other people said in this thread.

Ricky 7

I thought the second half of the series in particular was so bad that I just couldn't finish watching SAO, but I can see why it's so popular. I probably would love the series as well would I still be 16 years old.

But I am not. And that's the bottom line. Kids like "stupid" things all the time.

My brother likes it and he's a 29 year old doctor so it can't be that bad. I've only seen the first episode and it seemed okay.

L Thammy

wait. wasn't mh realeased on wii u as well in jpn? why no surge then? something seems off

1) It was released in North America now, it was already in Japan.

2) The series is much more popular on handheld than console. Something the handheld titles do something like 200-500% of the console ones.

3) The Wii U release is a port of a 3DS game that had sold over 1.5 million copies since last year. It exists for Western release, online play, and not much else. No new monsters over the 3DS version, no new weapons, etc.

My brother likes it and he's a 29 year old doctor so it can't be that bad. I've only seen the first episode and it seemed okay.

It's what comes after that's the problem. In terms of sales, will SAO pass 200k LTD? It needs another 60/70k (depending on the tracker) so there's an outside chance that it will.

Afrit

Media Create Sales:
05./02. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥5.980) - 29.121 / 121.517 (-68%)

Famitsu:
05./02. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥5.980) - 26.561 / 132.424 (-75%)

Second week sales for "big" PS Vita releases:

[PSV] Persona 4 Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329) - 18.069 / 170.568 (-88%)
[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f # <ACT> (Sega) {2012.08.30} (¥7.329) - 16.807 / 174.816 (-89%)
[PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.02.28} (¥6.980) - 15.023 / 106.662 (-84%)

I'm optimistic!

Yes. There were sourcing questions, translation questions and it sort of went against everything we'd heard before on DQX. Best to wait until SE releases a statement themselves I think.

Here we go, courtesy of Aeana:

Aena said:
[16:16] Aeana http://sankei.jp.msn.com/economy/new...7070018-n1.htm
[16:18] Aeana They claim it's advancing steadily, but it wasn't the big hit that they expected.

Or, effectively, not meeting expectations.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. Maybe you just didn't like what was reported.

Good hold for Vita; ok Soul Sacrifice, but with such a limited userbase it couldn't have done more in the second week. Now it's important to see how the platform will perform in next months.

nickcv

just for fun i made some YTD pie charts

tDBPoKq.png

y6JVExR.png

Seems pretty straight forward to me. Maybe you just didn't like what was reported.
Different comments appearing in different translations and also questions on what was literally said and what was author interpretation (ie: did SE pr MSN blame DQX). There was a slightly different translation/interpretation in the thread from a native Japanese speaker (farnham's wife).

Don't worry, if DQX is at fault for SE's missing targets there's no doubt they'll let us know all about it in the next IR report.

Good hold for Vita; ok Soul Sacrifice, but with such a limited userbase it couldn't have done more in the second week. Now it's important to see how the platform will perform in next months.
Hopefully SS will get some good word of mouth and gain some legs. That would keep hardware sales at a good baseline.

20K would be nothing short of miraculous given the software lineup from here on out, IMO, but we'll see.

Here's a list of games that are not system sellers IMO, for various reasons, but are decent SW that could keep HW sales stable:

3/20 - One Piece 2
3/20 - Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2013
3/28 - Oboro Muramasa
5/23 - Valhalla Knights 3
TBD - God Eater 2
TBD - FFX
TBD - FFX-2
TBD - Jump

There is a BIG gap of almost 2 months with no significant software. GE2 and FFX/FFX-2 have both been rumored to be June releases. I think it's highly unlikely that Vita does not go back down to sub 10k in April.

Different comments appearing in different translations and also questions on what was literally said and what was author interpretation (ie: did SE pr MSN blame DQX). There was a slightly different translation/interpretation in the thread from a native Japanese speaker (farnham's wife).

Don't worry, if DQX is at fault for SE's missing targets there's no doubt they'll let us know all about it in the next IR report.

I'm not worried at all. I actually think the game did great for being an MMO and I've said as much. You seem to be worried trying to discredit it though. I would take Aena's translation and Nirolak's post over farnham's wife, but that's just me.

zroid

Banned
20k would be incredibly healthy and far better than what this week's drop indicates. I think it'll go to 10-15k real soon, but I could be wrong.

20K would be nothing short of miraculous given the software lineup from here on out, IMO, but we'll see.

I agree that it's optimistic, but seeing Soul Sacrifice perform rather well (including dual packs and digital, probably one of the more successful new IPs in recent times), instills some confidence that a lot of people in Japan really were just waiting for that price to hit a sweet spot. I could be off base, of course, but we'll find out soon enough.

FoneBone

I agree that it's optimistic, but seeing Soul Sacrifice perform rather well (including dual packs and digital, probably one of the more successful new IPs in recent times), instills some confidence that a lot of people in Japan really were just waiting for that price to hit a sweet spot. I could be off base, of course, but we'll find out soon enough.
I'd have expected significantly higher sales than we got if there was really a lot of pent-up demand.

zroid

Banned
I'd have expected significantly higher sales than we got if there was really a lot of pent-up demand.

Well, 20k baseline isn't exactly great; I certainly wouldn't say there was that much latent demand. (poor choice of words on my part earlier, perhaps)

I'm not worried at all. I actually think the game did great for being an MMO and I've said as much. You seem to be worried trying to discredit it though. I would take Aena's translation and Nirolak's post over farnham's wife, but that's just me.
The point being, there was a 4 page thread with various questions and interpretations over what exactly was said and by who. All I'm saying is it's best to wait for an official statement from SE, which if it's true we will assurredly get.

I'm not putting Aeana over or under Farnham's Japanese wife or attempting to discredit anyone, I'm just saying the article was unclear and questionable and the thread pretty much showed that. Though if you like what you hear, I guess I can see why you wouldn't want to wait for SE to actually make a statement. ;)

test_account

XP-39C²
I hope for Nintendo's sake that the current WiiU owners are really hungry for new games. I'm really wondering how Game & Wario will sell.

It baffles my mind what the hell attracts japanese people with MH. It's just... bang, phenomenon. It's like they were brainwashed to love MH.

And it doesn't seem to stop, even if the subsequent games only add more of the same (like, new weapons, armor, monsters, etc).
It took a while before it happend in my opinion. Looking at the sales of Monster Hunter Portable, the sales gradually increased, and after this it just became more and more popular.

I havnt tried Monster Hunter myself, but the feeling of playing/working together can be great. I've been playing Earth Defence Force 2017 Portable online, and i think it is great to complete a difficult mission with co-op :)

Bruno MB

Professor Layton (3DS) third week sales:

[3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle <ADV> (Level 5) {2011.02.26} (¥5.980) - 29.322 / 209.545 (-53%) [LTD - 354.344]

[3DS] Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney <ADV> (Level 5) {2012.11.29} (¥5.980) - 22.718 / 193.619 (-36%) [LTD - 288.269]

[3DS] Professor Layton and the Legacy of Civilization A <ADV> (Level 5) {2013.02.28} (¥5.500) - 15.588 / 178.820 (-49%)

It's quite painful to watch the decline of this franchise, now it's truly on its last legs. This last chapter won't even reach 300.000 units.

Well, everything eventually comes to an end.

Lol People want this to fail so bad.

You know, it doesn't have to 'fail' even if it doesn't become 'the next Monster Hunter'. Though I think it's too early to say. The small Vita userbase has to have some crippling effects to its potential but if it can maintain a reasonable baseline week over week and strong word of mouth it could do really well in the long run. It has already started pretty well for a new IP anyway.

NeonZ

I have to ask Nintendo, where, for the love of god, is release date for Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101? Just finish them already.

I think they realize that just releasing those games in the middle of a complete drought would do nothing for the system. Hopefully, they'll have some announcements for the second half of the year and can chain late releases of those games together with them. Really, it's the only reason I can see for delaying them, considering how they certainly will never make something like Pikmin a big important franchise.

Lol People want this to fail so bad.

It probably won't fail relative to reasonable expectations for a new IP on the platform (it'll likely at least break 200K with digital included). Relative to the MHP-esque killer app that Sony clearly, desperately wanted it to be, it almost certainly will.

It probably won't fail relative to reasonable expectations for a new IP on the platform (it'll likely at least break 200K with digital included). Relative to the MHP-esque killer app that Sony clearly, desperately wanted it to be, it almost certainly will.
My bet is that their objective for now is to provide their own alternative and build on the IP for possible sequels. I don't think anyone is seriously expecting MH levels of success for the first game in a new IP.

I think they realize that just releasing those games in the middle of a complete drought would do nothing for the system. Hopefully, they'll have some announcements for the second half of the year and can chain late releases of those games together with them. Really, it's the only reason I can see for delaying them, considering how they certainly will never make something like Pikmin a big important franchise.

So 6-7 months on market with only Wii Fit U as title which might sell >50k ?

I'd think it would have huge repercussions on customer perception of the system even with chained releases later.

Stuart444

But I am not. And that's the bottom line. Kids like "stupid" things all the time. No reason to get angry about it.

And I'm 24 and I don't think it's stupid though I happily admit, the second half of the series is worse than the first half by a large margin.

Then again, I read that the guy planned to finish it after the first arc however he went back and quickly wrote in the second arc because of unprecedented popularity or something.

I hear the third arc (which we'll get if/when we get a S2) is much better than the 'flying fairy' arc.

Personally, I'm hoping Asuna returns to form since she was too much of a DiD except in one section during the flying fairy arc. :/

My bet is that their objective for now is to provide their own alternative and build on the IP for possible sequels. I don't think anyone is seriously expecting MH levels of success for the first game in a new IP.

Maybe, but what else was Sony expecting/hoping to keep hardware sales moving after the initial price cut/SS bumps wore off?

Maybe, but what else was Sony expecting/hoping to keep hardware sales moving after the initial price cut/SS bumps wore off?
The games featured in the last Sony Direct are releasing in the next few weeks. They aren't system sellers by a long shot but they should sustain some decent hardware numbers (>=15k). It's the lack of game releases after those that should prove troublesome.

Vita sales are quite a bit highere than the predictions I was seeing in the last thread which usually varied between 25-30k, good signs of life here. Wii U has stabilized just south of 10k, this is as how as it will go with DQ still on the way I suppose.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Honestly, people say they really hate SAO but I honestly don't think they hate it THAT much. I think there are people who just say hate it cuz everyone else really hates it. I'm sure there are aspects of it that people hate or there are people who truly hate the show but I think the vast majority finds it okay and nothing extremely harmful. Meh. SAO readers being tsundere. LOLOLOLOL.

joke.

firehawk12's SAO Episode 24 review

Is this the tirade you were looking for?

Can't believe it took so many pages until someone posted this.

How many copies did you buy?

All the ones that have Silica. More deban.

Nah it's just GAF - something which isn't perfect must be total shit ;)

Well... that's not entirely true.

My god, SAO is number 1 plus it beaten KH 1.5 and SRW. Where are my sedatives.......

Fuck you Kawahara.

Kawahara starting a cultural revolution.

Can you waifu Suguha in the new SAO game?

I think so?

Nomura just saw the sales.

i7kw48Odmhaqn.gif

More Keyblade wielding harem plox is probably what Nomura fans want. ROFL.

It all thanks to 16.5 :p

It doesn't exist.

Don't worry. I ended up getting confused and thinking I was going crazy too. Hahaha.

And hey, at least you don't have to see Japanese students with Asuna pencil boards. =(

ROFL. Hilarious.

Top Bottom